2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 108 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 107 108
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akc42
Just saw this video. Making me quite motivated to perhaps maybe buy another years subscription. I kept my account as a free one for SASR tests after the first year ran out but I am now thinking perhaps I should use PM for more advanced stuff

Wow. This is great! I do some of these things but obviously didn't have such an expert tool guide, nor am I so advanced as Jordan that I would progress even partially as quickly. But I am amazed, in general. I suspect this tool has helped accelerate his learning of this piece and he would not have gotten as far as he did if her were working on his own and tool-less. I will be trying some of these things.

Originally Posted by LarryK
I don't think the Prepare mode is available in the iPad app, only on the web browser version. I'll have to figure out a way to hold my laptop behind the keyboard so I can work with it that way.

For this reason, I ended up using a monitor myself.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Ditto on the monitor, plus computer glasses. This hobby is hard enough without struggling against my post middle aged eyes.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by akc42
Just saw this video. Making me quite motivated to perhaps maybe buy another years subscription. I kept my account as a free one for SASR tests after the first year ran out but I am now thinking perhaps I should use PM for more advanced stuff

akc42 I wonder if you keep in free account your personal library that you have built up in the paying version? Today I am more busy with songs I have uploaded myself than with the method of technique of PM. Can you please let me know?

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
Ditto on the monitor, plus computer glasses. This hobby is hard enough without struggling against my post middle aged eyes.

You can enlarge the screen in PianoMarvel, "CTRL +" I must do that too, me over middle age :p

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I’m much happier now that I switched to my laptop and have Prepare mode. I flipped around a Manhassett stand and use that behind the keyboard. I’ll have to take it out of there when I practice guitar with my duo partner but that isn’t too often.

I was talking to my friend who is fairly advanced on the piano. She’s afraid she will ignore dynamics and technique if she uses PianoMarvel. She thinks she’ll use it like a video game. I did get her to try it and she got a 100 on a big chunk of Mozart’s Rondo. She does think that the tool speeds up the learning process.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/06/19 08:14 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65

akc42 I wonder if you keep in free account your personal library that you have built up in the paying version? Today I am more busy with songs I have uploaded myself than with the method of technique of PM. Can you please let me know?

I can't seem to access it - when I try it says I need a premium account. I suspect its all still there (everything else is remembered). I am awaiting my credit card switch over date before re-subscribing as I have totally blown my budget. (Wife Birthday and Grandson Drum lessons).

[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I was talking to my friend who is fairly advanced on the piano. She’s afraid she will ignore dynamics and technique if she uses PianoMarvel. She thinks she’ll use it like a video game. I did get her to try it and she got a 100 on a big chunk of Mozart’s Rondo. She does think that the tool speeds up the learning process.

There are a number of things missing from Piano Marvel. For example, can't change tempo during a piece (speed up, slow down, rubato), etc etc. Dynamics and at least some articulations are in PM though. As we find things missing we can discuss having them add it. I was talking to PM about adding proper support for grace notes. For example, I upload pieces with hairpins and there are PM pieces already in the lessons with staccato, etc.

Personally I'm using PM only to learn pieces I upload and not the lessons within PM. I only use it for learning the notes to the approximate tempo required. Then I have to drop out of PM to further improve the piece.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

There are a number of things missing from Piano Marvel. For example, can't change tempo during a piece (speed up, slow down, rubato), etc etc. Dynamics and at least some articulations are in PM though. As we find things missing we can discuss having them add it. I was talking to PM about adding proper support for grace notes. For example, I upload pieces with hairpins and there are PM pieces already in the lessons with staccato, etc.

Personally I'm using PM only to learn pieces I upload and not the lessons within PM. I only use it for learning the notes to the approximate tempo required. Then I have to drop out of PM to further improve the piece.

I'm ok with using it to get a piece to a certain level and then working outside of it, if necessary. I think the software still has value, in that case.

Are there any other software packages that offer this kind of coaching? I looked into Playground Sessions a little bit but it seems focused on pop music, and they try to up sell every single piece. I have no interest in playing pop songs. I'm far more interested in playing the music of dead composers. The works by dead guys are cheaper, anyway,

I'm more than happy to pay the subscription fee in order to encourage them to keep developing the product.

Hi
Long time lurker. Just got PM talking to my iPad and worked my way through the technique half of Sec 1-A to get accustomed to it. Really fun.

B
B
I signed up for the 30 day free trial today, after this thread caught my eye. As a returning pianist after over 40 years away, I will just have to see if it is useful for me. I briefly looked at the beginner stuff, and I am musically beyond most of that. I am going to start with level 6, and the "Minuet in G minor," just to see how things go. Thirty days seems like an excellent, generous trial period.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
1975 Yamaha Studio Upright
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beardog
I signed up for the 30 day free trial today, after this thread caught my eye. As a returning pianist after over 40 years away, I will just have to see if it is useful for me. I briefly looked at the beginner stuff, and I am musically beyond most of that. I am going to start with level 6, and the "Minuet in G minor," just to see how things go. Thirty days seems like an excellent, generous trial period.

You might want to take a look at the livestream Youtube video recording linked to above by akc42. The "Jordan" in the video who is using it to learn a new Sonata has 11 years of piano and is considerably more advanced than PM level 6. I myself haven't used the PM built-in lessons since June 2018 because I have a teacher, but yet I still use PM to learn pieces I upload myself and play (as a shadow of what Jordan is doing in the video).

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I'd give my right arm for a way to trigger the space bar without taking my hands off of the keyboard. Should I put a stick in my mouth? Bach evidently did this when he ran out of fingers and wanted to hit more keys.

Please, please, please, tie the space bar to a pedal, or enable a speech recognition action, so I can yell: "Again!" I sent in the suggestion abut the pedal, I hope they do it.

I'm pretty close to putting a Bluetooth keyboard on the floor and triggering the space bar with my foot, as we previously discussed.

B
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

You might want to take a look at the livestream Youtube video recording linked to above by akc42. The "Jordan" in the video who is using it to learn a new Sonata has 11 years of piano and is considerably more advanced than PM level 6. I myself haven't used the PM built-in lessons since June 2018 because I have a teacher, but yet I still use PM to learn pieces I upload myself and play (as a shadow of what Jordan is doing in the video).

Thanks, I'll take a look. I doubt that I am much above PM level 6 after so long away from a piano!

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
1975 Yamaha Studio Upright
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

There is also the library with tons of music, up to level 18 wink

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

There is also the library with tons of music, up to level 18 wink

I just have not figured out how PM levels equate to grades outside of PM. I wish PM folks would just tell us. smile

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm pretty close to putting a Bluetooth keyboard on the floor and triggering the space bar with my foot, as we previously discussed.

I use the time of countdown to put my hands back, usually that time is enough right? The intention is ultimately that you find the keys not looking...Or is your keyboard so far away from your piano? That of mine stands just above the piano, right hand spacebar, the left remains on the spot and that works nicely... And I'm already old and slow :p

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

I use the time of countdown to put my hands back, usually that time is enough right? The intention is ultimately that you find the keys not looking...Or is your keyboard so far away from your piano? That of mine stands just above the piano, right hand spacebar, the left remains on the spot and that works nicely... And I'm already old and slow :p

Yes, I suppose it is good practice to be able to quickly get into position but can’t I get an exception for the first measure? Hitting the space bar all the time interrupts the flow for me and I’ll be doing that move thousands of times in the next year. My laptop is not that far away but it is slightly behind the keyboard. I’ll deal with it. Perhaps I can map a Bluetooth pedal to trigger the space bar or whatever key I like. I’ll investigate.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

That’s a hilarious video. I love Igudesman & Joo and I have a ticket to see them in New York with Emanuel Ax! I can’t wait.

My duet partner (classical guitar) is always asking me when I’m going to start playing Rachmaninoff, haha. I always say I’ll get to it in a week.

Honestly, I’m happy that I’ve started work on the C Major Prelude from Book I of the Well Tempered Clavier. Bach is my favorite composer. If I was only allowed to listen to one composer, it would be Bach. Sorry, Sergei, you crazy Russian.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I’m going to send a note to the PianoMarvel people to ask them if their software is compatible with a Bluetooth page turner, like the ones from PageFlip:

https://pageflip.com

Does anybody on here know?

Page 26 of 108 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission