2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Apropos of nothing, I'm going to jump into this discussion. I'm married to someone who has a great desire for music, a background in music as a DJ and karaoke singer in the 1960s- 1980s, and can't, won't, refuses to learn the first thing about music.

<rant>

If I could go back in time, I would give a piece of my mind to the people that taught him to love music without giving him the basics of how to navigate the waters of Western music. He sang as a boy soprano in a church choir, it wasn't a cathedral, but it was the foremost Anglican church in a major town near London - name withheld to protect the guilty. They paid the kids a princely sum (for kids) to turn up and sing. BUT. They taught them everything by rote, no reading, no solfege, no theory. NOTHING. Just turn up and sing the notes we tell you, and here's your sixpence.

Result: A 63 year old man that loves music but doesn't want to be a beginner and has hands injured from years of cricket and being a goalie at football. I tried getting him into an a capella choir once, where everything was learned by rote (with solfege and recordings) but no reading music. The five guys in the choir welcomed him, thought he was brilliant. BUT. He wouldn't do it. In fact he broke into tears when telling me that he wouldn't do it. Somehow it was all too much.

I tried to teach him just a little bit of piano (play a triad) but his hands wouldn't go into a 1-3-5 position (see above about sport injuries) and that was the end of that. I thought that was the beginning, very basic stuff, but I was wrong.

He loves what I do, he thinks it's great that my playing is improving. I'm going to make it a priority to play something that he can sing along to, one of the pop songs that he loves.

But these are the crimes that are committed against people that hold them back in later life. It's getting worse, I think. Only the privileged have access to early music lessons, now. Try telling someone who didn't grow up in the right family that they can do music, and see what happens.

</rant>

Q: Am I late beginner, or early intermediate? A: Yes!

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
Ghosthand: Blessed be.

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. ~ Henry Van Dyke
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ghosthand and elenmirie - you both tell such touching stories! I really feel for both.

Ghosthand, have you considered a video teacher who gives you feedback?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I felt privileged to hear both ghosthand tale of herself and elenmirie's tale her husband. Very moving. A virtual hug to both of you and elenmirie's husband.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
S
I'd like to reiterate what serge mentioned in the first post and add one thing. I find the social pressure of a teacher is actually very important. You have to perform for someone else and that alone is an aspect of piano performance that is a skill. I'm about 10 months into lessons, raw beginner when I started, and I still get nervous when I go and make more mistakes. But, I've come to believe this is useful. Learning to have a calm, relaxed mind and hands when playing for the teacher is a skill itself I have been working on because I want to perform the piano for others in the future as my ultimate goal.

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I felt privileged to hear both ghosthand tale of herself and elenmirie's tale her husband. Very moving. A virtual hug to both of you and elenmirie's husband.

Hugs back, Tyrone! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Animisha
Ghosthand and elenmirie - you both tell such touching stories! I really feel for both.

Ghosthand, have you considered a video teacher who gives you feedback?

Thanks Animisha! We go onward, through the fog... smile

P
P
Originally Posted by spartan928
I'd like to reiterate what serge mentioned in the first post and add one thing. I find the social pressure of a teacher is actually very important. You have to perform for someone else and that alone is an aspect of piano performance that is a skill. I'm about 10 months into lessons, raw beginner when I started, and I still get nervous when I go and make more mistakes. But, I've come to believe this is useful. Learning to have a calm, relaxed mind and hands when playing for the teacher is a skill itself I have been working on because I want to perform the piano for others in the future as my ultimate goal.

+1, at 7 months in I am much better at performing for my teacher. The other thing, whenever I describe to her a technical problem she has the answer. Whether fingering, or counting, or marking the score, or even just how to think about something.....She tells me how to think! Love my Teacher

Progman
Baldwin Console
Long Live ELP
I deeply agree with the fact that the need for a teacher vary from person to person. And sometimes, you could want lessons but can't, for many reasons, and I think that shouldn't refrain anyone to start an instrument.

But it is also important to know that starting learning music on your own will surely result in bad habits that you'll have to work on later (ideally) and will lead to slower progress.

Also, every teacher is not suited for any student. You have to find the one that fits your goals and personality. It can be challenging for some (depending on your region and availabilities).

As for myself, I know I wouldn't have pursue the piano without a teacher. I wouldn't have known how to address some of my problems and would have been discouraged by my lack of progress. In a way, I admire those who can learn by themselves. But I don't envy them, because what my teacher brings me is invaluable and I wouldn't want to go without it.

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Serge88 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Finding the right teacher is important.

When I started I didn't know anything about classical music, I was more interested in pop rock music. My teacher was a classical piano teacher so I discovered Mozart, Bach and Beethoven but at one point I had enough of classical and I quit.

My new teacher studied classical and she just graduated from university in piano jazz. She also play keyboard in a metal band, she a perfect match for me, we do classical and non classical piano.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88
My new teacher studied classical and she just graduated from university in piano jazz. She also play keyboard in a metal band, she a perfect match for me, we do classical and non classical piano.

Wow. Your teacher sounds a little bit like Viktoriya Yermolyeva! smile

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Serge88 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

smirk Yes she does.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88

smirk Yes she does.

Yes she does or yes she is? wink wink

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission