2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
OP Offline
V
Two of my students want to play the same Petzold Minuet in G Major at a school concert. I do not know which of these two to choose for public performance?

Please advise.

And what would you recommend to fix in the music of the other one? What are his problems in this piece?

I will appreciate ANY COMMENTS!

For listening simply click on link.

Petzold Minuet in G-Major

Student A https://yadi.sk/d/i8xMLWtrL2xmww

Student B https://yadi.sk/d/UQMQpsne4qnnPQ

Thank you in anticipation!

Vladimir

Vladimir Dounin
B
B
Student B sounds better. I'm a (very new) student, not a teacher, so I can't provide a whole lot of feedback. Student B flows better. Sounds like A just needs to practice more, and remember not to drop bits at the end of notes. It's like s/he's adding a bunch of mini rests throughout the piece.

E
E
I wonder what you are really trying to achieve with this and the thread before. Why can't you simply ask?

B
B
Originally Posted by Eric399
I wonder what you are really trying to achieve with this and the thread before. Why can't you simply ask?

New teacher? Doubting his own judgement? I'd be interested in hearing him answer his own question as perhaps a better way to start a discussion.

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Blague

New teacher? Doubting his own judgement? I'd be interested in hearing him answer his own question as perhaps a better way to start a discussion.

" In English "Since I doubt, I think; since I think I exist" -Descartes

Vladimir Dounin
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Blague
Student B sounds better. I'm a (very new) student, not a teacher, so I can't provide a whole lot of feedback. Student B flows better. Sounds like A just needs to practice more, and remember not to drop bits at the end of notes. It's like s/he's adding a bunch of mini rests throughout the piece.

Thank you very Much!

It is so interesting to hear from you.

What about these two renditions of the same piece?

A . https://yadi.sk/d/y-eS8tTmBHS64w

B. https://yadi.sk/d/uQiphKUxwhtufg

Which pianist out of these two do you prefer?

What are your reasons for your opinion?

What would you fix in the way of playing of another pianist?

Thanks in advance!

Vladimir

Vladimir Dounin
V
OP Offline
V

Well, let us bargain! I answer all the question honestly but not free.

You and everyone interesting should answer first my LAST question on this topic:

In the well known to everyone song "Happy birthday to you!" which note should be louder: on "TO" or on "YOU"?

Thank you in advance!

Vladimir

Vladimir Dounin
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Vladimir Dounin

And what would you recommend to fix in the music of the other one?

reverse mitosis?

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Two of my students want to play the same Petzold Minuet in G Major at a school concert. I do not know which of these two to choose for public performance?

Vladimir

Vladimir,
You have lost my trust, so I will not participate.

I do not believe you really have two students who want to play.

If you said, "here are two renditions of a piece of music that I would like feedback on," if you were simply honest, then I would be willing to give feedback.

I find setting up fake concerts and fake students to make some kind of point, a point you are unwilling to share explicitly, offensive.

If that is not the case, if you really are in a quandary over two real students at a real concert, then I abjectly apologize.

gotta go practice
M
M
Originally Posted by TimR

Vladimir

Vladimir,

If you said, "here are two renditions of a piece of music that I would like feedback on," if you were simply honest, then I would be willing to give feedback.

I find setting up fake concerts and fake students to make some kind of point, a point you are unwilling to share explicitly, offensive.

If that is not the case, if you really are in a quandary over two real students at a real concert, then I abjectly apologize.

Ditto.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Please advise.

And what would you recommend to fix in the music of the other one? What are his problems in this piece?

Vladimir

B is better, but glaring weaknesses in both.

I don't believe this is a student. I think you are playing both times, highlighting different articulation. Or someone else is playing both, same thing.

The weaknesses are not common student weaknesses. Same tempo for both. Both are rushed. Why? The LH is weak in comparison to the RH, so LH is underplayed. Ornaments are non-standard. I don't like them.

Last edited by Gary D.; 03/11/19 01:17 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Vladimir

Vladimir,

Ditto.

Ditto. He is jerking our chains...

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gary D.

Vladimir

Vladimir,

Ditto.

I think so, too. Back in 2005 on this thread, he claims to have experience as an adjudicator...

Judging from my experience as an adjudicator, this �self-expression� instead of knowledge of basics of music is a real problem for teaching nowadays.

and that he's been

...gathering and testing these rules for more than 40 years...

Interesting replies, too, to his other thread from 2005, like this comment:

Originally Posted by pianocliff
He actually posted the same thing to like 20 online forums. Anything from Math or Physics to Piano...This guy really needs a vacation ...heehee

~pianocliff

If he's had as many years of experience teaching, adjudicating, "gathering and testing" [musical data] as he's claiming (I have my doubts), then he doesn't need to be posting the sorts of questions he's been asking here lately.

Vladimir, what's the truth? Who are you, and what do you want from us?

And what's up with your posting history? Your first six threads that you started were over the course of 13 years, beginning in 2005, and you never responded to any reply you got until July 2018. The remaining 48 posts you've made in this forum have entirely been in that month and this.

First it was post, then cut and run; now it's bombard us with post after post, basically asking us the same thing over and over, with only slight variations.

"Please, help!"??

Please be honest about yourself and your intentions. I have never known an adjudicator to be as desperate for information on evaluating performances as you appear to be. Your "credentials," as put forth in your posts from 2005, look highly suspect now.

Last edited by Andamento; 03/11/19 03:11 PM.
All the playing in both threads sounded to my ear like they were being done by the same person, and in the "three students" thread Mr. Dounin stated at one point that it was so for those students. I think his actual goal is to eventually bring across some ideas he has about what should be stressed about playing, or something like that. This is a laudable goal. I'm sure that all here would be open to hearing those ideas and considering them, if this is so. But what we're getting is a scenario about a teacher needing to make decisions about students and performance placements.

I don't usually write in riddles, but I did last night with this post:
Originally Posted by keystring

And what would you recommend to fix in the music of the other one?

reverse mitosis?

Mitosis is the splitting of one cell into two, and I was alluding to the idea of one single person generating two performances. If both performances come from the hands of one same individual, then to fix the playing of "student worse", just go back to the original player who has all the necessary skills. i.e. unsplit the split. If there are actually different students, then I was wrong to post that.

If a teacher wishes to explore ideas with fellow teachers, then many would be up to it, when they have the time. Otoh, if a teacher needs help with a situation, there is an urgency to that which makes colleagues drop everything to help with that emergency - and if the scenario is not real this bothers me. The Internet requires a certain degree of trust because we are strangers meeting in a sea of words.

As an OT, while checking that I had the word "mitosis" right I discovered that there "reverse mitosis" actually exists and holds some exciting medical promises.

M
M
As an OT, while checking that I had the word "mitosis" right I discovered that there "reverse mitosis" actually exists and holds some exciting medical promises.

But, alas, I'm afraid such medical advancements won't be helpful for Students A & B.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
V
OP Offline
V

Vladimir

Vladimir,

All these forums are just kind of game. I am within the rules of game. I do not insult anyone. Why do you call me "offensive"?

Please, read my post on BOURLESQUE. I am absolutely open there.

All the best!

Vladimir

Vladimir Dounin
V
OP Offline
V

If a teacher wishes to explore ideas with fellow teachers, then many would be up to it, when they have the time. Otoh, if a teacher needs help with a situation, there is an urgency to that which makes colleagues drop everything to help with that emergency - and if the scenario is not real this bothers me. The Internet requires a certain degree of trust because we are strangers meeting in a sea of words.

All these forums are just a kind of a fun game. I am within the rules of game. I do not insult anyone. I am just playing with you like with partners in a card game.

Please, read my post on BOURLESQUE. I am absolutely open there.

The next will be the "Sweat Dream" by Tchaikovsky (as soon as I get score).

All the best!

Vladimir

Vladimir Dounin
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Andamento
[quote=Vladimir Dounin]Two of my students want to play the same Petzold Minuet in G Major at a school concert. I do not know which of these two to choose for public performance?

Vladimir

Vladimir,

Ditto.

I think so, too. Back in 2005 on this thread, he claims to have experience as an adjudicator...

Judging from my experience as an adjudicator, this �self-expression� instead of knowledge of basics of music is a real problem for teaching nowadays.

and that he's been

He actually posted the same thing to like 20 online forums. Anything from Math or Physics to Piano...This guy really needs a vacation ...heehee

~pianocliff

If he's had as many years of experience teaching, adjudicating, "gathering and testing" [musical data] as he's claiming (I have my doubts), then he doesn't need to be posting the sorts of questions he's been asking here lately.

And what's up with your posting history? Your first six threads that you started were over the course of 13 years, beginning in 2005, and you never responded to any reply you got until July 2018. The remaining 48 posts you've made in this forum have entirely been in that month and this.

First it was post, then cut and run; now it's bombard us with post after post, basically asking us the same thing over and over, with only slight variations.

"Please, help!"??

Please be honest about yourself and your intentions. I have never known an adjudicator to be as desperate for information on evaluating performances as you appear to be. Your "credentials," as put forth in your posts from 2005, look highly suspect now. [/quote]

Please advise.

Vladimir

B is better, but glaring weaknesses in both.

I don't believe this is a student. I think you are playing both times, highlighting different articulation. Or someone else is playing both, same thing.

The weaknesses are not common student weaknesses. Same tempo for both. Both are rushed. Why? The LH is weak in comparison to the RH, so LH is underplayed. Ornaments are non-standard. I don't like them.

Vladimir Dounin
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Andamento
[quote=Vladimir Dounin]Two of my students want to play the same Petzold Minuet in G Major at a school concert. I do not know which of these two to choose for public performance?

Vladimir

Vladimir,

Ditto.

and that he's been

~pianocliff

"Please, help!"??

Please be honest about yourself and your intentions. I have never known an adjudicator to be as desperate for information on evaluating performances as you appear to be. Your "credentials," as put forth in your posts from 2005, look highly suspect now. [/quote]

How to play and sing "Happy Birthday"?
I am so frustrated with all this unexpected criticism that I forgot: how to play with both hands and all five fingers.
Now I study again and play with only one finger.

Please tell me where my music is better, and where is worse:
on "A" versions or on "B" versions?

Thanks in advance!

Vladimir

https://yadi.sk/d/H8ODGg42DujdWg HP

https://yadi.sk/d/qii0SlGGmBUrqg HN

https://yadi.sk/d/5k3Ip0terBDr1Q LP

https://yadi.sk/d/JFLFrAEqCPjjgQ LN

https://yadi.sk/d/tl3dW9vNMrNt2w HN

Vladimir Dounin
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission