Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
79 registered members (Brahms4, AZNpiano, akc42, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bett, Abdol, Burkie, 25 invisible), 1,009 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 65 1 2 3 4 5 64 65
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2825253
03/11/19 07:44 AM
03/11/19 07:44 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
3000 Post Club Member
CyberGene  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
There are usually ground loop problems with line-in input.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2825341
03/11/19 10:58 AM
03/11/19 10:58 AM
The Sierras
D
David B Online content OP
500 Post Club Member
David B  Online Content OP
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by dohnjoy
Did anyone already mention that your rug is very nice? It really ties the room together.

I could just rattle on about that rug myself, including how it's positioned and the colors which transition toward warmth in the center but then are almost inexplicably extinguished by the black neutral center. Oops. That was already a few more words than this thread should get! laugh

Thank you. I'll let my wife know. She helped me pick it out on Amazon.

God bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Mac mini 2018/Focusrite Scarlett 2i4/KRK Rokit 6 G3 Studio Monitors
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course; Lessons 1-38 Completed
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2825374
03/11/19 12:00 PM
03/11/19 12:00 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Kitsap County, WA
Sort of a non sequitur, but I just noticed that in the first picture of the boxes in the store, someone is hiding behind the right side box smile

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Chrispy] #2825392
03/11/19 12:33 PM
03/11/19 12:33 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by squidbot
Sort of a non sequitur, but I just noticed that in the first picture of the boxes in the store, someone is hiding behind the right side box smile

Must be the sales guy. My wife waited at home.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2825395
03/11/19 12:39 PM
03/11/19 12:39 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Is it possible to open the packaging in a way that won't destroy it? And then pack the piano back the way it was if that's needed? I see a lot of torn cardboard in your pictures but I would assume you just didn't care smile

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825407
03/11/19 01:03 PM
03/11/19 01:03 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Is it possible to open the packaging in a way that won't destroy it? And then pack the piano back the way it was if that's needed? I see a lot of torn cardboard in your pictures but I would assume you just didn't care smile

For sure. I just tore into it.

The main unit box lifts straight up after you cut the straps. It's like opening a Christmas present. smile

You can repackage the entire unit if you wanted. However, it's too late for me. My kids have made houses out of the boxes and cut holes for windows, etc.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825852
03/12/19 11:27 AM
03/12/19 11:27 AM
Europe
A
arc7urus Offline
1000 Post Club Member
arc7urus  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Europe

Are you already thinking on how to return the N1X that you haven't yet received? wink

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: arc7urus] #2825855
03/12/19 11:34 AM
03/12/19 11:34 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by arc7urus

Are you already thinking on how to return the N1X that you haven't yet received? wink

I was afraid someone's gonna ask this laugh No, I don't intend on returning the N1X unless it's terribly faulty smile Even if that's the case, I prefer not having to improvise with my own packaging of an item like that and instead use the original packaging.

BTW, until yesterday my order in Thomann was labeled as something like "the item is not currently in stock and will be sent when it's in stock", while N1X was marked as "available in 2-3 weeks". Well, today the order is marked as "open" which judging by my previous order of NU1X means the item is available and is about to be sent. Not holding my breath yet but I secretly hope a miracle happened and I may have the piano sooner than expected...

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/12/19 11:35 AM.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825858
03/12/19 11:37 AM
03/12/19 11:37 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

BTW, until yesterday my order in Thomann was labeled as something like "the item is not currently in stock and will be sent when it's in stock", while N1X was marked as "available in 2-3 weeks". Well, today the order is marked as "open" which judging by my previous order of NU1X means the item is available and is about to be sent. Not holding my breath yet but I secretly hope a miracle happened and I may have the piano sooner than expected...

thumb thumb
This means you gotta work even faster on finishing your DIY controller! grin

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2825862
03/12/19 11:45 AM
03/12/19 11:45 AM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
This means you gotta work even faster on finishing your DIY controller! grin

Let's not hijack this thread with offtopic about my DIY controller and I'm already guilty of doing that on countless other threads laugh But yes, it means that indeed. But I'm determined to finish it though, regardless of the N1X arrival. I am pretty positive right now about the outcome, and (probably foolishly and naively) hoping that it would turn out to be a successful and accessible (read cheap) way for many other people to have a real grand piano action. Let's see.

Now, back to N1X, who was the other guy who expected a N1X soon? Was it squidbot? How are things going?

And you, Tyrone, I'm following you closely wink You're already spending too much time researching what piano to buy and I think you've overachieved. Time to order a N1X instead of worrying about ground loop, innit? laugh

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/12/19 11:46 AM.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825863
03/12/19 11:51 AM
03/12/19 11:51 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

And you, Tyrone, I'm following you closely wink You're already spending too much time researching what piano to buy and I think you've overachieved. Time to order a N1X instead of worrying about ground loop, innit? laugh

I'm actually waiting to try one on the piano shop! smile But it seems that people who are ordering sight-unseen such as yourself are getting them before the stores around here.

I did check on Youtube this morning to see if there are any new review videos and amazingly, the last reviews are still from NAMM in January - none of the independent reviewers (non-store reviewers like PianoManChuck) have done a review yet. I don't know if that is unusual or not.

I had started with a longer list of possibilities, but I've whittled it down to just N1X and NV10 now. It's a shootout. smile

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2825868
03/12/19 11:58 AM
03/12/19 11:58 AM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

I had started with a longer list of possibilities, but I've whittled it down to just N1X and NV10 now. It's a shootout. smile

Wait much longer and A New Challenger Has Entered the Ring! Then you'll have to weigh the NV-20 against the N2X wink

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: David B] #2825869
03/12/19 12:01 PM
03/12/19 12:01 PM
Sofia, Bulgaria
CyberGene Online content
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Sofia, Bulgaria
Yet another off-topic, deserving its own thread. It was very curious to see how many people bought NV10-s, considering it's among the most expensive digital pianos. MacMacMac is our statistics guy who can do a comparison with other digital piano models but I wouldn't be surprised if NV10 would rank among the top 5 most owned digital pianos in the forum. Supposing I'm not wrong about that, it makes me think how come one of the most expensive digital pianos on the market is so popular? I mean, it's great, no doubt, but how come people are ready to spend so much money on digital pianos? There's some contradiction here. I'm wondering if part of the explanation is peoples' "prejudice" that only if it's expensive it's worth it smile

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2825870
03/12/19 12:16 PM
03/12/19 12:16 PM
The Sierras
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

The Sierras
Not holding my breath yet but I secretly hope a miracle happened and I may have the piano sooner than expected...

I was pleasantly surprised when my came in a couple weeks earlier than anticipated. Let's hope the same thing happens for you. We'll hold our breath together. smile

I'm actually waiting to try one on the piano shop! smile But it seems that people who are ordering sight-unseen such as yourself are getting them before the stores around here.

My dealer told me that actual sales take preeminence over all deliveries. It's like the Obama health care bill (you'll have purchase it before you know what's in it.) smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825872
03/12/19 12:22 PM
03/12/19 12:22 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
G

Yet another off-topic, deserving its own thread. It was very curious to see how many people bought NV10-s, considering it's among the most expensive digital pianos. MacMacMac is our statistics guy who can do a comparison with other digital piano models but I wouldn't be surprised if NV10 would rank among the top 5 most owned digital pianos in the forum.

Ping JoBert, he's keeping track. I think it was over 40 last time we checked in?

As to why it's popular, maybe partly due to the fact that the AGs were released around the time of the global financial crisis a decade ago, so there wasn't much of an initial seed of a community to form. Whereas the NV10 was released while the world economy is currently doing much better and folks have much more discretionary income? Just a guess.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825875
03/12/19 12:26 PM
03/12/19 12:26 PM
O
oneilt130 Online content
oneilt130  Online Content
O

Yet another off-topic, deserving its own thread. It was very curious to see how many people bought NV10-s, considering it's among the most expensive digital pianos. MacMacMac is our statistics guy who can do a comparison with other digital piano models but I wouldn't be surprised if NV10 would rank among the top 5 most owned digital pianos in the forum. Supposing I'm not wrong about that, it makes me think how come one of the most expensive digital pianos on the market is so popular? I mean, it's great, no doubt, but how come people are ready to spend so much money on digital pianos? There's some contradiction here. I'm wondering if part of the explanation is peoples' "prejudice" that only if it's expensive it's worth it smile

Just offering my own 2 cents but I think it depends upon what you are looking for. In may case I would have been fine with an acoustic piano except that I absolutely needed the headphones option. To accomplish that I had to either go with a upright with a silent system or a hybrid. I didn't want to spend 10K so I went with the NU1X (and am still loving it.) Had the N1X been out I may have considered that. If you are seeking out the experience most like an acoustic grand and wanted a more recent model prior to the N1X being released the only options that I am aware of were the NV10 and N3X. I excluded the NU1X because of the upright action.

Yamaha NU1X
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825876
03/12/19 12:27 PM
03/12/19 12:27 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm puzzled by this ...
I wonder, as you do, how such an expensive digital could be the most-owned. I really doubt that it is. I'll have to look at the prices paid later today ... but my gut says that the NV10 is nowhere close to most owned.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: MacMacMac] #2825881
03/12/19 12:50 PM
03/12/19 12:50 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
Tyrone Slothrop  Offline

It was very curious to see how many people bought NV10-s, considering it's among the most expensive digital pianos.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I wonder, as you do, how such an expensive digital could be the most-owned. I really doubt that it is. I'll have to look at the prices paid later today ... but my gut says that the NV10 is nowhere close to most owned.

Forum members maybe a self-selecting population. People who are interested not only in playing their instruments but who want to carefully research them and discuss them. Such people may be more likely to spend a larger portion of their discretionary income on an instrument than others.

Consider that from an abstract perspective, many people could afford even an NV10 than actually buy them. But there are always trade offs and so instead of spending $10K on a piano, they pay for other things out of their discretionary funds (vacations, new curtains, home renovation, a new car, etc). By virtue of being active on this forum, it doesn't mean you have more discretionary funds, but it may mean that many have a greater willingness to direct their discretionary funds toward the purchase of an expensive instrument (e.g., rather have a piano than that Winnebago, rather have a piano than visit the Grand Canyon for the 3rd time, etc.) Look at what the OP has done to own a piano - traded in his gun collection! This I think is more common than not for forum participants and this is what I mean by a "self selecting population" here.

Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: CyberGene] #2825883
03/12/19 12:55 PM
03/12/19 12:55 PM
Denmark
Q
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline
Q

Denmark
how come one of the most expensive digital pianos on the market is so popular? I mean, it's great, no doubt, but how come people are ready to spend so much money on digital pianos?

I don't know that there is any clue in this, but when I got onto PW, somewhat before the NV-10 was released, the Digital Pianos forum seemed to me like a Kawai lovefest. Positive feelings for Kawai were oozing from every other thread. And then the NV-10 was announced, and it was the first Kawai contender in the Hybrid class. I think there was so much goodwill towards this product, that it made people willing to pay much more, than they would have paid for a similar product from any other brand.

But I may be entirely wrong about this.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
Re: Yamaha AvantGrand N1X - Hands On [Re: MacMacMac] #2825886
03/12/19 01:03 PM
03/12/19 01:03 PM
Germany
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JoBert  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Germany
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Ping JoBert, he's keeping track. I think it was over 40 last time we checked in?

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I really doubt that it is. I'll have to look at the prices paid later today ... but my gut says that the NV10 is nowhere close to most owned.

Sorry for the off topic: The current count of NV10 owners that posted in the NV10 sister thread (since Feb. 2018, i.e. over the last 13 1/2 months) is 43. Of those, to my knowledge 2 no longer own the NV10 (one sold it for a NU1X, one returned it, replacement unknown to me).

Page 3 of 65 1 2 3 4 5 64 65

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
TOO FUNNY: has this been staged?😆
by Norbert. 06/26/19 01:39 AM
Kawai CN37 now or wait for the CN39?
by xelfer. 06/26/19 12:21 AM
Recording piano pieces
by Henri2106. 06/25/19 11:41 PM
Another thread on which piano to buy.
by kindledimagines. 06/25/19 11:40 PM
What happened to my avatar?
by gooddog. 06/25/19 09:16 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,714
Posts2,842,039
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission