Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
107 registered members (AndrewJCW, ando, akc42, amyram, AntonioC, 36251, amad23, 30 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818211
02/21/19 12:32 AM
02/21/19 12:32 AM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

Thank you, SMA55, cmb13, AssociateX, Monika K, Sibylle, MarieJ, Pianist685, for your kind words about my Mendelssohn submission. I struggled somewhat with this piece, as you know, so it's good to hear I mostly pulled it off in the end. I'm behind on listening (and am going away for the weekend) but hopefully will catch up next week. I've listened to just a few submissions so far:

Moo--great job with the Brahms, I loved it. I tackled two of the Intermezzi about 16 years ago, before I stopped taking lessons for a while, and now am feeling a little tempted to try them again (although my teacher finds Brahms to be rather pianist-unfriendly).

cmb13--these runs were very fluid, nice job. I've only played one Chopin Nocturne, the e minor one (72.1), and I know very well that even those supposedly "easier" nocturnes are still plenty challenging.

PianogrlNW--really enjoyed this unusual rag. Also, good to know that one can come back to old pieces and actually "conquer" them!

sinophilia--very nicely played, I enjoyed it.

Sorry I'm not being more specific, I can usually give more concrete feedback on pieces I've played myself, which wasn't the case here. Can't wait to listen to the rest of the recital.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818251
02/21/19 06:23 AM
02/21/19 06:23 AM
Germany
Pianist685 Offline
Pianist685  Offline

Germany
I was on business travel until yesterday. Continuing listening to the various contributions…

06 Keselo – Valse (Koechlin) Less famous composers are always very interesting. A very contemplative, silent little gem you are presenting in an effective manner. I can still hear it is a waltz. “Mouvement de valse lente” just means “movement of a slow waltz”, without really indicating how slow it should be.

10 Sansalholme – 4 Lyric pieces by Grieg These 4 are among the most famous of Griegs 66 (I think) lyric pieces. I have played them myself, so I had to listen to your interpretation. Very good, with perfect control, just as I expected. The only thing that did not convince me is the Pianoteq sound I find too direct and “dry” with too much hard attack. Maybe it would sound better with some reverberation added with Audacity.

14 Peyton – Questa notte (Einaudi) So this is Einaudi? What an interesting piece. It has some Irish touch to my ears, and it seems to be written in a church mode. The sudden stops at 2:45 and 4:20 are intriguing, they reminded me of the “Coulter Ghost” by Phil Coulter.

15 Riddler – Naima (John Coltrane) Thanks for playing this wonderful jazz ballad with somewhat mysterious chords and for proving that jazz does not always need an improvisation.

16 Kalos Piano – Turkish March (Mozart) Simply marvellous! This is one of the best contributions in this recital. Fantastic! Played by heart with perfect control without any mistakes after only 3.5 years! You are really very talented. Little pedal, just as it should be, wonderful runs and perfect dynamics. Only the last chord one octave higher is un-Mozart, haha.

17 peterws – Coming home You are a fine composer and producer of digital music. Thanks for sharing this very pleasant piece, although I did not hear any piano in it.

20 Jazztpt – Road to where I enjoyed listening to your original composition, again. Warm, jazzy chords.

22 cmb13 – Chopin Nocturne C# minor, posth. This is one of the most touching pieces of classical music. I am so glad Chopin’s request to burn all his unpublished works was not respected. I can see you are playing this by heart. Fantastic!

26 Monica K – Stella del Mattino (Einaudi) This is one of Einaudi’s most famous pieces. You are bringing out the melody very well.

31 Sam S – Beethoven Sonata 12, 1st Mvmt This piece is typically Beethoven, indeed, and you are playing it in an amazing and very appropriate manner with limited use of pedal. Yes, I have listened to the whole recording. Just wonderful!

34 Dmitry Balezin – Requiem for a dream (Mansell) I have googled the composer and the piece and learned it is the soundtrack of a 2000 movie with the same name. Another cult hit by Mansell entitled "Lux Eterna" is in this movie. It was also used in the trailer of “Lord of the Rings, the 2 towers”. I haven’t seen either of these movies, though…

37 AssociateX – Schubert Moment Musical #3 I enjoyed listening to you rendition of this happy Schubert tune. A very famous piece and a small gem of classical music.

56 Sam Rose – Prelude C# minor (Rachaninoff) No din at all. You seem to have a professional or semi-professional background and are mastering the piece and the instrument very well. I watched the video. Well, I know the weather can be hot in California but for this piece you could have put on some more decent clothing … and shoes… haha

57 Pathbreaker – Fauré Nocturne 84/8 I am not that familiar with Fauré’s works but I liked this nocturne right from the start. Your playing and recording are very professional.

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818372
02/21/19 01:56 PM
02/21/19 01:56 PM
Denmark
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
QuasiUnaFantasia  Offline

Denmark
It took a few days, but now I've made my way through the list also, and I would like to offer my (fairly brief) comments. Since my interests and experience lie in classical music, there are quite a few performances which I feel completely unqualified to speak about, so in the following only classical pieces, or those who are meant to be in a classical style (including ragtime), are mentioned. My apologies to all whose efforts were in a more modern style.

Since this was my first participation in a recital, I had no idea about what to expect. But I know one thing now: a lot of effort, talent, and dedication to music has gone into making this recital. I think it is exciting when so many people get together to create such a great collaborative effort - in effect an online music festival.

01. Jerzyk19 - Prelude Op.28 No.13 in F sharp major
Very delicately played; you really brought out the melancholy of the piece well.

02. MarieJ - Gymnopedie No.2
Didn't know that one. Thanks for making me aware of it. You made it sound very calming and pleasant, but I imagine the slow pace must have required a lot of control.

03. EdmondRhapsody - Air on the G String
Nice even touch throughout. And the strings were also a nice touch. smile

04. PianogrlNW - Graceful Ghost Rag
How enjoyable! A rag from the seventies; who knew? Very confident playing, and very good recording quality too.

06. Keselo - Valse
Impressively soft touch. And a composer completely unknown to me; thanks for choosing this piece!

07. Animisha - Gefuhl der Wehmuth
I didn't know this piece, but I have a feeling that you nailed it.

08. sinophilia - German Dance D783 no. 5
Very danceable! I'm working my way through D783 as well, so I fully appreciate how difficult these dances can be (especially the left hand jumps).

09. Claudemir Medeiros - Schumann op 68 n 30
Again a work I didn't know. You played it with a very gentle touch, which felt right to me.

10. Sandalholme - Lyric pieces Op12 Nos 4 - 7
Delightful! Thanks for choosing Grieg; he gets played far too little.

11. zsolpyW - Hexameron variation no.6
That piece was new to me. I liked your control over the dynamics a lot.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 1
Elegant playing, wonderful trills!

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - On The Lake (Op. 77, No. 12)
Smooth and pleasant!

16. Kalos Piano - Turkish March
Highly enjoyable. You've got fast fingers, and they really got a work-out there. I can understand the emphasis on the last chord! smile

18. timmyab - Moments Musicaux no 4
Very sure playing; I'm certainly impressed. Liked the two last parts best.

19. facdo - Clair de Lune
Beautiful. I hope to be able to play it that well one day.

21. Moo smile - Brahms Intermezzo B flat minor Opus 117-2
You kept that difficult work, previously unknown to me, admirably together. Nice hand crossing!

22. cmb13 - Craig - Nocturne 20, C# min
That was really nice to listen to, played with a very gentle touch. And the piano sounds bigger than it looks; great sound!

23. JoBert - Einsame Blumen (from Waldszenen, Opus 82)
It flowed so nice and peacefully. Good control of the dynamics. As for the title, I think what you might be looking for is "Solitary flowers".

24. Purrblast - Minuet in g minor (BWV 842)
You made Bach sound good. I consider that a real achievement. smile It felt flawless to me.

27. Jason Lenthe - Granada
Didn't know this one at all, but I was impressed by your right hand agility and precision in the occasionally explosive moves.

29. RosemaryGirl - "Humming Song" (Liedchen No 3, Op.68)
I think that was a virtually flawless performance.

30. Tim Adrianson - Prelude
Never heard of either composer or composition before. What I can say is that you clearly demonstrated confident dynamic control.

31. Sam S - Piano Sonata 12 - first movement
One of my favourite sonata movements of all time. Wonderful performance, great listening experience.

33. dumka1 - Song without Words, Op. 62, No. 6 ("Spring Song")
You played it with an air of happy, tranquil not-a-care-in-the-world, and I think that is exactly in the spirit of that song.

35. lyricmudra - Vocalise Op. 34 No. 14
Very impressive playing, both technically and musically.

37. AssociateX (Liz) - Schubert-Moments Musicaux 3
Awesome performance given so short practice time.

40. Greywullf - Chopin Nocturne in F minor Op. 55 N. 1
Nicely flowing performance. Enviable precision in the loud left hand octaves.

41. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Intermezzo in A major Op 118 No 2
Lovely piece, and lovely rendition. Great coherence.

42. thepianoplayer416 - Sarabande from Keyboard Suite in D minor HWV437
Well played, and great to hear some Händel in this world that generally neglects him in favour of Bach.

45. Ganddalf - Rondo, third movement from Sonata Op.14.1
Really liked that; great performance. You've got nimble fingers.

47. Micael K - Bransle de Bourgogne
Never heard that one before. Very quirky, but your rendition sounds very right.

49. Piano_primo_1 - BWV 512 JS BACH
I'm no Bach-expert, but it sounded to me as if you captured the spirit of the piece really well.

50. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.55 No.1, 1st mvmt
You do this for a living, right? If not, you should consider it.

51. akc42/Alan Chandler - Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2
Delightful and very controlled performance.

52. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Signore ascolta, Puccini Turandot
Interesting choice: a transcription from an opera. I imagine that must be rather difficult, but the sense of drama came through, particularly towards the end.

53. squidbot - Sonata in G Major ("Easy Sonata")
Impressive undertaking; Beethoven is always hard, and I think you pulled it off very well.

54. lvojnovic - Dance (Dances of the Dolls n.7)
Didn't know that one, but my gut feeling tells me that you nailed the spirit of the piece exactly.

56. Sam Rose - Prelude in C# Minor
Brilliant! Very virtuosic.

57. Pathbreaker - Nocturne Op. 84 no. 8
Very well played; lovely performance.

58. stumbler / Dave - Miss H. Wauchope's Favorite
Very interesting; it sounded quite modern.

59. Ralphiano - Sull' Aria
Very pleasant, and a nice subtle touch.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28, Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818514
02/21/19 06:41 PM
02/21/19 06:41 PM
K
Kalos Piano Offline
Kalos Piano  Offline
K

Thank you all for the very nice posts on my piece!

Here's bunch of comments by me:

02. MarieJ - Gymnopedie No.2
you wrote "I seem destined never to submit a faultless performance". Well, this seems quite freakin' close to faultless to me wink

03. EdmondRhapsody - Air on the G String
had never heard this arrangement before, sounds beautiful and not as complicated as other ones, so I might give it a shot! Beautifully played btw!

07. Animisha - Gefuhl der Wehmuth
shortest piece in th whole recital, I guess? smile I think Turk is an excellent source of exercises.

08. sinophilia - German Dance D783 no. 5
very good work, it does look complicated notwithstanding its short duration

09. Claudemir Medeiros - Schumann op 68 n 30
one of the best pieces from the Album For The Young. Couldn't spot any flaws. Nicely done!

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - On The Lake (Op. 77, No. 12)
didn't know this. Dreamy and relaxing, loved it.

15. Riddler (Ed) - Naima
very good! Made me want to go listen to Coltrane's original version.

19. facdo - Clair de Lune
classic piece, great performance.

20. Jazztpt - The Road To Where
nice composition, can totally see it being played in a classy restaurant smile

22. cmb13 - Craig - Nocturne 20, C# min
I guess there's still margin for improvement, like on the trills and the faster parts at the end, but it's a complicated piece and it's already a very pleasant listen, I'm sure you'll manage to perfect it soon.

23. JoBert - Einsame Blumen (from Waldszenen, Opus 82)
I don't listen often to Waldszenen but it's actually got some very nice material in it. I really enjoyed your performance.

24. Purrblast - Minuet in g minor (BWV 842)
didn't know this one, sounded very nice.

26. Monica K. - Stella del Mattino
I see the speed of the piece didn't stop you from making an excellent recording smile

27. Jason Lenthe - Granada
always love me some Albeniz! I guess there could be some polishing on the pedalling, but overall very enjoyable performance.

28. RogerRL - Preludio - Suite del Plata No. 1
I confirm, sounds great also on the piano wink

29. RosemaryGirl - "Humming Song" (Liedchen No 3, Op.68)
I feel like the main melody could stick out a little bit more and that the performance would benefit from some rubato in order to avoid it sounding too "mechanical", but good work overall!

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818605
02/22/19 12:48 AM
02/22/19 12:48 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Online content

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
Qwerty53  Online Content

Salish Sea
Finally have had a chance to listen. I’ll start with some of the later pieces and then work my way up the list. I didn’t manage to get anything recorded for this recital (I was close! and the effort was worthwhile), but hope to participate again next time. Thanks to everyone who shared their music!

50. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.55 No.1, 1st mvmt A spritely piece played with impressive clarity; I can’t imagine how it could be better. And what a beautiful piano!

51. akc42/Alan Chandler - Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2 More Chopin, how beautiful! Good attention to dynamics; makes it even more beautiful.

52. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Signore ascolta, Puccini Turandot So nice to hear some opera!

53. squidbot - Sonata in G Major ("Easy Sonata") It may have an “easy” label on it but it is still Beethoven! Very impressive for less than 3 years of playing. Nice work keeping it going; may you enjoy more of those “golden” moments! Maybe play it if we manage a Puget Sound piano party?

54. lvojnovic - Dance (Dances of the Dolls n.7) We don’t get to hear Shostakovich as often; thanks for this! Your playing made me see the dancing dolls!

55. noobpianist90 - Divenire Interesting, spooky piece, nicely played. I think the strings really add to this (even though I don’t usually like a lot of “electronic” add-ons). I can see why you like this piece.

56. Sam Rose - Prelude in C# Minor Loved reading your introduction to this piece; wotta piano! wotta piece! It sounded great. Glad you shared your playing.

57. Pathbreaker - Nocturne Op. 84 no. 8 Oh, this is gorgeous! I don’t think I’d ever heard it before. You played it beautifully.

58. stumbler / Dave - Miss H. Wauchope's Favorite Bringing in a fiddle tune, very inventive! It has a wistful sound. Lovely to hear.

59. Ralphiano - Sull' Aria A bit more opera: glad you made it in under the wire! It’s a lovely piece with which to conclude the recital.

”Mister Upright,” Yamaha YUS5.
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818606
02/22/19 12:50 AM
02/22/19 12:50 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Online content

Qwerty53  Online Content

Salish Sea
And some more . . .

40. Greywullf - Chopin Nocturne in F minor Op. 55 N. 1 Played with focus and feeling. Love the sound of your 109-year-old piano. What does your 3-year-old audience think of Chopin?

41. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Intermezzo in A major Op 118 No 2 Simply beautiful to listen to this. It’s a piece that is on my “someday” list. Thanks for sharing this “darkish beauty” as you aptly describe it.

42. thepianoplayer416 - Sarabande from Keyboard Suite in D minor HWV437 Nice playing! I don’t think your recording methods do you justice.

43. newbert - Misty Glad to hear a jazz standard in the mix! Sounds great.

44. jotur/Cathy Turnr - White Christmas Nice arrangement of this piece, nicely played! A little Christmas in February can make anyone smile.

45. Ganddalf - Rondo, third movement from Sonata Op.14.1 I loved hearing this! Glad your ambition stretches to Beethoven sonatas, and that you bring this to share in the “adult beginners” forum. It is encouraging for people like me who are much closer to the “beginner” end of the spectrum.

46. Piano2138 - In the Spirit Hmm I think I will have to explore Christopher Norton a bit! A cheerful piece that you played with wonderful spirit.

47. Micael K - Bransle de Bourgogne What an odd and interesting piece! It almost sounds like harpsichord in some places. It makes me imagine a movie scene with people moving around in fancy clothes in their castles, preparing for a dance, or perhaps a regicide.

48. CebuKid (Herb) - The Lonely Man, Theme from Incredible Hulk I was not familiar with this piece but you drew the picture so well with your description and your playing, not to mention Mr. Hulk there on the music desk. I think he will be consoled by your playing!

49. Piano_primo_1 - BWV 512 JS BACH Oh, that fellow Bach! I don’t think there is such a thing as “beginner” Bach or “easy” Bach! It only seems easy when someone else plays it well. You did a very nice job with this!

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818614
02/22/19 02:42 AM
02/22/19 02:42 AM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Online content

Qwerty53  Online Content

Salish Sea
One more set of responses; more tomorrow!

30. Tim Adrianson - Prelude Thanks for this beautiful introduction to the work of George Walker.

31. Sam S - Piano Sonata 12 - first movement Can’t go wrong with Beethoven; a great choice, and a challenge that is sounding great. I listened twice! Very impressive that you played this all from memory. Your description of the 3d variation make me laugh!

32. Handyman - Return to the Heart I was not familiar with this composer; thanks for the introduction! Nicely played!

33. dumka1 - Song without Words, Op. 62, No. 6 ("Spring Song") I didn’t think I would know this piece, but when I listened to your recording, it came back to me: the main theme was used to suggest innocence, and maybe an innocent flirtation, in Saturday morning cartoons when I was a kid (in the middle of the last century)! Nicely played, and I liked hearing the dog!

34. Dmitry Balezin - Requiem for a dream I’m not familiar with this music but I admire the energy with which you play it. I especially liked your use of dynamics toward the end, to bring out the drama.

35. lyricmudra - Vocalise Op. 34 No. 14 Oh, this is beautiful! Another piece to add to my “someday” list. Beautifully played. I appreciated your notes about the piece, its challenges and its meaning for you.

36. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kind im Einschlummern Your love for this piece comes through in the way you play it. It’s going to make me go look at my Schumann album again.

37. AssociateX (Liz) - Schubert-Moments Musicaux 3 If it’s this good after just 3 weeks, wow! I think you and your piano deserve some serious recording gear!

38. Serge88 - Something I remember just loving this song back in my teenage years (when it was, ahem, new...). Nice arrangement, beautifully played. I admire your focus!

39. Mosotti - Canon Fantasy A lovely and delicate piece, beautifully played. I hope you all got over your colds! Hearing this would make me feel better.

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Qwerty53] #2818720
02/22/19 09:38 AM
02/22/19 09:38 AM
D
dumka1 Offline
dumka1  Offline
D

Originally Posted by Qwerty53

33. dumka1 - Song without Words, Op. 62, No. 6 ("Spring Song") I didn’t think I would know this piece, but when I listened to your recording, it came back to me: the main theme was used to suggest innocence, and maybe an innocent flirtation, in Saturday morning cartoons when I was a kid (in the middle of the last century)! Nicely played, and I liked hearing the dog!

Thanks! I guess this is why this tune is so well-known to many of you but wasn't to me, as I grew up watching Soviet cartoons smile

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2818736
02/22/19 10:07 AM
02/22/19 10:07 AM
Queensland, Australia
PikaPianist Offline
PikaPianist  Offline

Queensland, Australia
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

50. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.55 No.1, 1st mvmt
You do this for a living, right? If not, you should consider it.

My piano playing is my hobby only. I wouldn't even know where to begin to turn this into a living. But thank you for the kind words!

"Without music, life would Bb."

Piano: Estonia L210 (2018)
VST: VI Labs Ravenscroft
My channel: www.youtube.com/c/MXChan
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818745
02/22/19 10:28 AM
02/22/19 10:28 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
My next batch of totally random comments...

40. Greywullf - Chopin Nocturne in F minor Op. 55 N. 1 You don't have to bribe me with fruit snacks to stay quiet while you play! Loved the mood swing into the middle section and back - well done!

23. JoBert - Einsame Blumen (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) I think you fit your playing to your description of how you envision the piece perfectly. Excellent!

27. Jason Lenthe - Granada You definitely have a feel for this - I can hear guitars strumming and women dancing!

29. RosemaryGirl - "Humming Song" (Liedchen No 3, Op.68) I'm humming along!

42. thepianoplayer416 - Sarabande from Keyboard Suite in D minor HWV437 I love that piece - nicely done!

30. Tim Adrianson - Prelude I have never heard of George Walker - thanks for introducing me to him. It does sound a little like Copeland with the open voiced chords. Well done!

33. dumka1 - Song without Words, Op. 62, No. 6 ("Spring Song") Yes, those of us in the US can't hear this without thinking of cartoons - its been used over and over, sometimes hilariously. I agree it is harder than it sounds or looks. Thanks for the laugh! The dog at the end was a nice touch in keeping with the cartoon memories!

52. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Signore ascolta, Puccini Turandot Mile, I always look forward to hearing a little opera from you. Thanks!

36. QuasiUnaFantasia - Kind im Einschlummern Very delicate and sensitive!

50. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.55 No.1, 1st mvmt You play with such confidence! Piano looks and sounds great!

57. Pathbreaker - Nocturne Op. 84 no. 8 I don't think I have ever heard this. Thanks for playing it - lovely!

41. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Intermezzo in A major Op 118 No 2 I'm with you on the futile attempt to get a perfect recording (or even a not-so-perfect recording). But this is wonderful - so many nice moments!

45. Ganddalf - Rondo, third movement from Sonata Op.14.1 Well done Gandalf! I agree about Beethoven - I'm working on op. 26 now and hope to learn the whole thing, but the later sonatas are beyond me, and probably always will be.

47. Micael K - Bransle de Bourgogne I like it! I love something different and unique!

49. Piano_primo_1 - BWV 512 JS BACH Give up the search for perfection - not going to happen (for me anyway). This sounded great, well done!

51. akc42/Alan Chandler - Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2 One of my favorites - its coming along - loved your rubato.

54. lvojnovic - Dance (Dances of the Dolls n.7) Sounds like a music box. Loved it!

53. squidbot - Sonata in G Major ("Easy Sonata") Its coming along! some tempo fluctuations, I think. But the recording definitely helps. Some very nice things here. Well done!

56. Sam Rose - Prelude in C# Minor Welcome back! This is excellent - and very dramatic.

Thanks for the great listening!

Sam

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818761
02/22/19 10:58 AM
02/22/19 10:58 AM
Maine
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maine
16. Kalos Piano- Great playing. It's a fun piece and you really captured that.

34. Dmitry Balzin- Kind of a dark and brooding piece. I really like it. Well done.

36. QuasiUnaFantasia- I agree, a really pretty piece. You captured it's gentle quality in your playing.

41. SMA55-- Damn...that was good. What to say... just wonderful playing.

"Nothing moves...where would it go?"
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818774
02/22/19 11:27 AM
02/22/19 11:27 AM
S
SMA55 Online content
SMA55  Online Content
S

45. Ganddalf - Rondo, third movement from Sonata Op.14.1
Yes, that is quite the challenging piece you’ve taken on. But I think you’ve done very good work with it. Well done!

46. Piano2138 - In the Spirit
Very cleanly and confidently played. Good job!

47. Micael K - Bransle de Bourgogne
Hate to repeat myself, but this is another piece that was very cleanly and confidently played. Nice!

48. CebuKid (Herb) - The Lonely Man, Theme from Incredible Hulk
I’m with you, Herb. I very well remember this piece that they played at the end of every episode of “The Incredible Hulk” TV series. I also remember as a youngster my occasionally going to the piano after some episodes to play by ear what I could remember of what I had just heard. It’s a very pretty—and indeed lonely sounding—little piece. Really nice job you did with it!

Really fine performance, Sam! I didn’t necessarily agree with all of the musical choices you made in it, but that’s just a matter of personal preference. Good technique throughout. Well done!

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818910
02/22/19 04:25 PM
02/22/19 04:25 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
32. Handyman - Return to the Heart
To me, this piece sounds like an excellent theme song for a good movie. I am not familiar with Lanz's music, so thanks for contributing this. Well done.

35. lyricmudra - Vocalise Op. 34 No. 14
A heartbreakingly beautiful rendition of a masterpiece. Great job of bringing out the melody. You somehow managed to play the piano in a way that brings out a vocal quality.

38. Serge88 - Something
Brings back memories! Well done. BTW, nice setup.

43. newbert - Misty
I'm not familiar with the Sudnow method, but is it obviously serving you well. Love those chord changes, very provocative. Well done.

44. jotur/Cathy Turnr - White Christmas
Nice work, Cathy, a timeless favorite. I was not familiar with the verse part but it is quite appealing. I was a bit late with my Christmas piece, too - - so I submitted it for the January piano bar. Christmas music is always in season for me!

49. Piano_primo_1 - BWV 512 JS BACH
You've got the hand independence thing going nicely. Very musical. Well done.

51. akc42/Alan Chandler - Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2
When I was a little kid (1940s) it seemed like everyone in my world was working on this piece, so I heard it often and learned to play something vaguely similar to it by ear. It is always a delight to hear the real thing! Well done.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818922
02/22/19 04:58 PM
02/22/19 04:58 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
23 Jobert

Lovely! Most unlike his more dynamic pieces, but the magic's there. Nice work.

24 Purrblast

Steady, precise playing, and very nice on the ear. You passed!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818952
02/22/19 06:24 PM
02/22/19 06:24 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida

54. lvojnovic - Dance (Dances of the Dolls n.7)
A charming and delicate piece, played charmingly and delicately. Well done.

Beautiful! I played a kiddie version of this when I was a kid and have always loved the piece. I thought you handled the dynamics wonderfully. I never noticed it before, but the ending of this piece is somewhat similar to the beginning of Rach 2 - i.e., low note, upper chord, repeat with slightly different chord, and so on. Hmm.

57. Pathbreaker - Nocturne Op. 84 no. 8
Beautiful piece, wonderful playing. You bring out the various voices exceptionally well. It is perhaps an indication of the complexity of the piece that I was constantly wondering which hand was playing a given part. Well done.

59. Ralphiano - Sull' Aria
Well done, quite listenable. Excellent job on those turns, you managed to play them quite fast.

Ed

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: Riddler] #2818957
02/22/19 06:36 PM
02/22/19 06:36 PM
Hershey, PA, USA
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Riddler
32. Handyman - Return to the Heart
To me, this piece sounds like an excellent theme song for a good movie...
Ed

Thanks Ed. I agree, but good luck finding a good movie! Maybe something by Nicholas Sparks?
Maybe not...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2818960
02/22/19 06:50 PM
02/22/19 06:50 PM
Florida
R
Riddler Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Riddler  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Florida
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

15. Riddler (Ed) - Naima Nice job with this dreamy piece Riddler -my 'noodler' buddy! I especially loved the dramatic chord progressions played at 1:18, 1:36, and again at 2:18. I could listen to that all night. Well done....

Interestingly, I have always loved that progression too, and it's one of the parts that motivated me to transpose it to the key of C.

In C, the chords are: Eb dominant 13#11 over G pedal, Db dominant 13#11 over G pedal, C Major 7 over G pedal.

Ed

Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2818965
02/22/19 07:04 PM
02/22/19 07:04 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
25 Ralph L

Splendid! Love the accompaniment on piano. You haven't been doin' this long, so , , , look forwards to more. You've obviously taken this further than me; I used a DGX for everything. But it could well be worth looking into your methods. Well done.

26 Monica K

I liked this. Pleasant, heart warming stuff on that nice piano of yours. Nice tempo, light and shade. Babbled along like a river in spate. Nicely done.

27 Jason Lenthe

That sounded like hard work on the left hand to begin with. But the tune develops nicely, with great trills and stuff. Excellent dynamics and very powerful in places, its a lovely piece and you did a fine job.

28 RogerRL

This is obviously nice for piano as well as guitar, and sounds gorgeous on those deep notes you play.

29 Rosemary Girl

Love Schumann's work. This is fluent; you are making rapid progress and have much to look forward to. Keep it coming!

30 Tim Adrianson

Sounds like a really nice piece of work, well played. European, almost Russian flavour, surely?

Very nice indeed, guys. More pending.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2819006
02/22/19 08:32 PM
02/22/19 08:32 PM
Queensland Australia
MarieJ Offline
Gold Subscriber
MarieJ  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Queensland Australia
50. PikaPianist - Sonatina Op.55 No.1, 1st mvmt Fabulous control and so expressive - that was absolutely gorgeous!

51. akc42/Alan Chandler - Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2 The odd hesitation didn’t detract from a really good performance. You’re well on the way to where you want to be!

52. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Signore ascolta, Puccini Turandot Some very pretty parts in this unfamiliar work, it seemed to have a touch of mystery. Nicely done!

53. squidbot - Sonata in G Major ("Easy Sonata") ‘Easy’? Who says! Long runs, fast pace, and that’s just for starters. And then recorded in one take - great performance (and yes, I’d look forward to an update next recital)!

54. lvojnovic - Dance (Dances of the Dolls n.7) What a bright and catchy little piece - well played!

55. noobpianist90 - Divenire I’ve attempted this favourite so I know that your handling of this challenging work was truly excellent - congratulations! The strings added a nice touch. (I noticed it’s the first Einaudi piece you’ve submitted - I’m hopeful there will be more in coming Recitals. smile )

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]XXXVIII-LV

My C3 - solace.
Re: Recital 53 --- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2819038
02/22/19 09:42 PM
02/22/19 09:42 PM
Salish Sea
Qwerty53 Online content

Qwerty53  Online Content

Salish Sea
More! I’m really enjoying all this wonderful variety of music!

20. Jazztpt - The Road To Where I like this a lot; sweet sounds, nice feel, beautiful playing.

21. Moo smile - Brahms Intermezzo B flat minor Opus 117-2 This is really lovely. I especially liked the dramatic lead-in to the ending.

22. cmb13 - Craig - Nocturne 20, C# min Soulful piece, soulfully played. And from memory! Beautiful. Imagine how it will sound on that new piano!

23. JoBert - Einsame Blumen (from Waldszenen, Opus 82) Loved the way you portrayed the scene in the woods, in words and even more eloquently in music. Maybe translate as “Solitary Flowers”?

24. Purrblast - Minuet in g minor (BWV 842) Great job with your Bach piece, especially after less than a year of playing!

25. Ralph L - still loving you A one-man band: what a change from the Bach that preceded your piece! Good job, fun to listen to!

26. Monica K. - Stella del Mattino This sounds beautiful on your piano. I can hear how much you like playing this. Nice command of dynamics to bring out the drama.

27. Jason Lenthe - Granada I love this music and you did a wonderful job with it.

28. RogerRL - Preludio - Suite del Plata No. 1 This is gorgeous and what a treat to have music “imported” to the piano from another instrument. Bravo!

29. RosemaryGirl - "Humming Song" (Liedchen No 3, Op.68) This is amazing for just a few months of playing! A great start in the recitals.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Heintzman & Co. project opinion
by D.P.. 10/15/19 05:56 PM
Playing by ear
by KuroMisaka. 10/15/19 02:47 PM
Why I’m convinced a good teacher is ESSENTIAL
by WeakLeftHand. 10/15/19 02:40 PM
A question for sight readers
by hag01. 10/15/19 10:36 AM
Help me choose my next DP
by idfpiano. 10/15/19 10:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,537
Posts2,879,486
Members94,679
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission