Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (barbaram, Apoll0, AlphaBravoCharlie, Barly, Avalanch, Animisha, BadGirlBlues, 36251, 29 invisible), 3,187 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights #2825113
03/10/19 10:55 PM
03/10/19 10:55 PM
S
saksham Offline OP
saksham  Offline OP
S

Hi! I'm an adult beginner/intermediate player who wants to switch from digital to acoustic piano. I went to various stores and tried out Yamaha (JX113 & U1J), Essex (EUP116, EUP123), Kawai (K15, ND21, K300, K500, K600) and Schimmel (C126 Classic & K132 Koncert).

Honestly, I loved the sound and action on Schimmel but that is a bit beyond my budget (not beyond affordability), so I'm thinking of sticking with Kawai.

But, one of the stores informed me that Steinway has come up with a new offer where the cost of a piano (either Essex, Boston or S&S) will be completely adjusted with a new purchase of either of these 3 brands if purchased within 10 years.

My main concern is that I do not want to think about replacing the piano for at least next 5-6 years. Here are the local prices (converted to USD) of the models I'm considering:

1. Kawai K500 $8300
2. Kawai K800 $10600
3. Essex EUP123 $10400
4. Schimmel C126 $17300
5. Schimmel K132 $24300

Are the higher end models of Essex/Boston/Steinway worth it to purchase it now and replace with a better one within 10 years with the whole price ($10400) being adjusted in that purchase?

Is it worth spending the extra bucks on Schimmel rather that going for Kawai, which I feel fulfils my needs as of now. Also, I looked up the prices of Schimmel in other countries and found that I'm getting a big discount here as compared with other markets, should I take advantage of that disparity in price?

TIA

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: saksham] #2825153
03/11/19 01:11 AM
Phoenix, AZ
agraffe Offline
agraffe  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Hi saksham, it seems to me that you make a good case for buying a Kawai, but an even better case for getting a Schimmel. The Schimmel pianos you have tried speak to your ears and your heart, so since you've got the money for one and the price is fair, my best advice is that given often on this forum: Get the best piano you can afford; you will never regret it. I hope that helps, but I think you have to follow your heart.

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: saksham] #2825155
Queensland, Australia
backto_study_piano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
backto_study_piano  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Queensland, Australia
The best upright I've ever played was a SCHIMMEL - but the KAWAI K series are very good. One of those would probably have been what I'd have bought if I didn't go for a grand.

You mentioned the YAMAHA JX113 & U1J - they're Indonesian, and no match to the YAMAHAs made in Japan. I checked them out for Mum a few years ago, she bought the YUS1 which was far superior. The YAMAHA YUS series is their equivalent to the KAWAI K series.

(I wouldn't consider an ESSEX.)

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: backto_study_piano] #2825175
03/11/19 02:56 AM
03/11/19 02:56 AM
S
saksham Offline OP
saksham  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by backto_study_piano
The best upright I've ever played was a SCHIMMEL - but the KAWAI K series are very good. One of those would probably have been what I'd have bought if I didn't go for a grand.

You mentioned the YAMAHA JX113 & U1J - they're Indonesian, and no match to the YAMAHAs made in Japan. I checked them out for Mum a few years ago, she bought the YUS1 which was far superior. The YAMAHA YUS series is their equivalent to the KAWAI K series.

(I wouldn't consider an ESSEX.)

Thanks for your input Alan! I too wanted to try Japanese made YAMAHAs before deciding, but the only models available in the stores are Indonesian. I would definitely give the YUS series a try if I can before buying!

Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: saksham] #2825196
03/11/19 04:43 AM
03/11/19 04:43 AM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
If the price holds you back when it comes to buying a Schimmel don't be afraid to look to a smaller model. Especially if you're also looking at smaller Kawai's. I play a Schimmel 116 Classic and although I might be biased it is a wonderful instrument which punches well above its weight. As you might have read/tried those uprights do sound and play very well but it doesn't stop there: They hold tunings very well and it happens often that after half a year the tuning is almost equal to a week after tuning. The sound of the bigger Schimmels is of course bigger but I would not necessarily say better. Especially the bass of the 116 is very good and not just for its size. The touch is very good, maybe lighter then you're used to. In my opinion the Kawai's and Yamaha's don't even come close, let alone an Essex.

Last edited by WimPiano; 03/11/19 04:44 AM.
Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: WimPiano] #2825277
03/11/19 08:33 AM
03/11/19 08:33 AM
S
saksham Offline OP
saksham  Offline OP
S

Originally Posted by WimPiano
If the price holds you back when it comes to buying a Schimmel don't be afraid to look to a smaller model. Especially if you're also looking at smaller Kawai's. I play a Schimmel 116 Classic and although I might be biased it is a wonderful instrument which punches well above its weight. As you might have read/tried those uprights do sound and play very well but it doesn't stop there: They hold tunings very well and it happens often that after half a year the tuning is almost equal to a week after tuning. The sound of the bigger Schimmels is of course bigger but I would not necessarily say better. Especially the bass of the 116 is very good and not just for its size. The touch is very good, maybe lighter then you're used to. In my opinion the Kawai's and Yamaha's don't even come close, let alone an Essex.

What would your say be on the Fridolin series of Schimmel?

Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: saksham] #2825289
03/11/19 08:56 AM
03/11/19 08:56 AM
The Netherlands
W
WimPiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member
WimPiano  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
W

The Netherlands
I haven't played them, they seem to be in a different league according to piano buyer. I did like Vogel (now Wilhelm Schimmel).

Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: saksham] #2825427
03/11/19 01:37 PM
03/11/19 01:37 PM
Danville, California
F
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Furtwangler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
F

Danville, California
For what it is worth, I would pretty much agree with the advice you have received so far.

I like Kawai instruments a lot.

The prices you have been quoted for the Kawai verticals are quite fair.

The Essex price that you mention above is an insult to one's intelligence. Enough said.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: saksham] #2825903
03/12/19 01:52 PM
03/12/19 01:52 PM
Fountain Valley
Zed Gong Offline
Zed Gong  Offline

Fountain Valley
The Fridolins are designed by Schimmel just as Essex is designed by Steinway. Fridolin is Schimmel's way of offering an affordable version to folks with very limited budget. Fridolins are made by Pearl River, same as Essex. In our store the Fridolins ranges around 5-6k brand new. They are still wonderful pianos.

But if you can afford the Schimmel..... there's your answer right there!(My opinion only) Schimmel makes top quality uprights. I've had customers tell me they like the Schimmel action even better than Bösendorfers!

Sales Associate

Keyboard Concepts Fountain Valley

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche.
Re: Karwai vs Schimmel Uprights [Re: saksham] #2826025
03/12/19 06:58 PM
03/12/19 06:58 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
If you can ,go for the Schimmel K132 .Of course everyone here expects me to say that .I have tried a smaller Schimmel Classic series. It was about 44 inches high.The sound seem to lack clarity
It also needed tuning and was surrounded by tall uprights.So it was
difficult to judge
Kawai. 500 and 800 would be my next choice .

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Which piano do I keep?
by 2Pianos. 09/16/19 10:10 PM
[article] When the Pianos Went to War
by Chrispy. 09/16/19 05:15 PM
Kawai or Yamaha?
by Dkrs60. 09/16/19 03:57 PM
Printing on uncoated paper?
by Chrispy. 09/16/19 01:50 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,071
Posts2,870,294
Members94,435
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission