2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2823833 03/07/19 03:49 PM
P
Pover Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I know this kind of thread is extremely frowned upon and people hate it, and I really didn't want to post this but I figured I might as well get some advice. I'm just looking for a more manageable piece to learn alongside some more demanding repertoire (mostly Chopin etudes), and I figured I'd like something that I won't get too caught up in or won't require too much effort as far as learning the notes goes.

I've been listening to a lot of Debussy, especially the preludes, and I printed the sheet music for both books but I don't know if I just can't love them as much as I try to. I like certain moments in a lot of them but maybe not enough to justify learning/going through the parts I don't particularly like yet. I don't really know what I'm looking for I guess. Maybe some suggestions here or inspiration could change my mind?

I've done a lot of Chopin nocturnes and waltzes/mazurkas etc, so I feel like I wanna do something different. Done a few Mendelssohn SWW too, and I'm not in the mood for something classical like Mozart. I know there's a lot of great music and I spend a lot of time on Youtube listening but I guess I'm looking for suggestions. I was thinking of doing a Rach prelude and I want to get into Liszt but I don't know how smart doing that would be alongside the Chopin etudes with not a lot of extra time on my hands. Soooo, any suggestions? Sorry for the cliche thread, but I'm looking for help!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Have you thought about trying any of the shorter Brahms pieces? Opus 76, 117, 118, 119? They are beautiful, musically rich and most are just a few pages long.

Best regards,

Deborah
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Pover

I've been listening to a lot of Debussy, especially the preludes, and I printed the sheet music for both books but I don't know if I just can't love them as much as I try to. I like certain moments in a lot of them but maybe not enough to justify learning/going through the parts I don't particularly like yet. I don't really know what I'm looking for I guess. Maybe some suggestions here or inspiration could change my mind?

What Debussy have you learnt so far?

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
Pover Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by gooddog
Have you thought about trying any of the shorter Brahms pieces? Opus 76, 117, 118, 119? They are beautiful, musically rich and most are just a few pages long.

I do love the op.117/2, and I like how introspective it is. I don't know if I can hold it together, though, so to speak. I worry it would sound like a bunch of nice sections but I might fail to have it make sense from start to finish.

Originally Posted by bennevis

Over the years I played mostly the earlier works - they seem more romantic than anything to me. The first arabesque, 3/4 Suite Bergamesque, some other pieces too but I forgot which ones. I'm embarrassed to say that I got too frustrated with Dr Gradus ad Pernassum in the sections where the figurations are shared between the hands (and where the LH plays one note and the RH 3 notes) and I dropped the piece. Which is stupid because I need to learn how to do this for other pieces I like by Debussy and Ravel, like jardins sur la pluis etc.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Go on, you know you want to..... Gershwins three preludes.... Notation is fairly simple, timing trickier and accuracy more challenging in an interesting way, unusual "modern" chords. I hope you have big hands.

H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H

+1 thumb

R
R
How about the Philip Glass etudes? Lots of repetition so you aren't challenged by learning vast stretches of 'different' notes, definitely far easier than the Chopin etudes, and each mostly just has a small handful of technical demands that are repeated over and over so that once you can execute them the entire piece is accessible. The repetitions can be a bit polarizing, I suppose, but I find them to be deep pieces worthy of study and performance.

I think a lot of the Scriabin Preludes are very accessible, and very far from the classical period style, yet extremely rewarding, and of course as you explore his work you can find almost any level of difficulty you desire.

I've been listening to Kabalevsky lately; lots to mine there, though I am unsure on difficulty.

How about Alberto Ginastera? As you peruse his output his early stuff is very influenced by Argentinean folk music, and later stuff branches out far from that. His Danzas Argentinas are a perfect example of the former, His Suite de Danzas Criollas is beautiful and not difficult piece. His Preludios Americanos offers more technical challenge if that is what you want.

Or Villa Lobos? He doesn't need an introduction. I'm just gaga about the Latin American composers that have integrated Latin American folk music with European compositional techniques.

Or yes, as slipperykeys suggested, Gershwin. Oh my. Get yourself some Ives while you are at it. Can't go wrong with these guys.

How about some Miriam Hyde?

The standard repertoire is standard for many reasons, but there is so much more out there that is at least as good!

Last edited by RogerRL; 03/07/19 05:25 PM.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
B
B

Over the years I played mostly the earlier works - they seem more romantic than anything to me. The first arabesque, 3/4 Suite Bergamesque, some other pieces too but I forgot which ones. I'm embarrassed to say that I got too frustrated with Dr Gradus ad Pernassum in the sections where the figurations are shared between the hands (and where the LH plays one note and the RH 3 notes) and I dropped the piece. Which is stupid because I need to learn how to do this for other pieces I like by Debussy and Ravel, like jardins sur la pluis etc.

If you don't want something romantic, how about Golliwog's Cakewalk (Children's Corner)? - plenty of variety in one short piece, and fun to play. Also, there's La sérénade interrompue and Minstrels (Préludes Bk.1).

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Albeniz? Some lovely atmospheric stuff and much of it isn’t very difficult.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Schumann anyone?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Have you considered studying any of the Rachmaninow Preludes? Some are amazing like opus 23 Nos. 4, 5, 6, 7, and opus 32 nos 5 & 12.

Steve

Bösendorfer 170
W
W
Surely if you have the skill set to perform Chopin etudes (and I envy you!), you should be able to pretty much read your way through most of the suggestions already submitted.

Why not explore Janacek? Not the sonata (beautiful though it is, it is extremely awkward to play) but On An Overgrown Path and In The Mists. Music of great atmosphere and profundity produced by minimal means. Also, try something like the Bulgarian rhythm dances from Bartók's Mikrokosmos or the evergreen Romanian Dances...

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I think this is different from the threads I’ve raised an eyebrow at before, where people ask “could I play this?” and my answer is “try it and find out!”. There’s such a massive repertoire out there I think it’s good to ask for suggestions, otherwise you can just feel swamped by possibilities!

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
P
Pover Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will check them out and hopefully pick a piece to learn. I'm leaning a bit towards one of the Brahms currently. I'd really love to do Rach prelude op.32/5 but I can't handle the 5 against 3 frown

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Schumann anyone?

Fantasiestücke op.12 is a wonderful place to start IMHO.

S
S
Fantasiestucke is on my list- just bought the music recently!

Someone above recommended the Glass etudes. I second these, but perhaps listen to a few on YouTube before you commit to buying the music. They are indeed repetitive. I am really enjoying Yann Tiersen's EUSA, a collection of pieces he has written for individual places on the French island from where he comes. These also can have repetitive notes in them similar to Glass's etudes in a way. Tiersen's music has been compared to Satie. It's a nice contrast to my regular work on Bach, Mozart, etc.

S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
You could try Granados, Valses Poeticos. Nice pieces with some variety.

Blüthner model 6
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M

I do love the op.117/2, and I like how introspective it is. I don't know if I can hold it together, though, so to speak. I worry it would sound like a bunch of nice sections but I might fail to have it make sense from start to finish.

I played Brahms intermezzo op 117 no 2 and entered it here in the recital last month so you can listen to it in beginner forum if you like. I worked on it a bit more since then as I'm hoping to play it for the small piano group I'm in. I finished it last week so its very fresh still. What exactly is your anxiety about it ? Excellent one to learn !

For Debussy I just brought a book by him, my teacher recommended Bruyeres but I've injured my hand this recently so probably cant risk playing it atm. I would suggest you check any suggestions with your teacher as suggestions are a bit random online.

Last edited by Moo :); 03/08/19 07:00 PM.
and I want to get into Liszt

If you have the skills to power through Chopin's etudes, I'd highly recommend perhaps looking through some Liszt opera fantasies? They were highly popular in his day but now (with the exception of a few, Norma, Don Juan maybe Robert le Diable although even that one isn't played enough grin) they are seldom performed. Here's just 2 suggestions:

His fantasy on Bellini's I puritani:

His fantasy on Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
When I was looking at playing Brahms I was suggested by posters (Ben/Bruce) about opus 117 and opus 118. I got both books to my lesson. My teacher however we went through them and his suggestions for me were Opus 117/2 from 117 and 118/6 from 118. Other suggestions were lesser. I really picked the piece 117/2 in the lesson but he played them all so I could decide if I liked it and it was decided in 5 minutes. I dont think it would have what I picked but I'm I'm hopelesly indecisive when it comes to piece. I found buying books and taking to the lesson is the best way to do it when coming to a new piece. But yes making threads like this is very naughty, I'm always told off about it in beginner forum, but you are a brave man to try here. :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission