2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Just wanted to hop on that "push to talk" thing.

Yeah, no one can use that while playing the piano. It is really meant for gamers. Push to talk means you have to press a button on your keyboard to activate your microphone. You can't hold a button on the keyboard and play the piano at the same time. Whereas, in a game you play with your keyboard, it is likely possible to press a specific key while playing, if you don't want people hearing you at all time.

If I had a cold, I wouldn't cut my mic to blow my nose either. It is for practice, not for recital, anyway. wink I really compare that to practicing at the conservatory: people in the corridor will hear everything I do. This is include sight singing very poorly, struggling with arpeggios... and blowing my nose, coughing, ... My piano is a few feet away from my computer. I don't want to leave my bench, go to my computer, cut the mic, blow my nose, activate the mic, go back at my piano... So I understand that girl. wink

-

As for the screen, yes, cutting it is a good idea. Cutting the sound is a good idea too. The other night, I heard when people logged in and it was disturbing.
Though if your goal is to fell less stressed about being exposed, getting used to know when people are listening to you might be a good idea. But I think it is better to go gradually and go for that later on (if interested at all).

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CadenzaVvi
Yeah, no one can use that while playing the piano. It is really meant for gamers. Push to talk means you have to press a button on your keyboard to activate your microphone. You can't hold a button on the keyboard and play the piano at the same time.

[Linked Image]

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
This is surprisingly addictive. I'll give a try with my own practice tomorrow (lessons tonight, no one gets to eavesdrop on those smile

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
This looks quite interesting. I signed in and heard Squidbot say “hello Tom”. But I need to get an adaptor to connect “line out” to my iPad before I can play in the app. I assume that using line-out, I will still hear my piano from the connected headphones. But sounds coming from the app will play through the iPad speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. When I get the adaptor I ordered, I will try to also run a cable from the iPad headphone jack to the piano’s “line-in” jack and then be able to hear every thing from the headphones connected to the piano. My playing and a voice from within the app.

Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TomLC
This looks quite interesting. I signed in and heard Squidbot say “hello Tom”. But I need to get an adaptor to connect “line out” to my iPad before I can play in the app. I assume that using line-out, I will still hear my piano from the connected headphones. But sounds coming from the app will play through the iPad speakers. Correct me if I am wrong. When I get the adaptor I ordered, I will try to also run a cable from the iPad headphone jack to the piano’s “line-in” jack and then be able to hear every thing from the headphones connected to the piano. My playing and a voice from within the app.

Tom, that will probably work, but with two wires going between the piano and iPad you may be getting ground loop or humming problems.
Also you should be aware that the signal level on the NV10's line out is controlled by the piano's master volume knob. When I tested this, I found that there's already a decent signal level with the knob at 50%, but if that is not enough for the Discord app, you may have to increase the main volume. Which could then make the sound too loud in your headphones.
I guess you'll have to experiment to see if you get any humming problems, and if the NV10's output at your normal headphones volume level is good enough for Discord.

An alternative would be to instead connect only the NV10's line out to the iPad (I assume it's connected to the iPad's lightning port with an adapter?) then plug your headphones into the iPad itself. Also plug another set of headphones (or just a spare adapter plug) into the NV10, to mute the piano's speakers. That way you can control the line out signal level of the NV10 with it's main volume knob (to get the right mix for the Discord app) and you can control the overall volume that goes into your headphones on the iPad itself. And you have only a single line between piano and iPad.
One drawback that this could have is, if the iPad line in introduces a lag, because then you would hear the piano with a slight delay (with the sound routed through the iPad).

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
JoBert, I will try that. I was concerned the sound of the piano would then come from the Discord app. So I will see what I see.

Others who are using the app; I have some concern as to how safe this app is. Certainly, it was not easy to find out how to log out. Which had me a little anxious since I read here that closing the app doesn’t really close it. Why would that be? Since the app uses your mike does it really ever turn it off?

Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You won't hear your piano with the discord app if you send a line back into the piano. You'll hear sounds from the Ipad/device that you use though, but not of your playing. Why do you want to send a line back in?

Your mic will be on when you connect to a voice room, but you can mute the mic. When don't when to be in the room any longer, make sure you disconnect.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Well....b#, I was thinking that I will hear the piano and “voices talking” through the headphones jack if I have line-out connected to my iPad and line-in from the headphone jack on the iPad to the piano. All sounds of both piano and iPad should play through the piano headphones. No? confused

Maybe I’m confused. So if, as JoBert suggest, I connect my headphones to the iPad, and mute the speakers on the piano, run a line-out to the iPad instead of using a microphone, so that the piano sound is in the app (others can hear it) you are saying I won’t hear my piano through the iPad headphones? If I need to play with speakers on, I won’t be doing it. The Apple adaptor Is required anyway for a midi connection to my iPad. Thanks!

Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sorry, I didn't read Jobert's post until now. Yes, you would then hear the piano through the Ipad headphones with that setup, but would there be a delay? I guess you'd have to test that. I use the headphone out of the piano and line out into X-Fi USB sound card, so it's the same signal level. I'm not concerned with hearing Discord sounds through my headphones. The important thing in Discord will be to turn off automatic input sensitivity and move the slider to the far left, so that note decay doesn't get cut off.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

I just downloaded this app and am so addicted to it!

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I put doing 30 hours of practice on the Pinano Server on my annual piano goals as a measure to combat stage fright, but I have such stage fright I haven't even started yet! eek blush

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Apple IPad will not work I am guessing.

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by SAMoore
Apple IPad will not work I am guessing.

I've used it on iPad with no problems. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
A
I've been trying out Discord and enjoying it. I do have a few questions for the experts:
- A question on etiquette. I've been practicing by going to an empty practice room and just, well, practicing alone. I figure if I see people using other practice rooms I shouldn't join in because it would be rude? Or is it acceptable to join any practice room even if you don't know the people using it or what they are playing?
- Is there a setting in the Discord app where I can track the amount of time I spend practicing?
- I read somewhere that Discord allows video chats for up to to 10 people at a time. Does anyone use this while practicing?

Thanks,
Brian

Originally Posted by AdagioLearner
I've been trying out Discord and enjoying it. I do have a few questions for the experts:
- A question on etiquette. I've been practicing by going to an empty practice room and just, well, practicing alone. I figure if I see people using other practice rooms I shouldn't join in because it would be rude? Or is it acceptable to join any practice room even if you don't know the people using it or what they are playing?
- Is there a setting in the Discord app where I can track the amount of time I spend practicing?
- I read somewhere that Discord allows video chats for up to to 10 people at a time. Does anyone use this while practicing?

Thanks,
Brian

Practice rooms are public so technically you can just go into one when someone is playing and just listen in...when I am playing, I see many names wander in and out. You can send a direct message to the player with the @username command or just chat in the Practice Room chat to discuss anything going on in the rooms or what you are practicing...

To get statistics on practice time, just go into any chat area and type p!stats

That command will show you Discords hours for your length of time playing in a practice room (it doesnt log when you are on mute).

The p!leaderboard command wil show top 10 users with the most practice hours for the week,

Any of the practice rooms can handle voice chat for as many as 20 users in the room. Think if it as a real life Skype call but with no video. When someone is playing, you out your device on mute so that your noises wont be heard by everyone else on that channel/room. I have also been in rooms where it was fun to have everyone rotate playing and just general discussion on specific pieces or trouble spots on particular pieces.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok I must be doing something wrong. It is asking for a server address and I don’t see practice rooms to ‘wander in or out’ of Do you need to be ‘invited’

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Ok I must be doing something wrong. It is asking for a server address and I don’t see practice rooms to ‘wander in or out’ of Do you need to be ‘invited’

You followed the directions in this thread right? In particular, did you create an account on here which is the "invitation" from "Roe"?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
A
Thank you!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you! I’m in now👍

[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AdagioLearner
Thank you!

Thank you! I’m in now👍

great!

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission