Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
111 registered members (anotherscott, AaronSF, aimar, aphexdisklavier, Antihero, accordeur, Anglagard44, akc42, Andy Perkins, 25 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 539 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions #2809228 01/31/19 11:33 PM
A
AB Forum Recital Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Recital #53 is now open for submissions!

It’s nearly Valentine’s Day and piano love is in the air!! It’s time for the 53rd quarterly “Beginners and Beyond” recital hosted by the Piano World Adult Beginners Forum! smile The recital will be posted sometime on the 15th of February, which means that submissions must be in by 9:00 pm Eastern Standard Time, February 14th. Please note this deadline is very firm; I cannot start working on the recital until it is closed, and once it is closed, no new entries can be added.

While any and all styles of music are welcome, we do ask that it be piano related. Only one recording may be submitted per forum member (although that recording may consist of a medley of two or more very short related pieces).

Editing or digital alteration of your performance (other than minor edits such as trimming long silences at the end or beginning of the piece) is counter to the 'live recital' spirit of the AB Forum Recital and is thus strongly discouraged. In any event, any editing should be disclosed in the "additional information" section of the recital submission template.

If you are fairly new to the piano, please do not be intimidated by some of the talent here in the ABF. We all consider ourselves to be beginners even though we may have been playing for some time. And, we LOVE to hear recordings from folks new to the keyboard. So even if you’re on your first Alfred’s method book, we would *really* enjoy hearing from you. heart

Recital submissions must be in MP3 format. The maximum size of the file is 20 MB. We recommend encoding the recording at 192 kbs with a constant bitrate, as that works best with the online streaming player. At that bitrate, a 20 MB file works out to be about 7-9 minutes in length. Your recording will be normalized when placed in the consolidated zip files, but your original link will still be available for those who want it.

If you are new to recording your music, there are several threads in the forum archives that address the ways and means. See the "Important Topics in the AB Forum" thread stickied at the top of the AB forum page. Audacity is an excellent free recording application that can be used.

If you’re new to the forum and the recitals, I encourage you to browse through a few of the past recitals to see what they’re like. An easy way to find past recitals is to use Sam S.’s extremely helpful recital index, located here:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Submitting Your Recording:

We will be using again the absolutely marvelous automatic web-based recital program that mahlzeit wrote for us. You will upload your mp3 file to the recital server as part of the recital submission process.

When you have your mp3 file ready, go to:

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/

and follow the instructions there. Please note that the software does not cope well with international characters, so please convert any such characters to standard American characters. Once you have uploaded your info to the automated recital software, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. You will have the opportunity to revise your submission any time up until the deadline. If you have any problems at all using the website, or if you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within a few hours, just PM me. If you have not participated in past recitals using this software, I strongly encourage you to submit your recital piece at least a day in advance in case you run into any problems with it.

The recital website uses the following submission template to be filled out along with your attached music file. You may want to have your responses to these fields prepared in advance so all you have to do is cut and paste:

Performer's Name: {forum ID and real name if you’d like}
Where you are located: {optional}
Experience: {Yrs/Mos of piano playing experience}
Link to YouTube or other video: {optional}
Home page link: {optional}
Title of piece/composer:
Source of music: {sheet music, improvised score, play-by-ear, etc}
Instrument used: {Piano make, keyboard model, etc.}
Recording method: {audacity, Zoom, digital to PC, etc.}
Constructive technical feedback wanted: {Yes/No}
Additional Info: {Your thoughts on the piece, what you had for lunch, etc.}

The due date for all submissions is 9:00 pm US EASTERN STANDARD TIME on February 14th, 2019.

Did I mention that the 9:00 pm deadline was firm?

Think "consistency of concrete." smirk

By submitting a piece to the recital, you are certifying that it is a recording of your own performance.

Again, the recital order will be presented in the order the pieces were received, so the sooner you send in your piece, the higher you will be on the list! You can revise your entries on the template (e.g., thoughts about your piece, adding YouTube links, and the like) any time and not lose your place in the recital queue, but if you resubmit your recording at any time, for any reason, you will be bumped to the end of the list.

An AB Forum Recital FAQ thread exists that contains this and other information. Should you have any questions at all on what to do or how to do it, do not hesitate to ask. Remember, there are NO stupid questions, as we have a steady flow of new members in AB Forum for whom this is their first recital, so your questions will probably help to eliminate other members’ problems. Please ask away! smile

Let's all go out and brave that Red Dot and share a lot of beautiful music! thumb

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809261 02/01/19 02:38 AM
K
Keselo Offline
K
Submitted, I've never been so early!

Oh, and to join the raffle that seems to be a bit of a tradition, I expect there to be 61 submissions.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809407 02/01/19 10:42 AM
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Oh yes, the raffle! The prize this time is a Bosie Imperial, right? wink Given the big initial burst of entries, I'm going to guess a little higher than average. Let's say 65.

I'm in at 17 with my backup piece, but if my recording sessions go well this weekend I'll resubmit.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.] #2809410 02/01/19 10:46 AM
K
Keselo Offline
K
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Oh yes, the raffle! The prize this time is a Bosie Imperial, right? wink Given the big initial burst of entries, I'm going to guess a little higher than average. Let's say 65.

I'm in at 17 with my backup piece, but if my recording sessions go well this weekend I'll resubmit.

Oh wow, that's a lot of entries already. There's no going back for me, though! 61 already is quite a bit more than during the last recital.

It seems we're at 16 still, with one duplicate submission at 9/10.

Oh, and I do like the sound of that prize, here's to 61 entries!

Last edited by Keselo; 02/01/19 10:47 AM.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809411 02/01/19 10:49 AM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My rule for this recital is one attempt to get a recording per day... No multiple takes! I may not make it...

Sam

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809416 02/01/19 10:56 AM
Monica K. Offline

Actually, there were two duplicates... I deleted both. Hmmm.... I'll still stand with my guess of 65.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809453 02/01/19 12:15 PM
R
RogerRL Offline
R
There is no minimum length, is there? I may be able to pull together one of the short Bach preludes, the rest of my tiny repertoire is in complete disarray at the moment.

Oh, and can I have the Bosie in Burr Walnut? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by RogerRL; 02/01/19 12:17 PM.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: RogerRL] #2809513 02/01/19 02:30 PM
Animisha Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RogerRL
There is no minimum length, is there?

I think I will win the trophy for the shortest piece. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Animisha] #2809514 02/01/19 02:34 PM
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha

I wouldn't be so sure wink

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809682 02/01/19 10:48 PM
F
facdo Offline
F
I just submitted mine, but it appears as two submissions. Some other submissions appear with the same problem. I hope that won't be an issue.

YouTube Channel with all my recordings and my piano progress.
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809794 02/02/19 10:14 AM
Monica K. Offline

Not to worry... I'll check periodically and get rid of duplicates, and I do a final careful check before closing the recital.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2809992 02/02/19 07:31 PM
M
Moo :) Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
I've uploaded mine and this time it is not Mendelssohn !

I'm looking forward to hear the submissions from Schubert - German Dance D783 no. 5 and Moments Musicaux no 4. Fantastic pieces there!

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810067 02/02/19 10:51 PM
cmb13 Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Moo, great piece to record! Looking forward to it. Very ambitious!

I finally put in that tricky Nocturne! For better or for worse, mistakes and all...

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810135 02/03/19 06:48 AM
R
RosemaryGirl Offline
R
Well, I'm really gutted as I really wanted to submit a piece (my first), but now I have a weird ear congestion problem and I literally can't tell whether I'm playing the right notes, let alone doing any of the dynamics right… cry

But in case it gets better in the week, I have one question: does it matter if the sound of the actual piano recording is quite bad? I mean, the actual sound of the piano. I've noticed that when I record on the Yamaha DGX-640 I'm using, on the "Live grand piano" setting, and then I listen to it on a computer, it sounds almost more like a harpsichord than a piano… Is it okay to submit this anyway?

Thanks!

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: RosemaryGirl] #2810154 02/03/19 08:18 AM
Handyman Offline
Originally Posted by RosemaryGirl
Well, I'm really gutted as I really wanted to submit a piece (my first), but now I have a weird ear congestion problem and I literally can't tell whether I'm playing the right notes, let alone doing any of the dynamics right… cry

But in case it gets better in the week, I have one question: does it matter if the sound of the actual piano recording is quite bad? I mean, the actual sound of the piano. I've noticed that when I record on the Yamaha DGX-640 I'm using, on the "Live grand piano" setting, and then I listen to it on a computer, it sounds almost more like a harpsichord than a piano… Is it okay to submit this anyway?

Thanks!

As long as you used a piano or keyboard of some kind or other at some place or other in your recording it's OK...there are no minimum standards for sound quality.

But, is the "harpsichord" sound perhaps the result of your "weird ear congestion", or the poor quality of your computer speakers, or both?

And exactly what does it mean to be "really gutted"? As in a house after a fire or tornado? smile

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: RosemaryGirl] #2810158 02/03/19 08:42 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RosemaryGirl
I've noticed that when I record on the Yamaha DGX-640 I'm using, on the "Live grand piano" setting, and then I listen to it on a computer, it sounds almost more like a harpsichord than a piano…

How are you recording it? Are you recording with an audio recorder, for example using a smartphone? Or as a video recording?

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810182 02/03/19 10:18 AM
AssociateX Offline
I plan to submit the June Barcarolle from Tchaikovsky Seasons but I always flub 2 measures in the middle section, I may re-record and then submit. Hopefully a cleaner take.
Cmb- looking forward to hearing the Nocturne!

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810195 02/03/19 10:59 AM
R
RosemaryGirl Offline
R
To answer Handyman: I'm less gutted than a goose victim on foie gras day, but still pretty annoyed at not being able to hear anything properly… It's so unpleasant, but I should rest on the feeling with equanimity… It will pass in time.

It already sounded a bit rubbish and harpsichordy-like (or piano-toy like) before I had the ear congestion. Even my husband can hear it, and his ears are not so musical…

And to answer Tyrone Slothrop: I'm recording straight from/onto the Yamaha-DGX 640, and then converting the file to mp3 using VLC Media Player. I'm starting to think it's just what this piano sounds like? Maybe I should leave it for now, as I will be using a different DP (mine!) by the time the next recital comes around… Unless there is definitely something I should be doing differently.

Thanks!

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: sinophilia] #2810286 02/03/19 04:18 PM
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted by sinophilia

Without giving any spoilers as to actual length, I will say that Animisha's got you beat, sinophilia. wink

I had a good day today. Not only was I able to get the new Zoom H5 my wonderful hubby got me for Christmas up and running, I also sat down and got a decent recording of my intended Einaudi piece on the second take. That's got to be a record for me and The Red Dot! grin There's one slight hesitation, but no major bloopers, and my recording came within a few seconds of Einaudi's official version, so all in all, I'm counting it as a W. Everybody who submitted behind me is now moving up a spot.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810318 02/03/19 05:57 PM
Jason Lenthe Online Content
Online Content
I'm in at 27 with Granada. Skipped going the Super Bowl party in order to get a quiet house to record in. I had to go with my backup piece this time. At least I have my recording for the Bach recital next month already.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810371 02/03/19 10:23 PM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I don't think you missed much by missing the Super Bowl. It was very uneventful.

My submission is probably uneventful as well, a piece by Heinrich Hofmann. It's nice, and I noticed the name wasn't already in the list of composers, so I thought I'd add to it. Maybe I'll work on a new Einaudi piece after listening to the submissions.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2810378 02/03/19 11:00 PM
scorpio Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
... the Super Bowl. It was very uneventful.

That's not how I would describe it. A great defensive gem. Something the game of football sorely needs.
[sorry for the off topic post]

Looking forward to the recital ... these recitals are never uneventful. wink

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810414 02/04/19 02:35 AM
R
RogerRL Offline
R
Okay, I did it, first submission! I choose to stray from the standard repertoire and played a prelude I sight transcribed from a classical guitar suite by Argentinian composer Maximo Diego Pujol. I think there is so much extraordinary music being written by contemporary composers in South America that builds on the classical foundations of European music yet contain a national character that makes it both unique and special. Anyway, I can't get enough of it, I wanted to play something by somebody living, and this was a simple enough piece for me to pull it together quickly.

Shigaru Kawai SK-2, Kawai MP11SE
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810426 02/04/19 03:46 AM
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Interesting submission list, so far. Though I must say, my "desire-for-neatness-reflex" lets me stumble at Peyton's submission from the new-to-me composer "Einuadi"... grin

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.] #2810452 02/04/19 06:31 AM
sinophilia Offline

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sinophilia

Without giving any spoilers as to actual length, I will say that Animisha's got you beat, sinophilia. wink

Ouch! I knew it had to be played faster! laugh

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: RogerRL] #2810455 02/04/19 07:05 AM
cmb13 Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Okay, I did it, first submission! I choose to stray from the standard repertoire and played a prelude I sight transcribed from a classical guitar suite by Argentinian composer Maximo Diego Pujol. I think there is so much extraordinary music being written by contemporary composers in South America that builds on the classical foundations of European music yet contain a national character that makes it both unique and special. Anyway, I can't get enough of it, I wanted to play something by somebody living, and this was a simple enough piece for me to pull it together quickly.

That sounds interesting! Looking forward to it.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: RogerRL] #2810462 02/04/19 07:41 AM
R
RosemaryGirl Offline
R
I've done it! Ooh la la!!

Had to send it twice because I'm a little challenged with clicks of the mouse sometimes, sorry about that — it's the exact same file twice. It's a Schumann kiddie song, as I've been learning for 4 months… and I'm quite child-like!

Never mind the ear infection, I thought I better send it in anyway…

And this sounds super intriguing. As my first love was the classical guitar, I very much look forward to this!

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2810929 02/05/19 09:16 AM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'm in - I think we are up to 30+ submissions now.

Now I can go do something else!

Sam

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Moo :)] #2811202 02/05/19 11:03 PM
D
dumka1 Offline
D
Originally Posted by Moo :)
I've uploaded mine and this time it is not Mendelssohn !

I'm looking forward to hear the submissions from Schubert - German Dance D783 no. 5 and Moments Musicaux no 4. Fantastic pieces there!

Mendelssohn is covered! smile

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2812592 02/09/19 06:12 AM
Handyman Offline
I'm in at No. 32 (of 33) with a David Lanz "Love Song" just in time for Valentine's Day ...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2812859 02/09/19 07:55 PM
Monica K. Offline

I was expecting a big influx of submissions on the weekend, but we're holding at 33... my guess of 65 for the final number of submissions is looking overly optimistic. eek

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2812890 02/09/19 09:17 PM
G
greywullf Offline
G
I'm in.
We are likely to be snowed in next week, so I may get a chance to record again before the deadline. (Or I may not, as the kids will also be home from school.)

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2813029 02/10/19 08:34 AM
QuasiUnaFantasia Offline
Apparently mp3 with 192kbps at constant bitrate is recommended because of the streaming server. Does that mean that encoding at a higher bitrate (eg. 320kbps) at constant bitrate would be a bad idea?

Last edited by QuasiUnaFantasia; 02/10/19 08:35 AM.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Pianoteq 6.5 (Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2), Garritan CFX Lite, Production Voices Estate Grand
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: QuasiUnaFantasia] #2813060 02/10/19 10:32 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
Apparently mp3 with 192kbps at constant bitrate is recommended because of the streaming server. Does that mean that encoding at a higher bitrate (eg. 320kbps) at constant bitrate would be a bad idea?

Not at all. It can be any bit rate. It's just the file size can't exceed a certain amount I think, I can't remember what size though (10 MB?). I encode mine at 256 constant.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2813120 02/10/19 02:18 PM
Handyman Offline
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Not at all. It can be any bit rate. It's just the file size can't exceed a certain amount I think, I can't remember what size though (10 MB?). I encode mine at 256 constant.

20 MB - allows for 7-9 minutes of music...

John

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2813234 02/10/19 06:44 PM
AssociateX Offline
In at # 38 with Schubert's Moments Musicaux # 3. I had planned to submit the Tchaikovsky Seasons (June) but every time I heard the recording I just kept hating it more and more - finding details that I know would sound better on another take..And then when I would record it again the next day, there would be an awkward pause somewhere else, or a missed chord, and I just said "screw this" and decided to submit something else. Ironically the Schubert piece is what I am working on right now w/ my teacher, so there are 1 or 2 spots in the middle which seem slower but overall, this is the best take I have gotten for this piece.
I may submit the June piece for the next recital when I may feel more comfortable having memorized it fully by then.

~~~~~~~
My Practice/Progress YouTube Channel :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNj0Yha5exOWuJMTezV3t8Q
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2813320 02/10/19 10:35 PM
R
Ralphiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I can't wait to hear it, AssociateX. It's one of my favorites.

There was a recording of it in my Casio P-760 that I listened to a lot. Until I sold it. cry

But, the other day I attended a recital by Daria Rabotkina, and she played MMs 2-6. It was wonderful.

Don't worry about slow. This piece gets played at many different speeds by different pianists. And, they all make it sound so nice. And, rubato seems to be very accepted with this piece.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX Lite
Pianist since April, 2015
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2814137 02/12/19 03:00 PM
J
jotur Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Merry Christmas.

newbert - I'm looking forward to Misty. I've played it in the past, but I have trouble keeping it in my fingers, so I'd have to relearn it now.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps “more music” is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2814334 02/12/19 10:00 PM
M
Micael K. Offline
M
I'll try to make sure to not miss the deadline by a few hours this time.. still not sure what to present though, either a ragtime or a really weird/funny piece from Poulenc? First suggestion wins!

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2814362 02/12/19 11:59 PM
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm in at 47....I think next time...I need to challenge myself.
So much for thinking ahead.

Cheers!!!

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2814363 02/13/19 12:04 AM
CadenzaVvi Offline
Oh, this is a really smaller recital than the one I hoped in in the past.

I wonder if I'll hit the record button tomorrow. I didn't intend to participate, but my Rameau is at listenable state, even though it is still a work in progress. I might submit a version and hope for useful comments to improve until my exam! ... I'll see how motivated I am tomorrow night. smile

My piano journey from day 1
Started piano on February 2016.
Pieces I'm working on :
- Rameau, Les Sauvages
- Mozart, K545, 1st mov
- Chopin, nocturne op. posth. in C# minor
- Debussy, Golliwog's cakewalk
- Pozzoli, E.R. 427, etude no. 6
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Micael K.] #2814388 02/13/19 03:10 AM
K
Keselo Offline
K
Originally Posted by Micael K.
I'll try to make sure to not miss the deadline by a few hours this time.. still not sure what to present though, either a ragtime or a really weird/funny piece from Poulenc? First suggestion wins!

Poulenc!

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Keselo] #2814517 02/13/19 11:25 AM
P
PianogrlNW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Keselo

Poulenc!

Movement Perpetuals??

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2814845 02/13/19 09:15 PM
M
Micael K. Offline
M
Poulenc wins! Just got in at #48.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Micael K.] #2814847 02/13/19 09:24 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member

Why does the countdown clock say the deadline is still in 23 hours and 36 mins? I thought today at 9pm was the deadline. Not that it helps me. I don't have my Clementi at tempo and nothing else decent is in playable shape.

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2814849 02/13/19 09:35 PM
Sam S Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Why does the countdown clock say the deadline is still in 23 hours and 36 mins? I thought today at 9pm was the deadline. Not that it helps me. I don't have my Clementi at tempo and nothing else decent is in playable shape.

The deadline is on the 14th. Recital goes live on the 15th. So the clock is correct, more or less. Don't try to "beat the clock" at the last minute - the recital closes when Monica decides it closes...

Sam

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2814867 02/13/19 10:34 PM
mr_super-hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I'm a little bummed but it looks like I'll be sitting this one out after all. frown I'm on a digital right now and can't access the acoustic piano due to current weather conditions.

My Zoom H2 recorder won't switch over from the external mics to the line input feed when recording digitally (which it should automatically) so I can't transfer the recording over from the digital piano to the Zoom recorder. I can only record on the Zoom acoustically, not digitally. This is usually not a problem when I make an acoustic recording playing the acoustic piano, but the speakers on my digital sound horrible and sound even worse when recorded as opposed to using decent headphones to hear the music. But that's okay, I'll just submit my piece next time along with (hopefully) a decent recording of it on the Mighty Mason.

Meanwhile, I get to listen to everyone else's submission with no self imposed stress so I guess it's all good.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2814869 02/13/19 10:41 PM
O
outo Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
Cannot make it this time, been far too busy to even think about recording...next time!

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: mr_super-hunky] #2814947 02/14/19 04:20 AM
Handyman Offline
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
I'm a little bummed but it looks like I'll be sitting this one out after all. frown I'm on a digital right now and can't access the acoustic piano due to current weather conditions.

Sorry to hear this Mr. S...your piece is always one of the highlights of any recital...

Last edited by Handyman; 02/14/19 04:20 AM.

John

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Sam S] #2815291 02/14/19 04:28 PM
Monica K. Offline

Originally Posted by Sam S

The deadline is on the 14th. Recital goes live on the 15th. So the clock is correct, more or less. Don't try to "beat the clock" at the last minute - the recital closes when Monica decides it closes...

Sam

What he said. laugh And that will be 9:00 pm this evening (EST). Don't expect to see the recital thread posted right away, though. Hubby, inexplicably, does not have "Administer AB Forum Recital" at the top of his list of preferred Valentine's Day activities. wink

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.] #2815292 02/14/19 04:30 PM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
Hubby, inexplicably, does not have "Administer AB Forum Recital" at the top of his list of preferred Valentine's Day activities. wink

Hope that means you are getting wined and dined tonight! If you haven't already, you should make clear your list of preferred Valentine's Day activities do not involve the kitchen wink grin

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2815325 02/14/19 05:11 PM
Monica K. Offline

Hubby, inexplicably, does not have "Administer AB Forum Recital" at the top of his list of preferred Valentine's Day activities. wink

Hope that means you are getting wined and dined tonight! If you haven't already, you should make clear your list of preferred Valentine's Day activities do not involve the kitchen wink grin

You bet!! I refuse to cook on Valentine's Day. However, my hubby refuses to go out for Valentine's Day; he calls it "amateur night's out" and correctly points out that it is a nightmare. We resolve the stand-off by ordering carry out and having a wonderful time at home. heart

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2815336 02/14/19 05:30 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I swear I only clicked the next button once, but somehow my piece got submitted twice. Sorry about that whatever I did!

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Chrispy] #2815337 02/14/19 05:34 PM
K
Keselo Offline
K
Originally Posted by squidbot
I swear I only clicked the next button once, but somehow my piece got submitted twice. Sorry about that whatever I did!

That happens to me pretty much every time I submit something to a recital here, no idea what gives.

[Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.] #2815349 02/14/19 05:59 PM
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

....You bet!! I refuse to cook on Valentine's Day. However, my hubby refuses to go out for Valentine's Day; he calls it "amateur night's out" and correctly points out that it is a nightmare. We resolve the stand-off by ordering carry out and having a wonderful time at home.

We usually have a whole Peking duck at our favourite Chinese restaurant. We’ve done it for decades, the only problem is that we feel like poisoned pups the morning after, i. e. as I write this.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Ted] #2815350 02/14/19 06:03 PM
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ted

We usually have a whole Peking duck at our favourite Chinese restaurant. We’ve done it for decades, the only problem is that we feel like poisoned pups the morning after, i. e. as I write this.

You made me think of Chinese turkey, different holiday, but it's what came to mind (start at about 1:12) laugh

Last edited by squidbot; 02/14/19 06:05 PM.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords)
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Monica K.] #2815357 02/14/19 06:16 PM
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

Sam

What he said. laugh And that will be 9:00 pm this evening (EST). Don't expect to see the recital thread posted right away, though. Hubby, inexplicably, does not have "Administer AB Forum Recital" at the top of his list of preferred Valentine's Day activities. wink

I fondly thought Valentine's day was about spotty shy teenage boys and the girl who they fancied . . .the card was meant to conceal the identity of the sender.
Then restaurants and other places of entertainment saw it as a means of furthering their business, and it caught on.
Me and 'Er are much too old and cantankerous for that stuff. Funnily enough, so's my son and his wife . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: Chrispy] #2815371 02/14/19 06:46 PM
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by squidbot
Originally Posted by Ted

You made me think of Chinese turkey, different holiday, but it's what came to mind (start at about 1:12) laugh

Funny. Our Peking duck is always beautifully cooked and delectable to eat, but we invariably overindulge, requiring increased exercise the next day.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2815388 02/14/19 07:30 PM
Pathbreaker Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Looks like another last minute submission for me. I have 2 possibilities that are works in progress. They are at about 3/4 tempo...a Brahms intermezzo or Faure Nocturne. I thought I would have a better recording of the Faure by now but it's just not cooperating. So I'm going to coin toss on my recent recordings for these two...unless I get a gem in in the next hour smile

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2815416 02/14/19 09:10 PM
S
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
YAY I did it and got something in before the deadline! So sad that I've missed the past few years of these, but sometimes life gets in the way, y'know? laugh

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: jotur] #2815417 02/14/19 09:16 PM
N
newbert Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by jotur
Merry Christmas.

newbert - I'm looking forward to Misty. I've played it in the past, but I have trouble keeping it in my fingers, so I'd have to relearn it now.

Thank you, Cathy. I hope that it doesn't disappointed. You may have set the bar too high now.... wink

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2816236 02/16/19 03:41 PM
S
Snejana Offline
S
I am so bummed about this missing this one. I thought it was in March for some reason frown. I never figured out if there is some kind of notifications to be enabled for specific posts. I don't have time to be casually browsing through the posts, and I was wondering how do people keep up with when the recitals are.

Re: Recital 53 --- Call For Submissions [Re: AB Forum Recital] #2816239 02/16/19 03:42 PM
cmb13 Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Snejana, they are ever quarter....so the next will be around May 15. The submissions can entered on around 2/1, 5/1, 8/1, 11/1.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

ad
Rob Mullins Holiday Album
Rob Mullins Holiday Album

Rob is an amazing jazz pianist in LA,a composer, and a friend of mine.
Frank B. / Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
Christmas Ornaments Music Theme
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Posters Ignorance is Bliss
by Mr Jazz Man - 12/15/19 04:11 PM
Recordings - and comparing pianos
by Colin Miles - 12/15/19 03:56 PM
Why are bridge pins so short?
by Ralphiano - 12/15/19 01:22 PM
What does a big grand do for you in your home?
by Beemer - 12/15/19 12:52 PM
Played a Clavinova at the PianoBuddies recital
by Rickster - 12/15/19 11:53 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,673
Posts2,901,943
Members95,249
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission