2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There should be some things clarified here.

1. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A SUZUKI PIANO COMPANY. This is truly just a stencil with a number of different companies of origin.

2. Suzuki USA is not affiliated with Suzuki Japan, the name is licensed by a group from San Diego.

3. The warranty is backed by the marketing company only, not a factory.

The pianos are only as good as the company that is contracted to make it be it Dongbei yesterday, Artfield today and whoever in the future.

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
I used to run the Costco piano roadshows So Cal. I did it for almost 3 years. We sold Story & Clark (Dongbei) Players, Weinbach, Roland digitals and a house brand made in China by Dongbei. We prepped ours and demo'd ours and sold them with prep and service after the sale. When I started with only 12 Costcos, we were competing with the Suzuki. We would sell 10-15 units in 10 days. The Suzuki's were doing dramatically less. They also had lots of returns, especially with their digitals.
They found that eliminating the 'demo' actually improved their sales. If you couldn't play or hear it, it sold better.
So now you can only get them on line. I think they are now made by Bejing Piano Company, and maybe larger sizes are made by Dongbei.

John Mila de la Roca, Manager
Keyboard Concepts, Tustin CA
714-544-0088
Yamaha-Schimmel-Bosendorfer
Piano Tuner/Tech 30 years
john.miladelaroca@keyboardconcepts.com
keyboardconcepts.com

Yamaha C3-KorgN364-Kurzweil K2500-Yamaha P200-Roland Ax1 & Les Paul Custom gold Top 57 re-issue and 6 nameless guitars.
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If Suzuki does indeed keep changing manufacturers, what is the strategy behind it? Is it to improve quality or improve margins and/or sourcing?

Does this also mean that Dongbei, Artfield and Beijing all produce for Suzuki to an exact same specification and design? This would imply distinct production runs wouldn't it or am I missing something?

fathertopianist

Manufacturer's make a little different size. The Vienna OEM product that was made by Dongbei had solid boards but the Beijing models were 1 inch shorter and laminated boards.
Steinways' Essex piano made by Young Chang in China was one design and the ones made by Pearl River in China are not the same.

714-544-0088
keyboardconcepts.com

Yamaha C3-KorgN364-Kurzweil K2500-Yamaha P200-Roland Ax1 & Les Paul Custom gold Top 57 re-issue and 6 nameless guitars.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally posted by John Mila:
I used to run the Costco piano roadshows So Cal. I did it for almost 3 years. We sold Story & Clark (Dongbei) Players, Weinbach, Roland digitals and a house brand made in China by Dongbei. We prepped ours and demo'd ours and sold them with prep and service after the sale. When I started with only 12 Costcos, we were competing with the Suzuki. We would sell 10-15 units in 10 days. The Suzuki's were doing dramatically less. They also had lots of returns, especially with their digitals.
They found that eliminating the 'demo' actually improved their sales. If you couldn't play or hear it, it sold better.
So now you can only get them on line. I think they are now made by Bejing Piano Company, and maybe larger sizes are made by Dongbei.
Very interesting post. Thanks much.
I would say that Suzuki pianos are not the only product that sells better without a personal demo.

I don't know how much information you get on those actually purchasing the pianos, but it would be enlightening to hear anything you can tell. Could you share with us what the key differences were between those customers who bought at a Costco roadshow and those that purchase in your piano store?

Examples:
- age,
- background,
- family income/budget,
- piano/music experience, first instrument?
- purchase intention (play, take lessons, for kids, decorate/furniture, vague dreams, don't need one but the price is right, etc)
- planned vs. impulse purchase,
- number of other stores shopped,
- after sale satisfaction,
- after sale actual use

I am particularly interested in your view on whether the Costco roadshows were opening the market to new customers or instead potentially cannibalizing sales of existing piano stores.

Also, would the pianos being sold at Costo mostly wind up as dead-end dust collectors or are some/many actually used intensively perhaps leading to later trade up purchases for traditional dealers?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes! And while you're at it, please provide the following additional information, broken down by road show vs store customers:

- how many were left-handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?
- what percentage were redheads?
- do the purchasers sleep on the left or the right side of the bed?
- how many were men, and of those, did they "dress left" or "dress right"?
- how often do they have sex?
- what are their favorite colors?
- do they like Ginger, or Maryanne?
- plastic or paper?
- blondes or brunettes (assuming the blondes themselves actually prefer Steinways)?

Thanks!

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Scott McBain:
Any dealer can get a chinese brand of piano with any name they might like to choose or make up.
I just ordered a container load with the name "Steinway" on them.

I having them made with German parts, German design and German engineering...just like the Hamburg "Steinway and Sons" and the E11enberg.

I wonder how they will sell. wink

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
They will sell great, Steve. The only problem is, the buyers will have to be content with artificially colored blondes. Natural blondes will simply ignore them.

I think you are on to something, Steve. Check out this recent ad on the Atlanta Craigslist. Brand new Steinway’s, Yamaha’s and Kawai’s starting at $995.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/595089886.html

I would check it out myself but you know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true…. laugh laugh

Best regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Apparently someone stocked there a couple of dozen pianos and just forgot to take them away, so the owner of the storage space liquidates everything himself....

hhhmmmm..... sounds VERY strange to me... that's not a hat forgotten on the bus and "unclaimed", is it?

"The man that hath no music in himself / Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds / Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils." (W.Shakespeare)

Kemble Conservatoire 335025 Walnut Satin
Not sure if these would be a good deal. According to the photo provided, the warehouse is nice, but the mechandise appears to have been stored in direct sunlight, with occasional rapid changes in humidity.

[Linked Image]</img>

shocked

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
There is a lot of nonsense in this thread.

I am a piano performance major at the Cincinnati College-Conservatory right now and I have played on all manner of instruments from Steinway D's, a 2007 Steinway B, old rebuilt steinways, old un-rebuilt steinways, and Baldwins ranging from terrible to excellent. I log hours and hours on all these instruments.

I resumed piano when I was 16 after a long break and the piano I bought was a Hallet and Davis 5 foot 5 inch model. I had a good tech service and tune it when I got it and it's been fantastic ever since. The action and sound on it are better than 90% of the pianos I practice on daily for hours on end, including some of the older steinways (and every single baldwin except one).

Compared to the newer steinways, yes, the Hallet and Davis does not sound or play as good. However, I got my piano for $5000 (special deal because we knew the dealer and the factory messed up). The steinway's are $80,000. The law of diminishing returns is perhaps nowhere more evident than in the piano world. My hallet and Davis has stood up well over the last three years of my pounding - 6 hours a day on average of Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, etc.

I am actually looking fowards to going home for spring break so I can practice on it instead of the largely unpleasant piano's we have here.

Perhaps most importantly, had I not been able to buy a budget grand piano, I would not be attending conservatory right now.

Shigeru Kawai SK7
Kawai NV10S
Hallet & Davis 165
Hello theJourney
I started a new thread with your questions. You'll find it under the Costco experience.
Thanks for some great questions.

714-544-0088
keyboardconcepts.com

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I take it you didn't like my questions. ..sniff, sniff.... I feel so... used!

smile

A
A
I would easily understand how a better piano makes things difference...
The key word is 'better' - and it so not true to say that for all Steinways.

I've had a small Yamaha grand for several years. First I was happy with it, and then started realizing what the tech meant when he said ‘it’s good for the money’. Well, it was not good enough anymore. I need more…
After selling it, during the course of looking for a replacement, I tried all pianos fall within the budget of $10K, meaning all lower end pianos, most of them are Chinese makes. And off course, all others too – including several old, rebuilt Steinways.
I would easily see why the tier 3 pianos are placed in, uhm… tier 3. But those particular Steinways that I’ve tried were not tier1 worthy either 
Other tier1 pianos and tier2 (Estonia) were just exceptional. I could see it clearly how these pianos would make my home a better place (but not my wallet!)

Fortunately, I found a 1969 7’ Baldwin F within the budget – still very much playable. And it does sound better than all tier3 pianos. Instantly, even it has a crappy action, my wife and I start to play much more (the piano that is). We were discussing music; I started writing again; we even were talking about a piano party with friends…

I do understand it will need thousands to get it back to the full potential. With limited budget, we will have to do it slowly, with tuning and regulation first. I’m not sure it’d take the same 2 full days as this thread Suzuki. I also understand that there are some tier3 pianos out there that could give me the same satisfaction or perform better than this Baldwin; but they are surely not in the stores that I visited.

Just my little experience regarding pianos on difference tiers.

andy

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rickster:
I think you are on to something, Steve. Check out this recent ad on the Atlanta Craigslist. Brand new Steinway’s, Yamaha’s and Kawai’s starting at $995.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/595089886.html

I would check it out myself but you know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true…. laugh laugh

Best regards,

Rickster
Look at the crated pianos with a magnifying glass..
Name on the crate looks like Sherwood to me ..
Sherwood Grand Pianos?

What say you guys?

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I got my piano for $5000 (special deal because we knew the dealer and the factory messed up).
Some people have all the luck. . .

I'm dying to know though, how did the factory mess up? They didn't mess up the piano I assume.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
Bear 1: Look at the crated pianos with a magnifying glass..
Name on the crate looks like Sherwood to me ..
Sherwood Grand Pianos?

What say you guys?
Hi Bear 1,

Yes, I did notice that in the ad. However, in all honesty, I didn't take the ad seriously.

My take is that the ad is somehow misleading and it is one of the avid piano peddlers around Atlanta (and I'm sure you know who they are) trying to drum up business any way they can. Is this what you call bait and switch (Steinway, Yamaha and Kawai to Sherwood)?

These people seem to dominate the local Craigslist with all kinds of misleading ads. They will say things like “moving and must sell” or “son or daughter no longer plays” or some other tale to lead you to believe they are individual private sellers; when you call about the ad, you find out that they are not private sellers but one of the many new and used piano dealers in the metro Atlanta area. They must move a lot and have a lot of children laugh .

Anyway, I find the ad itself so misleading and ridiculous that I posted it to PW to participate in Steve Cohen's light-hearted thread about ordering a container load of Chinese pianos and putting the name Steinway & Sons on them laugh .

Best regards,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Rickster. smile

Best,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
its a Swineway..made in Sherwood Forrest! smile

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission