2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 45 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 44 45
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
M
M
Regarding the new keybed and "smart' features of the PX-S1000/3000: does anyone think we can expect a successor to the PX-5S/560 incorporating these soon?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
As I said, PX-5S was silently removed from Thomann. Maybe an update is imminent.

On another note, the more I listen to the new demos, the more I dislike the piano sound and Rhodes sounds. I understand it's unbelievable that such a tiny package is hammer weighted and the price can't be beaten by anything else, but the sounds are just not convincing at all. Is this memory limitation of the devices, compression technology or something else?

Last edited by CyberGene; 02/18/19 10:41 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by CyberGene
As I said, PX-5S was silently removed from Thomann. Maybe an update is imminent.

On another note, the more I listen to the new demos, the more I dislike the piano sound and Rhodes sounds. I understand it's unbelievable that such a tiny package is hammer weighted and the price can't be beaten by anything else, but the sounds are just not convincing at all. Is this memory limitation of the devices, compression technology or something else?

Not sure about the new PX models, but have you heard how the PX-560/PX-5S sounds? This is a comparison between the Casio PX-560, Kawai MP11 and Korg Kronos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-yO6caa1z0

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by arc7urus

Not sure about the new PX models, but have you heard how the PX-560/PX-5S sounds? This is a comparison between the Casio PX-560, Kawai MP11 and Korg Kronos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-yO6caa1z0

Well, still the same tin like sound. What’s rather surprising to me is MP11 doesn’t sound much better in comparison. Or maybe I’ve already cooled down to the EX sound which I haven’t used much anyway lately.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Well, still the same tin like sound. What’s rather surprising to me is MP11 doesn’t sound much better in comparison. Or maybe I’ve already cooled down to the EX sound which I haven’t used much anyway lately.

It's interesting. The MP11 sounds like a Kawai grand. The Kronos sounds like a Steinway VST and the Casio sounds like a toy piano. laugh

Obviously the YT commenters all prefer the Casio, because it's the loudest of the bunch. The loudness fallacy works all the time.

Yamaha P-515
R
R
I'm really starting to wonder whether the PX-S3000 is worth waiting for… It seems a lot like I wouldn't be able to get it before mid-April or end of April, and as I have to let go of the Yamaha DGX-640 I'm currently using in March, I would be looking at a month away from all lessons and practice… Not sure whether that's the best option. Perhaps I should just carry on with a different DP that I can order now…

What to do, eh?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by RosemaryGirl

What to do, eh?

If I may ask, what musical style do you play? If it's mainly solo piano, then the only reason to wait for the new Casio is to get your hands on a new shiny DP...personally I would not halt playing for the sake of waiting for a new model unless it was more important than practicing/playing.

Also, IMO I think the Casio's best feature at the moment over other recent slabs is the small size factor it comes in and I'd be surprised if it surpasses other similarly priced slabs in terms of sound and action...unless you are a Casio fan that is and like/have liked their actions and sounds in the past..

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I'm really starting to wonder whether the PX-S3000 is worth waiting for… It seems a lot like I wouldn't be able to get it before mid-April or end of April, and as I have to let go of the Yamaha DGX-640 I'm currently using in March, I would be looking at a month away from all lessons and practice… Not sure whether that's the best option. Perhaps I should just carry on with a different DP that I can order now…

What to do, eh?

If a potential S3000 follows the same steps as the PX-560 and 5-S, then you will get a "jack of all trades, master of none" keyboard, i.e. a keyboard that mixes together a subset of features from stage pianos, arrangers, synths and workstations. These extra features can be undoubtedly "fun" since they allow to extensively edit, shape and layer sounds. However, these features are mostly irrelevant from an acoustic piano simulation perspective. On top of that, the new PX models will very likely share the same keyboard action. So, why are you interested in a potential S3000? If you are looking for a new Casio, why don't you get an S2000 now?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
An outside of NAMM review can be seen here... just released.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jamiecw
An outside of NAMM review can be seen here... just released.

Doesn't sound good at all to me frown The pianos are the typical Casio affair with tin-like attack and thin sustain, or as someone once put it: plinky-plonky. The Rhodes is too synthetic, whereas some other electric pianos are even reminiscent of OPL3 synthesis (who remembers what that is?). I guess it's still a good deal considering the size, the weight and there's even speakers.

R
R

What to do, eh?

If I may ask, what musical style do you play? If it's mainly solo piano, then the only reason to wait for the new Casio is to get your hands on a new shiny DP...personally I would not halt playing for the sake of waiting for a new model unless it was more important than practicing/playing.

Also, IMO I think the Casio's best feature at the moment over other recent slabs is the small size factor it comes in and I'd be surprised if it surpasses other similarly priced slabs in terms of sound and action...unless you are a Casio fan that is and like/have liked their actions and sounds in the past..

The more I hear and read about it, the more I wonder whether it's worth waiting for… But then, I just don't know what to buy cry
The musical style I play the most (having started only 4-5 months ago) is classical, and I also intend to play jazz. In fairness, knowing myself, I will most probably never ever get around using all the sounds and fancy buttons, I just want a piano that sounds and feels good AND (here is the tricky part) is light enough for me to carry around every few weeks (I have a nomadic lifestyle)… It has to fit in my car with all the rest of my stuff.

The pluses of this one were the size and weight and the ability to attach 3 pedals to it as opposed to just one. But I really know very little about what's out there and get mainly confused by the fact no one seems to agree on what feels and sounds good anyway! I don't want it to feel or sound toy-like though. My budget started at about 600€ but I could stretch to 1000€ if needed.

If you have any ideas, I'd be most grateful! smile

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

What to do, eh?

The more I hear and read about it, the more I wonder whether it's worth waiting for… But then, I just don't know what to buy cry
The musical style I play the most (having started only 4-5 months ago) is classical, and I also intend to play jazz. In fairness, knowing myself, I will most probably never ever get around using all the sounds and fancy buttons, I just want a piano that sounds and feels good AND (here is the tricky part) is light enough for me to carry around every few weeks (I have a nomadic lifestyle)… It has to fit in my car with all the rest of my stuff.

The pluses of this one were the size and weight and the ability to attach 3 pedals to it as opposed to just one. But I really know very little about what's out there and get mainly confused by the fact no one seems to agree on what feels and sounds good anyway! I don't want it to feel or sound toy-like though. My budget started at about 600€ but I could stretch to 1000€ if needed.

A single sustain pedal will be more than enough for a long time... so, the three pedals are definitely not a factor at this point.

These Casio models are likely to be the lowest weight DPs out there. So if you will be moving the DP frequently then these lightweight PX models should be high-up in your list.

I would not be too much concerned about the sound. These entry-level DPs have a decent sound when used with headphones (not via speakers). The sound is far from perfect, but it is good enough to practice. In any case, you can always connect a computer to the DP and use a VST to improve the sound.

The main question is about the new Casio action. If the new action is at least similar to the previous Casio action, then a new PX will be sufficient for a couple of years. But you have to test it!

The most important is to have a DP where you can practice regularly. The brand/model is secondary...

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

… It has to fit in my car with all the rest of my stuff.

With portability, I think you may need to sacrifice on some of the features (if you plan to move the DP regularly).

If so, have you looked at the Roland FP10? Is a slimmer/lighter version of the Roland FP30 but has the same action and the main piano sounds that the FP30 has...it also has built-in speakers. The action is good, very good in my opinion for that price range.

Can you get better? Sure, with better comes higher price and heavier DP...pros and cons...

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I agree, the piano sound is the weak point, it sounds very canned to me particularly in the mid register. But the price, small form factor, portability and key action are great. Using a VST with this model would be the way to go for me.

R
R
I just had to look up "VST" as I had no idea what it meant!… cry

Sounds like I might be back to the drawing board and the Kawai ES110, which I guess is similar to the Roland FP-10. I was put off by people having to send theirs back for faults, etc., but I guess there's no way to know this wouldn't happen with the Casio, as it's not released yet. I'm not super keen to take a whole month break, but I also want to get the right thing. Decisions, decisions!

R
R
The ES110 is as light as these new casio models, just slightly bulkier. I have it and carry it around in my car sometimes, I have a small car yet I had no problems with that.

Also, its piano sample is great for classical and jazz (nice natural attack and sustain), at least I like it a lot more than the new casio's sample (which is essentially the same as the old ones). Cannot speak about the action because I didn't play the casio, but the ES110 has a nice action for its size and weight. About the Casio, I'm also worried about its key length, which will be shorter than the ES110 because of its very size, and the implications on its playability.

For using only the piano sound I wouldn't wait. The ES110 is a great deal.

R
R
By the way, I'm also one of the people complaining about the ES110: I got clicky keys after a week of use on my first unit. Then I got it replaced, and the same happened with the new unit. That's not good.

It has its defects, but the piano in general is so good I still recommend it.

Hopefully we'll get an ES120 with the clicky keys thingy fixed, since this problem comes unsolved at least from the ES100. Then we'll have the perfect (truly) portable slab piano.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RodrigoPon
Hopefully we'll get an ES120 with the clicky keys thingy fixed, since this problem comes unsolved at least from the ES100.

My ES100 doesn't click, never did.

Yamaha P-515
Page 10 of 45 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission