Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (AZNpiano, Animisha, CadenzaVvi, ando, AnnInMiami, Compañero, AntOnYou8, accordeur, 15 invisible), 879 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sojin upright - is it doomed? #2813893
02/12/19 03:12 AM
02/12/19 03:12 AM
Scotland
S
ShyPianist Offline OP
ShyPianist  Offline OP
S

Scotland
Hi all

I wonder if I posted in the wrong forum with this question because I got no replies. 😢 Sorry if it’s bad form to post the same question again.

So I have just figured out this (Sojin, 33 years old) is what I have (the nameplate is “Eichner”). It was swapped by a piano shop back in the early 2000s in return for a Weber boudoir grand which I could no longer accommodate. The deal was done by my parents, I thought it might have been a bad deal at the time and now I’m sure it was!

After more than 20 years I really want to pick up my playing seriously again. Question, will this piano be a hindrance? I’ve already figured that it doesn’t hold its tune terribly well and the dampers seem uneven. The piano tuner has always been a bit non-committal about it as an instrument but as I wasn’t playing much I never pressed him too much.

Am I likely to need to budget for a new piano, basically?

I will add that after I originally posted this I had a good poke around the piano and I’ve been playing it a lot in the last few weeks and enjoying the tone more than I remembered. I’m starting to feel a bit guilty for saying bad things about it so I’d love for my fears to be misplaced!

Last edited by ShyPianist; 02/12/19 03:13 AM.

Returning pianist. Mum of two.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Sojin upright - is it doomed? [Re: ShyPianist] #2813919
02/12/19 04:58 AM
02/12/19 04:58 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Offline
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by ShyPianist
Hi all

I wonder if I posted in the wrong forum with this question because I got no replies. 😢 Sorry if it’s bad form to post the same question again.

So I have just figured out this (Sojin, 33 years old) is what I have (the nameplate is “Eichner”). It was swapped by a piano shop back in the early 2000s in return for a Weber boudoir grand which I could no longer accommodate. The deal was done by my parents, I thought it might have been a bad deal at the time and now I’m sure it was!

After more than 20 years I really want to pick up my playing seriously again. Question, will this piano be a hindrance? I’ve already figured that it doesn’t hold its tune terribly well and the dampers seem uneven. The piano tuner has always been a bit non-committal about it as an instrument but as I wasn’t playing much I never pressed him too much.

Am I likely to need to budget for a new piano, basically?

I will add that after I originally posted this I had a good poke around the piano and I’ve been playing it a lot in the last few weeks and enjoying the tone more than I remembered. I’m starting to feel a bit guilty for saying bad things about it so I’d love for my fears to be misplaced!

Playing seriously again. Doesn’t hold tune. Non committal feedback back from tuner.

I think you know the answer.

Ask your tuner, is (s)he also a tech who can provide you with a report on the condition of the piano and what is needed to bring it up to scratch. Or recommend such a tech. Compare the cost of that with the cost of a replacement and any emotional attachment you have to the Sojin. Even then you might not like Sojin!

New beginnings, new piano.

Last edited by spanishbuddha; 02/12/19 04:59 AM.
Re: Sojin upright - is it doomed? [Re: ShyPianist] #2813920
02/12/19 05:12 AM
02/12/19 05:12 AM
Scotland
S
ShyPianist Offline OP
ShyPianist  Offline OP
S

Scotland
I think you’re right I probably do know the answer in some ways, but I’m also wondering if I’m being too harsh on the poor thing. (It could always be simply a case of the bad workman blaming his tools! 😉) I’m having it tuned in a couple of weeks. The good news is that although individual notes sound well dodgy it’s still at concert pitch.

I simply can’t afford a new piano that’s the thing. I can’t justify such an expense for what now, sadly, can never be more than a serious hobby. My very first post on this forum (only this last weekend!) was to ask about digital pianos as I tried to figure out if that would be a viable alternative for me. I’m wondering if a digital with a decent action might actually be better for my technique. I guess I also need to go try some decent uprights so I can find out how bad or otherwise this one might be, since it’s been twenty years since I played any other instrument.

Last edited by ShyPianist; 02/12/19 05:13 AM.

Returning pianist. Mum of two.
Re: Sojin upright - is it doomed? [Re: ShyPianist] #2813999
02/12/19 09:35 AM
02/12/19 09:35 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
I've gone the way of starting out humble with my piano playing adventures and climbing the ladder to better and better instruments. I've also learned that some members here will criticize a certain name brand just because, without ever seeing and playing that particular instrument. I've also learned that you can't paint a certain brand with a broad brush that says all of them are trash, or all of them are fantastic. There are exceptions to every rule, and some of the best brands in the world can have inherent problems that can't be rectified; they call them lemons where I'm from, and that's not the name brand. smile

So, with that said, I would get an independent tech, hopefully as unbiased as possible, to evaluate the piano for you and give you their opinion. It does indeed sound to me like the dealer may not have done your family justice with the trade-in, but it is not my place to judge without all the facts.

If it will hold a tuning for a while, and is playable, you may want to just keep it till you can do better. It cost money to trade-up, every time, and in some cases, a lot of money. Your suggestion about getting a digital with a good action may well be a better option for you. But that will cost you as well. Thing is, if you get the digital, you can start saving the money you'd spend on tunings, toward a better acoustic piano. And, regardless of how good a piano is, there is always a better one to be had, and at a higher cost of course...

Just my .02 (which costs .00 smile )

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Sojin upright - is it doomed? [Re: ShyPianist] #2814058
02/12/19 12:23 PM
02/12/19 12:23 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
I agree with Rickster .Keep it take your time and look around till something else comes up .I am happy you are back to playing again !
Making music is the main thing .

Re: Sojin upright - is it doomed? [Re: ShyPianist] #2814225
02/12/19 06:20 PM
02/12/19 06:20 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

My very first post on this forum (only this last weekend!) was to ask about digital pianos as I tried to figure out if that would be a viable alternative for me. I’m wondering if a digital with a decent action might actually be better for my technique.

It could even be better for your technique depend on the digital in question and the acoustic you are comparing that digital too.

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Sojin upright - is it doomed? [Re: ShyPianist] #2814574
02/13/19 12:57 PM
02/13/19 12:57 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
I’ve already figured that it doesn’t hold its tune terribly well

Ask your tuner about giving it a cyanoacrylate treatment -- inexpensive, and well worth doing if you want to sell it.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Sojin upright - is it doomed? [Re: ShyPianist] #2814700
02/13/19 04:03 PM
02/13/19 04:03 PM
North Vancouver
L
Lady Bird Online content
500 Post Club Member
Lady Bird  Online Content
500 Post Club Member
L

North Vancouver
It sounds like something I should use .,especially for the days I feel I
do not have the same amount GO as I used to .

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater Keyboard Deals
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
New Topics - Multiple Forums
So... how do you clean the keyboard?
by JimB1. 02/20/19 09:36 PM
Double striking issue
by jsilva. 02/20/19 07:03 PM
Storing piano packaging
by KevinM. 02/20/19 06:59 PM
The Piano Tuner (Pianos Forever Film)
by cathryn999. 02/20/19 06:43 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics190,414
Posts2,797,786
Members92,534
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission