2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
39 members (Calavera, cjmack, AZNpiano, chopinetto, Charles Cohen, Caeso2010, Carey, 8 invisible), 377 guests, and 215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Opinions/Advice?
#2814721 02/13/19 05:30 PM
B
Blue72 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Long time reader of the forum, and avid reader of the digital piano section. Never had much call to join, until now.

Would it be possible for people to listen to this short video and give an opinion? I don't want to give any context so to not bias any comments. It's fairly obvious, but not everyone can hear it, apparently.

The scale starts on C, and I've tried to play it as evenly as possible.

Thank you in advance for any comments.

Scale

Re: Opinions/Advice?
Blue72 #2814726 02/13/19 05:37 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That G4 sticks out like a sore!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Blue72 #2814728 02/13/19 05:38 PM
G
G
The fifth degree is louder/punchier...

CyberGene #2814729 02/13/19 05:40 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Do you have absolute pitch? wink

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
JoeT #2814731 02/13/19 05:42 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Do you have absolute pitch? wink

He said he started on C, so I just counted wink And at least I can distinguish octaves, it couldn't have been C3 or C5. Elementary, me dear Watson smile

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Blue72 #2814736 02/13/19 05:45 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Agree. The G is a bit louder than the others.

I have had that same thing on digital pianos I have owned.

On some, it can be corrected by making adjustments within the piano settings.

Don

Kawai MP11SE, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, Yamaha HS8S Powered Subwoofer, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Mackie MIX 5 Compact Mixer.
Blue72 #2814747 02/13/19 06:14 PM
B
Blue72 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hey, thanks for the quick replies. Yes G4 sticks out badly. It's a brand new mid range digital piano, and It's almost unplayable. The settings do mitigate it slightly, but it's always noticeable. It's a shame, because when you don't use that note, it's a great piano.

It also rings with some weird bell effect when you use different piano voices. I recorded it with my smart phone, but every person I showed it to says they can't hear anything strange, including the retailer. It sounds really clear to me, and very off-putting.

Here's the video if anyone likes to listen to a piano sounding like a school bell.

piano impersonating a bell

Currently in a 2 week old dispute with the retailer over it all, so it's nice to know I'm not imagining it, like they implied. Ridiculous really.

Thanks again for the very accurate replies.

Blue72 #2814780 02/13/19 07:15 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I recognise Billy Joel there.

Is that a Kawai CN series piano by any chance?

Blue72 #2814781 02/13/19 07:17 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The retailer can't hear anything, because he isn't a pianist.

The action needs regulation, should not happen on a new instrument.

Yamaha P-515 | Kawai ES100 | Steinberg UR22 | Sony MDR-7506
Blue72 #2814918 02/14/19 03:17 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Blue72, welcome to the forum.

Yes, I also hear the G4 note as being louder than the others. The key sensor is the likely culprit.
One way to double check would be to use a MIDI monitor (the one built into Pianoteq's settings window will be fine), then try playing the G4 and F4 (or A4) simultaneously using the same finger. The note-on velocities should be comparable, however I expect G4 will have a larger note-on velocity.

Regarding the "piano impersonating a bell" video, it's rather difficult to judge the sound from this smartphone recording, although I'm able to identify that you're playing a Kawai CA78.

Originally Posted by Blue72
It also rings with some weird bell effect when you use different piano voices.

Does this occur in Pianist mode or Sound mode?
If the former, which Rendering Characters produce this "bell effect"? If the latter, which sounds?
Does the effect occur only through speakers, or headphones also? Is there a reason for recording this clip using your phone, but the scale using the USB Audio recorder?

Currently in a 2 week old dispute with the retailer over it all, so it's nice to know I'm not imagining it, like they implied. Ridiculous really.

If you are not satisfied with the response provided by your dealer, my recommendation would be to raise this topic with your local Kawai distributor (e.g. Kawai UK, assuming you are based in the UK).

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
JoeT #2814939 02/14/19 04:43 AM
B
Blue72 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by KevinM
I recognise Billy Joel there.

Is that a Kawai CN series piano by any chance?

Hey it's a CA78.
Originally Posted by JoeT
The retailer can't hear anything, because he isn't a pianist.

The action needs regulation, should not happen on a new instrument.

I agree, seems like a poor condition to send out a new untouched instrument.

Blue72 #2814941 02/14/19 04:58 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
3000 Post Club Member
S
Re the "bell" - I assume you're referring to the "twang" sound. I generally love that kind of artifact - HOWEVER - it does sound rather unnatural to have it stand out on a few notes, with the other notes not making the twang. I definitely hear it as being too uneven. As James said, see if sounds the same over headphones etc etc.

Greg.

Kawai James #2814946 02/14/19 05:15 AM
B
Blue72 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hello Blue72, welcome to the forum.

Yes, I also hear the G4 note as being louder than the others. The key sensor is the likely culprit.
One way to double check would be to use a MIDI monitor (the one built into Pianoteq's settings window will be fine), then try playing the G4 and F4 (or A4) simultaneously using the same finger. The note-on velocities should be comparable, however I expect G4 will have a larger note-on velocity.

Regarding the "piano impersonating a bell" video, it's rather difficult to judge the sound from this smartphone recording, although I'm able to identify that you're playing a Kawai CA78.

It also rings with some weird bell effect when you use different piano voices.

Does this occur in Pianist mode or Sound mode?
If the former, which Rendering Characters produce this "bell effect"? If the latter, which sounds?
Does the effect occur only through speakers, or headphones also? Is there a reason for recording this clip using your phone, but the scale using the USB Audio recorder?

If you are not satisfied with the response provided by your dealer, my recommendation would be to raise this topic with your local Kawai distributor (e.g. Kawai UK, assuming you are based in the UK).

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James, thanks for the welcome.

I wouldn't know where to start with the midi thing as I've literally never used anything to do with midi. To be honest I don't think I need to check it as clearly something is amiss. I appreciate that smartphone microphones are not the best, but even accounting for that, it seems really clear to me, although others i've asked can't notice it.

The reason one is recorded with a smartphone, and one with usb, is so I could show a fuller picture of the issue, and also to prove the issue is coming from my own instrument. Sounds crazy that you have to go to these lengths with a retailer, but that's where we are. The issue occurs in both pianist and smart mode. The loud note is most prominent in pianist mode, and the ringing effect is worst in the sound mode, especially the EK sample (I think from memory).

I understand that I could contact Kawai, but a Kawai sales agent has already seen the ringing video and diagnosed that it can be remedied using the settings. I've tried every possible setting and nothing makes it "normal", although you can lessen it somewhat. I'm not sure that Kawai have seen the scale video made with usb, as when I sent that to the retailer, I received no acknowledgement that they had received it.

The retailer is implying that I just dont like the piano, and/or the samples, and nothing could be further from the truth. The action is great and when you play in keys with no g's, it sounds really good. As we currently stand, the retailer is going to ask Kawai to send an engineer, but there's a possibility that I will be charged for their time if they find no fault. (The retailers words). I am UK based fyi.

sullivang #2814949 02/14/19 05:22 AM
B
Blue72 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by sullivang
Re the "bell" - I assume you're referring to the "twang" sound. I generally love that kind of artifact - HOWEVER - it does sound rather unnatural to have it stand out on a few notes, with the other notes not making the twang. I definitely hear it as being too uneven. As James said, see if sounds the same over headphones etc etc.

Greg.

Yes, I know what you mean. If it was only on one sample and was spread evenly over all keys, the ringing wouldn't be the end of the world. Saying that, the video doesn't do justice to just how annoying it can get. It happens with or without headphones.

Blue72 #2814956 02/14/19 06:19 AM
Helo Blue72, thank you for your reply, and for confirming that you are based in the UK.

Would it be possible to post two different USB recordings, one that you believe sounds normal, and another that you believe demonstrates the "bell-like" character. I wonder if the "ringing" that you're hearing is simply a characteristic of the resonance modelling - perhaps undamped string resonance?

Kind regards,
James
x

Blue72 #2815027 02/14/19 10:05 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I am interested in how this gets resolved. I don't know in the end whether the problem I had with my KDP 110 was piano placement or resonance modelling. I had a problem with a specific key like Blue72 does, but it occurred when the key was pressed as part of a chord. In the end I returned the piano in its 30 days free return and got a casio.

My experience was that the key action is great, even for such a low end model. It is superior to the more expensive Casio's I replaced it with. The CASIO’s sound system deals better with my practise space and doesn't have the one extra loud key. In the end I didn't chase it up as a fault and just returned the piano within the 30 day return.

I could imagine at the price level of the CA-78 that model was very specifically chosen so swapping it for some other model is not an option. You just want a CA-78 that works as expected.

Kevin

Kawai James #2815153 02/14/19 01:22 PM
B
Blue72 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Helo Blue72, thank you for your reply, and for confirming that you are based in the UK.

Would it be possible to post two different USB recordings, one that you believe sounds normal, and another that you believe demonstrates the "bell-like" character. I wonder if the "ringing" that you're hearing is simply a characteristic of the resonance modelling - perhaps undamped string resonance?

Kind regards,
James
x

Hey James, not totally sure what you're asking for, as all the samples ring to some extent. I've had another play with it today, and the pianist mode samples are not as bad as the sound mode samples. The EX concert grand is by far the worst sample. I've been through all the settings and dropped all the resonances to the minimum, and it has some effect, but nothing major. I am in the process of making another usb recording so I'll post it when it's ready.

The retailer has today informed me that a Kawai technician will be paying me a home visit just to see if there is actually a fault. He will call to make an appoinment so I can discuss it with him before he arrives hopefully.

KevinM #2815159 02/14/19 01:33 PM
B
Blue72 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am interested in how this gets resolved. I don't know in the end whether the problem I had with my KDP 110 was piano placement or resonance modelling. I had a problem with a specific key like Blue72 does, but it occurred when the key was pressed as part of a chord. In the end I returned the piano in its 30 days free return and got a casio.

My experience was that the key action is great, even for such a low end model. It is superior to the more expensive Casio's I replaced it with. The CASIO’s sound system deals better with my practise space and doesn't have the one extra loud key. In the end I didn't chase it up as a fault and just returned the piano within the 30 day return.

I could imagine at the price level of the CA-78 that model was very specifically chosen so swapping it for some other model is not an option. You just want a CA-78 that works as expected.

Kevin

I'm also within my 30 days, so it's not really a problem to return it. Hopefully they will accept there's a fault and replace it, as it's a good action, and the piano samples are also decent, once you've delved into the settings. The last thing I want to do is enter back into the minefield of picking a new one.

KevinM #2815384 02/14/19 08:25 PM
Hello Kevin,

I am interested in how this gets resolved. I don't know in the end whether the problem I had with my KDP 110 was piano placement or resonance modelling. I had a problem with a specific key like Blue72 does, but it occurred when the key was pressed as part of a chord.

I'm also not sure why the note you found to be objectionable in your KDP110 only occurred when played as a part of a chord, however I don't believe it's related to the loud note issue demonstrated in Blue72's scale recording.

Kind regards,
James
x

Blue72 #2815390 02/14/19 08:34 PM
Hello Blue72, thank you for your reply.

Hey James, not totally sure what you're asking for, as all the samples ring to some extent.

That might simply be a characteristic of the piano sounds, however it's difficult to judge from a low quality smartphone recording.

I've had another play with it today, and the pianist mode samples are not as bad as the sound mode samples.

The "Pianist mode" resonance system and "Sound mode" resonance system are completely different (the former being more advanced). You may be aware that in "Pianist mode", it's possible to tap and hold the screen, then swipe up or down to adjust the amount of resonance. Does this, or selecting a different "Rendering Character" preset (by swiping left or right on the main screen) change your impression of the sound?

The EX concert grand is by far the worst sample. I've been through all the settings and dropped all the resonances to the minimum, and it has some effect, but nothing major.

So even with the various resonance simulations turned off, you're still able to hear this sound? This leads me to believe that you're hearing the natural characteristics of the originally recorded grand piano. May I ask if you have owned another digital piano or an acoustic piano in the past, or if you have a particular piano that you are using as a frame of reference to compare with the CA78?

The retailer has today informed me that a Kawai technician will be paying me a home visit just to see if there is actually a fault. He will call to make an appoinment so I can discuss it with him before he arrives hopefully.

That's good to hear. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Kind regards,
James
x

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai GL-10 vs. Hailun 150SE
by cjmack - 07/14/20 01:24 AM
Modern Alternatives to the Metronome
by navindra - 07/13/20 08:10 PM
Eleanor Sokoloff RIP
by pianoloverus - 07/13/20 04:15 PM
Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?
by PianoManChuck - 07/13/20 03:55 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,239
Posts2,980,396
Members97,760
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission