2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pologuy Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Anyone hear the new monitor speakers from Kali Audio...?

They are getting rave reviews from the pros and enthusiasts alike.

https://www.musictech.net/reviews/kali-audio-lp-6-review/

Looking to purchase: Kawai MP(12), or Kawai VPC(2), or something Yamaha...
Current: Yamaha Synthesizer
Previous: Kawai CP205, Kawai CP207, Yamaha Synthesizers
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don't be swayed by reviews. They all say the same things. This line from your linked review is boilerplate typical:
"The LP-6s deliver a sound that punches well above their price point. If you were to blind test them against speakers a lot higher in price tag, I’m pretty sure you’d be surprised as how well they stand up."

It's always the same. Every product is said to compete against others that cost much more ... which is, of course, not possible.

S
S
+1 on this request. It's healthy to be skeptical of reviews, but there are many LP-6 reviews out there at this point and not one of them is negative. The LP6's definitely merit a test listen and I hope to free up soon to try them out.

R
R
I've listed them shortly, using my VSTi piano and as a price are OK and acceptable, especially just for playing.
Probably they are available in many music stores. You could to listen then personally.

Kawai VPC1 | Arturia Minilab Mk2
Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Arturia Analog Lab Lite | Korg Collection
Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR225i
cornet Olds Ambassador, Hohner harmonicas and melodicas
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
IIRC the people that designed this speaker came from JBL, and inspired by the LSR 305 (something along those lines) which has been very popular, this may well have contributed to the hype train somewhat, they have been promoted/marketed heavily I noticed.

Otherwise I have no idea, never heard them. Presumably at that sort of LSR 305 price point give them a try, I wouldn't expect wonders but good bang for the buck, there is so much competition around this price point these days.

This is what Guttenberg had to say recently

https://www.cnet.com/news/kali-audio-lp-6-a-knockout-speaker-with-a-surprisingly-affordable-price/

I did notice the hiss levels were quite noticeable and lacking depth in soundstage in the JBL 305 too when I tried them ages ago, it seems to be present in these too according to this review, and not too refined as he puts it, as is the case with most monitors at this price point ... often times.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
J
J
I recently got back into Piano and upgraded an old Casio to a Kawai MP11SE, which stretched my budget. I wanted to keep the speaker cost down. Based on reviews I had found, I tried the Kali LP-6's.

Pro's:
- They sound very good for the price
- Basic equalizer adjustments with dip switches
- XLR & TRS input
- Responsive customer support

Con's:
- Hiss... On one of the reviews, someone had posted that it was only noticeable right at the speaker. This was not true for both of mine. The hiss was audible at 5' away and very annoying at the piano seating position.

The hiss is there with only the power cord connected and no difference with the speaker volume dial position all the way down. I contacted Kali and their response was to try a Furman power conditioner. I wanted to keep the speakers and was concerned that dimmers or other interference was the issue so I tried the power conditioner. It made zero difference, which indicated the internal amp was the source.

So I returned the Kali's for Yamaha HS-7's which are about twice the price. The HS7's have a very slight hiss right at the speaker and inaudible at the seated position. Huge difference!

For the money, I think Kali's would be worth considering for their intended purpose of music mixing or listening away from the speakers. But the hiss was too loud for Piano in my opinion.

Jeff

Last edited by jmKeys; 02/02/19 03:13 PM.

Kawai MP11SE
Sound: Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD600
Headphone Amp: Schitt Jotunheim
Stand: K&M Omega
For Travel: Casio PX-S3000 and Pelican IM3410 Case
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Guttenberg says that they're a bit bright & gritty, but didn't say whether the EQ (DIP switches) improved that partcular aspect or not.
Re the hiss, I tihink that would only bother me if I could hear it during actual playing.

Greg.

J
J
The changes with the equalizer dip switches were subtle to my ear, but I do not have any room acoustical treatment.

The hiss was most distracting to me when I stopped and paused playing. The only way to know for sure if it is going to be an issue is trying them at home.

When I was at the music shop, I noticed all the monitor speakers had a hiss. Just some where louder then others. They didn’t carry the Kali’s in store.

They sound great for the price in my opinion for general listening. Just test with only the power cable connected to get the sound floor from the speaker to see if it is ok or not.

Kawai MP11SE
Sound: Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD600
Headphone Amp: Schitt Jotunheim
Stand: K&M Omega
For Travel: Casio PX-S3000 and Pelican IM3410 Case
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
There are a lot of things that can cause hiss. Cheap cables being a biggie, and the input master volume set too high. I have a set of JBL-308's after I ordered them, I saw some reviews about them having bad hiss. When I installed them I plugged them into my FA-08 and there was a loud hiss. Turning the input on the speakers down to about 75% instead of fully maxed out and using a pair of balanced TRS cables completely erased any hiss. In fact I sometimes forget to turn them off after turning the piano off. I can't hear anything out of the speakers when the FA-08 is off.

I have a Roland CM-220 set two satellite speakers with a sub it was marketed as a keyboard amp. When I bought it there were reviews on the internet complaining about hiss.
Again yes, if the master volume is at or near 100%, very loud hiss! Back it off and use a decent set of cables, no hiss. I use these speakers with my gig rig at home. A Kurzweil SP6 and a Behringer Deep Mind 12 or sometimes a Roland VR-09. No hiss, at all.

Both of these systems can be very LOUD. Lowering the master volume to about 75% on both systems can still produce sound levels louder than a real grand piano playing fff. Louder than I ever want to play them in my house! I shoot for the loudest I want the piano to ever ever be at about the 2 o'clock position on my piano. I set the volume on the speakers to the point where that is the case. Which is usually about 60% - 75% of the speakers input volume.

I do the same with PA systems, it limits how deaf your audience will be in the case of feedback. I see quite a few bands have their powered speakers maxed and use the mixer to adjust volume. Lowering the speaker input a bit does the same thing, lowers the noise level when nothing is going through the system.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 02/04/19 04:30 PM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission