2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 108 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 107 108
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Has anybody used the Alfred Adult Beginner Piano Book inside of PianoMarvel. Is it worth purchasing?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
Has anybody used the Alfred Adult Beginner Piano Book inside of PianoMarvel. Is it worth purchasing?

The last time I looked to see if there were paid add-ons was back in February 2018 when I originally subscribed, and I asked PM Tech Support at that time and there were no paid add-ons or song collections - just the base system. I guess there has been at least one added since. I'm not so interested in Alfred's since I am already taking lessons with a teacher, but are there any other paid song collections besides Alfred's? And is the subscription for them one time or an additional monthly charge?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

The last time I looked to see if there were paid add-ons was back in February 2018 when I originally subscribed, and I asked PM Tech Support at that time and there were no paid add-ons or song collections - just the base system. I guess there has been at least one added since. I'm not so interested in Alfred's since I am already taking lessons with a teacher, but are there any other paid song collections besides Alfred's? And is the subscription for them one time or an additional monthly charge?

Good questions,

If you type "Alfred" in the title field here:

https://pianomarvel.com/music-library/

you will see a number of books entitled Alfred's Premier Piano Course, and one for the Adult Group Piano for Adults. So, I guess the Adult Beginner book is not available.

I can't tell the pricing from that page but those books seem to be included in the PREMIUM package. It says they were added in April 2015, which is interesting because you said they were not available in February of 2018.

Update: I was able to add the Alfred Premier Course in PianoMarvel. I have Levels 1-6, just the pieces. I suppose I'll have to buy the book for other learning material. At the moment, I don't have a teacher.

Last edited by LarryK; 02/27/19 08:10 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Update: I was able to add the Alfred Premier Course in PianoMarvel. I have Levels 1-6, just the pieces. I suppose I'll have to buy the book for other learning material. At the moment, I don't have a teacher.

So when you say you were able to add, do you mean add without paying? Because in that case, it is consistent with what they told me in February 2018. They told me there were no "paid add-ons", not that there were no add-ons at all.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

So when you say you were able to add, do you mean add without paying? Because in that case, it is consistent with what they told me in February 2018. They told me there were no "paid add-ons", not that there were no add-ons at all.

I was able to add it as part of having a Premium membership. So, I don't think there are any paid add-ons. I am, however, in my free trial period so I'll find out when I buy a year's subscription whether there are any paid add-ons.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

I was able to add it as part of having a Premium membership. So, I don't think there are any paid add-ons. I am, however, in my free trial period so I'll find out when I buy a year's subscription whether there are any paid add-ons.

So paid Premium is different than paid Standard? I think I only have the paid Standard membership. When I signed up, there was only one paid membership after the free trial period.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

So paid Premium is different than paid Standard? I think I only have the paid Standard membership. When I signed up, there was only one paid membership after the free trial period.

It looks like the only choices are Premium Monthly and Premium Annual.

https://pianomarvel.com/users/subscribe

I think it just means that you can't access certain things when you have a free trial. Some things are only accessible once you have a paid subscription. There is nothing that I haven't been able to access.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
I think it just means that you can't access certain things when you have a free trial. Some things are only accessible once you have a paid subscription. There is nothing that I haven't been able to access.

Could you see if the Alfred Adult Beginner book is available? The Premier series seems aimed at children, which might be ok, haha.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Could you see if the Alfred Adult Beginner book is available? The Premier series seems aimed at children, which might be ok, haha.

In terms of complete courses, I may have missed a few, but I see only 4 Alfred books: Alfred's Premier Piano Course, Alfred's Christmas Premier Piano Course, and Alfreds Group Piano for Adults 1 & 2.

From what I read on the teachers forum, it seems some adult students and teachers prefer the children's course over the "adult course" because the adult course is accelerated, and so when there is not enough material, teachers have to add their own enrichment, while the children's course goes through more material for each level. You can do a search on Alfred's on the teachers forum and see for yourself.

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

In terms of complete courses, I may have missed a few, but I see only 4 Alfred books: Alfred's Premier Piano Course, Alfred's Christmas Premier Piano Course, and Alfreds Group Piano for Adults 1 & 2.

From what I read on the teachers forum, it seems some adult students and teachers prefer the children's course over the "adult course" because the adult course is accelerated, and so when there is not enough material, teachers have to add their own enrichment, while the children's course goes through more material for each level. You can do a search on Alfred's on the teachers forum and see for yourself.

Thanks for that clarification. Ok, I'll sign up for the children's course! I think I still have to buy the books as only the pieces are available in Piano Marvel, as far as I can tell.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Are any of you going to be submitting for the PianoMarvel Youtube contest for which entries are due in 2 days?

[Linked Image]

Are any of you going to be submitting for the PianoMarvel Youtube contest for which entries are due in 2 days?

No sir. But good luck to all who are into this sort of thing.

I discovered this morning that PM changed the flashcard exercises. You no longer have to actually play them on tempo. If you can peck them out in 'prepare' mode you're golden. This will certainly free me from some stress but I'm not sure what caused the change or if it's really going to help me. I reported it as a bug, then found out it was a deliberate change.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Lately I had a lot of problems with the software of Marvel. The plugin was not running and in prepare mode the program missed correct notes. That was in Firefox. I then installed Google Chrome and all the problems were solved. Piano Marvel runs like a train. So if you also have problems, try Chrome, maybe everything will be solved. wink

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tech-key
Yes, it gives trophies for uploaded MIDIs when you play them. However, you can't only upload the MIDI. You have to upload the score, which can be created in the free MuseScore app. Also, you have to play the piece on your keyboard when connected to the PM software. You can't record your playing of the piece and get a trophy for it.

There is already a substantial free library of pieces, so it's possible that if you are trying to learn a western piece, it might already be in the library.

What I do is upload the piece I want to work on into PM, then I slice and dice it into pieces in PM. And when I practice the piece, I get scored for that in PM, and it remembers the score so I always know what parts I have practiced well enough and what parts need more work.

I wanted to use it for Indian songs or any particular arrangement I like for a western song. I simplify the LH using the MuseScore software. You mentioned that they will give out trophies for any kind of upload (as long as the keyboard is connected to the s/w), which is great. Thanks!

Using MuseScore, you just export both the *.musicxml and *.mid files and then upload those into PM. You can then slice up the piece if you want in PM to learn only one part of it at a time or only one hand. You can get scores/trophies for each of those pieces too, in addition to the entire piece. For now, you have to use a version of MuseScore which is earlier than release 3.0 though (earlier versions are available on the MuseScore website). This compatibility issue is something I'd expect PM to fix shortly.

Remember that all tempo marks in MIDI and musicxml should be removed or the upload plays errors. Even after the export, the MIDI file has to be opened a second time in Musescore, which apparently puts a tempo mark on it during first export.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Ok, I paid for a year's membership in PianoMarvel! I ordered the first four levels of the Alfred Premier books.

I know how easy it is to give up but I will strive to practice every day. I've started the Level 3 exercises.

I saw a TED talk where someone described a school in which they did not give failing grades, they gave a grade of Not Yet. They found by doing that the students would stay engaged in trying to solve the problems and not give up and decide they had failed. With more effort, the Not Yet grades could turn into Now.

I think it is important to believe in the power of incremental improvement. Day to day, it looks like there is no progress, but week to week or month to month, those timespans tell a different story.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/03/19 03:33 PM.
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

I think it is important to believe in the power of incremental improvement. Day to day, it looks like there is no progress, but week to week or month to month, those timespans tell a different story.

SO TRUE !!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just saw this video. Making me quite motivated to perhaps maybe buy another years subscription. I kept my account as a free one for SASR tests after the first year ran out but I am now thinking perhaps I should use PM for more advanced stuff

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
That video is inspirational!

So, on simple pieces, on the iPad, I have not seen the Prepare and Assess buttons. How do get those to come up?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I don't think the Prepare mode is available in the iPad app, only on the web browser version. I'll have to figure out a way to hold my laptop behind the keyboard so I can work with it that way.

Page 25 of 108 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission