Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
96 registered members (azure23, anamnesis, AndrewJCW, amyram, AndyP, astrotoy, anotherscott, Alfonso_, 36251, 20 invisible), 1,582 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 493 of 506 1 2 491 492 493 494 495 505 506
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2812110
02/07/19 07:55 PM
02/07/19 07:55 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Bach invention no 8. I have a love hate relationship with Bach. I continue to practice with Bach due to the technical experiences. In couple of hours, I managed to go through page 2 with both hands, slowly. A few years back it would have taken me weeks to cover the same ground. I am not at the level to play it at the required speed, but I am happy to play it at 60%. YoY, I am loving the progress. .

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Pianoperformance] #2815230
02/14/19 02:22 PM
02/14/19 02:22 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
I have a love hate relationship with Bach. I continue to practice with Bach due to the technical experiences.... YoY, I am loving the progress. .

Oh, yes: I love hearing Bach well played, and it is so frustrating to feel that my Bach piece is lifeless under my hands. If there is progress to be heard eventually, even if it is glacially slow, I will keep at it! So, Pianoperformance, I thank you for the encouragement!

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2815879
02/15/19 04:31 PM
02/15/19 04:31 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Welcome Qwerty53. I had my lesson today. I shared my frustration and delight on last week’s practice with my teacher. The metronome I have come to respect, don’t love, but I do respect it. We worked on dynamics and how I need to become an actor and play the ‘dynamics’ as intended, and not the way my personality would project on it. We listened o various played versions of it, and strangely enough I liked Gould’s version, which was not my take when I started lessons over 5 years ago.
Stayed encouraged. When you observe the ‘little’ improvements over time, and not get overwhelmed with all the new nuances. We are improving.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2820900
02/27/19 08:08 PM
02/27/19 08:08 PM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
I haven’t written up to AOTW lately. We were gone for three weeks and it took me three weeks to get back.... lessons were messed around quite a bit too. Eventually I did get some decent practice in. First I worked on the Schumann’s Prophet Bird and Rocking Horse - I thought they would be things I could get some quick satisfaction playing.
They might be short but definitely not the easiest.
I realized it takes just as much determined work to play even the simplest pieces as trying to get through the Ravel which currently intimidates me.
There is no escaping the concentration needs to get something down so that it settles in your being and becomes second nature to play.
It’s not just learning the notes. That is just the start. Then you have to really, really know the notes. And for me that means, after I have done the slow and laborious task of figuring out the fingering, I have to go through a phase of making every mistake possible. I know it I my head but I don’t know it in my fingers. I try to play faster, I think I can, but stumble around hopelessly ending up feeling stupid and incapable of playing anything.
It means going back to very slow practice and really watching my hands this time around. I know where the notes are but need to figure out how my hands have to move to get from one to the next. Sometimes that’s easy, but now with more challenging pieces, it’s not.
All those things I’ve been taught about practice and clever ways to overcome mistakes mean something now. With easier pieces I didn’t need the basic strategies. Play hands separately first, keep the timing right, find where you stumble and repeat seven times correctly, use various kinds of attack to solidify note or chord sequences, ‘ghosting’ ‘voicing’ the different lines, - all that kind of stuff.
Watching myself progress in my comfort level playing these Schumann’s pieces I had some insights into why I make some mistakes consistently.
I noticed that sometimes I play my octaves ‘short’ and it’s not because my hand are small, quit the opposite. And I think I do that because I fear missing one or other, the top or the bottom note. I also have a bad habit of smashing the semitone, or tone, above or below when it’s the white keys. Same reason, I am unsure of my accuracy and this time because I have big hands it’s easy to overreach the octave.
That was easy enough to sort out.
I’m pretty good with self discipline and am growing more confident of octave placement.
Other things are much more complicated. I find I will mess up reading the staves at times. I read the bass line as treble, and vice versa. Haven’t read anything on piano as if it’s for Viola yet though lol! Worse I will get things out by a third, or read the ledger lines the wrong way up and down.... How my brain does that I’ve no idea but when I catch it I just have to rein in and be more disciplined in my reading...... it’s a matter of concentration. Even which octave you are playing in get confusing in some pieces.... I think its just a matter of over eagerness to sort the piece out and I need to be more patient.
The phrase ‘more haste less speed’ comes to mind. I hear my mother telling me this - Shhh!maybe over 60 yrs ago now! I can hear that eternal admonition ‘Practice slowly’, but did I, do I listen? Then, with a more relaxed attitude, I should loose my fear of making mistakes, and be so much more focused on what the score is asking me to do.
So, I got out the Ravel, Jeux d’Eau. I find I can spend 10 whole minutes on just one measure. This is not a problem! I am on page 4 now, and struggling with measure 29. Tomorrow I shall try measure 30. It is a piece like nothing else I have tried to play, and the cumulative effect of learning new ways of doing things is spilling over to my other pieces, and they seem so much easier. My teacher is full of encouragement and I trust him in offering me this challenge.
Will I get to really play Ravel? Somehow that doesn’t worry me. It is the journey that is the pleasure, the hours of trying and making tiny steps towards that goal, the sharing in the struggles all those wonderful pianist who have mastered it have gone through before me.
My AOTW, well, it’s to be still here and not intimidated by my making mistakes, it’s knowing I can overcome that.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2820988
02/28/19 07:01 AM
02/28/19 07:01 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Nice update Palmpirate. Just about every point you mentioned rang true vis my own experiences of late. Especially liked the part about more haste, less speed. Our teachers have given us this big bag of practice tools and techniques. The sooner we find out which of these works best on the particular piece, phrase, or measure in front of us, the sooner we can bring those notes under our control to produce the desired musical result. In many ways our teachers don't teach us how to play the piano, or even a particular piece..... they teach us how to learn how to play.. We still have to figure it out largely by ourselves using that big tool bag.

My AOTW is that I can now play through the Chopin nocturne. But it isn't really music yet in my mind... making it so has really just started. Now, where did I put that smoothfastsparkling35noterun-tool? I know I left it lying around here somewhere. grin

Jim

Consolation No.2 E maj, F.Liszt
Nocturne C# minor, FChopin
Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2821721
03/01/19 10:32 PM
03/01/19 10:32 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Not really an AOTW; more like a HighlightOTW: just got back from attending a live concert (piano, violin, and cello). There is nothing like hearing music played live. Find something near you and GO!

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2821788
03/02/19 04:30 AM
03/02/19 04:30 AM
Sheffield, UK
K
KevinM Offline
500 Post Club Member
KevinM  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Sheffield, UK
Having my piano teacher say we can move on from Mendelssohn SWW Op. 30 No. 3 and Schumann Album leaves from Coloured leaves. I loved learning them and I love how they sound now.

Now of course I need to pick up something else, but this week will be light on practise.

Kevin

Mendelssohn Song without Words Op19,2 and 19,6, Jensen Sehnsucht Op8,5. Chopin Nocturne C# Minor. Schumann Hasche Mann from Kinderszenen Op15,3. https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin
DP: Kawai MP11SE. HP: Superlux HD681 EVO
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF] #2822352
03/03/19 11:37 AM
03/03/19 11:37 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada

Originally Posted by JimF
Nice update Palmpirate. Just about every point you mentioned rang true vis my own experiences of late. .. they teach us how to learn how to play.. We still have to figure it out largely by ourselves using that big tool bag.

. Now, where did I put that smoothfastsparkling35noterun-tool? I know I left it lying around here somewhere. grin

Jim

Too true JimF. I may not have that 60,000 hrs available to me that those child prodigies had by the age of what......? But woulda, coulda, shoulda’s are not part of my psyche. To me it’s a joy to have the time now to even try!

I read that quite a few PW people are learning that Chopin C#min. Would that be no20 the posthumous one. My book only goes to no19 so must download no 20 from the Webb. It does sound pretty! Or is it no7 op27 no1?
I hope you are enjoying Claire de Lune. I learned it as a teenager and have to relearn some disastrous mistakes that somehow crept in.. but it gets better every time I revisit it.
That Ravel minuet is deceptive.... interesting changes throughout, but that’s Ravel for you. My Jeux D’eau is monstrous but makes everything else seem so much easier! We all need a challeng to progress and to be reminded of just how much effort it takes at every level of learning.
Adieu Web friend, we just keep on keepin’ on!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Palmpirate] #2822643
03/04/19 07:27 AM
03/04/19 07:27 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
PP,

It's the posthumous c# minor nocturne. Not too hard to learn the notes, but as usual with Chopin it's all about dynamics, tone and musicality.

This one:

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2823315
03/06/19 11:05 AM
03/06/19 11:05 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
Jim F, yes , a beautiful piece, and a lovely recording! I hear the need for finding that ‘smoothfastsparkling32noterun-tool’......😆

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2824329
03/08/19 03:07 PM
03/08/19 03:07 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Offline

Qwerty53  Offline

Salish Sea
I like the idea of "HighlightOTW" and maybe it's also "meta-lesson of the week": the encore with which Andras Schiff ended a beautiful recital of works by Janacek and Schumann. First encore, he says: "I will play another sonata. A different one." And we are treated to an entire Beethoven Sonata (24). Audience applauds some more; he comes out for more bows, then sits at the gorgeous gleaming Bosendorfer and plays more Schumann. What Schumann does Sir Andras play for his final encore? A buoyant "Happy Farmer" from Album for the Young! This audience was full, I am sure, of piano players and former piano players: I invite you to imagine how delighted we felt!

And so I guess my AOTW was, the next day, to play through The Happy Farmer myself for the first time -- I played what Andras Schiff played! Surely a first.

Last edited by Qwerty53; 03/08/19 03:09 PM. Reason: Added

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2824815
03/10/19 03:38 AM
03/10/19 03:38 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
F
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
FarmGirl  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

2000 Post Club Member
F

Scottsdale, AZ
I haven’t posted to PW lately. Will start more. I’m in a red eye flight to VA. It sounds like hotel has a piano for me to play. I’m cautiously optimistic.

1) Bach c minor fantasy
2) Morzart Rondo in A minor, K511
3) Schubert Impromptu A flat D935 No2
4) Scriabin op11 prelude #2 and #14 (Re do #2, new #14)
5) kabalevsky Variations in A minor OP 40-2
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF] #2824846
03/10/19 07:36 AM
03/10/19 07:36 AM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
................... Now, where did I put that smoothfastsparkling35noterun-tool? I know I left it lying around here somewhere. grin

Jim

LOL I played that 35 note run about 15 times a day for about 2-3 months! Still not smooth as butter but getting better.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2824872
03/10/19 09:54 AM
03/10/19 09:54 AM
Wexford
D
decmeister Offline
decmeister  Offline
D

Wexford
playing songs including The Way We Were in a jazz style with improvisation, at a concert at the local Arts Centre

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: cmb13] #2825284
03/11/19 07:42 AM
03/11/19 07:42 AM
south florida
JimF Offline
2000 Post Club Member
JimF  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

south florida
Originally Posted by cmb13
................... Now, where did I put that smoothfastsparkling35noterun-tool? I know I left it lying around here somewhere. grin

Jim

LOL I played that 35 note run about 15 times a day for about 2-3 months! Still not smooth as butter but getting better.

Yeah, 35 notes squeezed into 2 beats... that's gonna take me a while... and I'd be happy if that while is only 2-3 months. But as they say, once you've done it once....

Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

[Linked Image]
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Qwerty53] #2825334
03/11/19 09:36 AM
03/11/19 09:36 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
I like the idea of "HighlightOTW" and maybe it's also "meta-lesson of the week": the encore with which Andras Schiff ended a beautiful recital of works by Janacek and Schumann. First encore, he says: "I will play another sonata. A different one." And we are treated to an entire Beethoven Sonata (24). Audience applauds some more; he comes out for more bows, then sits at the gorgeous gleaming Bosendorfer and plays more Schumann. What Schumann does Sir Andras play for his final encore? A buoyant "Happy Farmer" from Album for the Young! This audience was full, I am sure, of piano players and former piano players: I invite you to imagine how delighted we felt!

And so I guess my AOTW was, the next day, to play through The Happy Farmer myself for the first time -- I played what Andras Schiff played! Surely a first.
I love it when the masters play the "simple" or "easy" pieces (encore or not). They play the piece the way it was meant to be played. Here is Horowitz playing Traumerei from Kinderscenen as part of his encore of his Moscow concert (which was his first time back in the Soviet Union since his childhood in Ukraine).

Horowitz Traumerei

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Stubbie] #2825346
03/11/19 10:13 AM
03/11/19 10:13 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Here is Horowitz playing Traumerei from Kinderscenen as part of his encore of his Moscow concert (which was his first time back in the Soviet Union since his childhood in Ukraine).

Horowitz Traumerei

Thanks for this. Very moving. And I see the gentleman at 1:30 was moved to literal tears!

Can hardly believe this is already 33 years later. The children in this video are now older adults. How time flies.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2825362
03/11/19 10:39 AM
03/11/19 10:39 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
Stubbie, I am transfixed by Schumann lately and love listening to the greats perform his pieces.
Here’s another favorite recording, old though it is and very scratchy. I just love Clara Haskil’s Waldszennen, especially her Prophet Bird which I am working on. My teacher is working on Mussorgsky,s Pieces at an Exhibition and told me he’s enjoyed coaching me through this so much and thinks he’ll do it as a encore piece himself!
https://youtu.be/0ERADxHQQDE

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2825365
03/11/19 10:52 AM
03/11/19 10:52 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
Jim F. There’s a 48 run in bars 51/52 in Chopin,Nocturne op27 #2 that was my intro to doing such stuff...... yes, it took for ever ......
In the end it for me was a case of fixing the left hand! Spent so much time perfecting the right my left just trailed behind. What I had to do, and a great ‘tool’ was to know, was make sure I knew which notes played together and then block the right had notes above them. Now apply all those other tools, such as syncopated playing, ghosting one hand or the other, double jumping from one to the next with the leap between being as fast as you can, and knowing where you are headed of course......It worked for me, and now I’d do all that before trying to play it out .....but it is still very intimidating....but worth it to have you fingers dance a ballet over those keys!

Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly] #2825379
03/11/19 11:12 AM
03/11/19 11:12 AM
B.C.Canada
P
Palmpirate Offline
500 Post Club Member
Palmpirate  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

B.C.Canada
Qwerty53, how wonderful! I’m am going to be London on 19th going to a concert with Andras Schiff playing Brahms Concerto no2 down in The Festival Hall. Wonder what treat he will play then!

My AOTW is to have played my Prophet Bird sufficiently well at lesson time to move on to what I call a Master Class review. Phew! I think I started it just after Xmas so just under 3 months. For me i am very pleased since it was a lot harder than it seemed at first!
I still stumble around in the Brahms Gm Rhapsody. I think I’m being stubborn and impatient.
And Ravel is slowly coming along, looking, just lookiing at page 6/16 since bottom of page 5 is still painful.

But I’m leaving for 3 weeks for a 50th college reunion and a trip down to South of France- yippee, no snow! Apart from a visit to a nephew in London for a few days, no piano in sight.
I am hoping my playing will be all the better for the break!

Page 493 of 506 1 2 491 492 493 494 495 505 506

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recording dp output to iphone
by ilumo. 11/14/19 10:19 PM
Kawai NV5
by pppianomarc. 11/14/19 08:57 PM
Suddenly need low-end headphones for daughter's new P71
by Tyrone Slothrop. 11/14/19 08:25 PM
Shigeru Kawai SK-EX
by CyberGene. 11/14/19 04:07 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,099
Posts2,890,952
Members94,968
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission