2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
71 members (astrotoy, clothearednincompo, CaseyVancouver, anotherscott, BlakeOR, Animisha, AcousticAndre, 15 invisible), 557 guests, and 407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2807406 01/27/19 02:26 PM
E
OP Offline
E
hello all, so since i have a few months of free time, i decided to learn a new piece, mainly procrastinating between fantasie impromptu , and maybe the pathetique 1st movement

can you guys point out some recommendations? which one of these in your opinion will take longer to learn? and in terms of difficulty what would you suggest? (which one is harder)

i know these pieces are very overrated but still, i like them, chopin has the annoying polyrhythms, but the pathetique is much longer

thanks in advance

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
The hard part of the Fantasie Impromptu is not the polyrhythms if you know how to approach them. The Pathetique may be a little longer but, like the FI, it's quite repetitious in terms of its technical demands. I suggest choosing the one you love the most.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/27/19 04:20 PM.
E
OP Offline
E
thanks alot, also, as i am a bit rusty, maybe you could suggest me a few easier pieces, to get the technique better? i thought about learning op 79 first movement first, but i´d like to hear more options if you could

Online Content
Originally Posted by espantoso
thanks alot, also, as i am a bit rusty, maybe you could suggest me a few easier pieces, to get the technique better? i thought about learning op 79 first movement first, but i´d like to hear more options if you could
There are thousands of possibilities. We also know almost nothing about your level. What pieces have you played in the past? What composers are you interested in?

E
OP Offline
E
i really dont mind the composer, i have played some grade 10 rcm or grade 8 abrsm pieces, i like rhythmic melodies, more like the pathetique´s 3rd (im playing that) , and less clair de lune
ive played many joplin rags too, didnt have much trouble with them (maple leaf rag, sugar cane, etc)

Online Content
Originally Posted by espantoso
i really dont mind the composer, i have played some grade 10 rcm or grade 8 abrsm pieces, i like rhythmic melodies, more like the pathetique´s 3rd (im playing that) , and less clair de lune
There are still so many choices. A few composers or at least musical period preference would be useful.

C
C
You could learn the Pathetique first movement. Since you can already play the third movement, and the second movement isn't too difficult, you'd have completed the whole set. I think that's an accomplishment on its own. laugh

C
C
well, i dont have any preference regarding to the composers, i guess beethoven, mozart, scott joplin, chopin, rachmaninov, schuman, schubert, haydn, should do
ive never really looked up at the composers, but rather tried to learn grade 8 abrsm pieces from their syllabus

chronos1701 , yeah but the 1st pathetique is harder than the third, i cant understand people saying the third is harder. yes, the third is difficult to play well because you need nimble fingers , and while the notes arent too difficult, its a bit of a challenge to pull it off nicely, but on the other hand the first has the very annoying tremolos, is generally longer, with more difficult parts in it, notes are notably more difficult , and is set to the dipabrsm

Online Content
Originally Posted by Cuphead
well, i dont have any preference regarding to the composers, i guess beethoven, mozart, scott joplin, chopin, rachmaninov, schuman, schubert, haydn, should do
ive never really looked up at the composers, but rather tried to learn grade 8 abrsm pieces from their syllabus
If you can generally handle grade 8 then my suggestion would be to listen to different works from that list on Youtube and choose ones you like the most. If grade 8 proves generally to difficult, try the grade 7 list. There are 100s or 1000s of possibilities, and any specific suggestions are mostly personal preferences of the poster and not necessarily ones you'd like.

Sogno Di Volare!!

Not too hard, but with proper dynamics... The first time I heard it, I just stopped everything and listened.

Q

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,152
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission