2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2814064 02/12/19 01:32 PM
OP Offline
Hello! I've found this video here Youtube and I wanted to know if this is a good way to do scales. Practising with the metronome sounds like a good idea. So does moving both hands together up and down (I only practised hands moving away and towards each other).
I tried doing the scales in thirds, at 2:50 time, it went well for the C mayor scale but feels awkward doing it with other scales like G mayor scale. I'm not really sure where I have to put my fingers when there's a sharp or flat. Do I skip the sharps and flats and practice like the C mayor scale? I hope this all makes sense!

26-09-2018 start piano practice.
Alesis Recital Pro.
Self study.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
If you "skip the sharps and flats" then you are not playing in the key signature! So, no; you can't skip the sharps or flats. At this stage, since you are self study and only started in September of last year, you should not try to play scales in thirds at the present time. Learn all your scales, major and minor, hands together (eventually) in unison, and one scale at a time before you plan to play scales separated by a third.

If you really think you need to do scales separated by a third, then I would suggest that you do some research and find a book of scales that shows you the proper fingering for all scales, including those separated by thirds and sixths.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I looked at your video after my above post and discovered that the presenter is not playing the scale "in thirds," at least not what is traditionally know as playing a scale in thirds. What he is doing is playing broken chords or triads, (notes separated by a third), and moving up the C major scale as the bottom note for each broken chord. Then, he does the same, separating the notes by a fourth.

There is an inherent danger in learning badly by trying to follow some Youtube videos when you don't understand what is being presented and when the presenter may not use traditional terminology or - in some cases - doesn't know what s/he's talking about. Use video instruction with caution!

This is a technique that I would suggest is more advanced that you need at the moment, unless you are completely comfortable playing your scales in unison, hands together.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Find a good teacher.

Bösendorfer 170
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Find a good teacher.

"Amen" to that!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
H
I was just about to timidly ask about scales, so thanks for opening the wormhole. Once you start taking everyone's links to other threads and discussions you can kill HOURS of profitable playing time with the quest. It's been a fun way to be snowed in up here in the frozen Midwest. Thanks loads guys.

but think how good I could be in five years...
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Superman2048

I tried doing the scales in thirds, at 2:50 time, it went well for the C mayor scale but feels awkward doing it with other scales like G mayor scale. I'm not really sure where I have to put my fingers when there's a sharp or flat. Do I skip the sharps and flats and practice like the C mayor scale? I hope this all makes sense!

[Linked Image]

We might want to start at the beginning.....

C
C
Somewhat embarrassing aside… The Faber method books suggests that the student play the scales at 88, 112 and 144 BPM and place a check mark when each level is achieved. I’m running the G and F scales at home and having a devil of a time at 144 all week long. I go my lesson and report to the teacher that while I’ll try to play it for her at 144bpm I’m pretty sketchy at that speed. I start the metronome and as I begin to play she starts smiling and says it’s 144 quarter notes per minute, you were playing them as 8th notes so twice as fast.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by BruceD
If you "skip the sharps and flats" then you are not playing in the key signature! So, no; you can't skip the sharps or flats. At this stage, since you are self study and only started in September of last year, you should not try to play scales in thirds at the present time. Learn all your scales, major and minor, hands together (eventually) in unison, and one scale at a time before you plan to play scales separated by a third.

If you really think you need to do scales separated by a third, then I would suggest that you do some research and find a book of scales that shows you the proper fingering for all scales, including those separated by thirds and sixths.

Regards,

Hey Bruce thank you for the advice! I'll do the normal scales for now and take it from there. Personally I love Youtube videos they have helped me a lot! There's a tons of good information out there and tons of bad. Just like a teacher I imagine smile

Zach Evans has made a great 55 mins video about scales, I'll do it like him for now.

Last edited by Superman2048; 02/13/19 06:56 AM.

Alesis Recital Pro.
Self study.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Somewhat embarrassing aside… The Faber method books suggests that the student play the scales at 88, 112 and 144 BPM and place a check mark when each level is achieved. I’m running the G and F scales at home and having a devil of a time at 144 all week long. I go my lesson and report to the teacher that while I’ll try to play it for her at 144bpm I’m pretty sketchy at that speed. I start the metronome and as I begin to play she starts smiling and says it’s 144 quarter notes per minute, you were playing them as 8th notes so twice as fast.

I think there are many of us who have made similar mistakes. When I started out, I didn' think to check which kind of note should be played at a certain speed, like half note, quarter note, eighth note. I played all of them as quarter notes - also sometimes very surprised by the speed of a certain piece.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Zach Evans has made a great 55 mins video about scales, I'll do it like him for now.

I watched that video too! I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales. Feels good now to get some validation. Since watching that, I've started working on them. I have discipline issues, so I don't do it everyday. But something is better than nothing.

I play just one octave scales though. Two octaves make me finicky, and I end up spending way too much time. I have been doing the one octave scales in the major keys of C, G, D, A, and F. I have a question. Should I finish all major/minor keys in one octave first, or start with two octaves already? Just like Superman, I've been learning piano for 5 months now. (Never thought I'd say this sentence. This forum is fun.)

Think Twice, Play Once
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Tech-key
[...]
I play just one octave scales though. Two octaves make me finicky, and I end up spending way too much time. I have been doing the one octave scales in the major keys of C, G, D, A, and F. I have a question. Should I finish all major/minor keys in one octave first, or start with two octaves already? Just like Superman, I've been learning piano for 5 months now. (Never thought I'd say this sentence. This forum is fun.)

Even for relative beginners, I would recommend a minimum of two octaves for your scales. You need to get the feel of the fingering for starting the second octave which will not be with the same finger on which the first octave ends. From there, the traditional four-octave scale is easily within your reach.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've shared this before, and it's worth repeating. It's a great video for learning scales.

Last edited by Sibylle; 02/13/19 01:49 PM.
OP Offline

I watched that video too! I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales. Feels good now to get some validation. Since watching that, I've started working on them. I have discipline issues, so I don't do it everyday. But something is better than nothing.

Thanks for asking this question! Didn't know I needed it answered haha. Also, if you see Batman around here, tell him I'd like to talk to him. It's very personal and very complicated.

Even for relative beginners, I would recommend a minimum of two octaves for your scales. You need to get the feel of the fingering for starting the second octave which will not be with the same finger on which the first octave ends. From there, the traditional four-octave scale is easily within your reach.

Regards,

And thank you Bruce for the answer! Two octaves is pretty hard for me, does something funny with my brain but I'll practice it too.

Great video btw Sibylle thanks for sharing it!

Alesis Recital Pro.
Self study.
[...]

Regards,

Thanks for your advice, BruceD!

Thanks for asking this question! Didn't know I needed it answered haha. Also, if you see Batman around here, tell him I'd like to talk to him. It's very personal and very complicated.

ROFL. Well, why don't you ask BruceD. After all, he has the same first name as Batman laugh

Think Twice, Play Once
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales.

I can also be very impatient! When they just talk and don't demonstrate, I usually put the video on 1.5 speed. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Originally Posted by Animisha

I can also be very impatient! When they just talk and don't demonstrate, I usually put the video on 1.5 speed. smile

Yeah, I used to speed up all the videos I watched. I've stopped that entirely now, as it messes up with my expectations in the "real world" smile. As it is, I've very little patience with slow talkers.

Think Twice, Play Once
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha

Shhhhh!!! This is my secret for watching training videos at work!!!

Learner

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission