Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (cmb13, Cudo, BigIslandGuy, brendon, CyberGene, ando, 16 invisible), 1,293 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: Gombessa] #2747678
06/28/18 12:58 AM
06/28/18 12:58 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

I didn't realize my reply implied that customers should self-help and cut the wire themselves, but upon re-reading, it could be interpreted that way. It wasn't my intent, thanks for the clarification James.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2822039
03/02/19 05:33 PM
03/02/19 05:33 PM
A
Audetto Offline
Audetto  Offline
A

My CA78 has started showing this issue.
It is almost 1 year old.

Before getting the engineer to cut the cable, I wanted to find out the final word or potential side effects of cutting the cable.
I seem to read above that it is safe, but I wanted to be 100% sure before triggering the repair.

Regards

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: Audetto] #2822494
03/03/19 07:48 PM
03/03/19 07:48 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Audetto,

Originally Posted by Audetto
It is almost 1 year old.

I wonder why you're experiencing this issue now, and not before.
Did you move your CA78 recently, perhaps into a carpeted room?

Before getting the engineer to cut the cable, I wanted to find out the final word or potential side effects of cutting the cable.I seem to read above that it is safe, but I wanted to be 100% sure before triggering the repair.

It should be fine. However, ensure that the technician is referring to the correct instructions document, issue by Kawai. This should be available from the Kawai local distributor.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2824344
03/08/19 04:40 PM
03/08/19 04:40 PM
A
Audetto Offline
Audetto  Offline
A

I got an appointment and they guarantee me they have been working for Kawai for 30 years, so they should know.

In any case, does this issue have a name or code so they can probably refer to some list of known issues and likely solutions?

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: Audetto] #2825154
03/11/19 01:11 AM
03/11/19 01:11 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Audetto,

I got an appointment and they guarantee me they have been working for Kawai for 30 years, so they should know.

In any case, does this issue have a name or code so they can probably refer to some list of known issues and likely solutions?

Yes, modification instructions to resolve this LCD reset problem were issued some time ago, however I'm not sure if the code number is something that I can freely post on this forum.

May I ask where you are based, and the name of the distributor you are in contact with regarding this issue, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: Kawai James] #2825314
03/11/19 09:55 AM
03/11/19 09:55 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by Kawai James
It is almost 1 year old.

I wonder why you're experiencing this issue now, and not before.
Did you move your CA78 recently, perhaps into a carpeted room?

Hi! My CA98 is a little over 1 year old and I have experienced a number of resets recently. For many months I did not experience any resets at all and I plug headphones almost on a daily basis. The DP has been placed on the same carpet for the whole time. However, if the issue is related to electrostatic discharges, changes in ambient humidity may contribute to this situation. I will contact Kawai Europe directly for support.

May I ask if performing key levelling is something that can be requested from Kawai since the DP is still under warranty? A few white keys on the top two octaves sit slightly "higher" than the neighbouring keys. It is a minor difference but I wonder if this can be corrected while the DP is open to repair the touchscreen. Thanks!

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: arc7urus] #2825321
03/11/19 10:05 AM
03/11/19 10:05 AM
Austria, EU
L
lophiomys Offline
500 Post Club Member
lophiomys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Austria, EU
Originally Posted by arc7urus

SNIP
However, if the issue is related to electrostatic discharges, changes in ambient humidity may contribute to this situation.
SNIP

How many other electronic devices have you seen failing because of low or high "ambient humidity" at the same time?

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: lophiomys] #2825378
03/11/19 12:11 PM
03/11/19 12:11 PM
Switzerland
P
paf Offline OP
paf  Offline OP
P

Switzerland
Originally Posted by lophiomys

How many other electronic devices have you seen failing because of low or high "ambient humidity" at the same time?

Not a single one, when well engineered. But we are speaking here about a bug which could be well related to static electricity and ambient humidity.

Kawai CA98, Technics SX-PX 201 with homemade multitrack MIDI recorder based on an Arduino
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: Kawai James] #2825537
03/11/19 06:07 PM
03/11/19 06:07 PM
A
Audetto Offline
Audetto  Offline
A

May I ask where you are based, and the name of the distributor you are in contact with regarding this issue, please?

Kind regards,
James
x

UK, dealer is Rose Morris in London.
Repair: WDO Green (if I have spelt it correctly)

Kawai CA78
(previously Kawai KDP90)
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: lophiomys] #2825539
03/11/19 06:11 PM
03/11/19 06:11 PM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by lophiomys

SNIP
However, if the issue is related to electrostatic discharges, changes in ambient humidity may contribute to this situation.
SNIP

I assume you are aware that there is a correlation between relative humidity and electrostatic discharges (ESD). Low humidity levels do not promote electrostatic conductivity and therefore increase the likelihood of ESD. The opposite happens with higher relative humidity levels. Combine the lower dew point of colder winter months with artificial heating and the result is a low humidity ambient where the likelihood of ESD is higher.

If a device is correctly engineered, then it will withstand a common low-current ESD. However, this is not the case with the CAx8 due to a design or production error.

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: arc7urus] #2825668
03/11/19 10:54 PM
03/11/19 10:54 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello arc7urus,

May I ask if performing key levelling is something that can be requested from Kawai since the DP is still under warranty? A few white keys on the top two octaves sit slightly "higher" than the neighbouring keys. It is a minor difference but I wonder if this can be corrected while the DP is open to repair the touchscreen. Thanks!

Yes, I believe it should be possible to adjust the height of individual keys. This is perhaps something to discuss with Kawai Europe when contacting them.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2828344
03/18/19 03:23 PM
03/18/19 03:23 PM
N
Nordomus Online content
500 Post Club Member
Nordomus  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

Originally Posted by paf
Dear friends of the CA78/CA98, dear Kawai,

I have been owning a CA98 for a few weeks now. I have loved the keyboard since the first day and after some tweaking, I appreciate very much the sound. What I appreciate less is the GUI (see another thread) and some bugs, so I have put together the following list of things which in my opinion should be done to improve it and – at last – unleash the potential of the best user interface on the market for such an epiano.

URGENT, MUST CHANGE
Fix the terrible bugs which are well-known (noise on Bluetooth, scrappy favorites, buggy USB playback, crash with headphones plug…)

IMPORTANT IMPROVEMENTS
  • Make the (sound) settings non-volatile. Nobody moves his/her piano everyday (Wall EQ). Most of us always use the same headphones (Headphones Type) and either always or never want the screen to blank automatically (Auto Display Off) . I see at least 3 solutions:
    - Make ALL settings non-volatile. At power on, the piano is in the same state as before power off. This is probably what most people expect. OR
    - Make more settings non-volatile, at least the ones above and some more. OR
    - Upgrade "Startup with favorite" with an option that it loads the first favorite, but does not show the favorites screen at startup (i.e. "invisible" restoration of the settings)
  • Implement upper case as well as "-" and " " on the software keyboard (if there is no room, just replace the useless "," and ".").
  • If technically possible, switch off the backlight with "Auto Display Off".

NICE TO HAVE
  • A function to backup and restore the settings on an USB stick. Sound, general and virtual technician.
  • A more elegant display of the favorites (not just grey squares with a grey piano or a note on it). A nice picture, or better a user-defined picture which could be loaded through USB.
  • A way to calibrate the headphones volume. My headphones sound much louder than the loudspeakers and it would be great not to have to adjust the volume every time when changing from loudspeakers to headphones and back.

As a former software engineer, I think that all those bug fixes and improvement could be implemented easily and at low cost. Let's make the CA78/CA98 great again :-)

Patrick

Kawai James- can you tell us what is the status of those problems? I agree with all of them and since I'm getting CA 98 I'd like to know if those things will be improved or not.

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: Nordomus] #2828488
03/19/19 12:00 AM
03/19/19 12:00 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Nordomus,

Originally Posted by Nordomus
Kawai James- can you tell us what is the status of those problems?

Okay, let's see...

