2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Just watched through Amazon stuff on music theory books,guides etc. There are such a vast majoruty of it. Can anyone suggest a book or a couple that contains information about music theory, chord progressions, harmony, basics of composing?

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Check out this earlier thread for a number of recommendations. The recommendations of a professional pianist are here.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thnak you Tyrone, I'll watch now.

If you wonder what may happen if you start learning piano as an adult (at the age of 33, for example) - subscribe my channel and let's find this out together:)
YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My teacher recommended Mark Sarnecki, Complete Elementary Music Rudiments. He has books on harmony as well although I haven't looked at those yet.

https://bookstore.rcmusic.com/us_st...tary-music-rudiments-2nd-edition_p5562U/

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

S
S
Hal Leonard Pocket Music Theory is very concise and has a lot of solid theory concepts in a small package. Something I refer back to regularly and re-read.

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStartsAt33

The second link I provided above reviews the 3rd of these.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Yeah, you are right smile I decided only that "Level one" book is not necessary and stopped on "Level two" book.

Last edited by PianoStartsAt33; 01/28/19 11:31 AM.

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Yeah, you are right smile I decided only that "Level one" book is not necessary and stopped on "Level two" book.

The third book also didn't receive great reviews - too repetitive and exhaustively detailed - so this might just be like the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

[Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Guy, hasn't anyone read this 1000-pages book? Does it realy embrace all the theoretical aspects musician neeeds? https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Mus...7093/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Guy, hasn't anyone read this 1000-pages book? Does it realy embrace all the theoretical aspects musician neeeds? https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Mus...7093/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

You can find the table of contents here. Seems very light on contemporary music, although it has a final unit that touches lightly on it. Author appears to be the chairman of the Music Theory department at Julliard, so I'm sure it is authoritative enough though, for classical music. It's expensive because if you are self learning, it appears there are many workbooks and guides that go with the main textbook.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

You can find the table of contents here. Seems very light on contemporary music, although it has a final unit that touches lightly on it. Author appears to be the chairman of the Music Theory department at Julliard, so I'm sure it is authoritative enough though, for classical music. It's expensive because if you are self learning, it appears there are many workbooks and guides that go with the main textbook.

Very helpful! Thanks Tyrone!

[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Pianostarts, have you considered taking music theory lessons? I had taken theory two and a half years, I really learned a lot. It certainly helps with learning music, because I now read more than just the notes. I look at phrasing, cadences, sequences, voicing, roman numerals, and music notations. I now only take theory just over the summer, focusing on jazz theory. I have used Udemy those course were really reasonable.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
https://www.robijntilanus.nl/en/product/book-on-harmony-the-fifth-factor/

Review in Music Magazine ‘PIANO BULLETIN’ of EPTA-Netherlands:
“This book on harmony is unique in its kind. Unique, in the first place because Tilanus does not deal with the subject employing lots of theoretical rules, leading up to the making of compositions for four-part choir, but carefully constructs harmonic insight from the most fundamental start. A pupil who has just started can deal with the subject matter of the first chapter. Whereas the contents of the final chapters is more suitable for students at the music academy.

“An unique masterpiece.” – Magazine ‘Free Netherlands’
“The Fifth Factor deals with the instruction of the theory of harmony in a completely new way. Very inspiring. This book supplies a want. Highly recommended for every musician.” – Music Magazine ‘World of Music’

“Robijn Tilanus explains classical harmony in a very clear and extremely attractive way. The Fifth Factor may be called the standard book on harmony for all pupils and students in music education” – Music Magazine ‘The Organ’

“Renewing. Refreshing.” – Newspaper ‘Fidelity’
“This book gives a lot of pleasure! The student is addressed in an intelligible and fascinating way, taken by the hand and led to improvising. A very important book. It is evident from everything that the author has thought about the subject in great depth. She really understands how music works. I cannot say it more briefly than Willem Brons did in his foreword: “This book is just what the doctor ordered!” – Music Magazine ‘The Pyramid’

“Finally, a book that succeeds in explaining harmony in a really exciting way. Extraordinary. You have to try it!” – Music Magazine ‘The Harpsichord’

Last edited by johan d; 01/30/19 03:29 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by johan d

Review in Music Magazine ‘PIANO BULLETIN’ of EPTA-Netherlands:
“This book on harmony is unique in its kind. Unique, in the first place because Tilanus does not deal with the subject employing lots of theoretical rules, leading up to the making of compositions for four-part choir, but carefully constructs harmonic insight from the most fundamental start. A pupil who has just started can deal with the subject matter of the first chapter. Whereas the contents of the final chapters is more suitable for students at the music academy.

“An unique masterpiece.” – Magazine ‘Free Netherlands’
“The Fifth Factor deals with the instruction of the theory of harmony in a completely new way. Very inspiring. This book supplies a want. Highly recommended for every musician.” – Music Magazine ‘World of Music’

“Robijn Tilanus explains classical harmony in a very clear and extremely attractive way. The Fifth Factor may be called the standard book on harmony for all pupils and students in music education” – Music Magazine ‘The Organ’

“Renewing. Refreshing.” – Newspaper ‘Fidelity’
“This book gives a lot of pleasure! The student is addressed in an intelligible and fascinating way, taken by the hand and led to improvising. A very important book. It is evident from everything that the author has thought about the subject in great depth. She really understands how music works. I cannot say it more briefly than Willem Brons did in his foreword: “This book is just what the doctor ordered!” – Music Magazine ‘The Pyramid’

“Finally, a book that succeeds in explaining harmony in a really exciting way. Extraordinary. You have to try it!” – Music Magazine ‘The Harpsichord’

Interesting.... so, do you have this book? Is it hardcover or paperback (can't find in discription)?

YoutubeChannel

Nord Piano 5

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I found it here, I live in the US and could not find it on Amazon.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Interesting.... so, do you have this book? Is it hardcover or paperback (can't find in discription)?

Yes, mine is paperback.
You can find her email on her website. Don't know is she sends it to US?

Last edited by johan d; 02/01/19 06:15 AM.
They do mail to the US for about $7 but you have to wire transfer the payment to their bank. I’m in the middle of doing that myself. I’ll post the bank details when I get home.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AnthonyPaulO
They do mail to the US for about $7 but you have to wire transfer the payment to their bank. I’m in the middle of doing that myself. I’ll post the bank details when I get home.

Please never post bank details. Scammers (who aren't on this forum but can find via google) can misuse. Instead, send these sorts of details by PM only to the interested party. smile

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AnthonyPaulO

Please never post bank details. Scammers (who aren't on this forum but can find via google) can misuse. Instead, send these sorts of details by PM only to the interested party. smile

They post the bank details During checkout (before payment) so that you can wire xfer, but I see your point. Bottom line is you have to wire xfer the money so it’s an extra step but shouldn’t be a big deal since most banks support that functionality online nowadays.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission