Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (akc42, anamnesis, AWilley, Animisha, arnobuyens, Apache, Anglagard44, Akaitsuki, Ankee, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 529 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: BruceD] #2815267 02/14/19 03:56 PM
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by GC13
You really should take a look at this video about this Steinway Model O Robert has @ living pianos -- just posted it today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2H1NKfzT6U

In his video there was nothing said about any work that Living Piano may have done on this piano; the exuberance was all for everything original. That claim wouldn't preclude Living Pianos from regulating and voicing the piano for sale, I am sure. But, I wonder, isn't the fallboard logo a modern logo? Surely that's not a logo from 112 years ago.

Regards,

Ah, you are correct BruceD on all points. It has had work at some level at least on that fallboard! But it does sound lovely in the recording. In person can be another matter.

Last edited by GC13; 02/14/19 03:56 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2815366 02/14/19 06:31 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Though I love the livingpiano videos, and I think he's made a lot of very informative material, a wise person on the forum once told me "I know Robert Estrin and he is a very excitable guy" laugh

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Chrispy] #2815385 02/14/19 07:25 PM
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by squidbot
Though I love the livingpiano videos, and I think he's made a lot of very informative material, a wise person on the forum once told me "I know Robert Estrin and he is a very excitable guy" laugh

He certainly has a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: BruceD] #2815391 02/14/19 07:34 PM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Have you investigated Lindeblad in New Jersey? You mentioned Mason & Hamlin. They have 11 of them right now along with the huge selection of Steinway piano. I just didn't see a Model BB in the list. The seem to have a good reputation, but I don't have any 1st hand knowledge.

Another resource might be Chupps Piano near South Bend, Indiana. I've personally visited his shop and he does excellent work. He has 1 M&H Piano listed on his website right now, but he may have more in the works. It's a BB - 7'.

https://www.chuppspianos.com/product-category/mason-hamlin/

Yes, I have looked at Linebald.. a long way away for us, though!! Chupps does look nice. Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations!

You really should take a look at this video about this Steinway Model O Robert has @ living pianos -- just posted it today.

Yes, that one looks and sounds fantastic, but as a grand piano newbie, I'm not sure about taking on an "all original" instrument that old....what happens after playing it 4 hours day for a year? Could it all the sudden need a full replacement of all action parts and the strings, too??

In his video there was nothing said about any work that Living Piano may have done on this piano; the exuberance was all for everything original. That claim wouldn't preclude Living Pianos from regulating and voicing the piano for sale, I am sure. But, I wonder, isn't the fallboard logo a modern logo? Surely that's not a logo from 112 years ago.

Regards,

Good pick-up! Thanks for all the great input!

Last edited by Beardog; 02/14/19 07:35 PM.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
1975 Yamaha Studio Upright
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Chrispy] #2815394 02/14/19 07:40 PM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by squidbot
The store you are visiting seems to have some reasonable inventory: http://internationalpianogallery.com/inventoryview.cfm?ItemTypeID=2

There are several listed there that have potential to be very nice. If you find one you like, I would highly recommend finding an independent piano technician to take a look at it.

There is one in the PTG index in Little Rock: https://www.ptg.org/scripts/4disapi...il&PersID_W=14745&MenuKey=Menu27

However, looking at the services offered (piano retailer) I wonder if he works at that store. Depending on who you ask, if they do employ an RPT, you could potentially forgo the outside piano tech if they offer full service and warranty, but you'll get a more honest assessment of the instrument if you bring along an independent third party. It's worth a few hundred dollars before spending tens of thousands, kind of like bringing a used car to an independent shop for a once over.

Also, it looks like there are a TON of options in Dallas, just a quick google search brings up 10 different stores and there are 19 registered piano technicians in the area. Given the huge amount of options and it looks like it's within your 300 mile range, if it were me I'd go there. Maybe someone on the forum has some experience shopping in Dallas?

Yes! That is my RPT. A very nice fellow! He does not work at International Gallery, and has never had any dealings with them. But, he told me they have been in business for a long time, and therefore must be doing things right. He does all the work for another family large store in Little Rock, but they only have one grand that we are going to play this weekend at that particular store.

Last edited by Beardog; 02/14/19 07:49 PM.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: BruceD] #2815455 02/14/19 11:25 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I can't advise you on what/whom to check in your area, but I do want to make one comment. The fact that you are planning to buy a piano for your wife and that you are including her in the search is the right thing to do.

Frequently I have read posts on Piano World in which a well-meaning non piano-playing husband wants to buy a piano for his wife, is seeking advice from members here but doesn't want his wife to know about it because he wants to surprise her! A great surprise, indeed, if she doesn't like the husband's choice.

As you seem to be well aware, the choice of a piano is a very personal thing, so going in search of that instrument with your wife is commendable.

Enjoy the search and let your wife try as many pianos as she can get her hands on, even brands she may think she isn't interested in.

P.S. Welcome to Piano World!

Regards,

I agree with you 110% about not surprising someone with a piano! Well intentioned people also buy piano music as a gift. I think that is the worst gift you can give a pianist unless the the pianist picked it out themselves. I was at the Julliard bookstore and overheard a customer asking the clerk what Chopin book was better. The clerk said this one has X number of pieces and is a better deal. Shame on them! They have no idea if the book includes original versions, quality of the binding, or if the pianist really wants Chopin at all.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2816359 02/16/19 08:31 PM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the good conversation since I last logged on.

My wife played between 40-50 grand pianos today. It was a great day.

We played several new brands, including Seiler, Hailun, Yamaha, Kawai, Pearl River, Boston, Steinway, Essex, and Ritmuller. We also played one completely rebuilt 1897 Bluthner, several refurbished American made Baldwins, and a small refurbished Fazioli. I am sure that I have forgotten a couple brands, off the top of my head. She played everything available except for the bottom tier instruments, without regard to price. I wanted her to find the sound and feel that she wanted, and then we could start narrowing our search.

She consistently liked every Steinway, from a weathered 1954 Model S through a $200,000.00 concert grand. I thought that she would like the Yamahas and Kawais, but none of them grabbed her, neither new or rebuilt. One of the top three for her was the Boston GP 178. I must admit that I was very much surprised by the Boston. I just expected a "me too" stencil piano, but it really was stellar. It was totally different from the Kawais. We are now going to narrow our search down to rebuilt/refurbished Steinways and the Boston GP 178. We already have several more scoped out within a few hundred miles to look at over the next week.

One take away from the day for us was that there is a very marked and noticeable difference between grands priced below $25K and those priced above $25K. I am referring to what they can actually be purchased for, not MSRP. To get the sound and quality that my wife likes, it is most likely going to cost me $25K-$35K, out the door, delivered, and setup in our home.

Last edited by Beardog; 02/16/19 08:34 PM.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2816367 02/16/19 09:02 PM
Carey Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beardog
Thanks for all the good conversation since I last logged on. My wife played between 40-50 grand pianos today. It was a great day. We played several new brands, including Seiler, Hailun, Yamaha, Kawai, Pearl River, Boston, Steinway, Essex, and Ritmuller. We also played one completely rebuilt 1897 Bluthner, several refurbished American made Baldwins, and a small refurbished Fazioli. I am sure that I have forgotten a couple brands, off the top of my head. She played everything available except for the bottom tier instruments, without regard to price. I wanted her to find the sound and feel that she wanted, and then we could start narrowing our search. She consistently liked every Steinway, from a weathered 1954 Model S through a $200,000.00 concert grand. I thought that she would like the Yamahas and Kawais, but none of them grabbed her, neither new or rebuilt. One of the top three for her was the Boston GP 178. I must admit that I was very much surprised by the Boston. I just expected a "me too" stencil piano, but it really was stellar. It was totally different from the Kawais. We are now going to narrow our search down to rebuilt/refurbished Steinways and the Boston GP 178. We already have several more scoped out within a few hundred miles to look at over the next week. One take away from the day for us was that there is a very marked and noticeable difference between grands priced below $25K and those priced above $25K. I am referring to what they can actually be purchased for, not MSRP. To get the sound and quality that my wife likes, it is most likely going to cost me $25K-$35K, out the door, delivered, and setup in our home.
I would think you could purchase the new Boston GP 178 for around $25K. But if you can find them I would strongly encourage you to try to find some rebuilt/refurbished Mason and Hamlins before zeroing in on Steinway. I'm surprised the Baldwins didn't resonate with your wife. Sounds like she had a fun day !

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Carey] #2816487 02/17/19 09:42 AM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
[/quote] I would think you could purchase the new Boston GP 178 for around $25K. But if you can find them I would strongly encourage you to try to find some rebuilt/refurbished Mason and Hamlins before zeroing in on Steinway. I'm surprised the Baldwins didn't resonate with your wife. Sounds like she had a fun day !

[/quote]

Yes, I was surprised that she didn't like the Bladwins too well, either. Perhaps it was set-up, since they were all in the same shop. Unfortunately, we haven't found a M&H yet, that has been either within reasonable driving distance, or in good enough condition that it didn't need further work. The only place within a couple hundred miles of us that has any Bostons is the Little Rock Steinway store (a very, very nice, brand new store, by the way). Our tax around here is pushing 11%, so they weren't too far off of your $25K suggestion when one adds back on tax. Also, since we weren't ready to buy, I am sure that we could get a little better deal with more intense dickering at the final stage of purchasing. I would still rather buy her a rebuilt American made vintage piano than the Boston, but in the end, it will be her decision not mine!

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2817340 02/19/19 11:06 AM
Jolly Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Check with Howard over at Ragland and see if he has anything interesting.

https://raglandpiano.com/

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.4M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Jolly] #2817347 02/19/19 11:20 AM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Jolly
Check with Howard over at Ragland and see if he has anything interesting.

https://raglandpiano.com/

Thanks! We did check, and most of his stuff is waiting to be rebuilt.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2817553 02/19/19 05:00 PM
G
GSJ2 Offline
G
It's not the biggest store, but check out Anderson's Piano Clinic in Cabot. They usually have a decent selection, and their tech is outstanding.

George Johnson
Little Rock, Arkansas
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2820078 02/25/19 08:40 PM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Sorry for the delayed reply to this thread, but my wife and I took an 1800 mile road trip this past week, looking at every piano within driving distance that we thought might interest her. We just got back home about 48 hours ago. Several of the dealers mentioned here were visited. We ended up in the Elkhart Indiana area of the country, and she decided on a satin ebony, Victorian style (with "ice-cream cone" legs)1903 Steinway A, 100% rebuilt (and also sold to us) by Chupp's Pianos. I tried to post some photos of the piano in another thread, but I screwed the thread up so badly that I talked the moderators into removing the thread. I can't seem to figure out how to post photos here on the forums from my Dropbox account, no matter what I try. Thanks again for all the replies and advice!

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2820094 02/25/19 09:44 PM
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Sorry for the delayed reply to this thread, but my wife and I took an 1800 mile road trip this past week, looking at every piano within driving distance that we thought might interest her. We just got back home about 48 hours ago. Several of the dealers mentioned here were visited. We ended up in the Elkhart Indiana area of the country, and she decided on a satin ebony, Victorian style (with "ice-cream cone" legs)1903 Steinway A, 100% rebuilt (and also sold to us) by Chupp's Pianos. I tried to post some photos of the piano in another thread, but I screwed the thread up so badly that I talked the moderators into removing the thread. I can't seem to figure out how to post photos here on the forums from my Dropbox account, no matter what I try. Thanks again for all the replies and advice!

That's great! You were in our area, and maybe passed close to my house on your way up. I've admired that piano on his website, but he doesn't have a video posted of it. Congratulations! How long until you get the piano?

Post the photos on the Piano Photo Gallery forum lower on the forums page. Then use the Full Editor button below in the thread where you want to post. There's a tool there on the tool bar to add the URL of the photos in your post.

Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: GC13] #2820101 02/25/19 09:51 PM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B

That's great! You were in our area, and maybe passed close to my house on your way up. I've admired that piano on his website, but he doesn't have a video posted of it. Congratulations! How long until you get the piano?

Post the photos on the Piano Photo Gallery forum lower on the forums page. Then use the Full Editor button below in the thread where you want to post. There's a tool there on the tool bar to add the URL of the photos in your post.

Thanks!

We should get it in 3-4 weeks, depending on his favorite delivery person's schedule.

I posted in the Piano Photo Gallery about 30 minutes ago, but the thread isn't showing up yet. So far, this is about the most difficult forum to post photos of any I have experienced. But, I'm sure I will eventually get there!

Here is a link to the piano on his site:

1903 Steinway A

Last edited by Beardog; 02/25/19 09:54 PM.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2820107 02/25/19 09:59 PM
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Yes, uploading and including pictures isn't the easiest thing in the PW interface. I just checked and they aren't showing up. I think i'd try to post them again if I were you.

A visit to Chupp's is pretty cool. That's were I went before I decided on the types of hammers to use on my Steinway Model B rebuild a couple of years ago.

Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2820122 02/25/19 10:34 PM
B
Beardog Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yes, uploading and including pictures isn't the easiest thing in the PW interface. I just checked and they aren't showing up. I think i'd try to post them again if I were you.

A visit to Chupp's is pretty cool. That's were I went before I decided on the types of hammers to use on my Steinway Model B rebuild a couple of years ago.

I reposted a couple of photos, and they showed up! Hopefully I am about to get there! It also came with the Jansen Duet bench as shown in my photos.He had moved the piano into the work area of his shop to tune it and get it optimally setup up for my wife to play it before we arrived. That brown piano behind my wife's is a model B, made from some type of ultra-rare wood, and he already has the piano sold, before doing anything except refinsihing it. The shell was completely empty on the day that we were there. I made a short video of one of his employees playing our piano, but I haven't asked for permission to post it on youtube or elsewhere yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2820137 02/25/19 11:16 PM
Retsacnal Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Congrats! That's a handsome piano, and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

I really like the ice cream cone legs.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2820240 02/26/19 07:28 AM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I reposted a couple of photos, and they showed up! Hopefully I am about to get there! It also came with the Jansen Duet bench as shown in my photos.He had moved the piano into the work area of his shop to tune it and get it optimally setup up for my wife to play it before we arrived. That brown piano behind my wife's is a model B, made from some type of ultra-rare wood, and he already has the piano sold, before doing anything except refinsihing it. The shell was completely empty on the day that we were there. I made a short video of one of his employees playing our piano, but I haven't asked for permission to post it on youtube or elsewhere yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Congratulations on such a nice piano!

[Linked Image]
Re: Good Pianos to Try Out?? [Re: Beardog] #2820296 02/26/19 10:34 AM
D
Dave in Denver Offline
D
Congrats on a great piano!

Dave In Denver
1916 Weber FR 6' Duo Art
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Your 2019 Video Christmas Card from Me
by TromboneAl - 12/10/19 12:01 PM
(OT) The Voice... shock
by Jytte - 12/10/19 10:04 AM
MP11SE Vibrato
by dmd - 12/10/19 09:51 AM
Garittan CFX questions
by idfpiano - 12/10/19 01:11 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,593
Posts2,900,320
Members95,200
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission