Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
55 registered members (carlspost, bounced, 36251, beeboss, AlphaBravoCharlie, 21 invisible), 1,140 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2807300
01/27/19 09:57 AM
01/27/19 09:57 AM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
ClsscLib  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Northern VA, U.S.
Pianist is about the only paper reading I do, but I also have a digital subscription. The digital version is not bad in the Pocketmags app, and you have digital access to the score demonstration recordings.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: ClsscLib] #2807301
01/27/19 09:58 AM
01/27/19 09:58 AM
Upstate New York, USA
N
newbert Offline
1000 Post Club Member
newbert  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

Upstate New York, USA
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
Originally Posted by newbert
I checked out the sample issue in iPad format. Interesting, but too oriented towards classical music for me. If it included even a few Great American Songbook/ Showtunes etc, I'd be much more inclined to subscribe.

Actually, Pianist has published some of the finest intermediate-level arrangements of Great American Songbook works and other showtunes that I’ve ever seen. Those have been my very favorite scores from the magazine.

They don’t do a great one every single issue, but certainly every few issues they do.

For example, look at issue 105 for the Torme/Wells “Christmas Song”, or issue 103 for Gershwin’s “Someone to Watch Over Me” and Weill’s “September Song.” There are a lot of other great examples that I could cite.

Thank you for pointing this out to me. I'll take a look at those issues.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2807302
01/27/19 10:01 AM
01/27/19 10:01 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

1000 Post Club Member

Italy
There are often discounts and sales on the digital subscription - I think they just had one. Otherwise it's pretty expensive, at €39.99.

Pianist has its own app, so it's not subject to Zinio's glitches, for instance. I download it on my iPad Pro 12.9" for the music and to my iPad mini to read the articles. The audio is embedded in the download, so you can also listen to the recordings offline, if needed. I listen while following the score and I never had problems. Resolution is very high, unlike International Piano, where scores are barely readable.

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW (U1)
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2807308
01/27/19 10:19 AM
01/27/19 10:19 AM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here is a link to the complete score list across all issues. At the bottom of the blog post there is a link to a pdf file, which has a section for modern scores.

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/news/pianists-complete-list-of-scores/

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: sinophilia] #2807310
01/27/19 10:21 AM
01/27/19 10:21 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by sinophilia
There are often discounts and sales on the digital subscription - I think they just had one. Otherwise it's pretty expensive, at €39.99.

Pianist has its own app, so it's not subject to Zinio's glitches, for instance. I download it on my iPad Pro 12.9" for the music and to my iPad mini to read the articles. The audio is embedded in the download, so you can also listen to the recordings offline, if needed. I listen while following the score and I never had problems. Resolution is very high, unlike International Piano, where scores are barely readable.

I also want to speak up about the quality of Pianist Magazine's app. Love being able to click to jump to the score and hit the play button to have Chenyin Li play it for me.

I've done away with all my paper subscriptions. I found that I didn't read any of them. Never at hand when I have the time to read. Much better in a tablet for when I am on the go. I couldn't do it on a phone though. Too small a screen and I am flipping the page too much.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: ClsscLib] #2807311
01/27/19 10:22 AM
01/27/19 10:22 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Pianist is about the only paper reading I do, but I also have a digital subscription. The digital version is not bad in the Pocketmags app, and you have digital access to the score demonstration recordings.

For Android, there is the PocketMag app and the Pianist app. I think it's the same for Apple. For whatever reason, the Pianist app works better for me than the PocketMag app. Sometimes, the PocketMag app doesn't work at all, just hangs smirk

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image]
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2807316
01/27/19 10:29 AM
01/27/19 10:29 AM
J
John305 Offline
John305  Offline
J

I also subscribe digitally and am very happy with it.

It’s never too late to be what you might have been. -George Eliot
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2807382
01/27/19 01:33 PM
01/27/19 01:33 PM
Northern VA, U.S.
ClsscLib Offline

ClsscLib  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Northern VA, U.S.
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

For Android, there is the PocketMag app and the Pianist app. I think it's the same for Apple. For whatever reason, the Pianist app works better for me than the PocketMag app. Sometimes, the PocketMag app doesn't work at all, just hangs smirk

When I try to open the Pianist app it seems to want to route me to PocketMags. Anyone else having this experience?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

-- Florence Foster Jenkins
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Sam S] #2807551
01/27/19 11:28 PM
01/27/19 11:28 PM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Originally Posted by Sam S
What do you guys/gals in the US do for a subscription? Pretty pricy for a retired guy. There is one bookstore in a local town that carries it, but I only rarely get over there to buy one. Its $13.75 US off the rack. A subscription is about $80, which is about the same price. The digital version is the bargain I guess, at about $46. But the few times that I have subscribed to a digital magazine I have not enjoyed the experience...

Sam

I don't know if it helps much, but ExpressMag has it for $59 for the year: https://www.expressmag.com/en-us/magazines/product/description/pianist/680/

That's how I get my subscription.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Chrispy] #2807552
01/27/19 11:31 PM
01/27/19 11:31 PM

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by squidbot
What do you guys/gals in the US do for a subscription? Pretty pricy for a retired guy. There is one bookstore in a local town that carries it, but I only rarely get over there to buy one. Its $13.75 US off the rack. A subscription is about $80, which is about the same price. The digital version is the bargain I guess, at about $46. But the few times that I have subscribed to a digital magazine I have not enjoyed the experience...

Sam

I don't know if it helps much, but ExpressMag has it for $59 for the year: https://www.expressmag.com/en-us/magazines/product/description/pianist/680/

Thanks Squidbot! That's a great price for the paper magazine. More than 25% off is always a good discount smile

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2807556
01/27/19 11:35 PM
01/27/19 11:35 PM

5000 Post Club Member

Can anyone who subscribes to both Pianist magazine and International Piano magazine compare the two for us? I haven't ever seen an issue of the latter, but looking through info on the Internet and a sample table of contents, I thought it seemed less appropriate for beginners than Pianist magazine. Is this right?

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2807560
01/27/19 11:46 PM
01/27/19 11:46 PM
Upstate SC
dobro Offline
500 Post Club Member
dobro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Upstate SC
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
It's a nice magazine. I've struggled to try to buy the really old back issues back to issue #1. They are available for collectors (not from the publisher of course), but none that I've found come with the CDs. And the CDs were always a big feature of the magazine. Unfortunately, the online back issues only go back a few years, so no help there.

I done this with guitar mags and have a library of them now. The few really old ones i have are cool. Ive gotten a few digital back issues of Pianist with plans for more. I really like it and Keyboard magazine.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2807570
01/28/19 12:54 AM
01/28/19 12:54 AM
Kitsap County, WA
Chrispy Offline
Gold Subscriber
Chrispy  Offline
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Kitsap County, WA
Tyrone, I'd looked at International Piano, and the music and technique do seem geared for a bit more advanced audience. It also has a lot more "pianist fandom" type stuff, which I'm less interested in.

As an aside, I also got a subscription to Clavier's Piano Explorer for my son who absolutely loves it. It's what piqued his interest in composing (they have compositions by kids features in each issue.) https://pianoexplorer.net/

Last edited by squidbot; 01/28/19 12:57 AM.

𝒀𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒉𝒂 𝑨𝒗𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝑮𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑵1𝑿
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Chrispy] #2807577
01/28/19 02:42 AM
01/28/19 02:42 AM

5000 Post Club Member

It also has a lot more "pianist fandom" type stuff, which I'm less interested in.

Now that you mention it, it did seem more like a fan mag, although this is perhaps only a difference of degree - Pianist magazine also has its fan sections and a famous pianist on the cover of every issue.

As an aside, I also got a subscription to Clavier's Piano Explorer for my son who absolutely loves it. It's what piqued his interest in composing (they have compositions by kids features in each issue.) https://pianoexplorer.net/

Interesting. It seems most of the piano magazines are no more - following the long, slow decline of pianos in general. Looking on eBay, I see that historically, there were a dozen different piano magazines. It seems like there are only these 3 left now.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Pianoperformance] #2807591
01/28/19 04:01 AM
01/28/19 04:01 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
You guys will be the death of me. I just subscribed to International Piano, too.

*shakes fist at TS*

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Chrispy] #2807631
01/28/19 07:43 AM
01/28/19 07:43 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA

Sam

Thanks Squidbot! Looks like I have to subscribe now!

Sam

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Sibylle] #2807637
01/28/19 08:00 AM
01/28/19 08:00 AM

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sibylle
You guys will be the death of me. I just subscribed to International Piano, too.

*shakes fist at TS*

Me? LOL. What was it that did it? When I said, "fan mag?" grin

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2807639
01/28/19 08:11 AM
01/28/19 08:11 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland

No, when you mentioned it. Because I’d been blissfully unaware of its existence until then grin

You could redeem yourself by completely illegally copying and sending me any articles from past editions about Kissin or Pogorelich or Berezowky... *winning smile*

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Sibylle] #2807643
01/28/19 08:18 AM
01/28/19 08:18 AM

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Sibylle

No, when you mentioned it. Because I’d been blissfully unaware of its existence until then grin

You could redeem yourself by completely illegally copying and sending me any articles from past editions about Kissin or Pogorelich or Berezowky... *winning smile*

Sorry, no can do as I don't have any issues smile or I might be tempted to redeem myself. Squidbot's brief comparison above was enough to suggest to me that this mag might be put off for a time. But who knows. Maybe I will end up ordering it too at some point, although sinophilia has said in the thread above that the digital edition of International Piano is no good, and I'm almost entirely digital these days - just don't have the space for paper, especially of stuff I want to keep long-term.

Re: Pianist magazine [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2807647
01/28/19 08:26 AM
01/28/19 08:26 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

sinophilia  Offline

1000 Post Club Member

Italy
International Piano does not include many scores, just one or a few related pieces, and they're usually contemporary. On one hand it's nice because you get unusual, copyrighted stuff, but they're almost all fairly advanced pieces. Also, there are no "lessons" and no teaching videos in it - just a single article on technique.

As I said, the image quality of scores was always very poor - but in the last issue it was much better, so they may have fixed that.

I like to receive both magazines, because they come out on alternate months! So at the end of each month I always have one or the other to download laugh

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW (U1)
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan CFX Lite questions
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 08/26/19 05:09 AM
Soundboard Size
by apianostudent. 08/25/19 11:23 PM
Kawai K300 or full refurbished Yamaha U30A?
by letsplayit. 08/25/19 10:29 PM
Wanted: Complete Haydn Sonatas by Walter Olbertz
by carlspost. 08/25/19 10:27 PM
Kawai GX2 vs C Bechstein B190 original?
by tomyt3. 08/25/19 06:48 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,731
Posts2,862,608
Members94,253
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission