2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
30 members (FloRi89, EVC2017, CyberGene, Greta99, clothearednincompo, 1957, Hammertime, Chouca, Deltajockey, 8 invisible), 406 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pedal non-slip thingie
#2813647 02/11/19 04:53 PM
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 627
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 627
I made a thingie. smile I was tired of my pedal slipping around all the time, so here's what I came up with:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13r2uwyebXQGTgSh5lMS7wPtdDPYvwgGd

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1byZJsqDI_1bGjXFWosLDthMVxkgE-ZtL

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uCDHU2R7Gk8kqR7CKOVzcVHwAfOTxlJl

It's just a board, with a couple of little pieces of board at the back for the pedal to butt up against (and a little gap for the cord to go through), and then some of that generic under-carpet non-slip mat glued to both sides with Gorilla glue (I went a little crazy on the underside as you can see, but I just made sure it was completely dry before I put it on the floor). My heel goes on the end of it, and holds it down as I use it. Works like a charm!


Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Casio CDP-130
On Order: Yamaha MX61
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 6 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4, Vibes, Xylo), Roland KC-80
Re: pedal non-slip thingie
TheophilusCarter #2813656 02/11/19 05:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,432
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,432
Great DIY for an irksome problem! I wish some other piano pedal manufacturers would take note of Roland's design (it has a rubber foot that swings out under the pedal to make a long pad, basically what you've designed here.) Maybe you should patent your contraption and license it to Yamaha and Kawai laugh


Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: pedal non-slip thingie
TheophilusCarter #2813673 02/11/19 05:34 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,932
G
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,932
Agreed. I have an FC3A, which is a nice pedal, but itt has a rounded back with the cable extended directly out the back. Even if I have the pedal against the back wall, it still doesn't sit straight, and it crimps the cable. I ended up 3D-printing a small block with a flat back and cable routing notch so I can rest the pedal against the wall. If it had the Roland swing-out thing, I probably wouldn't have needed to bother.


Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: pedal non-slip thingie
TheophilusCarter #2813705 02/11/19 06:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 86
D
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
D
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 86
Thank you, I am going to build one of these. I have wood floors and the pedal is constantly moving around.

Re: pedal non-slip thingie
dcupright #2813711 02/11/19 06:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 627
T
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
T
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by squidbot
Great DIY for an irksome problem! I wish some other piano pedal manufacturers would take note of Roland's design (it has a rubber foot that swings out under the pedal to make a long pad, basically what you've designed here.) Maybe you should patent your contraption and license it to Yamaha and Kawai laugh


Great idea! It'll probably make more money for me than my current job ... wink

Originally Posted by Gombessa
Agreed. I have an FC3A, which is a nice pedal, but itt has a rounded back with the cable extended directly out the back. Even if I have the pedal against the back wall, it still doesn't sit straight, and it crimps the cable.


Yep, I was running into that too, to the extent that it broke the cable, which I then had to trim and re-solder. That's what finally prompted me to figure something out ...

Originally Posted by dcupright
Thank you, I am going to build one of these.


If I can do it, so can you! laugh


Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Casio CDP-130
On Order: Yamaha MX61
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 6 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4, Vibes, Xylo), Roland KC-80
Re: pedal non-slip thingie
TheophilusCarter #2813725 02/11/19 06:58 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,268
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,268

Yup, been there, done that. It also protects your floor from wear and abrasion. Good idea.


-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: pedal non-slip thingie
TheophilusCarter #2814010 02/12/19 11:03 AM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 614
K
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 614
I did the same thing but since I gig with mine and use an expression pedal and have a two tiered system, I took a plastic shelf from small a storage organizer I was throwing out and glued velcro on it. And I put the other strip of velcro on the pedals. Then I glued a square of old shower mat to the bottom side of the shelf. And I use a drawstring bag I got at Walmart to transport it. It sticks to any surface due to the little suction cups on the mat side, and the pedals do not slip. I transport it with pedals and cables attached. I have got probably less than $5 dollars into it total since everything but the velcro, glue and bag are recycled. I've had it at least 20 years.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 02/12/19 11:05 AM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
Re: pedal non-slip thingie
TheophilusCarter #2814822 02/13/19 08:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,376
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,376
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
I made a thingie. smile I was tired of my pedal slipping around all the time, so here's what I came up with:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13r2uwyebXQGTgSh5lMS7wPtdDPYvwgGd

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1byZJsqDI_1bGjXFWosLDthMVxkgE-ZtL

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uCDHU2R7Gk8kqR7CKOVzcVHwAfOTxlJl

It's just a board, with a couple of little pieces of board at the back for the pedal to butt up against (and a little gap for the cord to go through), and then some of that generic under-carpet non-slip mat glued to both sides with Gorilla glue (I went a little crazy on the underside as you can see, but I just made sure it was completely dry before I put it on the floor). My heel goes on the end of it, and holds it down as I use it. Works like a charm!


Very interesting, that's what I need for dp, my pedal keep moving.



“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann


Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Key Linkage, instead of Key Pivot ?
by Charles Cohen - 10/24/20 09:02 PM
Thumping sound from keys
by MsTwinkle - 10/24/20 06:48 PM
Korg D1 fault
by MrButcher - 10/24/20 04:41 PM
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,387
Posts3,016,853
Members99,010
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads



 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4