Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Beowulf, AlphaBravoCharlie, Animisha, Alex Hutor, 36251, Boboulus, Andrew_G, ando, 22 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: Gary D.] #2822983
03/05/19 04:51 AM
03/05/19 04:51 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
The difference is that when you start with rote, the B scale is easiest. But you can't start there with notation. It doesn't matter what order you learn the scales in, since the goal is to have all 12, and then you can play them in any order.

The B scale is so easy because there are "grooves" for the thumbs, and it's easy to learn not to put thumbs on black keys - a rule that is later broken many times.

The way the fingers move for B major and C major is very different, so getting to those two scales and comfortable playing both is great for flexibility and understanding how the fingers work.

Yes, I don't think there's any disagreement between us is there? Or is this now addressed to the OP, which would figure since it's his thread and his question! I think it's really refreshing to hear of a teacher who isn't afraid to have their students use the black keys early on, although I guess it depends on how early you introduce scales. I find most beginner piano methods I've seen really quite depressing for their incessant focus on white keys and C major. I'm not a teacher, as I said, but I've often considered it and if I was ever to go for a teachers' diploma this is something I would want to explore further (or perhaps I'm mistaken?). I've already experimented a bit with my own kids (who have no wish for formal lessons, although my eldest has guitar lessons) and they certainly have no problem learning simple tunes that involve the black keys.

Last edited by ShyPianist; 03/05/19 04:51 AM.

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: RyanThePianist] #2823162
03/05/19 03:22 PM
03/05/19 03:22 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
RE: Cadences

You obviously have to start with basic triads and their inversions. Then I go to the common-tone version of the I-IV-I-V7-I progression in the key that the student is working on.

However, throughout the years, I've found that kids loathe this stuff. They just want to play their favorite songs and "songs." All this technical stuff bore them to death. I'm tired of fighting their antipathy.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: AZNpiano] #2823249
03/06/19 06:49 AM
03/06/19 06:49 AM
P
pianoMom2006 Offline
500 Post Club Member
pianoMom2006  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Originally Posted by AZNpiano
RE: Cadences

You obviously have to start with basic triads and their inversions. Then I go to the common-tone version of the I-IV-I-V7-I progression in the key that the student is working on.

However, throughout the years, I've found that kids loathe this stuff. They just want to play their favorite songs and "songs." All this technical stuff bore them to death. I'm tired of fighting their antipathy.

Very true for my 12 year old. He can’t find the “time” to play ONE group each night -3 times each- so he does it quickly in the morning before school. It takes him like 5 minutes or less. He wouldn’t do it at all though unless I reminded him. every .single .day.

Yamaha G2
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: AZNpiano] #2823252
03/06/19 07:13 AM
03/06/19 07:13 AM
Sweden
Animisha Online content
500 Post Club Member
Animisha  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Sweden

Originally Posted by pianoMom2006
Very true for my 12 year old. He can’t find the “time” to play ONE group each night -3 times each- so he does it quickly in the morning before school. It takes him like 5 minutes or less. He wouldn’t do it at all though unless I reminded him. every .single .day.

As I said, I am not a teacher. But I would first try to motivate them to play scales, by explaining how this practice would help them, and also by showing them how nice it sounds when they get it right, like equal pearls on a string. But if I failed at that, I would just drop it. Unless they seem to be on a path of becoming a musician, what is the harm in not having them play scales? It is a serious question. Let them practise songs and more songs, to their hearts' delight. If they get older and still love tp play the piano, they can start practising scales when there is a willingness to do so.

Last edited by Animisha; 03/06/19 07:14 AM.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: Animisha] #2823293
03/06/19 09:50 AM
03/06/19 09:50 AM
P
pianoMom2006 Offline
500 Post Club Member
pianoMom2006  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Originally Posted by Animisha

Originally Posted by pianoMom2006

As I said, I am not a teacher. But I would first try to motivate them to play scales, by explaining how this practice would help them, and also by showing them how nice it sounds when they get it right, like equal pearls on a string. But if I failed at that, I would just drop it. Unless they seem to be on a path of becoming a musician, what is the harm in not having them play scales? It is a serious question. Let them practise songs and more songs, to their hearts' delight. If they get older and still love tp play the piano, they can start practising scales when there is a willingness to do so.

My kids are required to do all their homework (which for piano includes SCA) not pick and choose to do the pieces they want.

Yamaha G2
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: RyanThePianist] #2823318
03/06/19 11:27 AM
03/06/19 11:27 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by RyanThePianist
Hi all,

In an effort to keep this forum busy...

How do other teachers introduce these basic techniques? Do you prefer the pages from Hanon? Alfred's Scales, Arps, Chords, and Cadence book? I personally find that many of these compilations sheets are better at scaring students than introducing them, as they often include scales in 3rds, 6ths, contrary, etc., and I can understand why students may find it a bit of a long haul visually on the page to learn them all.

How about scale diagrams with fingerings on them for students who don't read well yet? Do you make your own simplified and step-by-step sheets? Do you teach soley by memory and repetition after a solid foundation in theory?

When do you introduce the first scales and arpeggios? After a couple of pentascales? Do you go along with the method books? Do you have your own method?

When I learned these, I already understood the order of sharps, flats and key signatures from my teachers giving me various pieces in different keys. I eventually noticed the patterns. I'd go out of my way to use Hanon book to look at suggested fingerings for the beginning of each scale and arpeggio, wrote them down and memorized them, and most fingerings came intuitively and naturally to me from there. For contrary motion, 3rds, etc, I would just learn them without sheets since I knew regular scales well. Chords, to be honest, I don't remember how I learned them as I feel like there was a point in time where I played so many chords in my music that I knew what major and minor 3rds felt like to build major and minor chords. After this, I would practice a chord a day in every inversion, including 7th chords. I know students don't learn like I do having come from different backgrounds.

Thank you.

I made a sheet that has key signatures, fingering for 1 octave scales and 1 octave arpeggios, and then I IV V I chord progression all in root position for each key (written out on staff). It has only the C major scale & arpeggio written out, the rest just finger numbers used.

I usually teach only scales 1 octave going around the circle of 5ths, then the 2nd time around I usually add chords and possibly arpeggios too. If not the 2nd time around, I'll do arpeggios the 3rd time, depending on the student's development. After that, we will explore minor scales, but I refer to other books that have the fingering on there, same for doing 2 8va scales & arpeggios.

Regarding chords, I find if they can easily build major triads, then other kinds of chords - minor, augmented, diminished triads as well as 7th chords - are all derivatives of the major triad. So having a solid foundation in building major triads in any key is important, and then being able to do inversions once that is solid is necessary as well. Many method books covers doing inversions fairly well, so I don't often assign separate exercises for that, but will do if a student needs the extra attention there.

As for speed, all things, IMO must be done at a tempo that keeps it easy. Once it's difficult, it is too fast too soon. I'd much rather hear a very slow, deliberate, and accurate scale, chords, and arpeggio than something rushed through with inaccuracies and the tension that most likely contributes to the inaccuracies. Speed in scales is worked on later around when the student is doing intermediate rep, but again, not before they have built the foundation of being able to do it slowly, accurately, and without tension.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: Animisha] #2823320
03/06/19 11:29 AM
03/06/19 11:29 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Unless they seem to be on a path of becoming a musician, what is the harm in not having them play scales? It is a serious question.

No, that's an awful position to adopt. To be anywhere near competent as a pianist, one should at least KNOW how to play all the major and minor scales. You don't have to play it at an amazing speed, but the correct fingering needs to be internalized and legato needs to be achieved.

I'm not ready to give up the fight, so I will continue to smash antipathy as brutally as possible. In fact, the more I dislike a student, the more technical exercises and etudes I will assign. Those teachers who assign 100 Czerny exercises per year must really hate their students.

Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: AZNpiano] #2823323
03/06/19 11:33 AM
03/06/19 11:33 AM
UK
S
ShyPianist Offline
500 Post Club Member
ShyPianist  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

UK
In fact, the more I dislike a student, the more technical exercises and etudes I will assign. Those teachers who assign 100 Czerny exercises per year must really hate their students.

I’m starting to really like you AZNPiano! 😂

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: AZNpiano] #2823347
03/06/19 12:15 PM
03/06/19 12:15 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
M
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline
M

Boynton Beach, FL
Unless they seem to be on a path of becoming a musician, what is the harm in not having them play scales? It is a serious question.

No, that's an awful position to adopt. To be anywhere near competent as a pianist, one should at least KNOW how to play all the major and minor scales. You don't have to play it at an amazing speed, but the correct fingering needs to be internalized and legato needs to be achieved.

I agree here. They're just too important to ignore.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: RyanThePianist] #2823360
03/06/19 12:56 PM
03/06/19 12:56 PM
South Wales
C
Colin Miles Offline
500 Post Club Member
Colin Miles  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

South Wales
All this talk of scales and arpeggios made me look up mine, only to discover that they seem to have vanished! So am off to buy some of Friday. As a teenager at one time I used to practice them all at the start partly to loosen up and get my head in gear. A very long time ago but perhaps worth going back to basics every now and again.

Roland LX7

South Wales, UK
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: RyanThePianist] #2837279
04/09/19 12:20 PM
04/09/19 12:20 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Well, to add to this thread which I discovered on a link from Tyrone, I have finally learned all major and minor scales, N, H, and M, in 12 (or more accurately 24) keys, 4 octaves, HT. I finish each with an arpeggio, 3 notes and 4 octaves, HT. It has been quite an undertaking. I now do all keys on weekends, and 2-3 per day on the weekdays with the corresponding dom7 and diminished arpeggios (popsicle stick rotation).

Where I am lacking is cadences. Is it generally agreed to start with I IV I V7 I, or rather I IV V7 I or ii V I, which I have toyed with? And should I begin with 3 notes, vs 4 notes which I find to be more complicated for cadences. Is this just overkill or should I be working towards 4 note cadences. Finally, does it matter which inversion to play with cadences? I tend to vary them but think to gain consistency I should simplify for now.

Thanks, teachers!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: Animisha] #2838123
04/11/19 03:16 PM
04/11/19 03:16 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
Greener  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
G

Owen Sound, Ontario
Un0less they seem to be on a path of becoming a musician, what is the harm in not having them play scales?

Nothing. Everything is in the rep anyway and you can still become good. The notes are in the score, or the chords are in the lead sheet.

You can force feed kids and it's done all the time. But still, many protest and simply quit. So, where is the value now?

Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: Greener] #2838156
04/11/19 05:27 PM
04/11/19 05:27 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Greener
Nothing. Everything is in the rep anyway and you can still become good. The notes are in the score, or the chords are in the lead sheet.

You can force feed kids and it's done all the time. But still, many protest and simply quit. So, where is the value now?

I went to school with a kid who refuses to eat any fruit or vegetable. Basically, the only "plants" he would agree to eat are fries and rice.

Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: RyanThePianist] #2838167
04/11/19 06:17 PM
04/11/19 06:17 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
?

Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: RyanThePianist] #2838170
04/11/19 06:30 PM
04/11/19 06:30 PM
Owen Sound, Ontario
G
Greener Offline

Greener  Offline

2000 Post Club Member
G

Owen Sound, Ontario
Not making the connection with scales, sorry.

Look i am not anti-scale, but if the student just wants to play and not aiming to be a star, are there no Teacher's to take them? Thankfully i found one and have a lifetime of piano enjoyment.

I got an earful of everything that was wrong with consevatory teaching when i was young and this was one area.

Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: Greener] #2838186
04/11/19 07:23 PM
04/11/19 07:23 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada

I suspect there was none.

Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: AZNpiano] #2838204
04/11/19 08:29 PM
04/11/19 08:29 PM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I went to school with a kid who refuses to eat any fruit or vegetable. Basically, the only "plants" he would agree to eat are fries and rice.

My takeaway from AZNpianos post is that if you let children do only what “they like” they end up doing many things that are exceedingly mediocre or even harmful to themselves in the long run.

Personally I’m in the camp that kids have to eat their vegetables (yes, all of them ;)) and should learn a basic amount of scales and chords if they are piano students, even if it’s only one octave worth.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: keystring] #2838211
04/11/19 08:56 PM
04/11/19 08:56 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by keystring

I suspect there was none.

Seriously?

I don't presume to speak for anyone, but try this interpretation:

Eating only your favorite foods all the time is not an optimal diet, although it is possible to survive on such a diet.
Playing only what you like all the time is not an effective way to learn to play the piano, although it is possible to carry on doing so forever.

Learner
Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: RyanThePianist] #2838217
04/11/19 09:32 PM
04/11/19 09:32 PM
Canada
keystring Offline
keystring  Offline

Canada
I'd rather not try interpretations because communication is hard enough in an international forum with people with extremely differing backgrounds. That is the first thing.Greener stated that scales are in repertoire, which they are. Whether chords are in lead sheets depends on whether you are using lead sheets, but one can excerpt scales - both block type and arpeggiated, from piano music much of the time. One might have pros and cons about the practicality and effectiveness of such an approach. One could also look at ways of teaching and drilling scales that are a turn-off, and ways that might not be. The kid not eating veggies: maybe he was forced to eat them when young and got turned off them, who knows.

I don't think Greener was talking about doing only what one likes. Greener?

Re: Introducing all Scales, Arpeggios, Chords, and Cadences [Re: AZNpiano] #2838227
04/11/19 10:49 PM
04/11/19 10:49 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Two is so limited. Besides potatoes and rice, I myself do include corn in the vegetable group. So three. thumb

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beyerdynamic DT-1990 or Sennheiser HD 660?
by johanibraaten. 11/14/19 06:05 AM
Bluetooth speakers
by dtrvno. 11/14/19 02:19 AM
Platform style stand for older Yamaha
by Coda9. 11/14/19 12:50 AM
Pianos - what do you get when you pay more?
by Whiggs. 11/14/19 12:22 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,080
Posts2,890,641
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission