2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 232 of 237 1 2 230 231 232 233 234 236 237
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ikkiyikki
ps. For my preference the music rest is about three inches too high. Is this height standard to all Yamahas?

Nice setup! Good job.

On these hybrids, the music rest is a few inches higher than on a typical grand (which recesses it below the lid) and more importantly, you can adjust how close you can slide it.

So depending on your torso length, it might be just a tad high, or quite high indeed.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
T
T
I've had a call from the Yamaha technician this morning who will be coming out to recalibrate the piano in a fortnight.

Hopefully this will sort the blank key issue!

I
I
Originally Posted by tim1987
I've had a call from the Yamaha technician this morning who will be coming out to recalibrate the piano in a fortnight.

A fortnight? LOL, who speaks like this? :- )
Wishing you the best of luck on getting the piano to your liking. If you can I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see pics of the internals

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by ikkiyikki
A fortnight? LOL, who speaks like this? :- )

🙂 For instance the British do! It's common speach meaning fourteen days.

Originally Posted by tim1987

I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers and happy anticipation,

HZ

T
T
Yes we British say fortnight, as in fourteen nights 😂

I'll be getting pictures once he gets into it. He said he will be recalibrating each key, he said sometimes these issues can happen during transit.

P
P
Hey guys! I thought I'd come and share my experience so far with the N1X, as well as ask for advice on a few things.

To start out, I definitely love this instrument. I didn't expect this to be the case for a digital or hybrid, but I'm very happy to have been wrong. I previously had the NU1X, which was certainly viable, but I found myself not playing it that much. Once I got the N1X, my drive to play skyrocketed. Something about the feel of a grand is just that much better. The sound is amazing with the binaural CFX and some Sennheiser headphones. I much prefer the music stand placement over how it was with the NU1X as well. All in all, it's nearly perfect for a practice hybrid.

Now, for my criticisms. First, I do NOT like the built in speakers. It sounds a lot more digital, and more muddled somehow. I'd give more detail about it, but I'd have to play with them more, and I'll pass on that. I have read that having it a foot or two away from the wall helps, but it's not an option with my set up (I have it at 2.5" or so off the wall) and even if it helps it sounding muddled, I doubt it would sound less digital. Second, I feel like I get ghost notes a bit more frequently than I used to on acoustics. I think part of it may be that I'm a bit rusty, but it still feels a little too easy for it to happen sometimes.

As for my questions:
-What would be a good solution for playing out loud and sounding good? I'm guessing something like studio monitors and an external audio interface would help? And would the binaural CFX sampling sound weird like that? I've heard of external sampling that can be used - I think the one I've seen most praise for is Garritan CFX. Would you guys recommend that? While most of the time I will be playing for myself, I would like the option to have people over and play for them without it sounding bad (unless it just sounds bad because of my playing lol).
-Similar question to the above, but optimizing to make YouTube videos. From looking around online, I think I need to connect the piano to an audio interface, connect that to a laptop with recording software. Then I can record video separately with my phone, take both recordings, combine and sync video and audio, then I'm done? Any other hardware/software I would need? Other advice?

Thanks in advance and hope you all are enjoying your N1Xs!

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by PianoWarriorAndres
Hey guys! I thought I'd come and share my experience so far with the N1X, as well as ask for advice on a few things.

To start out, I definitely love this instrument. I didn't expect this to be the case for a digital or hybrid, but I'm very happy to have been wrong. I previously had the NU1X, which was certainly viable, but I found myself not playing it that much. Once I got the N1X, my drive to play skyrocketed. Something about the feel of a grand is just that much better. The sound is amazing with the binaural CFX and some Sennheiser headphones. I much prefer the music stand placement over how it was with the NU1X as well. All in all, it's nearly perfect for a practice hybrid.

Now, for my criticisms. First, I do NOT like the built in speakers. It sounds a lot more digital, and more muddled somehow. I'd give more detail about it, but I'd have to play with them more, and I'll pass on that. I have read that having it a foot or two away from the wall helps, but it's not an option with my set up (I have it at 2.5" or so off the wall) and even if it helps it sounding muddled, I doubt it would sound less digital. Second, I feel like I get ghost notes a bit more frequently than I used to on acoustics. I think part of it may be that I'm a bit rusty, but it still feels a little too easy for it to happen sometimes.

As for my questions:
-What would be a good solution for playing out loud and sounding good? I'm guessing something like studio monitors and an external audio interface would help? And would the binaural CFX sampling sound weird like that? I've heard of external sampling that can be used - I think the one I've seen most praise for is Garritan CFX. Would you guys recommend that? While most of the time I will be playing for myself, I would like the option to have people over and play for them without it sounding bad (unless it just sounds bad because of my playing lol).
-Similar question to the above, but optimizing to make YouTube videos. From looking around online, I think I need to connect the piano to an audio interface, connect that to a laptop with recording software. Then I can record video separately with my phone, take both recordings, combine and sync video and audio, then I'm done? Any other hardware/software I would need? Other advice?

Thanks in advance and hope you all are enjoying your N1Xs!

The N1X has a built in audio interface, to record anything from piano to a laptop/PC you only need a usb cable/printer cable. You don't need any extra equipment like extra leads and separate audio interface, you just need a lead and install the yamaha driver from their website.

Garritan CFX is excellent, but it doesn't replace the onboard samples in the N1X, they 'play' wonderfully and much 'better' than a VST like garritan. I only wish the recorded audio sounded professional like garritan, unfortunately the audio/fidelity is pretty poor when you record the samples built into the N1X.

I think the speakers, although somewhat muffled i agree, are pretty good, and make the piano samples sound more authentic.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
Garritan CFX is excellent, but it doesn't replace the onboard samples in the N1X, they 'play' wonderfully and much 'better' than a VST like garritan. I only wish the recorded audio sounded professional like garritan, unfortunately the audio/fidelity is pretty poor when you record the samples built into the N1X.
This is pretty much my own experience. Alas, there’s no perfect world…

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
G
The piano is finally here! I paid for a local helper to handle the moving.
I feel like the photos on the internet has not done justice to the beauty of this instrument. It is simply stunning.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And I think I will love the action even more (it is a tad heavier than the Yamaha C3 that I play on and love at my teacher’s studio). It is a huge improvement from my previous P-125.

And I was lucky to find a good new home for my P-125. It was a hard departure. I loved the instrument so much, but I know it will be happy serving new students (like it has helped me 🙂)!

Last edited by gentlespirit123; 08/26/21 05:44 PM.

New adult piano learner. Yamaha P-125, Yahama N1X. Working on Schmitt, Czerny, and Burgmuller.
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@gentlespirit123, Congratulations! It looks lovely. I'd be quite interested to feel that action one day; hope to make time for a trip to a good dealership not too far in the future, to meet this and several other instruments 'in the flesh'.

I'm glad that there are still people who are emotional about letting go a 'previous' instrument (or anything, for that matter) instead of mindlessly discarding it. I'm very much that way: as soon as I learn something from an object, make something with it (tools, for instance), or helps me along in any way, I get rather attached to it.

Lovely, thus, that your 125 started a decent next life 🙂.

Cheers and the happiest playing,

HZ

M
M
Originally Posted by drewr
Originally Posted by mmatthew
Originally Posted by MaxLi
Amazing piano and video!

I tried to record my playing onto a USB drive and the volume turned out to be really low. Unless I increase the volume on my laptop to the max I can barely hear anything. Have you had this issue before if you record directly onto the USB? I chose Audio format instead of MIDI since I don't have MIDI editor or controller.

I also tried to connect my Yamaha NU1X directly to my Samsung S21 via USB Type B to USB type C so I can have video and audio in one go but the phone keeps rebooting.

Thanks.

How loud do you want it to be? A USB recording (.WAV) played at half volume on my Mac, using QuickTime player seems to be just right (at least for me.)

You might want to check out some earlier posts on this thread starting here: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...avantgrand-n1x-hands-on.html#Post2853489 and hopefully you will find some solution to your liking...

MaxLi, also see the following reference to an older section of this thread wherein a YAG owner reported their success recording the playing of their YAG’s A&V directly to their smartphone.

Regards, drew

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...io-interface-record-to-iphone-video.html

Thanks Drew! I have actually tried connecting my Nu1x directly to my Samsung via the USB cable (type B to type c) so Nu1x internal digital sound can be recorded into my phone while the phone camera (under pro video mode) records video. In the Samsung S21 pro video mode I can see the microphone is showing a USB connection. The only problem is that it keeps rebooting as soon as I start playing. If I could record a very short video clip, there is a regular static noise on the recording. I will try to do a clip and upload.

Yamaha NU1X
G
G
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@gentlespirit123, Congratulations! It looks lovely. I'd be quite interested to feel that action one day; hope to make time for a trip to a good dealership not too far in the future, to meet this and several other instruments 'in the flesh'.

I'm glad that there are still people who are emotional about letting go a 'previous' instrument (or anything, for that matter) instead of mindlessly discarding it. I'm very much that way: as soon as I learn something from an object, make something with it (tools, for instance), or helps me along in any way, I get rather attached to it.

Lovely, thus, that your 125 started a decent next life 🙂.

Cheers and the happiest playing,

HZ

Thank you so much. It took me a long time to decide to forgo the P-125 to make space for the N1X. It was a tough decision because the instrument holds so many memories - since the day I started piano lessons in 2018. I posted an ad on Craigslist, then took it down, then reposted it - repeating that until I found a retired gentleman who was looking for an instrument for his niece and grandniece. I gave the piano to him at a meager price, and we were happy. I did think of surprising him by giving it out for free, but as an economics major, I thought the amount would bring in some incentive to care for the instrument laugh.

On the day of the departure, I sat in the lobby waiting for the buyer, staring into the memories with much joy and sentiment. But I realized that I wouldn't be playing the piano, so it would be happier to be at somebody else's delights and service. I think that is what an instrument is for, to inspire new joy and love to whoever it has the chance to meet. I guess this may not apply to the old pianos that may desire to rest happily after decades of service).

Regarding the N1X, I love the action, and the sound in the headphones is fantastic. The speakers are muffed when I play, but it sounds impressive when I step aside into a listener position. I think this is due to the audio system's design, and maybe the acoustic of my bedroom.

One thing I find funny is that the N1X seems taller and more extensive than a grand piano in the front. Maybe this is due to the extended height from the keyboard to this music rest?

New adult piano learner. Yamaha P-125, Yahama N1X. Working on Schmitt, Czerny, and Burgmuller.
Q
Q
Originally Posted by HZPiano

HZ

Me too. It was quite a wrench selling my NP2 recently, which I’d had for 9 years, made lots of progress on and used to write a large chunk of my own music. I’m really enjoying the MP11SE I replaced it with though and it’s already inspired some new music.

Similarly with my first couple of flutes, which took me from beginner to intermediate to advanced. Lots of happy hours associated with those horns.

Also with some basses I’ve had - there’s one in particularly that I would dearly love to have back as I had to sell it when I needed money for a house move.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by drewr
Amazing piano and video!

I tried to record my playing onto a USB drive and the volume turned out to be really low. Unless I increase the volume on my laptop to the max I can barely hear anything. Have you had this issue before if you record directly onto the USB? I chose Audio format instead of MIDI since I don't have MIDI editor or controller.

I also tried to connect my Yamaha NU1X directly to my Samsung S21 via USB Type B to USB type C so I can have video and audio in one go but the phone keeps rebooting.

Thanks.

How loud do you want it to be? A USB recording (.WAV) played at half volume on my Mac, using QuickTime player seems to be just right (at least for me.)

You might want to check out some earlier posts on this thread starting here: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...avantgrand-n1x-hands-on.html#Post2853489 and hopefully you will find some solution to your liking...

MaxLi, also see the following reference to an older section of this thread wherein a YAG owner reported their success recording the playing of their YAG’s A&V directly to their smartphone.

Regards, drew

https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...io-interface-record-to-iphone-video.html

Thanks Drew! I have actually tried connecting my Nu1x directly to my Samsung via the USB cable (type B to type c) so Nu1x internal digital sound can be recorded into my phone while the phone camera (under pro video mode) records video. In the Samsung S21 pro video mode I can see the microphone is showing a USB connection. The only problem is that it keeps rebooting as soon as I start playing. If I could record a very short video clip, there is a regular static noise on the recording. I will try to do a clip and upload.

Looks like you are getting close MaxLi.

In the older section of this thread, the dialog from Chrispy introduced the idea of connecting the Yami’s USB to an Iphone, then CyberGene and Boboulus and Chrispy added details that confirm 1) it works well! and 2) the audio and video are in sync thanks to unseen helpful things going on with this usb audio interface.

Ive never used an Android phone ( nor a Yami DP 😐) .... do Androids/Samsung have a reputation like Apple for their smart devices to be well equipped with drivers? Your rebooting Samsung whenever you make keypresses on Yami indicates something with the audio is wrong .... if the audio arrives into the Samsung via USB, should the Samsung’s microphone even be a part of this intended setup .... ?

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
P
P
Originally Posted by mwf
The N1X has a built in audio interface, to record anything from piano to a laptop/PC you only need a usb cable/printer cable. You don't need any extra equipment like extra leads and separate audio interface, you just need a lead and install the yamaha driver from their website.

I meant to reply sooner, but thank you for your response! It's certainly good news that I can just record from the N1X directly. With that said, is there any benefit at all from using an external interface? I ask because I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, and although it'd be nice to not have to use it, I'll certainly consider it if it may give better audio. Also, apologies for the ignorance, but what do you mean when you say a lead?

Originally Posted by mwf

Can you elaborate a little on this? If I'm reading right, you're essentially saying that the N1X samples play better, meaning better dynamic control, etc.? But the sound itself isn't as nice as Garritan? Just trying to gauge if it's a worthwhile investment, but right now it sounds like probably not.

Originally Posted by mwf
I think the speakers, although somewhat muffled i agree, are pretty good, and make the piano samples sound more authentic.

So the sound is unlikely to sound less digital with external speakers/monitors? That would be a shame since I love how it sounds with headphones, but certainly dislike how it sounds via the built in speakers.

A couple more questions to anyone who can answer them:
-Is it recommended to disable binaural audio when recording for videos and such?
-What are you guys' thoughts on reverb? I actually really like the default 5 for practice, but I think a little more when playing for people would be nice. I just haven't gotten around to testing it out enough.

Thanks!

O
O
Hi,

Just tried N1X in a Store. Nice key action/ midi behaviour.

I save money and will buy it in 2022 smile

Regards,

O.

Mac mini M2 pro with 16 Gb - 512 internal SSD - 1+2 Tb external USB SSD for samples - order of preference : 1)VSL SYNCHRON Steinway D-274 audio chained in Pianoteq 8 for SSR resonances and noises scripted in Logic 10 DAW - 3) Ivory 3 with some tweaks 3) Pianoteq 8 Steinway B
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Mine arrived today. First impressions very good.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace

What?! I don't remember any post from you prior Ess stating that you ordered or were in the market?!! But yay, glad to have you in this amazing club.
Waiting to read more of your experiences.

ps: I still don't know why you sold the RD-1000 laugh but hopefully the N1X will make every previous product incomparable!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by EssBrace

What?! I don't remember any post from you prior Ess stating that you ordered or were in the market?!! But yay, glad to have you in this amazing club.
Waiting to read more of your experiences.

ps: I still don't know why you sold the RD-1000 laugh but hopefully the N1X will make every previous product incomparable!

About the RD I ask myself the same question every day!

Thanks, just getting to know it at the moment. I was lucky to get one. It's functioning perfectly, no problems at all. For any UK based readers I got it from e.pianos.co.uk. Very nice people to deal with.

I previously had an N3 some years ago. This N1X has a slightly lighter and somewhat more nimble feeling action than I recall the N3 having. Might be my memory playing tricks of course.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wow, EssBrace welcome to the club 🤩🍻

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 232 of 237 1 2 230 231 232 233 234 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission