2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (drumour, ejlamas, dorfmouse, Alex.G, CyberGene, David B, chrisbell, GoFlying, barbaram, aphexdisklavier, 6 invisible), 471 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
yvr2011 Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Hoping to get some advice here. My son is 12 and is practicing level 9 RCM. He'll probably practicing for another 3 years while he completes level 10 and possibly his ARCT. We're looking at purchasing a grand piano as he has been playing on an older upright. We've been told the grand should be at least 6'. the C2X is 5'-8". Is it worth getting the C3X? More expensive, yes but does it play differently? I assume the sound is a little better on the C3X. We've played both but he couldn't feel a big difference. We are sacrificing a lot to buy this for him but we think that it will be worthwhile.
Hopefully he will continue playing in his adult life and keep this for a long time!
Any advice is appreciated!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The big difference will be the tonal improvement in the bass register because of the longer bass strings. The 2 pianos will probably play just about the same and sound similar otherwise. As a general rule, as pianos lengthen, the bass is usually more powerful, has more of a "growl", and more clarity (fundamental tone). This may be why a piano of at least 6' is recommended. As the piano approaches the 7' range, the difference is usually even more noticeable. I'm not sure if the CnX series Yamaha pianos are considered to have a wide tail or not, but often a short piano with a wider tail will have a significantly improved bass tone.

Are you purchasing a new piano or used? The C2X and C3X are relatively new models. I highly recommend fully investigating the used piano market. One can often find amazing deals out there on excellent pianos -- Baldwins, Steinways, Mason & Hamlins, Yamahas, and Kawais. The used piano market is a buyer's market. Always have a technician check out the condition of any used piano first to make sure you aren't getting a "money pit".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If the level 9 player in your house can't feel or hear the difference, I think you've found the point of diminishing returns!

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
S
spk Offline
S
Save the money and get the less expensive piano. Any decent grand will already be a world of difference from his current upright. If you’re price sensitive, I agree looking for used. You don’t need to spend 25K

I got my ARCT practicing on a dinky spinet piano. A nice piano helps, but definitely is not necessary to advance.

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
If the level 9 player in your house can't feel or hear the difference, I think you've found the point of diminishing returns!

Wise words. Both are beautifully built pianos.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila Area
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
The Science Channel on our piano restoration
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
As pianists train, their ears train also so your son might not hear or feel much difference now but might hear and feel the difference in a few years. As mentioned before, buying used can save you considerable money. It HAS TO BE CHECKED BY AN IMPARTIAL PIANO TECH. Used is a buyers market. For the same cash as a
new C2X you could buy a used bigger Yamaha C series or used Kawai.
You’re a very loving parent and I hope your son realizes how incredibly lucky or blessed he is.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Lots of professional pianists "only" have a C2 at home. I wouldn't worry that by getting a C2 that you are short-changing the pianist in your home!

C
C
If your son can't tell the difference between the C2X and C3X, get the C2X. I've played these two pianos in a showroom before and couldn't really tell much of a difference either. Any difference I thought I heard was extremely minor. It could very well be due to acoustics from the slightly different position in the room. They both play the same.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I very much enjoy the full rich pianissimos of the C3X. I find the C3X to be much more expressive.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
At his level and with the time he will commit in the next few years, he should try more instruments until one stands out. After trying more, a Yamaha may be the stand out because they are good instruments, but there are more quality, competitive choices in that size/price range than a few years ago.

Typically, I find the difference between the C2's and C3's to be very substantial when it comes to the subtlety and nuance. Your son's level of study means he has the repertoire to dive deeper, but he may not have the understanding or may not be using the best pieces to test when comparing. Often, the best test is playing softly with control - selecting pieces that have dynamic range, but not just top end. Select pieces that also test the different registers. Do you feel in control of the bass & treble balance.

I would ask him to try and play a piece "differently" than he does at home. Think of a few simple pieces he knows well, and then exaggerate the way it would typically be played, faster, slower, louder, softer, stretch himself a bit and see which piano excites him. If you see a difference then, you are probably on the right track. If not, then definitely go with a cheaper option.

I agree with chronos1701 that the room acoustics may not be helping, and that can be a challenge when shopping. I think that is more reason to try a few more pianos in a few more spaces before settling in on one. Evaluating/comparing pianos is a developed skill, so creating at least some experience base can be really helpful.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Standchen which version of sheet music ?
by jzmeister1 - 04/19/21 03:47 AM
Strings termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 03:04 AM
Mozart vs. Salieri
by grand_BB_71 - 04/19/21 02:52 AM
Soft pedal rod falling off on Kawai K500
by ADIRL - 04/18/21 11:05 PM
re-felting hammers
by tjazz - 04/18/21 09:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,390
Posts3,083,993
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission