Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (accordeur, Animisha, Adypiano, barbaram, Andymania, amad23, anotherscott, Andrew_G, 26 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: sara elizabeth] #2811691
02/06/19 11:06 PM
02/06/19 11:06 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by jdw
4-5 pm. I need tea and a snack before the lesson. I 'm lucky to have a flexible work schedule.
I have a flexible retirement! I think late afternoon would work for me, but it would be late in the day for my teacher, who starts the day at something like 4 a.m.

Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
My lesson is now at 6pm, which is great for me. I have enough time to get home, have a little snack and run through my pieces. I used to have 8:30 pm lessons and that was a bit late. I was tired, my teacher was tired.. it was okay but not ideal.
I was wondering if people who had evening lessons, after their work day, ran into issues with either themselves or their teacher being tired after a long day. It would certainly add some extra strain to the lesson.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2811695
02/06/19 11:16 PM
02/06/19 11:16 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Stubbie
I was wondering if people who had evening lessons, after their work day, ran into issues with either themselves

Not here. I mostly do all my piano practicing between midnight and 2am anyways. I rarely practice before 11pm. So my lessons are in the earlier part of my day.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2811697
02/06/19 11:20 PM
02/06/19 11:20 PM
upstate NY
zillybug Offline
zillybug  Offline

upstate NY
Yes, the school has several group classes at different levels. We are fairly close in level and we are the oldest and range in age from a youngster who is in her forties, one in her 60’s, 3 of us in our 70’s and the oldest who is 81. Two work full time. I work part time and the others are retired although the oldest still does pro bono work for legal aid and helps a lot with her grandchildren. I really enjoy all these ladies. Two have been taking the class for 10 years or more. I returned about 7 years ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2811698
02/06/19 11:26 PM
02/06/19 11:26 PM
Finland
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
I was wondering if people who had evening lessons, after their work day, ran into issues with either themselves or their teacher being tired after a long day. It would certainly add some extra strain to the lesson.

Yes, many times I have been tired or even annoyed (especially if I had no time to eat and have low blood sugar). My work can get pretty hectic at times. It leads to inability to concentrate on my lesson and memory issues. Now that I know myself better I will ask my teacher to work with more technical things (like fingerings) instead of trying to play. As long as we focus on problem solving and new things I am usually fine. I may have some trouble following her explanations at a lesson but I always get it later at home. We actually discussed this yesterday: My concentration is always on-off, I am either fully focused on what I am doing or not able to concentrate at all. So on bad days we need to find something that draws me in and then it's fine. I still occasionally leave my lesson disappointed and feeling it was a waste of time due to my bad mood, but I forget quickly and move on to find something positive smile

My teacher I could never tell, she's too much of a professional to let it show.

BTW. For 6 years I had my lesson on Monday. It seemed like a good day because I could practice well on weekends. I now changed it to Wednesday and it seems like a good thing. Somehow Mondays are always taxing at work...

Last edited by outo; 02/06/19 11:40 PM.
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Chili_Time] #2811708
02/07/19 12:01 AM
02/07/19 12:01 AM
Virginia
D
DFSRN Offline
500 Post Club Member
DFSRN  Offline
500 Post Club Member
D

Virginia
I agree, I need time to warm up, I have lessons 7-9 two days a week. If I do not warm up, I do not think my lesson goes as well. I just can't sit down and play. My teacher is really engaged, for the piano day we have done duets (one piano) and 2 pianos 4 hands. He is a drummer as well, as teaches it at the school, so sometimes I have a piece where he accompanies me on the drums. I generally don't feel tired, my lessons go so fast, the two hours just speed by. I don't notice the teacher being tired, I am his last lesson those days, but he works part-time teaching piano. After lessons he sometimes plays at a /restaurant/bar or has what he calls "jam sessions" at this home. He works as a choir and orchestra director at a church. He breathes music.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2811717
02/07/19 12:54 AM
02/07/19 12:54 AM
Quebec city, QC
CadenzaVvi Offline
CadenzaVvi  Offline

Quebec city, QC
Having lessons in the evening, after a day of work, is not a problem for me. As stated, I'm a night owl, and I always have energy at night (I'm often very tired in the morning and struggle to get up, but at 9pm, I almost never feel tired!). It is sometime a curse since I'd like to be able to go to bed earlier so I struggle less in the morning, ahah. But at least I found a job where I can start kind of late (10am).

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2811761
02/07/19 06:04 AM
02/07/19 06:04 AM
B
barbaram Online content

1000 Post Club Member
barbaram  Online Content

1000 Post Club Member
B

I had lessons 5.15-6.00, straight after work, for a couple of years. That was fine, it was in a music school fairly close to work, but I did often find myself arriving a bit wound up rushing from work, and it would take me a few minutes to settle.
Sine October I have a lesson 1.00 - 2.00, which is a lovely time to have it in terms of energy, alertness, etc. but requires quite a bit of juggling of my work schedule. It's only every second week, I work at home that day, and it's about a 15 min bike ride or <10 min drive from home so it's a stretched lunch break. I'm lucky to have a lot of flexibility, and I haven't had to miss one yet due to work scheduling issues, but it's sure to happen (and I have it mentally factored in when I pay the fees!). Even though I am still technically coming "from work", it feels totally different when physically coming from home.

Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812044
02/07/19 05:52 PM
02/07/19 05:52 PM
Tennessee
C
Chili_Time Offline
Chili_Time  Offline
C

Tennessee

No, the lesson kind of energizes me and since it is at 7pm both the teacher and I get dinner before the lesson. I don't think I would do as well if I did not have an hour to play before my lesson. I've gone to the lesson cold twice when I had something kept me from "warming up" at home and I didn't play very well. So I just feel more relaxed and prepared after the warm up. My hat is off to those of you who can go in cold and play.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 02/07/19 05:54 PM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Currently in Faber Piano Adventures Book 3a. Yamaha P-115. I play a little bass guitar also.
[Linked Image]
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812072
02/07/19 07:00 PM
02/07/19 07:00 PM
T
TomInCinci Offline
TomInCinci  Offline
T

I was always that last student of they day for both guitar and piano. My teachers were working musicians so this meant that they canceled probably 10-15% of the time for a gig. I never gave them grief over it and always wished them well.

Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812104
02/07/19 08:48 PM
02/07/19 08:48 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Weekly 1-hour lesson at 12pm. I have tried 6pm thereafter...my brain is too tired to focus.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812208
02/08/19 05:28 AM
02/08/19 05:28 AM
S
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline
S

My lesson ( one hour bi-weekly ) is mid-afternoon on Wednesdays. As far as an ideal time of day goes, I'm pretty flexible, but for sure the earlier the better for me! Evenings would kill me...

The more relevant point is where the lesson falls in context to my day ( as Stubbie was wondering ). I go to my lesson immediately after I get off work from a loud, active, and often stressful public school environment. I have a 20 minute drive to get there, and I have to work really hard to quiet my mind and body in order to be able to have a productive lesson....some days it's not easy! It's the only time I can fit in a lesson though, or obviously I'd change it.

The end of my two years of lessons that I saved for is Looming Large...after June I have to stop ( at least for a while ). So I guess I won't have to worry about it....sigh

Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: SuzyUpright] #2812267
02/08/19 10:46 AM
02/08/19 10:46 AM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by SuzyUpright
[....]The end of my two years of lessons that I saved for is Looming Large...after June I have to stop ( at least for a while ). So I guess I won't have to worry about it....sigh
Oh no! I'm impressed with your determination and dedication. I hope you're able to get back to lessons after only a short break.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812308
02/08/19 12:06 PM
02/08/19 12:06 PM
MARINE CITY
mrshaund Offline
mrshaund  Offline

MARINE CITY
Just curious. If you take lessons, what time of day is your lesson? What time of day would be ideal for you (and why)?

My lessons this semester are at 11:00 a.m., which is a good time for me with respect to having my brain and body halfway functioning. I do think I need to eat a bit of something before the lesson, in addition to the couple of cups of coffee.

I have mine Fridays at 1230 PM My lunch at work

Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: SuzyUpright] #2812311
02/08/19 12:14 PM
02/08/19 12:14 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by SuzyUpright
The end of my two years of lessons that I saved for is Looming Large...after June I have to stop ( at least for a while ). So I guess I won't have to worry about it....sigh

Something you might work on with your teacher before your lessons go on hiatus is to develop a learning plan for piano during the break in lessons. In my mind, there should be no reason you can't make some progress, when you are not taking lessons. Another thing is considering at least doing one lesson every few months as some sort of checkpoint. Your current teacher might even agree to that.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812405
02/08/19 03:11 PM
02/08/19 03:11 PM
S
SuzyUpright Offline
SuzyUpright  Offline
S

Thank you both for your words of encouragement smile
I will definitely be asking for an exit plan of sorts...and occasional lessons will happen down the road at the very least.

I'm hoping to coast awhile going over the pieces I've had lessons in...especially ones I had trouble with, or moved on from for the sake of time.

Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812444
02/08/19 05:25 PM
02/08/19 05:25 PM
Chicago
P
Pau Gasol Offline
Pau Gasol  Offline
P

Chicago

That would be my worry too. I'm a morning person so by 8:00 in the evening I'd rather be finished for the day and winding down. I would nod off if I shut my eyes!

I recall the day of week made a big difference in my lessons. I never liked it when my teacher moved them from Thursdays up to Wednesdays and finally to Tuesdays. It was my own fault - I rarely practiced on the weekends and a Thursday lesson gave me a lot more practicing time each week before my lesson vs. having a Tuesday lesson.

Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812585
02/09/19 06:16 AM
02/09/19 06:16 AM
Cumbria, England
elenmirie Offline
elenmirie  Offline

Cumbria, England
I have a weekly 45 minutes Mondays at 4:00 PM. I work from home and the lessons are online, so there's no travel time. I pack up work at 3:00 on a Monday and use the hour to warm up. On other days I work until 4:00 and practice after that, so it's only a small adjustment to my normal routine.

I'm a morning person, so sometimes I'm low on energy in the afternoon, however knowing I have a lesson coming up puts the wind back in my sails! laugh

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Re: Piano lesson--time of day? [Re: Stubbie] #2812600
02/09/19 08:17 AM
02/09/19 08:17 AM
Japan
L
lunobili Offline
lunobili  Offline
L

Japan
My lessons are mostly on Wednesdays at 19:30.

I get back from work, practice a few minutes, maybe eat something and then go to the lesson. It is less than ten minutes walking from home.

Occasionally my teacher asks me to move the lesson on other days. I believe it is because she needs to rehearse for her concerts. I gladly accommodate because she is the nicest person in the world and she deserves it, but also because she will do the same with me on the rare occasion when I need to reschedule myself.

Luca

Last edited by lunobili; 02/09/19 08:18 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help for University course
by Bln99. 10/15/19 08:31 AM
raise up tuning in 20 minutes?
by Andymania. 10/15/19 07:53 AM
Input on NY Steinway D rebuild
by Erchoukyrie. 10/15/19 07:52 AM
[UK] Ivory Act 2018
by etherline. 10/15/19 07:43 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,530
Posts2,879,282
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission