Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (Alan LJ, AnthonyPaulO, anotherscott, aphexdisklavier, anamnesis, atcsam, Barrasman, Animisha, BigIslandGuy, 20 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Practicing scales. #2814064
02/12/19 01:32 PM
02/12/19 01:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Superman2048 Offline OP
Full Member
Superman2048  Offline OP
Full Member

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Hello! I've found this video here Youtube and I wanted to know if this is a good way to do scales. Practising with the metronome sounds like a good idea. So does moving both hands together up and down (I only practised hands moving away and towards each other).
I tried doing the scales in thirds, at 2:50 time, it went well for the C mayor scale but feels awkward doing it with other scales like G mayor scale. I'm not really sure where I have to put my fingers when there's a sharp or flat. Do I skip the sharps and flats and practice like the C mayor scale? I hope this all makes sense!


26-09-2018 start piano practice.
Alesis Recital Pro.
Self study.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814099
02/12/19 02:45 PM
02/12/19 02:45 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
If you "skip the sharps and flats" then you are not playing in the key signature! So, no; you can't skip the sharps or flats. At this stage, since you are self study and only started in September of last year, you should not try to play scales in thirds at the present time. Learn all your scales, major and minor, hands together (eventually) in unison, and one scale at a time before you plan to play scales separated by a third.

If you really think you need to do scales separated by a third, then I would suggest that you do some research and find a book of scales that shows you the proper fingering for all scales, including those separated by thirds and sixths.

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814104
02/12/19 02:59 PM
02/12/19 02:59 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
I looked at your video after my above post and discovered that the presenter is not playing the scale "in thirds," at least not what is traditionally know as playing a scale in thirds. What he is doing is playing broken chords or triads, (notes separated by a third), and moving up the C major scale as the bottom note for each broken chord. Then, he does the same, separating the notes by a fourth.

There is an inherent danger in learning badly by trying to follow some Youtube videos when you don't understand what is being presented and when the presenter may not use traditional terminology or - in some cases - doesn't know what s/he's talking about. Use video instruction with caution!

This is a technique that I would suggest is more advanced that you need at the moment, unless you are completely comfortable playing your scales in unison, hands together.

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814106
02/12/19 03:00 PM
02/12/19 03:00 PM
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 757
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 757
Wisconsin, USA
Find a good teacher.


Bösendorfer 170
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Lakeviewsteve] #2814109
02/12/19 03:09 PM
02/12/19 03:09 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Find a good teacher.


"Amen" to that!

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814133
02/12/19 03:51 PM
02/12/19 03:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 122
Madison
H
HollyBytheLake Offline
Full Member
HollyBytheLake  Offline
Full Member
H

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 122
Madison
I was just about to timidly ask about scales, so thanks for opening the wormhole. Once you start taking everyone's links to other threads and discussions you can kill HOURS of profitable playing time with the quest. It's been a fun way to be snowed in up here in the frozen Midwest. Thanks loads guys.


but think how good I could be in five years...
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814145
02/12/19 04:20 PM
02/12/19 04:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 540
Z
Zaphod Offline
500 Post Club Member
Zaphod  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z

Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 540
Originally Posted by Superman2048

I tried doing the scales in thirds, at 2:50 time, it went well for the C mayor scale but feels awkward doing it with other scales like G mayor scale. I'm not really sure where I have to put my fingers when there's a sharp or flat. Do I skip the sharps and flats and practice like the C mayor scale? I hope this all makes sense!


[Linked Image]

We might want to start at the beginning.....

Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814150
02/12/19 04:37 PM
02/12/19 04:37 PM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 147
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Full Member
Chili_Time  Offline
Full Member
C

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 147
Tennessee
Somewhat embarrassing aside… The Faber method books suggests that the student play the scales at 88, 112 and 144 BPM and place a check mark when each level is achieved. I’m running the G and F scales at home and having a devil of a time at 144 all week long. I go my lesson and report to the teacher that while I’ll try to play it for her at 144bpm I’m pretty sketchy at that speed. I start the metronome and as I begin to play she starts smiling and says it’s 144 quarter notes per minute, you were playing them as 8th notes so twice as fast.


Started Playing October 1, 2017. First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115.
[Linked Image]
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: BruceD] #2814422
02/13/19 06:53 AM
02/13/19 06:53 AM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Superman2048 Offline OP
Full Member
Superman2048  Offline OP
Full Member

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by BruceD
If you "skip the sharps and flats" then you are not playing in the key signature! So, no; you can't skip the sharps or flats. At this stage, since you are self study and only started in September of last year, you should not try to play scales in thirds at the present time. Learn all your scales, major and minor, hands together (eventually) in unison, and one scale at a time before you plan to play scales separated by a third.

If you really think you need to do scales separated by a third, then I would suggest that you do some research and find a book of scales that shows you the proper fingering for all scales, including those separated by thirds and sixths.

Regards,


Hey Bruce thank you for the advice! I'll do the normal scales for now and take it from there. Personally I love Youtube videos they have helped me a lot! There's a tons of good information out there and tons of bad. Just like a teacher I imagine smile

Zach Evans has made a great 55 mins video about scales, I'll do it like him for now.

Last edited by Superman2048; 02/13/19 06:56 AM.

26-09-2018 start piano practice.
Alesis Recital Pro.
Self study.
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Chili_Time] #2814427
02/13/19 07:20 AM
02/13/19 07:20 AM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 434
Sweden
Animisha Online content
Full Member
Animisha  Online Content
Full Member

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 434
Sweden
Originally Posted by Chili_Time
Somewhat embarrassing aside… The Faber method books suggests that the student play the scales at 88, 112 and 144 BPM and place a check mark when each level is achieved. I’m running the G and F scales at home and having a devil of a time at 144 all week long. I go my lesson and report to the teacher that while I’ll try to play it for her at 144bpm I’m pretty sketchy at that speed. I start the metronome and as I begin to play she starts smiling and says it’s 144 quarter notes per minute, you were playing them as 8th notes so twice as fast.

I think there are many of us who have made similar mistakes. When I started out, I didn' think to check which kind of note should be played at a certain speed, like half note, quarter note, eighth note. I played all of them as quarter notes - also sometimes very surprised by the speed of a certain piece.


Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814481
02/13/19 10:27 AM
02/13/19 10:27 AM
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 307
India
Tech-key Offline
Full Member
Tech-key  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 307
India
Originally Posted by Superman2048
Zach Evans has made a great 55 mins video about scales, I'll do it like him for now.

I watched that video too! I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales. Feels good now to get some validation. Since watching that, I've started working on them. I have discipline issues, so I don't do it everyday. But something is better than nothing.

I play just one octave scales though. Two octaves make me finicky, and I end up spending way too much time. I have been doing the one octave scales in the major keys of C, G, D, A, and F. I have a question. Should I finish all major/minor keys in one octave first, or start with two octaves already? Just like Superman, I've been learning piano for 5 months now. (Never thought I'd say this sentence. This forum is fun.)


Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Tech-key] #2814525
02/13/19 12:37 PM
02/13/19 12:37 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 22,419
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Tech-key
[...]
I play just one octave scales though. Two octaves make me finicky, and I end up spending way too much time. I have been doing the one octave scales in the major keys of C, G, D, A, and F. I have a question. Should I finish all major/minor keys in one octave first, or start with two octaves already? Just like Superman, I've been learning piano for 5 months now. (Never thought I'd say this sentence. This forum is fun.)


Even for relative beginners, I would recommend a minimum of two octaves for your scales. You need to get the feel of the fingering for starting the second octave which will not be with the same finger on which the first octave ends. From there, the traditional four-octave scale is easily within your reach.

Regards,


BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Superman2048] #2814566
02/13/19 01:48 PM
02/13/19 01:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 402
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Full Member
Sibylle  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 402
Ireland
I've shared this before, and it's worth repeating. It's a great video for learning scales.


Last edited by Sibylle; 02/13/19 01:49 PM.

Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: BruceD] #2814578
02/13/19 01:58 PM
02/13/19 01:58 PM
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Superman2048 Offline OP
Full Member
Superman2048  Offline OP
Full Member

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by Tech-key

I watched that video too! I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales. Feels good now to get some validation. Since watching that, I've started working on them. I have discipline issues, so I don't do it everyday. But something is better than nothing.

I play just one octave scales though. Two octaves make me finicky, and I end up spending way too much time. I have been doing the one octave scales in the major keys of C, G, D, A, and F. I have a question. Should I finish all major/minor keys in one octave first, or start with two octaves already? Just like Superman, I've been learning piano for 5 months now. (Never thought I'd say this sentence. This forum is fun.)


Thanks for asking this question! Didn't know I needed it answered haha. Also, if you see Batman around here, tell him I'd like to talk to him. It's very personal and very complicated.


Originally Posted by BruceD

Even for relative beginners, I would recommend a minimum of two octaves for your scales. You need to get the feel of the fingering for starting the second octave which will not be with the same finger on which the first octave ends. From there, the traditional four-octave scale is easily within your reach.

Regards,


And thank you Bruce for the answer! Two octaves is pretty hard for me, does something funny with my brain but I'll practice it too.

Great video btw Sibylle thanks for sharing it!


26-09-2018 start piano practice.
Alesis Recital Pro.
Self study.
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: BruceD] #2814589
02/13/19 02:18 PM
02/13/19 02:18 PM
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 307
India
Tech-key Offline
Full Member
Tech-key  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 307
India
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Tech-key
[...]
I play just one octave scales though. Two octaves make me finicky, and I end up spending way too much time. I have been doing the one octave scales in the major keys of C, G, D, A, and F. I have a question. Should I finish all major/minor keys in one octave first, or start with two octaves already? Just like Superman, I've been learning piano for 5 months now. (Never thought I'd say this sentence. This forum is fun.)

Even for relative beginners, I would recommend a minimum of two octaves for your scales. You need to get the feel of the fingering for starting the second octave which will not be with the same finger on which the first octave ends. From there, the traditional four-octave scale is easily within your reach.

Regards,

Thanks for your advice, BruceD!

Originally Posted by Superman2048
Thanks for asking this question! Didn't know I needed it answered haha. Also, if you see Batman around here, tell him I'd like to talk to him. It's very personal and very complicated.

ROFL. Well, why don't you ask BruceD. After all, he has the same first name as Batman laugh


Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Tech-key] #2814623
02/13/19 03:07 PM
02/13/19 03:07 PM
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 434
Sweden
Animisha Online content
Full Member
Animisha  Online Content
Full Member

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 434
Sweden
Originally Posted by Tech-key
I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales.

I can also be very impatient! When they just talk and don't demonstrate, I usually put the video on 1.5 speed. smile


Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Animisha] #2814906
02/14/19 02:25 AM
02/14/19 02:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 307
India
Tech-key Offline
Full Member
Tech-key  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 307
India
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by Tech-key
I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales.

I can also be very impatient! When they just talk and don't demonstrate, I usually put the video on 1.5 speed. smile

Yeah, I used to speed up all the videos I watched. I've stopped that entirely now, as it messes up with my expectations in the "real world" smile. As it is, I've very little patience with slow talkers.


Think Twice, Play Once
Re: Practicing scales. [Re: Animisha] #2815035
02/14/19 10:14 AM
02/14/19 10:14 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,119
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,119
*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by Tech-key
I thought I was wasting time watching a 55 mins video on scales.

I can also be very impatient! When they just talk and don't demonstrate, I usually put the video on 1.5 speed. smile



Shhhhh!!! This is my secret for watching training videos at work!!!


Learner

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
LX series: volume difference
by PianoStartsAt33. 04/25/19 07:21 AM
Ravenscroft 275 Latency
by jamiecw. 04/25/19 05:11 AM
Most 'authentic' weighted action in a DP?
by BigIslandGuy. 04/25/19 03:10 AM
Pianos Had a Workout Saturday
by astrotoy. 04/24/19 11:54 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics191,656
Posts2,821,588
Members93,145
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.2