Originally Posted by paf
noise on Bluetooth

Fixed.

Originally Posted by paf
scrappy favorites

I recall a user-reported an issue whereby the "Romantic" rendering character in Pianist mode was not stored/recalled correctly from a Favorite, this has been fixed.
Other than that, the Favorites function works as described in the owner's manual.
It's also possible to use the "Startup with Favorites" feature to have system settings (Bluetooth etc.) automatically recalled when the instrument is turned on, although this behaviour is not officially documented in the owner's manual.

Originally Posted by paf
buggy USB playback

Fixed, I believe.

Originally Posted by paf
crash touchscreen reset with headphones plug…)

This hardware-related issue affected early instruments placed in certain environments only, and has been resolved.
Customers experiencing this issue should contact their dealer and/or distributor to request a hardware modification.

Originally Posted by paf
IMPORTANT IMPROVEMENTS
NICE TO HAVE

I believe these points fall into the category of "behaviour I do not like", rather than being "bugs".

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2828513
03/19/19 03:08 AM
03/19/19 03:08 AM
N
Nordomus Online content
500 Post Club Member
Nordomus  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

Good to know although those under "IMPORTANT IMPROVEMENTS" really are important IMO so it would be nice for Kawai to actually do them as well no?

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2828544
03/19/19 06:49 AM
03/19/19 06:49 AM
Valencia, Spain
M
mabraman Offline
500 Post Club Member
mabraman  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Valencia, Spain
When members of a company can't see their obvious faults, and claim once and again that 'it all works as intended'...
Management of registrations is just poor, in new CAs and Novus. It's worse than in previous generation, and you cannot defend it unless the goal was...to be worse!
This, coupled with hardware issues and bad QC, are affecting CA's reputation. They aren't cheap! Don't make them cheap.

The king is nude.

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: Kawai James] #2831079
03/25/19 02:35 AM
03/25/19 02:35 AM
Switzerland
P
paf Offline OP
paf  Offline OP
P

Switzerland
Hello Nordomus,

Originally Posted by paf
noise on Bluetooth

Fixed.

OK, thanks.

Originally Posted by paf
scrappy favorites

Other than that, the Favorites function works as described in the owner's manual.
It's also possible to use the "Startup with Favorites" feature to have system settings (Bluetooth etc.) automatically recalled when the instrument is turned on, although this behaviour is not officially documented in the owner's manual.

Still not fixed at all.
The favorites are as bad as they always were. But as they work as described in the manual, Kawai won't change them.

Originally Posted by paf
buggy USB playback

Fixed, I believe.

Still crashes resets with 2/3 of my USB sticks.
Still not able to FF or RW, but as with the favorites, this is just like described in the manual. So no need for improvement.

Originally Posted by paf
crash touchscreen reset with headphones plug…)

This hardware-related issue affected early instruments placed in certain environments only, and has been resolved.

Kawai has fixed this one.

Originally Posted by paf
IMPORTANT IMPROVEMENTS
NICE TO HAVE

I believe these points fall into the category of "behaviour I do not like", rather than being "bugs".

Yes, exactly.
And every manufacturer of systems with such a potentially great touchscreen as the CAx8/NV10 delivers updates to improve functionality and useability to make users happy, show that they are better than their competitors and sell more products.
But not Kawai.

Kawai CA98, Technics SX-PX 201 with homemade multitrack MIDI recorder based on an Arduino
Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2831087
03/25/19 03:22 AM
03/25/19 03:22 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Offline
Kawai James  Offline

Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello paf,

Regarding this point:

Originally Posted by paf
Originally Posted by paf
buggy USB playback

Fixed, I believe.

Still crashes resets with 2/3 of my USB sticks.

May I ask if you can provide more information, please?
Which USB sticks (brand/model number/capacity) are you using?
What happens when connecting and/or attempting to access the USB stick?

Can you provide a video that illustrates the issue you are encountering, please?
Have you already contacted your dealer and/or Kawai Europe to report this issue?

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2831127
03/25/19 07:43 AM
03/25/19 07:43 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Europe
Originally Posted by paf
...NICE TO HAVE
Yes, exactly.
And every manufacturer of systems with such a potentially great touchscreen as the CAx8/NV10 delivers updates to improve functionality and useability to make users happy, show that they are better than their competitors and sell more products.
But not Kawai.

+1. This is the whole point of the discussion. The touchscreen could be a product differentiator. Kawai decided not to use external applications to control and extend the functionality of the top-tier models (NV10 and CA98/78). So, I would expect Kawai to correct system (sound engine) bugs while continuously improving the GUI. Alternatively, Kawai could follow suit and develop an app to match the competition. But there were zero GUI improvements and there is no apps support, so we are stuck with an excellent DP that features an upgradeable touchscreen-based GUI running a poorly designed user interface.

The following is from a Kawai official video and is just one of the many GUI design issues. This issue is not even about functionality (as it happens with the favourites management or media player, for example) but improper handling of touch events. Pay attention to what happens to the "Fall-Back Noise" value when the user swipes down. Then wait a couple of seconds and observe what happens to the same value while swiping up. This issue is prone to erroneously change any setting while navigating the GUI - and there is no way to revert changes to the settings without a factory reset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btgx7XIXJW8&t=72

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: paf] #2831189
03/25/19 10:58 AM
03/25/19 10:58 AM
N
Nordomus Online content
500 Post Club Member
Nordomus  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
N

Yeah well if Kawai won't improve this software then I just won't buy Kawai piano next time, as easy as that. Let's hope they will though smile IMHO Roland has the best software/GUI at this moment. In that terms basicaly everything I'd hope for is there.

Re: CA78/98 bug fixes and improvements [Re: arc7urus] #2831212
03/25/19 12:33 PM
03/25/19 12:33 PM
New York, NY, USA
AnthonyPaulO Offline
AnthonyPaulO  Offline

New York, NY, USA
The following is from a Kawai official video and is just one of the many GUI design issues. This issue is not even about functionality (as it happens with the favourites management or media player, for example) but improper handling of touch events. Pay attention to what happens to the "Fall-Back Noise" value when the user swipes down. Then wait a couple of seconds and observe what happens to the same value while swiping up. This issue is prone to erroneously change any setting while navigating the GUI - and there is no way to revert changes to the settings without a factory reset. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btgx7XIXJW8&t=72

Ahhhh... I see what you're saying. When the user swipes the GUI in order to navigate up/down then it might accidentally interpret those touches as input to change a value. For example, the user might put their finger down on the screen to start the swiping motion and it happens to land on a slider and before the touch is interpreted as a 'swipe' it's also interpreted as an input to change the value of the slider from, say, 6, to 4. I am a software engineer so to me this is something that should have been picked up by the developer and/or QA and is definitely not something I would want to experience since swiping the GUI to navidate will almost always result in my settings changing randomly every time. Fortunately this is, from my perspective, an easy fix that can be done vie a firmware update; however, I am getting the impression from these forum posts that Kawaii has not been responsive when it comes to updates.

@Kawai James: As a Kawai MP6 owner looking to upgrade to a newer unit possibly containing these touchscreens (CA78, NV10, etc...) the posts regarding Kawai's lack of response to problems that have been an issue since the model's release is making me think twice; however, I do not want to rely on misinformation and I believe you are a person of repute on these forums so I'd appreciate your feedback on this. Can we expect a fix for this and other bugs from Kawai in the near future or is this not on the roadmap? The NV10 in particular seems to have several issues with its own dedicated thread and I'm wondering if these are new-model bugs that Kawai will address at some point. Thanks in advance for your input.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CLP-695gp or N1X hybrid piano?
by James Padgett. 07/20/19 11:33 PM
Dealing with Frustration
by RmntcPianoLvr. 07/20/19 09:39 PM
Beethoven Sonata Op. 101 - trills
by Orange Soda King. 07/20/19 06:04 PM
What software can show this?
by EDV. 07/20/19 04:40 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,099
Posts2,850,267
Members93,934
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission