2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Bronze Subscriber
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
V
hello all,

i am a beginner to the piano.in my upright it feels easy to play while standing compared to when i am sitting on the bench is that something wrong with my piano technique or the action ?

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If pianos had been invented before benches we all might be standing. Jerry Lee Lewis made a career out of playing while standing, he even used his feet once in awhile. If you're comfortable and having fun, stay standing.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've noticed that a lot of performers/players/musicians these days (as opposed to many years ago) do stand at the keyboard/digital piano while playing. At least this is what I see when I see bands, etc... perform on TV. I guess this is part of the newer generation of keyboard/piano players.

As for me, one of the things I like about the piano as a musical instrument is that you get to sit while playing. In fact, I do believe this is how a piano was designed and engineered to be played.

If you want to play standing, by all means, do what you want to do. Reminds me of one of my original songs, "Play it like you want to". smile

As for the old rock-n-roller, Jerry Lee Lewis, (one of my favorite piano playing artists) he played mostly sitting, but would stand on occasion, knock the bench backward and turn it over, and begin a rant while standing, using hands, elbows, feet/boots, and his back-end on occasion. That style apparently worked well for him to gain additional notoriety as an entertainer and rock-n-roll performer. As a point of reference, other bands later did unusual things like smashing their guitars on stage. I think Jerry Lee was a little more subdued. smile

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
For digital keyboards, they make adjustable racks where you can either sit or stand. I can play standing if the keyboard is above the typical upright keyboard height but I don’t play my best and need frequent sit down breaks. If you find playing while standing more comfortable, whose to say you’re wrong? Have fun!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Vibayu,
It's not possible to tell why you find it easier to play standing. The correct and best position for playing would have your forearms about parallel to the ground which is not possible when standing. Your bench might be too low.

Do you have a teacher?

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Greetings,

While sitting seems to be the industry standard when it comes to playing the piano, it is hardly the only option. Some people find it easier to stand, as can be seen here.

[Linked Image]

Or here.

[Linked Image]

However, standing in front of the piano is hardly your only option, as is demonstrated here.

[Linked Image]

Of course, there is really no reason that one has to stand on the floor. Standing on your instrument can be a viable option at times.

[Linked Image]
(The eagle-eyed observer will be quick to point out that this is a Hammond organ, not a piano. However I believe the underlying principle to be the same.)

Speaking of floors, some people prefer to lay down on the floor while playing,
[Linked Image]

while others would rather have no connection to the floor whatsoever.
[Linked Image]

Be warned, try out these various playing positions at your own risk or under the supervision of an experienced teacher!

Hope this helps.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by vibavi attigala
hello all,

i am a beginner to the piano.in my upright it feels easy to play while standing compared to when i am sitting on the bench is that something wrong with my piano technique or the action ?

Are you 48" tall? wink

Seriously, the keyboard and bench of a piano is set up so the player has an angle of arm, wrist, and hand placement that is comfortable and natural. Standing will generally flex the wrist awkwardly in a way that will be uncomfortable after a short length of time and could seriously injure the player over the long term.

By nature, standing while you play will also involve many more muscles (shoulders, upper arms, more lower arms, and more hands) that would not get involved if you are seated in front of the piano.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by DanS
Greetings,

While sitting seems to be the industry standard when it comes to playing the piano, it is hardly the only option. Some people find it easier to stand, as can be seen here.

[Linked Image]

Look carefully at this picture. His right wrist is fine, the left will give him carpal tunnel if he keeps it bent that far while playing.

The way he's leaning will also be a problem real soon.....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Standing may work playing on a stage piano banging out chords with a band (although even that can cause serious wrist problems if the piano isn't high enough), but the technique required to play classical repertoire decently pretty well requires that one be seated to play.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
DansS: very funny. lol. grin

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
Standing may work playing on a stage piano banging out chords with a band (although even that can cause serious wrist problems if the piano isn't high enough), but the technique required to play classical repertoire decently pretty well requires that one be seated to play.

Regards,

Baroque and earlier music was often played standing. Sitting was not necessary when there were no pedals.

Semipro Tech
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Originally Posted by DanS
Greetings,

[Linked Image]

Look carefully at this picture. His right wrist is fine, the left will give him carpal tunnel if he keeps it bent that far while playing.

I saw Jerry Lee live way back in the day in his prime...he sat on a normal piano bench the whole time except for one time he stood, but not on the floor, rather on the piano bench.

Also, this picture is backstage, just for a promo shot or for fun, very likely not for a performance.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ando
DansS: very funny. lol. grin

laugh

Originally Posted by BDB
[Baroque and earlier music was often played standing. Sitting was not necessary when there were no pedals.
I'm not positive, but from what I remember seeing this done, wasn't the keyboard considerably higher than usual when the harpsichord was played standing?

Here's at least one example showing what I described:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojINbsrUdVw

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/04/19 11:52 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

My college piano teacher lecturered music history classes, also, and played examples in class while standing up (for logistics and to keep people's attention). But, he is kinda short. 😁

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
R
R
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by BDB
[Baroque and earlier music was often played standing. Sitting was not necessary when there were no pedals.
I'm not positive, but from what I remember seeing this done, wasn't the keyboard considerably higher than usual when the harpsichord was played standing?

Here's at least one example showing what I described:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojINbsrUdVw

Wikipedia states, without source, that this is a specially modified instrument.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Comparone

This article quotes her as stating that this is her innovation, along with her reasoning:
https://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/04/...with-a-past-and-apparently-a-future.html

Both instruments can be placed on her ornate riser -- with blue wheels -- also constructed to her specifications. Ms. Comparone feels freer when she plays standing up, which she says is her own innovation. ''I want to stand like the rest of the group,'' she said. ''It projects better, and people see. I can move more and have better access to the keyboard. I'm from the rock-and-roll generation; keyboard players stand. Why shouldn't I be seen?''

edit: I just added the NY Times article as a citation to wikipedia.

Last edited by RogerRL; 02/06/19 06:14 PM.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Some of the rock and roll keyboard players have layered stands so that they can play multiple different keyboards. It reminds me of church organs with multiple keyboards.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Of course, classical players also occasionally stand while playing.

Note: This is NOT photoshopped.

[Linked Image]

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Of course, classical players also occasionally stand while playing.

Note: This is NOT photoshopped.

[Linked Image]

It would be somewhat awkward, wouldn't it, trying to use the damper pedal and the una corda at the same time. Fear of Falling? You bet!

Notice that for this special piano how far forward the lyre assembly is located; it's under the keyboard. This is obviously a special installation perhaps for very specific reason.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission