2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
elendil Offline OP
OP Offline
E
And there's the answer, I guess. There is a small foam or felt pad (I can't tell) with something shiny on top of it. I googled ptfe tape and it appears to be very common and the same as what I have for making pneumatic connections airtight. Apparantly.

If you could confirm whether I can remove and insert the key later without having to pay attention to anything special, I think I'll give it a try,

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by elendil
And there's the answer, I guess. There is a small foam or felt pad (I can't tell) with something shiny on top of it. I googled ptfe tape and it appears to be very common and the same as what I have for making pneumatic connections airtight. Apparantly.

If you could confirm whether I can remove and insert the key later without having to pay attention to anything special, I think I'll give it a try,

You can lift the hammer and remove the key. The only thing to look out for is that the hammer will drop to the keybed without the key there to support it, but you can fish it out easily enough (Kawai helpfully suggests using a magnet), but when I take out a single key I just stick a piece of paper under the hammer so it doesn't drop all the way down.

One recommendation (I believe from Lolatu) is to pay attention to the "grain" of the ptfe tape. You want to align the tape with the direction of travel/friction (front/back and not side to side) of the capstan.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mabraman

Very helpful video!

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Happy to help wink

Learning piano from scratch since September, 2012.
Kawai ES7.Kawai K-200
E
elendil Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Definitely. I found the problem. The felt and teflon are fine, but the capstan had some sticky stuff on it. I guess it must be from the teflon somehow.

Cleaning the capstan with rubbing alcohol made everything good again. Simple fix.

I'm considering cleaning them all and maybe re-applying a bit of grease to the points already greased, now that I have everything apart. We'll see.

Thank you, all.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good that you could fix it!
Be careful when applying grease, that you use the right kind of grease. I think I remember reading here on the forum that when greasing plastic parts (as I guess it would be the case here?) the wrong kind of grease can damage the plastic over time. (But I'm not sure if I remember that correctly.)

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The grease ought not be a problem here. The grease problems date from the early 2000s, and those were cases where the key pivots were being greased (not necessary!), and the grease was not meant for the keys nor for that kind of plastic.

The plastic "business" parts of the action are of a different construction. They look and feel like nylon. Mine were greased when new, and were regreased several times since.

But it's moot here, isn't it? This was all about sticky goo on the capstans.

E
elendil Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Yes, the problem was sticky capstans, but I thought maybe it would make sense to regrease the hammer pivot point, since I've taken it off and on there and it seems a bit dry. The key works flawlessly at the moment, though, so maybe I should just leave it.

I've thought about grease damage as well, but ended up reasoning that it would have to be pretty strong stuff to damage the plastic. I'm no plastic, or grease, engineer though.

My gut feeling is ... if it works don't lube it.
I also think it wise to check with the service manual for information about where, what, and how to lube.
Perhaps your local tech can advise? Mine did.

I went looking for the CA97 service manual online. I could not find it, but I found the CS8 manual. The actions on these two are similar, so the information will likely apply to both.

Have a look at https://www.manualslib.com/download/1247604/Kawai-Cs8.html to download the manual.

On page 30 it gives information on "keyboard grease up".
There are areas for grease, and there are prohibited areas.
Have a look.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Adjustment and lubrication looks "challenging".

Maybe the CS8 service manual provides some assistance.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1247604/Kawai-Cs8.html?page=30#manual

Particularly pages 29-31 forward. Shows 3 specified lubricants (slip tape, let-off, hammer), hammer removal, grease points/prohibited areas, keystroke adjustment, keyheight adjustment, etc.

Not sure how you will source all the lubricants either. Not sure what random lubricants on the unidentified plastics and factory lubricants might do; perhaps if you fully cleaned off the factory lubricants you can estimate reasonable substitutes. Last thing you want is plastics reacting poorly to chemicals and crumbling a few years down the line (I've seen this happen a lot in other types of products).

edit - lol MacMacMacMac beat me again!

Last edited by newer player; 01/28/19 11:59 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know if PTFE tape would work - as I understand it, it's used by plumbers for its chemical resistance, rather than its smoothness, so I'm not sure if the tape would be smooth or rigid enough. It might work, but I (and the author of mambraman's video, who looks like he followed my technique) used cutouts from a sheet of PTFE, which is readly available on eBay. I used 0.25 mm thick, but 0.5 mm would work too.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What action does Kawai recommend for such friction?
Once upon a time, KJ consulted with his peers and recommended teflon powder... Having imported a small pot of this from the USA, I can say categorically that it does not work! (Or maybe something was "lost in translation" and they really meant teflon tape. Interestingly, the Japanese words for "tape" and "powder" are transliterated as "tēpu" and "paudā", so maybe not.)

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
I would NEVER beat you.
Originally Posted by newer player
lol MacMacMacMac beat me again!
That's your wife's job. smile

E
elendil Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I think maybe you've scared me off of the grease for now. I'll do a quick clean-up of the capstans and put it back together. It's also less work!

A
A
Originally Posted by elendil
Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I think maybe you've scared me off of the grease for now. I'll do a quick clean-up of the capstans and put it back together. It's also less work!

Note that the CS8 service manual warns against getting grease on the capstan.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Andy R

Note that the CS8 service manual warns against getting grease on the capstan.

+1. It specifically says not to grease the action/capstan. Grease on this action is a specialized, very thick "friction grease" (think of the grease they use to get the smooth resistance on a manual SLR lens) and is only used in the action on the escapement simulation notch, nothing else (and definitely not on the hammer pivot).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
elendil Offline OP
OP Offline
E
All buttoned up and working. I skipped the re-lubrication as suggested and all is fine. I never intended for grease to go on the capstans, BTW.

Thanks again for all of your help.

E
elendil Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Back to square one (or two or three).

The keys are sticking again. Something's obviously applying stickyness to the capstans and I can't see it being anything but the ptfe strip (or whatever's gluing it in place). It just seemed smooth and fine when I had it apart last.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yep, I found the only solution was to put a new layer of PTFE on. Time to order yours on eBay!

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission