Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (AYS, albydooby, camperbc, CosminX, CyberGene, Anglagard44, Beowulf, Animisha, 16 invisible), 916 guests, and 500 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano #2814932 02/14/19 03:03 AM
S
Skjalg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Benny Andersson from the group Abba came out with a record some time ago called "Piano", or as he would have liked to call it an Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano.
When I heard the record, I was curious if it was a Fazioli, and it turned out to be. So for the Fazioli fans out there, you might want to have a look:

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2814942 02/14/19 04:04 AM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
That was very nice.
Thank you for sharing.

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2814944 02/14/19 04:06 AM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Ahhh the intro reminds me of how much I love Stockholm. Can't wait to visit again.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2814961 02/14/19 05:47 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
The white Yamaha GX1 synth in the background cost more than four Steinway Model Ds when he bought in the '70s.

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/14/19 05:48 AM.
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2814962 02/14/19 06:09 AM
Maximillyan Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
thanks for video,
It's band better for ALL TIMES
"ABBA" is FOREVER!

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: johnstaf] #2814968 02/14/19 06:56 AM
S
Skjalg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by johnstaf
The white Yamaha GX1 synth in the background cost more than four Steinway Model Ds when he bought in the '70s.

Yes, it was very noticeable in the background. I remember I heard on the radio as a young boy about the astronomical price Abba had paid for it.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/gx1.php
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_GX-1

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Maximillyan] #2814976 02/14/19 07:20 AM
NobleHouse Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
thanks for video,
It's band better for ALL TIMES
"ABBA" is FOREVER!

I have always enjoyed ABBA as well.

[Linked Image]
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2814991 02/14/19 08:06 AM
Animisha Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

One of my favourite spots for a picknick! smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2814997 02/14/19 08:18 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
I remember going to Stockholm for the first time, and the city was like a living ABBA song. It had the exact atmosphere that I expected. The second time I stayed in Skeppsholmen (is that where the photo was taken?) without realising that I was next door to Bjorn and Benny's new studio. I've always thought of Stockholm as the most beautiful city in Europe.

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2815057 02/14/19 09:44 AM
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Very nice. I enjoyed the video.

I too am an old man playing old songs on my old pianos, but not nearly as well as Benny. smile

Cheers!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: johnstaf] #2815809 02/15/19 02:34 PM
Animisha Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
I remember going to Stockholm for the first time, and the city was like a living ABBA song. It had the exact atmosphere that I expected. The second time I stayed in Skeppsholmen (is that where the photo was taken?) without realising that I was next door to Bjorn and Benny's new studio. I've always thought of Stockholm as the most beautiful city in Europe.

Yes, it is Skeppsholmen. Quite incredible that you recognise this. I feel the same about Stockholm, especially when we bike around on a warm summer day.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2816148 02/16/19 12:04 PM
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting! I wasn’t much of an ABBA fan back in the day. I was more into Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Leon Russell and Stevie Wonder. Loved Ray Charles and Herbie Hancock! I also lusted for the big early Yamaha GX1.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2816337 02/16/19 07:27 PM
G
GIJack Offline
G
Very interesting video. Thanks for posting. I love how a very successful musician still gives inspiration to younger generations. Learnt something new about Yamaha GX1, too.

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2816351 02/16/19 07:57 PM
S
supersport Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thank you, a very nice album for a rainy Saturday relaxing by a fire.

David

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2816511 02/17/19 10:36 AM
S
Skjalg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I am glad you all enjoyed it!
I just remembered how I came across it in the first place. It was a bit of a coincidence. I have tried a magnificent Steingraeber 212 on several occasions, and pondered the thought if it would be worth saving up for. So I read the Steingraeber’s web page from time to time, and last summer I noticed they had a new artists A-Z:
https://www.steingraeber.de/en/references/artists-a-z/

I noticed to my surprise they had Benny Andersson and Leif Ove Andsnes on the first page. I had not realised that either of these artists had any association with Steingraeber whatsoever.
Leif Ove Andsndes I knew was a Steinway artist,
https://www.steinway.com/artists/leif-ove-andsnes

so I am not sure what this artist thing really is all about. I know of one Steinway artist, that has a Shigeru Kawaiat home, a Bösendorfer in one of his work locations, and a Schiedmayer at his cottage... Anyway, I thought it could be that they had played an album with a Steingraeber, or just had one for whatever reason. So I started looking at their recent recordings, and that is how I came across the recording “Piano”. I rather liked it, so as always I tried to find out what piano had been used. Most of the time it is difficult to make out, because of recording techniques and what not. I have only played Fazioli once, an F-278. Very beautiful, but also a very characteristic sound. The sound from “Piano” reminded me that Fazioli, and when I later came across this promotional video, it was confirmed.

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2816526 02/17/19 11:18 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member
Steingraeber seem to engage in the practice of listing anyone who has ever played one of their pianos, giving the impression that they are Steingraeber artists. Bösendorfer used to do this as well.

Benny Andersson has been playing Fazioli for quite a while now. In his later ABBA days, he played a Bösendorfer, but that stayed behind at the now defunct Polar Music Studios.

BTW, they published a book with these arrangements. There's a few non-ABBA songs in it too.

Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: Skjalg] #2816530 02/17/19 11:26 AM
P
petebfrance Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Very nice - 'thank-you for the music'.
I have visited Stockholm but didn't have a long enough stay - business, saw the hotel and a restaurant or two. Oh and a market and some shops. Also play ABBA songs on the piano, but sadly not a Fazioli.

regards
Pete
Re: Old man, playing old songs, on a new piano [Re: johnstaf] #2816599 02/17/19 01:46 PM
S
Skjalg Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Steingraeber seem to engage in the practice of listing anyone who has ever played one of their pianos, giving the impression that they are Steingraeber artists. Bösendorfer used to do this as well.

My guess would be that these are artists that have performed in the Steingraeber concert hall at some point, and have given feedback on likes and dislikes of the Steingraeber pianos. I have seen several of them, for instance Aleksandra Mikulska, have played there. I do not think she has recorded on Steingraeber though. I know she has recorded on August Förster and Bösendorfer.

Jura Margulis have recorded on a Steingraeber, and also gave input to what became the Sordino pedal
https://www.steingraeber.de/en/innovationen/sordino/

In general, though, it seems more likely, as you hinted, these are artists that have played Steingraeber at some point.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to mentally prepare for a big performance?
by PracticingPianist - 12/14/19 01:24 AM
Very Hard Hammers
by Duaner - 12/13/19 06:19 PM
Chopin Etudes
by Moo :) - 12/13/19 04:53 PM
OT- A Christmas quodlibet called Yule Flip
by pianoloverus - 12/13/19 03:00 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,644
Posts2,901,451
Members95,232
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission