2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Well ... to be fussy, I'd have to say there really is one UI that I like better.
It's the one found on every acoustic piano.
88 keys
3 pedals
Nothing more.

Whoa, *nothing* more? Maybe it's just me, but a digital piano without a power button and volume control would seem very inconvenient! And one with a USB audio interface but no local control toggle might not work very well for VST users smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Well ... to be fussy, I'd have to say there really is one UI that I like better.
It's the one found on every acoustic piano.
88 keys
3 pedals
Nothing more.

Whoa, *nothing* more? Maybe it's just me, but a digital piano without a power button and volume control would seem very inconvenient! And one with a USB audio interface but no local control toggle might not work very well for VST users smile

The only pianos I know of with 88 keys, 3 pedals, and nothing more are actually acoustics! They don't have power or volume control for obvious reasons smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

The only pianos I know of with 88 keys, 3 pedals, and nothing more are actually acoustics! They don't have power or volume control for obvious reasons smile

Some acoustics have 2 pedals, and some have 4! And some have more (or fewer) than 88 keys, too smile

I understand that this is a little bit of dogpiling, but given Mac's proclivity to rib on phrasing, I'm certain he wouldn't mind a playful bit coming his own way!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
T
trebb Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you all for your replies.

Did you capture the output from the panel for each setting, and replicate those using the Pi?
Yes, I eavesdropped the serial communication and reimplemented more or less everything. I omitted a few things I don't need, like demo and lesson songs.
If I were to change the panel, I'd want to retain the touchscreen but used a faster SOC
Yes, my six year old Raspberry Pi boots already twice as fast as the original UI. Now, the UI is waiting for the mainboard to come alive and not the other way round.

I think the keys should be black rather than gray.
Aside from that this is superb.
Imagine ... buttons dedicated to a function, rather than having functions buried beneath layers of menu/sub-menu complexity!
That's called usability. Yay!
I actually have a half-baked set of engraved black acrylic keycaps, but finishing them is not my highest priority. Usability is, indeed.

Originally Posted by newer player
trebb- that is a fantastic DIY interface. I like the concept, industrial design, and finish.

I find touchscreens from a smartphone to be constant distractions. Your interface would keep me focused on playing and not tempt me to be endlessly tweaking.

Do you have more photos or a video of the build process? If so, they would be fun to see.
Unfortunately not. The only thing I can offer is the project page on Github, https://github.com/trebb/untouch.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
To my understanding, the OP has found a service manual for a CA78 (visible in the pictures) and according to that manual, every setting can be recreated through a combination of a service command, which in this case is sent by pressing one of the computer keyboard buttons + piano key according to the table. Maybe I am wrong, the OP can shed more light.
The user manual visible in the pictures is part of the project. Here's another example:
[Linked Image]To activate, say, "Gospel Organ" as the first or only sound, you press F1 and K on the ugly keypad, followed by piano key B2. You don't need to use your eyes to achieve this. (Btw, there are exactly 88 sounds available.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cool project, trebb! Not my style of UI (I prefer the original touch screen), but it must be a lot of fun to develop!

Are you planning on implementing a macro scheme of some sort?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not kidding, really. Most engineered user interfaces stink ... because most engineers have little ability in developing good interfaces.
So when I say I prefer 88+3, I mean that nearly everything that a digital adds to that has been poorly done.
I prefer simplicity. I hate gadgetry.
I understand that this is a little bit of dogpiling, but given Mac's proclivity to rib on phrasing, I'm certain he wouldn't mind a playful bit coming his own way!
But the jovial direction of this thread is appreciated.

(Poor trebb. He's been highjacked.) frown

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Not kidding, really. Most engineered user interfaces stink ... because most engineers have little ability in developing good interfaces.
So when I say I prefer 88+3, I mean that nearly everything that a digital adds to that has been poorly done.
I prefer simplicity. I hate gadgetry.(

Then is it only headphones that prevent you from just abandoning digitals and being in the acoustic piano world for good?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
trebb Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by JoBert
Cool project, trebb! Not my style of UI (I prefer the original touch screen), but it must be a lot of fun to develop!

Are you planning on implementing a macro scheme of some sort?
User-generated macros would require some robust storage the Raspberry Pi hardware doesn't offer, afaik. The system is never being shut down cleanly and must therefore be strictly read-only to avoid data corruption.
I did hard-code a few things I considered useful. On startup, the UI will always activate registration 0 (you can't be outside a registration), and you can specify the tempo by tapping a UI key.

Last edited by trebb; 02/28/19 03:22 PM.
Very interesting project!

Speaking personally, I prefer the aesthetics and functionality of the original NV10 interface - this kind of "press a button, then a key, then another key" approach to selecting settings reminds me of an older CN model.

However, I can appreciate the efforts that you have gone to capture and decode the communication between the touchscreen controller and main CPU board, and for making the code available on GitHub.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think it's great! Instead of buttons, maybe you can use an 8 way joystick laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
If you want to upgrade the control keys for a specific look, feel or sound, this is a great forum on computer keyboards, keys, controllers:

https://deskthority.net/viewforum.php?f=2

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Hats off, trebb. It would be interesting to see if your project unlocks the "missing" voices on the CA78.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great project - well done.

Originally Posted by trebb
User-generated macros would require some robust storage the Raspberry Pi hardware doesn't offer, afaik. The system is never being shut down cleanly and must therefore be strictly read-only to avoid data corruption.
I did hard-code a few things I considered useful. On startup, the UI will always activate registration 0 (you can't be outside a registration), and you can specify the tempo by tapping a UI key.
Could you expand on what is meant by "robust storage"? I take it the SD card doesn't count.

Couldn't you make any writes to a config file atomic, e.g. make a copy of the active config file, make changes to that, and only when it's been written (and verified?) you change its filename? I'm sure you've thought of this but I'm trying to enhance my own understanding of the problem.

Also, are you at all tempted to try getting the RasPi to run Pianoteq?

Last edited by lolatu; 03/02/19 08:05 PM.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
P
paf Offline
P
Thank you all for your replies.
Did you capture the output from the panel for each setting, and replicate those using the Pi?
Yes, I eavesdropped the serial communication and reimplemented more or less everything. I omitted a few things I don't need, like demo and lesson songs.

This is incredible work, trebb, I'm very impressed. It motivates me to try my own DIY project with an Arduino or RPi and I hope that others will now try to circumvate the terrible GUI of the NV10/CAx8.

Two questions:
  • Do you have the description of the serial protocol in a more readable form than the code on GitHub?
  • How did you make the mechanical (acrylic) part, so that the new controller fits in the piano?
  • Do interfaces like MIDI or USB still work, i.e. are they supported by the sound engine or by the module you replaced?

Regards
Patrick

Last edited by paf; 03/03/19 04:34 AM.

Kawai CA98, Technics SX-PX 201 with homemade multitrack MIDI recorder based on an Arduino
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by paf

Do interfaces like MIDI or USB still work, i.e. are they supported by the sound engine or by the module you replaced?

Both midi and USB work even if the panel isn't booted up or if the panel has crashed, so I think those are all handled by the main board and not the panel.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
T
trebb Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Very interesting project!

Speaking personally, I prefer the aesthetics and functionality of the original NV10 interface - this kind of "press a button, then a key, then another key" approach to selecting settings reminds me of an older CN model.

However, I can appreciate the efforts that you have gone to capture and decode the communication between the touchscreen controller and main CPU board, and for making the code available on GitHub.

The well structured, simple hardware design has been the main reason for my purchase decision. It may also come in handy when it comes to long-term maintainability.

T
trebb Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by lolatu
Could you expand on what is meant by "robust storage"? I take it the SD card doesn't count.
Couldn't you make any writes to a config file atomic, e.g. make a copy of the active config file, make changes to that, and only when it's been written (and verified?) you change its filename? I'm sure you've thought of this but I'm trying to enhance my own understanding of the problem.
Cutting power during a writing operation can lead to corruption of uninvolved system files. Quoting https://hackaday.com/2016/08/03/single-board-revolution-preventing-flash-memory-corruption/:
The special properties of Flash memory reach deep down to the silicon, where individual memory cells (floating gates) are grouped in pages (areas that are programmed simultaneously), and pages are grouped in blocks (areas that are erased simultaneously). Because entire blocks have to be erased before new data can be written to them, adding data to an existing block is a complex task: At a given block size (i.e. 16 kB), storing a smaller amount of data (i.e. 1 kB), requires reading the existing block, modifying it in cache, erasing the physical block, and writing back the cached version.
This behavior makes Flash memory (including SSDs, SD-cards, eMMCs, and USB thumb drives) slightly more susceptible to data corruption than other read-write media: There is always a short moment of free fall between erasing a block and restoring its content.

Originally Posted by lolatu
Also, are you at all tempted to try getting the RasPi to run Pianoteq?
I'm afraid I don't know anything about Pianoteq.

T
trebb Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by paf
This is incredible work, trebb, I'm very impressed. It motivates me to try my own DIY project with an Arduino or RPi and I hope that others will now try to circumvate the terrible GUI of the NV10/CAx8.
Two questions:
  • Do you have the description of the serial protocol in a more readable form than the code on GitHub?
The intercepted raw data and a few processing tools are in https://github.com/trebb/repno. I wouldn't call it more readable, though.

Originally Posted by paf
  • How did you make the mechanical (acrylic) part, so that the new controller fits in the piano?
I had them laser cut. The top part I bent into shape using hot air. The display window is glued in with nitrocellulose thinner. I also did a lot of filing, sanding, and polishing.

Originally Posted by paf
  • Do interfaces like MIDI or USB still work, i.e. are they supported by the sound engine or by the module you replaced?
Gombessa's observations are correct. You can even remove the UI and expect the piano to work as before.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Just my opinion for what it’s worth. But, I don’t get it. confused This is an amazing project trebb. However, why replace the control panel? I use it every day, often to do a reset and resave favorites to try things out, like Wall EQ, Voice, or Touch. It takes a few minutes at most to reset the five favorites I usually use. Three in Sound mode for headphones and two in Pianist mode for speakers. It would be nice if it went completely black or was hidden in a pull out drawer, I suppose. But it works just fine as it is.

Kawai NV10
I spent only a very limited time with an NV at a local shop a few months ago, and I focused my attention on the piano, not the control panel.

But I do remember that the touch pad was confusing. To much functionality in too little space.

I'd like to see an off-the-shelf tablet connected to the NV, and have an tablet app be the control panel.

Perhaps that's out of scope for trebb ... but that's my wish.

But take your time, trebb. I won't be buying an NV for two years. When I retire the NV will be the second thing I buy. smile

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission