2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 44 45
L
L
"The touch of a grand piano varies with the differences in size and weight of the hammers over each of the 88 keys. The PX-S1000/S3000 models deliver the feeling of playing a grand piano through a meticulous key-by-key digital simulation of these subtle differences in touch."

Hmmm. I wonder if they mean that the keys have a delay for triggering the sound based on which key it is on the keyboard as if keys up and down a piano are slightly slower or faster to strike the note based on it's weight.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
I think this text means these new Privias probably are still 3-sensor boards...

"Key Off Response reproduces repeat-strike performance: The decay timing based on the keys' movements when the fingers release from the key is digitally controlled. When the same note is struck repeatedly, the next tone sounds firmly even if the key has not completely come back up after being struck."

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The brochure contains an illustration comparing the new action with the previous generation action. The new "Smart" action is a good deal more compact, which obviously contributes to the low size and weight of these latest models.

It's interesting to note that the CDP-S and PX-S models all share the same dimensions, so it's likely that most of the bottom case and parts of the upper case are reused, with "snap-in" panels for different specs (pitchbend, knobs etc.). Personally, I really like this approach - it's very smart, and obviously a great way to achieve high economies of scale.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
It is obviously triple sensor. It suppose to replace the px-160 and px-350, the software inside is no different than these models and the software is tailored for 3 sensors for generations now. Removing sensor will open a can of worms that casio will not be able to close.

It is sad they have so much new technology but always cherry pick. For Example the PX-S3000 doesn't use the new AIX sounds from CT-X but rather the old ones from CDP keyboards.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Biggest question for me is wheter you can play through the speakers of the PX-S 1000 sounds comming from VSTs from laptop pc.
Maybe through USB connectivity, or something like that.
Anyone know the answer?

H
OP Offline
H
I read on this Kraftmusic page that the PX-S3000 has USB audio recording and playback. But I haven't seen the manual for the PX-S3000. The USB Audio feature is also not listed on the casio website. at least not yet.

I also heard that an even higher end Privia will be released later in the year. If the action is acceptable I'll be tempted to get either the PX-S3000 or that mystery higher end privia (PX-S5000?)

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
H
OP Offline
H
Sweetwater's PX-S1000 demo video:

Last edited by halherta; 01/25/19 05:28 AM.

H
OP Offline
H
Casio Privia PX-S1000 - Demo with Rich Formidoni

H
OP Offline
H
Casio Privia PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 at NAMM 2019:

H
OP Offline
H
NAMM 2019 Casio PX-S3000 Digital Piano:

Originally Posted by hag01
Biggest question for me is wheter you can play through the speakers of the PX-S 1000 sounds comming from VSTs from laptop pc.
Anyone know the answer?

From the spec, it has audio line in, so yes, it is possible.
However, I doubt any quality VSTs would sound good on those small speakers.

H
OP Offline
H
An interesting Roland FP-10 vs Casio's Privia PX-S1000/3000 digital piano comparison chart posted at the yamahamusicians.com forums

Link to the image

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by siros
Originally Posted by hag01
Anyone know the answer?

From the spec, it has audio line in, so yes, it is possible.
However, I doubt any quality VSTs would sound good on those small speakers.

Exactly. You should do it the other way around, i.e. play the sound of the PX-S on decent external speakers - or headphones. The speakers on most DPs do not make any justice to the on-board sounds.

A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by halherta
An interesting Roland FP-10 vs Casio's Privia PX-S1000/3000 digital piano comparison chart posted at the yamahamusicians.com forums

Link to the image

The FP-10 weights ca. 1 Kg more than the PX-S. That means higher quality materials and components were used. The FP-10 is the clear winner.

On a serious note: Casio is unbeatable at this price range. Hope they have done a good job with the new action. The previous PX action is ok-ish but is one of the loudest/noisiest actions I ever played.

S
S
Can't wait to see how the new Casio action compares to the P515 and ES8. I liked the grand piano sound of the PX860, but wasn't crazy about the keyboard. Assuming the sound is the same and the action is improved, the PX 1000 could be the DP to beat in the sub $2000 category. This comment from one reviewer makes me very optimistic:

From my perspective as an end user and prospective customer I have to say this is one of the most beautiful feeling keybeds I have ever rested my fingers on...and trust me, I am NOT easy to please!

[more]

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by oscar1
It suppose to replace the px-160 and px-350, the software inside is no different than these models

I agree that most of the obvious differences are in hardware (new action, new chassis, different speakers, battery operation), but there are software differences too... they mention a "Newly-Enhanced AiR Sound Source" - which may or may not refer to something more/other than the specifically listed differences like 192 polyphony vs 128, adjustable string and damper resonance, etc. Regardless, these things tell us they didn't just drop the existing sound software into new hardware unaltered.

Originally Posted by oscar1
It is sad they have so much new technology but always cherry pick. For Example the PX-S3000 doesn't use the new AIX sounds from CT-X but rather the old ones from CDP keyboards.
I assume you're talking about the non-piano sounds. It is possible that AiX and AiR are not similar enough to be easily (or cost effectively) built into the same keyboard. That said, how do you know the sounds come from the CDP (Dual-element AHL)? I don't think they've used those in a Privia in something like 15 years, you'd have to go back to the PX-100 series.

K
K
Both PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 seem to be great deals for the money. I wonder if the engine is truely improved ... it seems to me it's almost the same AIR engines they used for PX-5S, amazing keyboard that I have and enjoy playing and do tons of interesting new sounds and effects with it. Probably the future PX-S5000 will be a rival for PX-5S ...

Last edited by Korny; 01/25/19 10:57 AM.
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Korny
Both PX-S1000 and PX-S3000 seem to be great deals for the money. I wonder if the engine is truely improved ... it seems to me it's almost the same AIR engines they used for PX-5S, amazing keyboard that I have and enjoy playing and do tons of interesting new sounds and effects with it. Probably the future PX-S5000 will be a rival for PX-5S ...

The PX-5S and 560 already have a quite impressive sound engine....

L
L
From the YamahaMusician's topic, this is supposedly directly from a Casio rep:

"As well as being one of the smallest actions available, it also models the hammer response timing of each individual note in realtime. This is combined with physical scaling to produce something that feels really good. However, what is really impressive is that we measure not only note-on velocity but also note-off speed, so as to provide a much more refined key off response. Surprisingly, early prototypes with the same configuration as our Tri-Sensor mechanism were good, but by reconfiguring the actions with two repositioned sensors, the system worked even better."

This answers a few questions that have been under discussion here:

1) The action seems to only use two sensors (unless the rep means that they moved two of the three sensors and kept the third in the same place, but I find this an improbable parsing of the rep's words). However, in the development of the new action they first tried using three sensors and went to two sensors because testing showed that the two sensors actually worked better.

2) The "smart action" and "digital simulation" does in fact mean what I thought it might: they model the slight differences in timing response for each key on the keyboard caused by the differences in weight on a real piano.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Lazerlike42
The action seems to only use two sensors (unless the rep means that they moved two of the three sensors and kept the third in the same place, but I find this an improbable parsing of the rep's words).

I agree that's the more likely reading, but we'll see. And I'm sure some people would be unhappy about it, and some legitimately so if that behavior is something they rely on. But overall, very little playing depends on it, and I'd rather have a great feeling 2-sensor board than a lesser feeling 3-sensor board.

Page 3 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission