2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Saw this New York Post article of Steinway customers getting angry about being duped into believing the instruments are investments.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/09/stein...FyIka3vhFvd301txKko42Q0EK0hGjM1UEo6ovYiY

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
How about the truthfulness of at the end of the text. Paulson looking to sell for $1B.?

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by phacke
How about the truthfulness of at the end of the text. Paulson looking to sell for $1B.?

I wondered about that as well.

[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The lack of a listed author contributes greatly to the article’s suspiciousness.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
S
S
If anything immediately appreciated in value when purchased, showrooms would not exist. People would buy a Steinway (or anything for that matter) sight unseen and immediately resell it or hoard it to increase market value. It would become a commodity. So the article insinuates two things; Steinway reps think all customers are stupid, or Steinway customers are stupid. Neither of which makes any sense in the purchase of something as refined or expensive as a Steinway piano.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
There probably have been some people who have bought a Steinway, and offered it up for sale soon after (within 5 years) only to find that they are being offered and accepting a crazy low price. I've actually never seen a young Steinway for sale in the UK with so much of a discount from new, even amongst private sellers, but it probably does happen and I would imagine that Steinways at such low prices are bought rather quickly from when advertised.

The demand for used Steinway pianos in good condition means that they do depreciate less than other makes, but to call them an investment in the way that, say, having a property portfolio is an investment, is stretching it a lot.

If I was in the market to buy a new Steinway piano and I could comfortably afford it, I may well buy one. I'd be buying it not to watch it increase in value, which it undoubtedly wouldn't, but to enjoy it as the fine instrument that it is. Perhaps that's the mistake people are making.... they're buying it convincing themselves that they're growing money when they're not.

YAMAHA Artist
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by joe80
There probably have been some people who have bought a Steinway, and offered it up for sale soon after (within 5 years) only to find that they are being offered and accepting a crazy low price. I've actually never seen a young Steinway for sale in the UK with so much of a discount from new, even amongst private sellers, but it probably does happen and I would imagine that Steinways at such low prices are bought rather quickly from when advertised.

The demand for used Steinway pianos in good condition means that they do depreciate less than other makes, but to call them an investment in the way that, say, having a property portfolio is an investment, is stretching it a lot.

If I was in the market to buy a new Steinway piano and I could comfortably afford it, I may well buy one. I'd be buying it not to watch it increase in value, which it undoubtedly wouldn't, but to enjoy it as the fine instrument that it is. Perhaps that's the mistake people are making.... they're buying it convincing themselves that they're growing money when they're not.

+1 joe80 -- maybe convincing themselves that they can afford a purchase that they really cannot.

I went thru a little of this buying my 1981 S&S B. It was an estate consignment sale. They were asking much less than the average S&S B on the market at that time in any age bracket. I was aware that in time it would need a little work. They came back to me with an extremely low offer b/c they were anxious to settle the estate. I've been told that I got it for what some might call "core" (rebuild) or wholesale value. So it's almost 40 years old now. I did pay a little more for it at wholesale value in 2017 than it was probably purchased for new in 1981. I looked at some websites that list B's of that era anywhere from $30k - $80k, depending upon the overall condition of the piano. So I can see how one can fall into the "investment" mindset. But I took my time and did some research to settle in on the fact that pianos are slow moving and it takes decades for this to occur, and money has to be put into repairs and upkeep. I couldn't let myself think that I could turn around and resell it in a couple of years to double my investment.

When considering any financial decisions on that scale involving that much money, one has to take personal responsibility and do the research. Some Steinway pianos cost more than my house, and I have a nice house. I can't blame the real estate agent or mortgage agent if I don't do my research and read the fine print before signing the documents.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
The price of a "new" Steinway goes up every year like clockwork. I suppose that as this continues over time, the value of a used Steinway also rises and over a LONG LONG time may actually exceed or come close to the price the private owners originally paid...…..but I suppose the same thing could said, generally speaking, about all higher end pianos...as long as folks are willing to pay those prices for new and used.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The Post attributes authorship to, "Post Staff Report". One could ask them what that means?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
The article has truth about Steinways not appreciating but also has misinformation and biased comments. Some of the scenarios talk about trying to resell the piano to a dealer which is not a good idea since one must compete with wholesale prices available to a dealer. One person quoted in the article deals in used Steinways so obviously cannot be unbiased.

The idea that a Steinway immediately drops 50% in value when leaving the showroom(from another article that I think the Post article was based on) is not true based in what I think are far more reliable sources. In fact, in the other lengthy PW thread about this article Larry Fine responded and said he warned the person interviewing for the article him not to say Steinways immediately dropped 50%.

I think that even in the internet age quite a few Steinway buyers are duped by the "appreciation" sales pitch.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/12/19 12:45 PM.
D
D
Steinway salespeople definitely use the tactic of claiming it to be an investment that won't lose value. The stats and figures of the real marketplace just don't bear those claims out, though. And, when you factor in the current "war" which Steinway has declared on rebuilders with the infamous "letter", you will (in my humble opinion) start to see Steinway values really plummet when customers realize that Steinway is making every effort to see that no one else is rebuilding these instruments.

Dan Wilson
World Class Piano Gallery.
Woodstock GA USA!!
(866) 333-0142

Wholesale purchase/sales of used Steinway grand pianos
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I recall in the window of a Steinway dealer in Philadelphia several years ago a chart showing the "value" of a Steinway grand over the years. What was listed was the purchase price of a given model across several decades, and, of course, the price increased dramatically over the time span of that "information." This was reputed to be "proof" of the investment value of a Steinway. What anyone with most of his/her marbles intact would realize is that the same "financial logic" could be applied to any manufactured commodity.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
A financial investment? No.

But an investment in one's own happiness and peace of mind? Absolutely, whether the money is spent on a Steinway or any other piano that satisfies the buyer's criteria.

Not all investments are financial investments.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I doubt the starry eyed pianists longingly looking through the window s of Steinway dealer are really using much logic. Emotion - big time Logic - not even. I wonder how many new piano buyers really understand what MSRP, SMP, “street price” or wholesale really mean.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
I doubt the starry eyed pianists longingly looking through the window s of Steinway dealer are really using much logic. Emotion - big time

I was thinking the very same thing. When someone wants something desperately, it doesn't take much arm-twisting rationalization to get them to say yes.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I recall in the window of a Steinway dealer in Philadelphia several years ago a chart showing the "value" of a Steinway grand over the years. What was listed was the purchase price of a given model across several decades, and, of course, the price increased dramatically over the time span of that "information." This was reputed to be "proof" of the investment value of a Steinway. What anyone with most of his/her marbles intact would realize is that the same "financial logic" could be applied to any manufactured commodity.

Regards,

I was also wondering about this as well. I've heard it said that they claim a Steinway is a great investment, but I've never seen these marketing materials. If they're pointing out that their retail price increases every year, then so what? Most prices increase over time. But if they are actively trying to convince people that their purchased piano's value will go up, that's unethical (IMO), and probably fraudulent.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
The other thing is, just because an occasional piano sells for a "high" price, doesn't mean they can all be sold for a higher price. Every one purchased new isn't going to be worth more later. Think of all the specimens slowing aging in Nana's parlor, or at the trash dump, or squirreled away as a "core" in somebody's warehouse, etc. They aren't all worth big money. The high resales are outliers, and to get there they've been maintained ($), probably recently refinished ($$), if not completely rebuilt ($$$), etc. By comparison, if you buy 100k in gold (instead of a piano), you don't need to have the gold tuned twice a year, plus other periodic maintenance, nor have it "rebuilt" for one-third to one-half of it's future value, in order for it to be worth more than what you paid for it.

Everyone who invests plans to cash out at some point. Everyone who buys a piano is not expecting to cash out at big T. If everyone who bought a Steinway expected to resell it later, then there would be a surplus of them in the marketplace, driving the values down.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
laugh ha
Wouldn't it be funny if the SEC sent Steinway a "the letter" advising them not to offer financial advice? After all, their prices represent fairly substantial "investments."

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I wonder how they'd respond if you stopped by your local gallery and said, "I'd like to see prospectuses on B's and D's with and without player systems."
thumb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission