2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
78 members (AZNpiano, achoo42, AaronSF, anotherscott, Beowulf, 36251, 27 invisible), 581 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What do you pursue with your hobby? The big WHY?
Tyrone Slothrop #2819629 02/24/19 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I love music. It’s the only thing that gives me instant comfort. Listening, playing. And a bit of all the points.

BTW, I’ve long been married, and since recently also a father. But admittedly in my past, inviting a girl home and playing her Chopin... Well, I’m stopping here before getting into troubles... laugh

Well. I never thought playing classical piano had any benefits other than making the music!

Take the Motley Crew comment and replace with Liszt! Or so the story goes.

Beethoven, Bach -> Kawai CA-97 -> Garritan CFX Full -> Neumann Klein and Hummel 310s
Bruce In Philly #2819636 02/24/19 08:14 PM
P
P
n.8 it's impossible, nobody is going to buy cd, it's all for free now. So let's all live in poverty now, and let's enjoy our hobby smile

CyberGene #2819640 02/24/19 08:33 PM
E
EPW Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
E
Well I did impress this one girl with Come Sail Away. How do I know?
She Sailed away with me on a long life journey. Yes she married me smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Bruce In Philly #2819728 02/25/19 04:34 AM
Y
Y
Come on! Guys!
Why don't you answer from hearts!
Wouldn't it all because of someday in your life art has saved you!
Because of fighting the death, the reality?
Because of expressing your life, your existence, your soul, you!
Because of sharing your love!

And by the way, do not fool yourselves. "Girls" do not care about pianists. Let them name one.

Bruce In Philly #2819729 02/25/19 04:41 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That depends on your enunciation. smile

Bruce In Philly #2819735 02/25/19 05:28 AM
For me, I'd add #10 to the list: Just For The Fun Of It

MacMacMac #2819750 02/25/19 07:33 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Pish posh. That's not a real reason! wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
similar #2819764 02/25/19 08:27 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by similar
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I love music. It’s the only thing that gives me instant comfort. Listening, playing. And a bit of all the points.

BTW, I’ve long been married, and since recently also a father. But admittedly in my past, inviting a girl home and playing her Chopin... Well, I’m stopping here before getting into troubles... laugh

Well. I never thought playing classical piano had any benefits other than making the music!

Take the Motley Crew comment and replace with Liszt! Or so the story goes.

I am not sure where I have that information, hopefully it's not some exaggerated fake legend, but Liszt was kind of a "rock star" of its time, women went crazy on his concerts, even passing out smile Also, to my knowledge he was one of a few pianists who actually moved the grand piano development forward requesting that it's louder and more powerful so that he can perform at bigger venues. That led to gradual increase of key travel from around 7-8mm at Chopin's time to 10mm which is the current standard. It's said that shallower key travel promotes better pianissimo control at the expense of lacking in the fortissimo range. There's an interesting mechanical feature of some of the Steingraeber pianos today, called Mozart rail which allow to instantly modify that distance through a lever.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Bruce In Philly #2819768 02/25/19 08:41 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisztomania

Lisztomania was characterized by intense levels of hysteria demonstrated by fans, akin to the treatment of celebrity musicians today – but in a time not known for such musical excitement.
Lisztomania was characterized by a hysterical reaction to Liszt and his concerts.[2][3] Liszt's playing was reported to raise the mood of the audience to a level of mystical ecstasy.[3] Admirers of Liszt would swarm over him, fighting over his handkerchiefs and gloves.[3] Fans would wear his portrait on brooches and cameos.[2][4] Women would try to get locks of his hair, and whenever he broke a piano string, admirers would try to obtain it in order to make a bracelet.[4] Some female admirers would even carry glass phials into which they poured his coffee dregs.[2] According to one report:

Liszt once threw away an old cigar stump in the street under the watchful eyes of an infatuated lady-in-waiting, who reverently picked the offensive weed out of the gutter, had it encased in a locket and surrounded with the monogram "F.L." in diamonds, and went about her courtly duties unaware of the sickly odour it gave forth.

Bruce In Philly #2819773 02/25/19 08:53 AM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
It's curious, the things girls used to pass out to in the old days. It would be very surprising to see reports of a girl fainting in a piano recital due to over excitement today - let alone masses of them, which was reputedly the case with Liszt.

Also, at the first performances of Tristan and Isolde, at least one person died through excessive arousal from the music and many others were taken ill. Again, I can't imagine such a thing happening now.

Yet these are surely physiological reactions to a mainly sonic stimulation. Surely the human organism has not changed so very much in 150 years. We must indeed be crude armoured creatures these days compared to the delicate sensibility of our recent ancestors.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Bruce In Philly #2819774 02/25/19 09:02 AM
T
Tyr Online Content
Online Content
T
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

3 - To write and or arrange your own music
7 - Love to play with gear
9 - Improve improvisational skills

Things i want to add:

- Just playing the Piano
- Learning the instrument to work as a piano teacher after my work retirement in 30 years. wink

Kawai Novus NV5
Bruce In Philly #2819787 02/25/19 09:27 AM
F
F
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

9 - Improve improvisational skills
3 - To write and or arrange your own music
5 - To learn theory and improve ear training so to play along with others or recordings
2 - Improve sight reading skills
7 - Love to play with gear
6 - To produce and arrange for others

That would be my order...

[Linked Image]
toddy #2819790 02/25/19 09:28 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by toddy
It's curious, the things girls used to pass out to in the old days. It would be very surprising to see reports of a girl fainting in a piano recital due to over excitement today - let alone masses of them, which was reputedly the case with Liszt.

Also, at the first performances of Tristan and Isolde, at least one person died through excessive arousal from the music and many others were taken ill. Again, I can't imagine such a thing happening now.

Yet these are surely physiological reactions to a mainly sonic stimulation. Surely the human organism has not changed so very much in 150 years. We must indeed be crude armoured creatures these days compared to the delicate sensibility of our recent ancestors.

This is a very interesting observation, one deserving a separate thread, not necessarily in this forum. I've recently commented on another forum my absolute admiration for Mahler's sixth symphony. And it's still a mystery how come one can produce close to two hours of music which is soo profoundly deep and serious. Imagine what it requires for the composer, then for the performers and director, and then for the audience. It's kind of frustrating 100 years later we are incapable of reaching that kind of dedication among all the involved. I'm not to bash on modern music but in my biased opinion there's no modern equivalent to a grand symphony like that. Is it that people are not currently able to spend two hours listening to something that requires immense concentration, is it just out of fashion, is it that our environment is so fast and dynamic that it's not worth it to spend so much time and effort participating in something that is of "no importance", or maybe the average IQ and ability to be concentrated has lowered with the years? All that puzzles me a lot.

Bruce In Philly #2819793 02/25/19 09:30 AM
@Bruce in Philly ... You gave a prototype list, but you didn't specify your own reasons or priorities.

MacMacMac #2819814 02/25/19 10:52 AM
C
C

This is pretty much my reason. I won't ever gig or anything and just enjoy this as a hobby. As I slowly progress it is becoming more fun. if I have to pick off the list I would select #1. One of my goals this year is to progress to the point where "easy" piano books are actually easy for me. Right now while I can play from an easy book they take some time and work although I'm making progress. It would be great to get to the point where I could pick up a lead sheet and embellish it a bit but for now I'm just spending time in the Fake Book and easy Piano book woodshed after I finish my method book pieces for the day.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3b. Kawai MP11SE.
[Linked Image]
toddy #2819846 02/25/19 12:27 PM

Pathology, especially toxicology, had improved to such degree, that that kind of baloney wouldn't pass muster nowadays. Few people are so naive to actually believe that.

toddy #2819849 02/25/19 12:38 PM
I can believe some of these stories about women fainting. It has happened even in modern times.
Just look at the reaction to the Beatles in their early appearances. (Okay, no piano there, but still ...)

You're right about this, though. It's a bit much, eh?
... at least one person died through excessive arousal from the music and many others were taken ill.

CyberGene #2819851 02/25/19 12:41 PM
It's kind of frustrating 100 years later we are incapable of reaching that kind of dedication among all the involved. I'm not to bash on modern music but in my biased opinion there's no modern equivalent to a grand symphony like that. Is it that people are not currently able to spend two hours listening to something that requires immense concentration, is it just out of fashion, is it that our environment is so fast and dynamic that it's not worth it to spend so much time and effort participating in something that is of "no importance", or maybe the average IQ and ability to be concentrated has lowered with the years? All that puzzles me a lot.

People are certainly capable of concentrating staying concentrated and listening for long periods of time. Except that nowadays it is done at home not in a shared public space. It is called "having a marathon of <artistic name>" or "binge watching/listening".

The public venues didn't keep up with the physiological needs of people involved in such long listening/watching sessions. I think Bayreuth Festspielhaus (where Wagner's opera stuff gets regularly played) is probably the last place on Earth that regularly accommodates audience bringing their own pillows and snack/refreshments to the seating area.

I'm puzzled that you are puzzled by this evolution. That is unless you wrote your comment as a sort of rant or trolling.

MacMacMac #2819852 02/25/19 12:45 PM
Just look at the reaction to the Beatles in their early appearances. (Okay, no piano there, but still ...)

Man, read a bit about the history of music marketing. The "girls screaming" schtick was all paid up in advance by the promoters.

Organized music/artistic performance marketing is nothing new. Please read up starting with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claque .

Last edited by 90125; 02/25/19 12:49 PM. Reason: joined with an edit to another message
90125 #2819854 02/25/19 12:48 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 90125
It's kind of frustrating 100 years later we are incapable of reaching that kind of dedication among all the involved. I'm not to bash on modern music but in my biased opinion there's no modern equivalent to a grand symphony like that. Is it that people are not currently able to spend two hours listening to something that requires immense concentration, is it just out of fashion, is it that our environment is so fast and dynamic that it's not worth it to spend so much time and effort participating in something that is of "no importance", or maybe the average IQ and ability to be concentrated has lowered with the years? All that puzzles me a lot.

People are certainly capable of concentrating staying concentrated and listening for long periods of time. Except that nowadays it is done at home not in a shared public space. It is called "having a marathon of <artistic name>" or "binge watching/listening".

The public venues didn't keep up with the physiological needs of people involved in such long listening/watching sessions. I think Bayreuth Festspielhaus (where Wagner's opera stuff gets regularly played) is probably the last place on Earth that regularly accommodates audience bringing their own pillows and snack/refreshments to the seating area.

I'm puzzled that you are puzzled by this evolution. That is unless you wrote your comment as a sort of rant or trolling.

I think you missed my point or I didn't express it well. It was not about the duration. It was about general interest in serious music. Yeah, there are Wagner festivals and Mahler can still be heard, etc, I mean we have the entire classical repertoire which people can either listen live or at home.

But my point was there's no modern music with that kind of complexity and comparable "architectural" completeness that can also hold the potential of filling in a huge concert hall.

P.S. And before missing my point again. Maybe there is complex music nowadays (I don't know, would be interested in examples, even if from popular genres or non-classical/academic genres) but how many people listen to it, compared to people 100 or 200 years ago? Which was my point. And BTW, I formed it as a question, I didn't say it was one way or another. Maybe I am completely wrong and have missed a lot of interesting modern music. Or I am wrong and many people would listen to complex music but only at home, which I guess is what you tried to answer and that may be a valid answer as well.

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/25/19 12:54 PM.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Roland A-88mk2 - clunky black keys?
by Karnevil - 07/13/20 01:53 PM
PianoLink International Amateur Competition
by SiFi - 07/13/20 01:17 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,235
Posts2,980,269
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission