2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 108 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 107 108
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
I remember working with my teacher on one of them and I couldn't imagine what 'Leo' meant. Turned out to be a stylized representation of 'Ped', doh!

Haha. Tricked by that funky gothic font! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

Those were just 2 examples of something in the software that frustrates me. But I've been around long enough to know that the world isn't going to change for me and to suspect that the rest of you might suffer if it did!

Inspired by the enthusiasm of Tyrone, I have been diving again in technique today. And it remains equally difficult for me, Level 3a from Nr 14 onwards... I think what annoys me most is the "eartraining" because then you have to wait so long and be guaranteed to start playing late, it's so time consuming... And the nasty thing is that in "prepare" it starts right where the notes stand, then you think, yes I know it but nothing is less true. But I have made the intention to try every day, good of me huh?
.Method I finished level 4A only the C scale I have to do....again some technical stuff :p

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah65

Those were just 2 examples of something in the software that frustrates me. But I've been around long enough to know that the world isn't going to change for me and to suspect that the rest of you might suffer if it did!

Inspired by the enthusiasm of Tyrone, I have been diving again in technique today. And it remains equally difficult for me, Level 3a from Nr 14 onwards... I think what annoys me most is the "eartraining" because then you have to wait so long and be guaranteed to start playing late, it's so time consuming... And the nasty thing is that in "prepare" it starts right where the notes stand, then you think, yes I know it but nothing is less true. But I have made the intention to try every day, good of me huh?
.Method I finished level 4A only the C scale I have to do....again some technical stuff :p

As TomInCinci pointed out, skipping around might not be bad (his 95% example). Sometimes one is just not ready for a certain exercise. Better to skip around and still do it overall than to not skip around and quit, I say. And Sarah65, I'd say you'd have gotten the main "meat" out of the Technique exercises with anything 95% or over. No need to be as fastidious about Technique exercises. The last 5% of technique exercises seem to exercise something else other than the first 95%. Often, for example, it is timing or some such thing.

For ear training, it is progressive. Instead of jumping into the ear training exercises at level 3 as you are at, you might consider going back and redoing the earlier ear training exercises even at level 1, just to try for a good start. I think you mentioned having to memorize the notes on ear training exercises, which turns these from ear training into a memorization exercise, and in that case, there are probably better memorization exercises you could do instead.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Tyrone, are you kidding ? Go back to previous levels? While I'm just telling you that the ear training is so annoying because you have to wait every time the example is played. There are nicer things to wait for... and that MIDI sound is also not really pleasant laugh I'll do the best I can and move on...method is nicer to conquer.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
My question to the Pm development team:

Is it possible to provide the option in prepare mode and/or in play
controls to make a choice in left or right hand?
It might also save you a lot of work if you no longer have to mince every
new song. I don't know if you guys do that the same way as the users who
upload, have to do; at least I hate that work. :))

There answer:
Thanks for the suggestion, I will take it to our development meeting!

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Does that mean the PDFs are now no longer free?

I don't think that's the case at all, just sometimes it's nicer to have things in a bound print format rather than have to download and print yourself. I have all the PDFs downloaded to my iPad but I haven't printed anything.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I finally got masterd "What a Saw", and in technique already one of the (seems impossible) level 3 A. Seems nothing is impossible. Reminder to myself next time I'm stuck again laugh

Whew! boy, the C Major scale exercise in Method 4A is killing me! Somehow I lucked out on the Sixteenth Notes and mastered it. just getting my fingers to move that fast! I can tell that my "reach" has expanded since I started playing but speed just isn't there yet. My hands are actually aching a little. I can really see how much I'm going to have to start out slow.

I probably should go back and bring myself up to the same level in Technique. I sorta left that hanging in Level 2D. I really don't like the ear training. I'm just not good at it.

[Linked Image]

Piano Marvel 4D

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Whew! boy, the C Major scale exercise in Method 4A is killing me! Somehow I lucked out on the Sixteenth Notes and mastered it. just getting my fingers to move that fast! I can tell that my "reach" has expanded since I started playing but speed just isn't there yet. My hands are actually aching a little. I can really see how much I'm going to have to start out slow.

I probably should go back and bring myself up to the same level in Technique. I sorta left that hanging in Level 2D. I really don't like the ear training. I'm just not good at it.

Same here, speed is not my thing. The scales I manage just in time but then I have to move my left hand for the chords and I'm always to late :p And ear training I hate also...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
but then I have to move my left hand for the chords and I'm always to late :p

One of the things that helps me is to move slightly before I have to for the chords. Shorten the previous note slightly in value and already start moving to the next chord position. Have you tried this? It really helps with timing.

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
but then I have to move my left hand for the chords and I'm always to late :p

One of the things that helps me is to move slightly before I have to for the chords. Shorten the previous note slightly in value and already start moving to the next chord position. Have you tried this? It really helps with timing.

After the scales I end up with my pink on low C... then play right hand C chord and immadiatly left hand C chord (in the middle)...and my hand is still on the end of the keys...too slow wink
Your advise is good for normal songs, so thank you.

Last edited by Sarah65; 02/12/19 04:54 PM.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

I get Major C today laugh I did it in practice mode, first very slow and then faster and faster, every time untill I got no red dots. I stopped technique in level 3B, so you dont really need that.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Submitted smile

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

To be honest, I'm trying to disconnect from Facebook. I'd rather discuss PianoMarvel here. I appreciate the 22 pages of discussion that have already been amassed in this thread.

I'm in my first month with PianoMarvel, still in the free trial period. I set a practice goal of 800 minutes for the month and I'm at 740 minutes.

I'm at the 2C level in technique and the 2E level in method.

When can I add the Alfred Adult Piano Course? Or, well, can I buy that and add it to PianoMarvel? Do I have to wait until I purchase a subscription?

I've only added a few pieces to the library. Do people add a lot of pieces when they're at my level?

Cool thanks. Request to join approved already. See you there!

[Linked Image]

Piano Marvel 4D

Will any of us recognize each other when we use our real names? smile

Originally Posted by LarryK

When can I add the Alfred Adult Piano Course? Or, well, can I buy that and add it to PianoMarvel? Do I have to wait until I purchase a subscription?

I've only added a few pieces to the library. Do people add a lot of pieces when they're at my level?

I think you probably have to have a subscription in order to add a paid component like that (but don't hold me to that). As far as pieces in the Library, I personally have a lot in mine. There are plenty of pieces available for every level that I think help to reinforce what you are learning in the Method section. I started with PM about a year ago, and I did take some time off from it, but it seems like they are actively running promotions to keep users interested and motivated. Before the end of the year it was the hymns challenge (they sent Certificates for accomplishing certain levels) and the Christmas challenge. Now they have a Song of the Week thing going on.

I don't imagine this thread will slow up just because of the FB group, so there will still be plenty of activity.

Will any of us recognize each other when we use our real names? smile

Possibly not, although there are 2 participants here that I think I have identified over there, but at the same time, maybe they don't want to be identified. Personally, I don't mind. See you there!

Lana (<---hint)

[Linked Image]

Piano Marvel 4D

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Lana (<---hint)

Friend added smile

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK

To be honest, I'm trying to disconnect from Facebook. I'd rather discuss PianoMarvel here. I appreciate the 22 pages of discussion that have already been amassed in this thread.

I'm in my first month with PianoMarvel, still in the free trial period. I set a practice goal of 800 minutes for the month and I'm at 740 minutes.

I'm at the 2C level in technique and the 2E level in method.

I do not do Facebook at all.

[Linked Image]
Page 22 of 108 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission