Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Abdol, BeeZee4, albydooby, Apache, Beowulf, Animisha, ADWyatt, AprilE, 11 invisible), 967 guests, and 497 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 63 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 62 63
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2817616 02/19/19 06:26 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
TS, Oh I love the sound. I just suck at the mechanics of it. The Fiesta piece I mentioned above along with the intro to Fur Elise have pretty much gotten me over it. I still groan when I see a lot of it in a new piece and breathe a sigh of relief to do a baroque little piece because they don't have it even though I'm not overly fond of baroque in general.

Chili Time, Congratulations on advancing to a new level. New pieces and shiny new books, it's starting school without the bullies!

but think how good I could be in five years...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2817642 02/19/19 07:25 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
Thanks Holly. I think I'lll be in book 3 a long time which is okay. I just enjoy playing the piano and things have gotten really interesting. I know it's easy stuff for long time players but it is fun and exciting to be playing the things I can play now.

The pedal work has been something I stuggle with. It is hard but it does sound really good when you finally get it right. My teacher has helped me a lot with the pedal.

Good luck and best wishes to everyone on their Piano journey in 2019.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115. I play a little bass guitar also.
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2817791 02/20/19 07:07 AM
T
TryAnotherName Offline
T
Congrats on the beginning of book 3... very cool to hear that "things have gotten really interesting"... I'm finding the end of book 1 AIO a fun ride too.

Fun with one current exception... I just hit the intro to the "lead sheet" concept and absolutely can't warm up to it. My teacher explained that he uses lead sheets all the time when he gigs and of course he can embellish and improvise at will. OK, clearly I won't be gigging on a piano. Beyond that, I can see that using lead sheets offers a decent chance to apply some of the chord theory being introduced in AIO and so I am dutifully learning the exercise piece for that reason.

Are there any other redeeming aspects of applying the lead sheet principle that could spare me from never wanting to hear "Home, home on the range..." ever again?

Half (but only half) in jest... HAAAALP!

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2817803 02/20/19 07:35 AM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
I'm interested in learning to play lead sheeets better because I would like to be able to quickly read and learn the melody in the right and play chords with the left in order to open up the ability to play a lot of songs decenntly with minimal practice investment. You know just easy versions of Eagles, Beatles, etc. Just seems like a fun way to play along to a singer or backing track. I may feel differently after a bit more exploration.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 02/20/19 07:36 AM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115. I play a little bass guitar also.
[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2817835 02/20/19 09:10 AM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
Lead sheets have such a rock and roll image, but recently my 82 year old mother began to play again after more than a decade of hardly touching a piano and several more decades of only playing at Christmas, and needed some sheet music. This a woman who played Chopin by memory all my childhood so my sister got her some music a couple of levels below that, but still far above what we siblings can play.

Our mother gave it a go for a few days then complained her eyesight made it too difficult to read ahead rapidly so could we get her something simpler because she could add "chords and embelishments myself" to make it sound good.

Oh, to be that gifted...

Except she isn't gifted, she worked hard in her twenties to learn chords and bass playing by method and technique and now 60 years later she can apply that theory to any sheet music you put in front of her.

There might be a point to those applied theory lessons in Faber after all...

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2817949 02/20/19 12:35 PM
T
TryAnotherName Offline
T
That's a nice story, Holly! I'm just thinking, if I could get to that point (have 15 years to get there :-) I'd be able to use all of my violin music and create two handed piano arrangements. Sort of kidding, but just sort of.

I actually really enjoy the theory sections in AIO and the extra tidbits my teacher adds. All interesting (and mostly instantly applicable) eye openers. I'll keep working on that first lead sheet. Maybe when I get to where I can execute it with confidence, I can then start breaking up the chords and having more fun with it.

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2818194 02/20/19 10:05 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
From the journey through Faber 2 Adult AIO:

Just finished up Fiesta Espana and Sea Chanty

This week starting Musetta's Waltz and the last piece in the book, Pachelbel's Canon, arr. in C major.

Today I did the prep work of listening while reading the score, marking accidentals, writing in timing on the tricky measures, etc. and clapped through counting aloud. Ready to begin real practice tomorrow.

I have my fingers crossed I'll get through before the end of March. I've got a week out of town without access to a piano in that time and the Canon is 4 pages. FOUR. I've got it divided into 5 sections from the first listen through. If those hold up to the first day of practicing that's going to be a doosy to try to practice all 5 every day. May have to do 2 one day and 3 on alternating days, at least until I get through to playing through the piece. Then I may do 1st two pages and 2nd two pages. We'll have to see.

Musetta's Waltz is Pucchini, whom I adore, so I'm quite looking forward to that one and will mostly have to watch tempo and not engage my "listening to the music" preference over "work the mechanics" necessity of practice.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2818196 02/20/19 10:08 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
TryAnotherName,

I'd have palpitations just thinking about transposing from one instrument to another, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. And, hey, if the process of getting there is a joy? Go for it!

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: HollyBytheLake] #2818277 02/21/19 07:12 AM
T
TryAnotherName Offline
T
Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake
TryAnotherName,

I'd have palpitations just thinking about transposing from one instrument to another, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. And, hey, if the process of getting there is a joy? Go for it!

ha, ha, you're overestimating my ambition there, Holly! Even if I was half joking... about years ahead. Plus violin music is written in the treble key so no transposing necessary for the right hand. I'm guessing that transposing would bring other complications I can't even imagine at this point. Certainly not in my AIO book 1 curriculum :-)

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2821037 02/28/19 09:59 AM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
Okay, Faber-peeps, what are you working on this week?

I've started last two pieces in 2A AIO, Musetta's Waltz and Pachebel's Canon.

I'm going to be repeating that sentence for a while.

Musetta is one of my favorite pieces so I'm having trouble settling down to work it in sections, I want to play it through over and over, however slowly, because it's lovely.

Pachebel is four freaking pages and I'm asking the more experienced players on another thread for advice on working each section until I'm happy with it then moving on or working each section equally so that it arrives at a finished point in total.

What's everyone else up to?

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2821426 03/01/19 09:51 AM
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Im glad to see your progress Chilitime, you have a great attitude and will do well in 3,

Im about thru with the 3rd unit with Londonderry Air. Im still practicing the pedal often as well. I took a que from Holly and started to document practice for the first time during Feb. I think that is going to be helpful tho i didnt to start with.

On a side note, i read the Chang book and like all the others, read it and take whats helpful. Spoiler, it isnt magic as none of the methods are.. Ive come to see that piano method authors are like BBQ cooks here in the south, theirs is the best and the rest are wrong. I hope you all are doing well.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2821513 03/01/19 01:11 PM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
Holly - Four Pages is twice as long compared to what I’ve encountered in method books so far! That piece is one of my and I think it is in the Faber books for me down the road somewhere but not sure what level.

With my teacher’s blessing I’m taking a short break from Faber to work on some pieces from “The Easy Fake Book”. Since I began lessons I’ve been looking forward to the day I was ready to play from chord charts/Lead Sheets/Fake Books. This is a concept touched on in the Faber Theory book 2 so it’s a good time to focus a bit on this topic for easy arrangements. I pick a song and figure out the left hand. Then at the lesson my teacher shows me options to consider and of course her ideas always sound good and sometimes are easier to play. I’m finally at a level where easy Fake Book pieces in C are doable so I’m going to spend maybe 2 weeks or so here and then start Faber 3 and do some Fake Book songs on the side for fun.

On a side note, i read the Chang book and like all the others, read it and take whats helpful. Spoiler, it isnt magic as none of the methods are.. Ive come to see that piano method authors are like BBQ cooks here in the south, theirs is the best and the rest are wrong. I hope you all are doing well.
laugh LOL

Last edited by Chili_Time; 03/01/19 01:11 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2821515 03/01/19 01:23 PM
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
H
That's awesome Chili-Time! Have fun with your lead sheets. They make me hyperventilate slightly. As I've moved through faber 2 AIO each applied theory lesson has progressively demanded more left hand work from just the name of the chord. Hardest part of my practice regimen, hands down.

Dobro, tell us more, if you have the time, of this Chang book of which you speak.

As a Southerner who had a pig pickin' BBQ every Thanksgiving instead of a turkey, I laughed hard enough to snort at your analogy. Well done.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2821875 03/02/19 11:04 AM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
My right hand is making good progress but the left hand is frustrating me on Unchained Melody. Such a beautiful song though I can't stop trying. If I ever get my left hand to cooperate I want to record that beautiful arpeggio on the strings setting and then layer the piano fake book on top of it.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

EDIT: Oh wow... the comments section of the youtube video is a running testimony to the power of music.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 03/02/19 11:12 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2822085 03/02/19 05:54 PM
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Holly, the Chang book is interesting read. Its a bit much on words and opinions but there are some good points. Alot on Parallel Sets and im still not sure on what that is. The book has sparked alot of conversationn thru the years on here and other places. There is alot of what you already know about breaking things down, HS HT, etc.

Chili_Time, im getting into the lead sheets that are in book 2. It is interesting and with all of the voices to play with i guess a challenge as well. That Country Method book that im doing has alot of lead sheets and a great study on inversions.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Chili_Time] #2822105 03/02/19 06:53 PM
P
pwl Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
EDIT: Oh wow... the comments section of the youtube video is a running testimony to the power of music.

I found this comment to be VERY true: (CAUTION) if you're scrolling through the comments you will cry.

Re: Faber Graduates [Re: HollyBytheLake] #2822629 03/04/19 06:23 AM
tbonesays Offline
Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake
From the journey through Faber 2 Adult AIO:

Just finished up Fiesta Espana and Sea Chanty

This week starting Musetta's Waltz and the last piece in the book, Pachelbel's Canon, arr. in C major.

Today I did the prep work of listening while reading the score, marking accidentals, writing in timing on the tricky measures, etc. and clapped through counting aloud. Ready to begin real practice tomorrow.

I have my fingers crossed I'll get through before the end of March. I've got a week out of town without access to a piano in that time and the Canon is 4 pages. FOUR. I've got it divided into 5 sections from the first listen through. If those hold up to the first day of practicing that's going to be a doosy to try to practice all 5 every day. May have to do 2 one day and 3 on alternating days, at least until I get through to playing through the piece. Then I may do 1st two pages and 2nd two pages. We'll have to see.

Musetta's Waltz is Pucchini, whom I adore, so I'm quite looking forward to that one and will mostly have to watch tempo and not engage my "listening to the music" preference over "work the mechanics" necessity of practice.

Of all the Faber compositions Fiesta stayed with me the most. It is even more fun if you have a digital that can voice a trumpet or Spanish guitar. I did not do anything special for that version of Pacabell, other than Xerox the pages so they are all visible at once.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2823269 03/06/19 08:18 AM
C
Chili_Time Offline
C
Fiesta was not in the version of Faber I was in. frown We did have a nice Spanish piece Malaguena but that was early in book 2 so if Fiesta is at the end it is likely much harder and sounds better. Maybe there will be a version of it in the Faber books going forward.

My Fake Book progress is slow but steady. I am hoping this will be like the Bastien easy hymn book where the first pieces took weeks but then they start to come along after a week and then after couple of days. It is supposed to be an 'easy' Fake book and I'm looking forward to the day it actually is easy. All the songs are in C so once I get used to switching chords in the left things should pick up. The melodies are a bit trickier than hymns and the songs have more measures with more hand movement and the scores are more complicated with codas and dc al fine and such, so they are good reading practice. I still like that Bastien book though... hymns are little 16 to 20 bar exercises that just sound really good.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 03/06/19 08:19 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: Chili_Time] #2823591 03/07/19 03:02 AM
tbonesays Offline
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Fiesta was not in the version of Faber I was in. frown We did have a nice Spanish piece Malaguena but that was early in book 2 so if Fiesta is at the end it is likely much harder and sounds better. Maybe there will be a version of it in the Faber books going forward.

Fiesta Espana is in 3B but I prefer the slightly more noted one in Adult Adventures 2.

I also greatly enjoy Mrs Faber's smoothly flowing pieces such as Snowfall and Aurora Borealis.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
Re: Faber Graduates [Re: BrianDX] #2825115 03/10/19 09:57 PM
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ive moved into unit 4 which is a good chord study. Ive got everything in 3 under the fingers and went ahead with the Bflat maj scale in both hands since i played in F for that chapter. Im into the opening measures of "Malaguena" but only spent a few minutes with it so far. Im keeping up with 2 hrs a day of practfee. I do it in 2-3 sessions and its been comfortable. Have a good week.

Alesis Coda Pro
Page 52 of 63 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 62 63

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A funny thing happened on the way to ASIO
by MacMacMac - 12/12/19 09:31 PM
books for learning harmony?
by Álvaro - 12/12/19 04:48 PM
Adult beginner - digital piano recommendation
by finch42 - 12/12/19 03:22 PM
Demos of CVP 809
by tangothomas - 12/12/19 02:10 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,630
Posts2,901,130
Members95,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission