2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,882 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hi, I'm 17 and I've been playing piano for 1 and a half years. It's become my favorite thing to do and I can spend up to 5 hours a day at the piano. My dream is owning a grand piano one day so I've decided to start saving money for it so I can get one by the time I'm 25-30.

I am not closed to the idea of a baby grand but I'd rather get something around 6-7". What price range should I aim for to get a piano of a reasonably good quality but that's not over the top either?

It's still really early but I want to see how much money a month I should dedicate to that piano if I want to be able to afford my dream.

Last edited by zerox029; 03/07/19 10:20 PM.

Working on:
-Schubert - Impromptu in F minor Op.142 No.4
-Rachmaninoff - Prelude in C# minor Op.3 No.2
-Beethoven - Piano Sonata in C minor Op.13 "Pathetique"

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Since you have time, start researching brands and models and watching for what they sell for second hand. Prices can vary widely (private and dealer sales, used and new, etc). If you’re willing to buy second hand (and no reason not to), one of the best ways to score a deal is to be watching, and ready to buy. That may not be today or tomorrow, but as you build your savings and knowledge, you’ll be better poised to strike when an opportunity presents itself!

Pianos can be difficult for individual owners to sell second hand, so prices can get pretty low if someone’s anxious to sell.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Since you have time, start researching brands and models and watching for what they sell for second hand. Prices can vary widely (private and dealer sales, used and new, etc). If you’re willing to buy second hand (and no reason not to), one of the best ways to score a deal is to be watching, and ready to buy. That may not be today or tomorrow, but as you build your savings and knowledge, you’ll be better poised to strike when an opportunity presents itself!

Pianos can be difficult for individual owners to sell second hand, so prices can get pretty low if someone’s anxious to sell.

All good sensible advice.

Also - take into account that, in 10-15 years you'll be hopefully earning far more than you are at present - wages generally go up with age and experience.

Also - don't consider it a "one-step" move. Many of us graduated through a succession of pianos as we progressed through life. I went:
- age ~20, old upright, worked OK but a bit sluggish;
- age ~26, new YAMAHA UX - was top of the range UPRIGHT YAMAHA - this piano was a workhorse for my diploma, children learning etc;
- age ~53, new SCHIMMEL 6' grand;
- age ~60, new GROTRIAN Concert 7'4" piano - finally my dream piano.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Grotrotian Concert sounds like a dream to me !

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
I agree carefull planning and awareness. Kawai make wonderful pianos but then so do Yamaha. I had a Kawai grand for 47 years .
I sold it to a dealer who was going to restring it and do a real work over on it and sell it again .
So yes just plan carefully and you will find your piano .

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
zerox029- it is a wonderful goal to buy a fabulous grand piano new or used to play every day for hours. There are a couple things that you’ll need along with the piano. You will need to live in a place big enough to place a 6 - 7 foot grand with thick enough walls to not disturb the neighbors. You’ll also need enough money for regular tunings, voicing, and regulation.
As other posts mentioned the used piano market is always softer than buying new but you do need a piano technicians evaluation before buying.
Just a suggestion here but besides studying playing piano, in your free time, study how pianos work, how they’re tuned and fixed. That way when you’ve saved enough and are in a place where you can finally get the grand of your dreams, you’ll also be very knowledgeable and can shop confidently. I wish you the very best of luck!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Hi zerox029, You might want to consult The Piano Book by Larry Fine, as well as one of the associated Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer issues that come out a couple times a year. There is plenty of pricing information in these books to help provide a knowledge basis for your ultimate purchase. And yes, best of luck in your wonderful journey!

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
K
K
Hi Zerox,

You have a gift to be so motivated at a young age - think of piano pursuit as a long-term endeavor, considering the vastness of the repertoire and the expense of a quality instrument. In the Boston area, if I were aiming for decent a 6-7' grand, new or used, I would consider setting a budget of ~20-25K. But I recently tried some really nice Kawai GL series grands that were <15 asking price which is a good value to me.

"Play Bach constantly. That will be your best means of progress." -F.Chopin
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I sent you a private message. Good luck.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
$25K to $45K for a good to great 6'-7' instrument. Save up!

August Förster 215
A
A
I have to think it can be done for 10-12k. I'm trying to do it for $5.
Wish both of us luck.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission