2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
46 members (Beowulf, Ajax69, CyberGene, Carey, David Lai, 3B43, clothearednincompo, Beemer, 11 invisible), 470 guests, and 416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Need Review (Pearl River gp148)
#2812876 02/09/19 09:50 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hello, I'm playing piano for 8 years (digital piano) and I finally want to upgrade to
an acoustic piano (a baby grand if possible). I found a Pearl River gp148 matching
with our budget. But I'm a little bit confused because it is an "early level" piano,
and I want to play pieces like La Campanella, Winter Wind etc. and prepare for
competitions. I am still going to go and check the piano myself but I want your
reviews about this baby grand too. Is it nice for a person who wants to play
advanced pieces and prepare for competitions? Or is it just a piano for beginners?
I have some options like Yamaha U1 too but they are way more expensive. Also, I
really want a piano with grand action, and Pearl River gp148 is the only one we can
afford for now. Any reviews appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Ada Yirik; 02/09/19 09:51 PM.
Re: Need Review (Pearl River gp148)
Ada Yirik #2812906 02/09/19 10:55 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Hi Ada -

Welcome to Piano World.

Is the GP148 you are considering NEW or USED? I'm assuming it is used, as the smallest grand currently made by Pearl River is the GP150 (4'11").

But if it is new, have you considered finding a larger, higher quality used instrument?

Pearl River pianos in general are considered to be Economy pianos. See chart in Pianobuyer:

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Articles/Detail/ArticleID/242

This doesn't mean that they are necessarily bad, but 1) you usually get what you pay for, and 2) for an advanced pianist they might not be completely satisfactory (particularly the smaller models).

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Resources/Piano-Brands-Profiles/Detail/ArticleId/93/Brand/PEARL-RIVER

Another possibility worth considering in your price range is the Kawai GL-10 (new). It has the same action as Kawai's higher end models.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Resources/Piano-Brands-Profiles/Detail/ArticleId/83/Brand/KAWAI

I've found the smaller Hailun - new or used - grand piano models to be rather impressive and affordable (assuming they are available in your part of the world).

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Resources/Piano-Brands-Profiles/Detail/ArticleId/74/Brand/HAILUN

Both the Ritmuller GH-148 (built by Pearl River) and the Weber W-150 (built by Young Chang) have received good reviews and might be worth considering. But again, I don't know how well they'd hold up over time having advanced repertoire played on them.

https://www.pianobuyer.com/Articles/Detail/ArticleId/243/The-New-Piano-Market-Today-Staff-Picks

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Carey #2812914 02/09/19 11:27 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for your answer. First of all, I am looking for the used ones because we don't have enough money for a new piano. (In Turkey, our budget is around $4.765 if I convert it to USD). And that Pearl River was actually the only baby grand I could find around that price. So I actually don't know what to do, maybe I just have to give up on the grand action and buy a nice&cheap upright...

Ada Yirik #2812923 02/09/19 11:59 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Ada Yirik
Thanks for your answer. First of all, I am looking for the used ones because we don't have enough money for a new piano. (In Turkey, our budget is around $4.765 if I convert it to USD). And that Pearl River was actually the only baby grand I could find around that price. So I actually don't know what to do, maybe I just have to give up on the grand action and buy a nice&cheap upright...
I understand your situation. You should certainly go and see the Pearl River and decide if it will meet your needs. But perhaps you can find a higher quality used upright in good condition that might be more satisfactory. In graduate school, I did the vast majority of my practicing on an upright, and I was able to successfully learn advanced repertoire. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no knowledge of the piano market in Istanbul, so it is difficult to advise you. However, I would encourage you to use the Pianobuyer as a resource when evaluating different brands, and also to have any piano you are seriously considering checked out by piano technician.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Ada Yirik #2812933 02/10/19 12:18 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

I'm going to be chased out of this acoustic piano forum wink but with your budget, have you thought about a good digital with an acoustic grand action? A used Yamaha Avantgrand might be around that price, and it does have a double escapement action.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2812945 02/10/19 01:02 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I'm going to be chased out of this acoustic piano forum wink but with your budget, have you thought about a good digital with an acoustic grand action? A used Yamaha Avantgrand might be around that price, and it does have a double escapement action.
Actually, that's a good suggestion. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Ada Yirik #2812956 02/10/19 01:37 AM
K
K
You dont want PL playing that level of repetoire. You are going to drive it into the ground. I know because I went that route because it was in my budget too. It lasted about a month with me hammering on it. It had constant problems with friction even with different techs looking at it. In fact that is a common complaint with a lot of chinese made grands.

If all you need is the grand action, get the yamaha avant grand N1 and use it with something like garritan cfx for a better quality sound.

II had a $9k budget to start for a grand, and now that is up to $22k. In my honest opinion you are going to have a heck of a time finding any acoustic grand under $15k that can handle what you need

Last edited by kokatla; 02/10/19 01:38 AM.
Ada Yirik #2812958 02/10/19 01:56 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
and I want to play pieces like La Campanella, Winter Wind etc. and prepare for competitions.

With regard to my earlier recommendation of a used hybrid digital, take a look at this new post on the digital forum about the capabilities of the current generation of hybrid digitals.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Ada Yirik #2813875 02/12/19 02:24 AM
A
A
Hi Ada,

Having been in a similar situation to yours some years ago. I would recommend an upright: good quality tall uprights are imo better than mos small grands (certainly anything smaller than 170cm or so). I owned a Petrof 131 upright (their largest) for 20 years and was consistently disappointed when I had to play small budget grands.

Someone mentioned Yamaha U1 which would be a good choice : others to look at in your budget are kawai, Petrof, W. Hoffman, Estonia, probably a few others I cant think of right now.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2
Casio PX-870
Former owner of Petrof 131
PianoWorld Member/Lurker since 2002

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP Buyer Needs Help :-)
by Badger1966 - 10/21/20 09:12 AM
Kawai es920 - record onto Android Smartphone
by big-vern - 10/21/20 04:51 AM
MP11SE in stock at bhphoto.com
by mivaldes - 10/20/20 10:35 PM
most common non ET temperaments in 2020?
by MartF - 10/20/20 08:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,335
Posts3,015,689
Members98,966
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission