2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2812630 02/09/19 10:18 AM
B
Behro Offline OP
OP Offline
B
hi. i recently aquired an old fritz kuhla upright piano. i loved how it looked but i didnt realize how old it was. ive talked to people about the serial number 29958 and im told it dates between 1911 and 1920. im having a very hard time finding any information myself about the manufacturer and im not really sure why.

i would kind of like to get a rough value estimate on it as it has a few problems that im going to be attempting to repair myself. stuff like a stuck key, sticking hammer, and seems to have some issues holding its tune that i really hope just gets better the more i keep it tuned. i know a couple of the strings seem to slip out very far in a day or two so im guessing im going to have some issues with the pegs themselves.

just wondering first if anyone has any information. on fritz kuhla berlin as far as possible value or history. and also if anyone has any tips or hints about working on these pianos i would very much appeciate it. ive seen some videos on usings CA glue for the pegs but i definitely would like to know more about it first.

and before anyone asks.... i got the piano free.... paid about 350 to move it to my house.... and am invested about 50 bucks in tuning tools.and such. im not looking to sink money into it. really just looking for a diy project of love that i can have to make it sound as nice as possible. it truly is in good shape for its age i think.

any help or resources are much appreciated. thanks!!!!

sorry no pics yet as i cannot directly post them on here. cheers!

behr

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Upright pianos don't hold their value well, even if they don't have issues. At 100+ years old, the amount you paid to have it moved to your house is more than the piano is worth, especially taking into account the issues present.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
B
B
Hi there. It's been a couple months since your post, but I thought I 'd mention, that from what you're saying about some strings losing tune quickly, it sounds like you may have a cracked pin block. If it is, then from what I understand, unless the piano is really special, it's not worth the time and money to fix. It might be worth a really close look at that to see what's up before putting much more into the piano. Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission