2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, 10 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jazzpig #2808618 01/30/19 01:28 PM
J
jazzpig Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by jazzpig

I find that playing most 7th chords from a root position (with left hand) is a real challenge physically. It feels like I'm contorting my fingers and they get trapped in the keys. I don't know if this a result of me trying to learn this later in life with older hands, or something that is overcome with practice, it feels so unnatural. I would love to hear your experience on this.

I'ld like to revisit this concern I have. Does anybody have any thoughts on this, I see others play these chords seemingly effortlessly and it just feels so off for me.
Let me know if you can.

jazzpig #2808632 01/30/19 02:03 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

I find that playing most 7th chords from a root position (with left hand) is a real challenge physically. It feels like I'm contorting my fingers and they get trapped in the keys. I don't know if this a result of me trying to learn this later in life with older hands, or something that is overcome with practice, it feels so unnatural. I would love to hear your experience on this.

I'ld like to revisit this concern I have. Does anybody have any thoughts on this, I see others play these chords seemingly effortlessly and it just feels so off for me.
Let me know if you can.

Yes, a lot of times you get chords where most of the notes are naturals, but the 7 lands on a black key -- like C7. Especially in the "easy" keys like C, F, and G. You have to get your thumb up onto a black while the rest of the notes are whites. If your fingers don't fit between the blacks, like mine, that's a pain. One solution is to transpose to a "hard" key -- which actually is easy on your hands, just a little more work for your brain.

Rocket's suggestion of dropping some notes is a good one. Often the 5 is a good one to lose. But the 3 is what makes it major or minor, so that one you usually need.

Inversions might work -- I find C7/E a whole lot easier to play than C7 -- but the danger there is compromising the bass for the sake of convenience.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
jazzpig #2808634 01/30/19 02:12 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This post is a little out of sequence due to editing.

Can you post a video of your playing some chords with the Left hand?

Pretty much impossible to comment accurately with such limited information. It is like posting "I don't feel good" and asking for accurate medical advice.

In any case, here are some possible causes of your problem:

* Sitting too close to the keyboard

* Sitting too far to the right or the left so the wrist is twisted while playing chords

* Fingers too thick to fit into the black keys

* Playing too many notes of the chord...the left hand plays in the area of the keyboard where a full chord can sound muddy. Drop a note, (often the 5th) and chords get much easier to play, and are less muddy. (This also can help with thick fingers)

For example, if the music calls for a C7 chord in the left hand, you can play C with the 5th finger, and Bb with the thumb, and fill in other note(s) with the Right hand. And A G7 chord with the left hand sounds good with G played with the 5th finger, and F and G played together with the thumb...a bit unconventional with Classical fingering, but it works well.

BTW, can you find a piano teacher? A good teacher can quickly identify the problem and (possibly) come up with a workable solution. I have had numerous people show up for their first lesson after learning from a bad teacher or from internet videos and/or books, and the cause(s) of the problem they want help with is easily identifiable to a knowledgable onlooker, yet was a mystery to them, and given their abilities, probably not something they could find and fix.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
JohnSprung #2808652 01/30/19 02:55 PM
J
jazzpig Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Rocket's suggestion of dropping some notes is a good one. Often the 5 is a good one to lose. But the 3 is what makes it major or minor, so that one you usually need.

Inversions might work -- I find C7/E a whole lot easier to play than C7 -- but the danger there is compromising the bass for the sake of convenience.

Dropping the 5 does make it much easier but it sounds a little hollow and compromises the tone significantly in my opinion.

I agree, I prefer C7/E to C7 but I also feel that it's less of a compromise than dropping the 5, in the bigger picture. At least that's what it sounds like to my ear.

Thanks

rocket88 #2808657 01/30/19 03:10 PM
J
jazzpig Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by rocket88

* Sitting too close to the keyboard

* Sitting too far to the right or the left so the wrist is twisted while playing chords

BTW, can you find a piano teacher? A good teacher can quickly identify the problem and (possibly) come up with a workable solution. I have had numerous people show up for their first lesson after learning from a bad teacher or from internet videos and/or books, and the cause(s) of the problem they want help with is easily identifiable to a knowledgable onlooker, yet was a mystery to them, and given their abilities, probably not something they could find and fix.

I made some adjustments in both areas and I can't believe the difference! We'll see to what extent it will resolve my issues, but with the few chords I tried, it's like night and day.

I have a 61 key portable that I got as a gift, that I practice on. Funny enough, when I practice scales and Hanon I adjust my seating but I never have for practicing chords. Don't ask me why. I'm looking to pick up a good quality 88 key portable very soon, before I find a teacher.

Yes, I've come to the conclusion that I want to find a teacher much sooner than later. As I mentioned in a previous post, I realize I'm spinning my wheels too much.

Thanks

Last edited by jazzpig; 01/30/19 03:14 PM.
jazzpig #2808659 01/30/19 03:15 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
That is good news! Sometimes a small adjustment can make all the difference in the world, like taking a pebble out of your shoe. laugh

BTW, many if not most 61 note keyboards have smaller keys that are both shorter and narrower as compared to the keys on an acoustic piano, or to an 88 key weighted keyboard that imitates a piano.

That factor alone could be a significant part of your problem.

Best wishes!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
rocket88 #2808669 01/30/19 03:31 PM
J
jazzpig Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by rocket88

BTW, many if not most 61 note keyboards have smaller keys that are both shorter and narrower as compared to the keys on an acoustic piano, or to an 88 key weighted keyboard that imitates a piano.

That factor alone could be a significant part of your problem. !

I agree, Whenever I 've fiddled around on an acoustic or 88 weighted keyboard, it really felt like my hands could "breathe".

Thanks again.

jazzpig #2808688 01/30/19 04:15 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm looking to pick up a good quality 88 key portable very soon, before I find a teacher.

You might want to reverse that order, so your teacher can have some input on the make/model decision....

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
JohnSprung #2808700 01/30/19 04:57 PM
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G

Where do you get those wonderful well arranged lead sheets? The ones I've seen can be OK, or they can be very mundane and prosaic.

My Dad wrote them. I have 100's but there are 1000's. My Sister has the mother load. Yes unfortunately commercial music is rarely very good. Agree you may often need to make an arrangement better, but usually they will need a lot more then just an alternate bass note.

JohnSprung #2808721 01/30/19 05:48 PM
J
jazzpig Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I'm looking to pick up a good quality 88 key portable very soon, before I find a teacher.

You might want to reverse that order, so your teacher can have some input on the make/model decision....

That's the smart move. Thanks so much!

Greener #2808733 01/30/19 06:40 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Greener
My Dad wrote them. I have 100's but there are 1000's. My Sister has the mother load. Yes unfortunately commercial music is rarely very good. .

It would be great if you could publish some of them. The rights hassles are potentially daunting, but anything from 1923 and earlier is PD. That means the Charleston is PD now. Next year 1924 goes PD, and so forth up to 1963.... Maybe do a book every few years as songs become available....

http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/copyright-duration2.html

-- J.S.

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission