Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
113 registered members (accordeur, Animisha, Adypiano, barbaram, Andymania, amad23, anotherscott, Andrew_G, 27 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2810889
02/05/19 08:20 AM
02/05/19 08:20 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Online content
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Online Content
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by SiFi
Would love to see you and all your friends there! I'll be the bloke playing the piano (I think it's a Boston 7 foot, or maybe bigger).

And this wonderful performance has now been posted over here!

Well worth watching!

[Linked Image]
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: jon-nyc] #2811067
02/05/19 04:55 PM
02/05/19 04:55 PM
NY
J
jon-nyc Offline
2000 Post Club Member
jon-nyc  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J

NY
Originally Posted by jon-nyc
And how's this for an unusual concert, also in Zankel.

https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calendar/2019/02/05/Leon-Fleisher-and-Friends-0730PM

Leon Fleischer's 90th birthday celebration. He'll do some solo stuff and some 4 hand stuff with some former students, including Jonathan Biss, Yefim Bronfman, Katherine Jacobson, and a 'surprise guest'.

This is tonight, by the way!

If you don't talk to your children about equal temperment, who will?
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2816354
02/16/19 09:13 PM
02/16/19 09:13 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

6000 Post Club Member

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2816357
02/16/19 09:25 PM
02/16/19 09:25 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Yes, I am watching/listening now.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2816385
02/16/19 11:18 PM
02/16/19 11:18 PM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
I got two tickets for Dudamel & Yuja Wang, La Phil, Walt Disney Concert Hall. Saturday March 9th. Should be exciting smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2816390
02/16/19 11:30 PM
02/16/19 11:30 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I got two tickets for Dudamel & Yuja Wang, La Phil, Walt Disney Concert Hall. Saturday March 9th. Should be exciting smile

How exciting for you! You will need to post your thoughts after the concert.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2818433
02/21/19 03:51 PM
02/21/19 03:51 PM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
People have asked me for my personal (and make no mistake, it *is* going to be very personal) review of the Ivo Pogorelich recital in Nuremberg last Sunday. So here goes!

I walked in when they opened the doors, and as I’d hoped, he was there at the piano playing, in baggy clothes, red socks (! lol) and a woolly hat. There were hardly any people inside at that time, so I sat down in the second block, not wanting to disturb him, and just watched and listened. He played a few shorter pieces and then a repeating phrase of what was plainly just freestyle practice, a sequence of fifths. I have to say, I enjoyed that immensely - I mean: How often do you witness a master practising?

When the room filled, he disappeared and then came back wearing the traditional tux (suit? I know the word in German, but how do you call the thing pianists wear?). I managed to grab a seat that was much better than the one I'd got a ticket for - 2nd row left, so he was only about 12 feet away and I had a perfect view of his right hand, and the left too at times. Yessssss!

Mozart was first, the Adagio b minor (K540). He played it extremely slowly, but not obnoxiously so. It was also highly unconventional, with liberal use of rubato and some forte that should have been piano according to the sheet music (which I know because I’m practising this thing right now!). The critics are going to roast him for it, and I don't think the traditionalists amongst ye here in the Pianist Corner would have liked it, either. But it made sense, it was a coherent, highly sensitive interpretation, and achingly beautiful.

Then the Liszt sonata b minor, oh my gods. The whole program was incredible, but this was definitely my highlight. It was ravishing, gorgeous, daring, tempestuous - and once again the slower parts were very slow. He has in the past played annoyingly slowly sometimes, but this was different. It was simply unhurried, deliberately savouring each note. If I've learned anything from him that evening, it's this: There's no hurry.

Then came the break and then Schumann’s Symphonic Etudes. I loved hearing the posthumous variations that I’d never heard from him before, and comparing the rest of them to his recording from the early 80s. Back then, some of them were played mostly as etudes - with focus on the virtuosity - but this time around, he played it with (even) more musical expression.

People obviously loved it, and yet nobody gave him standing ovations. „Why is nobody standing?“ I whispered to a couple in front of me. I got them to stand up with me, and he actually gave us a nod before he announced he was going to play a Liszt for an encore. Which I've been unable to identify, gaaaaah!! It's been driving me nuts all week.

All in all, he is definitely back at the top of his game. I had expected a lot, but he still blew my expectations out of the water. I just wish I could rewind to Sunday evening around 7pm and do it all over.

After all those years of not being to any live concerts or recitals, I had almost forgotten the magic of having him there in front of me, live, playing. No YouTube video could have prepared me for this! I was bowled over. He still does that to me, 31 years later grin And I guess he still is my favourite pianist (well, together with Kissin), among the many I adore and admire.

I'm so glad I went, even though it was hard to be on my own afterwards, when that was the time I'd usually have a drink with Eveline and happily dissect every note and talk for hours. But I was right, I couldn't have gone to this particular recital with anyone else. Vienna will be different next month smile

Last edited by Sibylle; 02/21/19 03:56 PM.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2818444
02/21/19 04:14 PM
02/21/19 04:14 PM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
P.S. He played the Mozart *without crossing over*!! No idea how he did that?!

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2818548
02/21/19 08:11 PM
02/21/19 08:11 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I am glad you had a fantastic time! Thank you for the detailed review.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Sibylle] #2818588
02/21/19 10:45 PM
02/21/19 10:45 PM
Connecticut/Cincinnati
C
computerpro3 Offline
500 Post Club Member
computerpro3  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Connecticut/Cincinnati
I also idolize some of Pogorelich's performances, and I am deeply happy for you that you got to witness him playing live! Especially given his personal importance to you and the significance of your return to hearing live music. Know that we are happy for you!

Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2819856
02/25/19 12:54 PM
02/25/19 12:54 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Sara Daneshpour coming to a Steinway gallery in my town. I had not heard of her but her bio seems impressive, a her Gaspard de la Nuit seems pretty solid.

Last edited by cmb13; 02/25/19 12:55 PM.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2822452
03/03/19 05:36 PM
03/03/19 05:36 PM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
A few upcoming highlights in the old world:

Evgeny Kissin in the Vienna Musikverein, Austria, 12. March (and guess who’s got a really good ticket?! *happydance*).

Yuja Wang and Birmingham Symphony in the Alte Oper in Frankfurt, Germany, 14. May. Schumann Piano Concerto! Man, I wish I could be there.

In summer in Northern Germany, the Schleswig-Holstein Musikfestival promises to be amazing, with recitals by both Kissin playing Beethoven sonatas on 8. July (another one I’d probably kill and possibly die to get to) and Pogorelich on 27. August (I may just about get a few days off then).

Sibylle

Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Sibylle] #2822481
03/03/19 07:18 PM
03/03/19 07:18 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sibylle
A few upcoming highlights in the old world:

Evgeny Kissin in the Vienna Musikverein, Austria, 12. March (and guess who’s got a really good ticket?! *happydance*).

Yuja Wang and Birmingham Symphony in the Alte Oper in Frankfurt, Germany, 14. May. Schumann Piano Concerto! Man, I wish I could be there.

In summer in Northern Germany, the Schleswig-Holstein Musikfestival promises to be amazing, with recitals by both Kissin playing Beethoven sonatas on 8. July (another one I’d probably kill and possibly die to get to) and Pogorelich on 27. August (I may just about get a few days off then).

Wow, they all sound like they will be amazing concerts. I sure wish I could attend.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2822530
03/03/19 09:10 PM
03/03/19 09:10 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Sybille that sounds amazing!

I suppose I should review Martha Argerich in Berlin now! As if I need an excuse.

I saw her twice playing Prokofiev 3 with Daniel Barenboim conducting the Staatskapelle Berlin.

The first night was in the Staatsoper. I was in the tenth row. She walked out looking nervous and sat down at the piano. The first thing that hit me was the clarity. The way she was adding extra accents to some notes made the piano stand out from the orchestra, yet there was an amazing balance between the two. I heard wonderful things in Prokofiev's writing I had never heard before. Somehow, in spite of knowing the concerto for decades it was like hearing it for the first time. It made sense in a completely different way.

The second night was at the Philharmonie. I was in the front row on the right, and I thought my seat would be terrible, but at the first note she sounded so exciting I was giggling inside. I had a huge grin on my face. This sounded more like her recordings, but there was incredible fluidity in her sound, and her ability to make every note sound fresh was awe-inspiring. I felt this performance had more virtuoso sparkle than the first, which was all about tone colour for me. Two utterly amazing concerts.

I've been a huge fan of Martha Argerich for decades, and have lost count of the number of times I've heard this concerto played by great pianists, but this was something different entirely. I didn't realise how good she was. And this is woman is 77!

She and Daniel Barenboim played a Bizet duet as an encore, and it was so sweet. It was all the years melted away for these two childhood friends.

The opening piece was Schubert's Unfinished Symphony and sounded beautiful at the Staatsoper, but more brilliant and spacious at the Philharmonie. It's such an amazing venue. The second half was the Babylon Suite by Joerg Widmann. The scoring was amazing.

Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2822532
03/03/19 09:16 PM
03/03/19 09:16 PM
Dublin
johnstaf Online crying
2000 Post Club Member
johnstaf  Online Crying
2000 Post Club Member

Dublin
Oh how jealous I am of the concerts you have lined up Sybille! I've never actually been to Vienna, so I'm planning to see someone in the Musikverein next year. I haven't decided on next year's pianist!

I still haven't seen Krystian Zimerman...

Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2822950
03/05/19 03:20 AM
03/05/19 03:20 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
Gods, that sounds amazing. Martha Argerich is one pianist I've never known to "lapse" or have a less brilliant phase in her entire life. She's just always been consistently outstanding. Thanks for the review!

Sibylle

Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2824896
03/10/19 12:04 PM
03/10/19 12:04 PM
LA County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

LA County, California
I saw Dudamel and Yuja Wang last night at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. It was a great show. We sat in the orchestra view section, where you sit behind the orchestra and get a straight view of the conductor. It was pretty interesting to watch his facial expressions during show. These seats are significantly cheaper than the front orchestra seats. I'd recommend trying them sometime. Actually, I think any seat in this concert hall would be good, except those way high up. We had binoculars and so I would zoom in to see Yuja's hand, or peek at the sheet music.

The first part was a composition called "Must the Devil Have All The Good Tunes", composed by John Adams. This week was the world premiere of that. Yuja played during that part, and then came out for an encore solo performance after that. I wish I knew what that piece was!

After the intermission, it was just the orchestra, no piano. They played Symphony No. 1 in D Major (Mahler). It was really nice!

Einaudi will be playing here in June smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: Mark_C] #2824924
03/10/19 01:24 PM
03/10/19 01:24 PM
Florida
cmb13 Online content

Silver Level
cmb13  Online Content

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Florida
Very cook, B#!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Debussy Clair De Lune
Bach Inventions
Grieg Sonata - Andante molto

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2825010
03/10/19 05:33 PM
03/10/19 05:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

The encore was "China Gates", also written by John Adams a few years ago.

[Linked Image]
Re: Thread alerting us about upcoming important concerts? [Re: NobleHouse] #2825012
03/10/19 05:35 PM
03/10/19 05:35 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by NobleHouse
The encore was "China Gates", also written by John Adams a few years ago.

And sounds like a wonderful concert. Thanks for the review!

[Linked Image]
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Help for University course
by Bln99. 10/15/19 08:31 AM
raise up tuning in 20 minutes?
by Andymania. 10/15/19 07:53 AM
Input on NY Steinway D rebuild
by Erchoukyrie. 10/15/19 07:52 AM
[UK] Ivory Act 2018
by etherline. 10/15/19 07:43 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,530
Posts2,879,282
Members94,669
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission