2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
43 members (Colin Miles, andredatele, ando, dhull100, Anglagard44, Burkey, ChrisGoesPiano, 13 invisible), 489 guests, and 488 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NV-10 loud screech from Concert Magic + Recording
#2809529 02/01/19 02:55 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
G
I reported this a while ago but it still seems to be happening on the latest 1.02f firmware. Just wondering if anyone else can repro this:

1. Start a Concert Magic piece (I used Classical Selections--Fur Elise) play a bit of it.
2. Tap Favorites
3. Tap the "Recorder" function within the Favorites screen
4. Start playing

If I do this between 1-3 times, the NV-10 will emit a very loud, constant screeching sound, which modulates with the sustain pedal. It may not happen every time, but I can pretty much reproduce it at will. You can stop the screeching by either power cycling the piano, or going back into the Music tab (where Concert Magic is still active).

I think it has to do with Concert Magic still being "active" if you move away from the Music tab into Favorites. Oddly, Concert Magic exits if you to the Pianist or Sound mode tabs instead.

A related bug(?) is that attempting to stop a recording will fail if you initiate the recording from Favorites after immediately playing in Concert Magic. It will ask you if you want to save the recording to USB (assuming you have a USB drive inserted), and if you select No, the recording will continue (if you record normally, then selecting No will stop the recording).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: NV-10 loud screech from Concert Magic + Recording
Gombessa #2810436 02/04/19 05:17 AM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Hi!

I cannot reproduce the "screeching" on a CA98. I tried different combinations of switching between Favourites/Concert Magic/Recording. However, in some cases the UI got slower and only recovered with a power off. Once the UI froze after saying "No" to a recording and I had to power off the DP.

Other issue I experienced (and I had experienced it in the past when using the MIDI player) happens when switching back and forth between Pianist Mode/Sound Mode/Favourites and the the Music tab (with MIDI files or Concert Magic): in some cases the Music tab freezes completely (it is possible to select the other tabs but pressing the Music tab has no effect); in other cases the navigation arrows or control buttons in the Music player disappear. The navigation arrows often go missing when browsing into a large folder or switching to pianist/sound mode while the music player is reading the contents of a folder. But it does not happen all the time.So, I could not find a find a systematic set of steps that reproduce this bugs.

Other issue that I reported a while ago happens when switching between Pianist Mode and Sound Mode instruments (at least) using Favourites. It seems that some effects/filters/EQ being used in Sound Mode are not properly reset and continue to be applied when switching to Pianist Mode, which results in a significant change in the pianist mode sounds. It only returns to normal after a power off. I experienced this problem quite frequently in the past when I had a number of Pianist + Sound Favourites. But I mostly stopped using Favourites due to this problem and other Favourites management problems, so I never bothered again. But this is another bug that I never found a way to reproduce systematically. Hopefully Kawai is redesigning the whole functionality of the Favourites manager and this bug will be eventually sorted out ;-)

Gombessa #2810559 02/04/19 12:07 PM
G
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for trying Arc7urus, good to know this particular issue doesn't affect the the CA-98.

As for me, I never really know if my daughter has activated Concert Magic at some point during the day when I'm not home, which would cause the loud screeching to start upon recording. It's very consistently reproduceable for me, so I'll take another video and send it to Kawai to address.

I'm still curious to hear whether any NV10 owners here can trigger the problem as well.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Gombessa #2810791 02/04/19 09:13 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
It's very consistently reproduceable for me, so I'll take another video and send it to Kawai to address.

Thank you in advance, Gombessa!

Being able to reproduce an issue consistently (as opposed "sometimes this happens") definitely improves the likelihood that it will be fixed.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Headphones for Digital Piano - your experience
by lukasz-zsakul - 12/04/20 05:10 AM
Is the Hailun 218 solid spruce?
by Sonepica - 12/04/20 04:55 AM
Schiff talked about Bartók's style of playing
by symphonicdance - 12/04/20 01:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,254
Posts3,030,353
Members99,467
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission