2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O
If the teacher thinks moving too much is counterproductive to the quality of playing then I think it is ok to address the issue. I had this problem and it definitely improved my playing when I learned to sway less. It was not easy to change my natural habits that were related to physical shortcomings, but I think it was worth it. One needs to develope body awareness and fine control, but the methods that work vary among individuals.

When in audience I prefer not to see the pianist make faces or exaggerated gestures. So there are some pianists I prefer not to look at. Some may still sound great and that is most important for me. Those who don't I won't bother to see again.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Yeah I mean I think I'd sum it up by saying :

If you're a "swayer" then don't move so much that technically you start losing accuracy.

If you're static then don't tense up.

Both will affect technique detrimentally.

But I think most people probably fall into an acceptable range as far as movement goes. Everyone's different.

I think it's more important to concentrate on what the hands are doing TBH.

For anyone who says that, please watch this and tell me that it negatively affected the performance.

Q
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by SilentQ
For anyone who says that, please watch this and tell me that it negatively affected the performance.

I don't think he's either excessively stiff or swaying. The way he sits is tending in the direction of Gould, though. He was born blind, so his facial expressions aren't based on a lifetime of visual feedback.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Thank-you for posting this. Really lovely - I'll listen to it again and again.

regards
Pete
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Even The Zombies show emotion when they perform.

Semipro Tech
O
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
O

Hate to say this but since you asked, yes, it makes me feel uncomfortable, so I would prefer not to watch. But since he is blind, I think what he does may be useful for him in a way that we cannot really understand.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by outo
[quote=SilentQ]For anyone who says that, please watch this and tell me that it negatively affected the performance.

Hate to say this but since you asked, yes, it makes me feel uncomfortable, so I would prefer not to watch. But since he is blind, I think what he does may be useful for him in a way that we cannot really understand.

I won't say that I was uncomfortable watching this video, nor would I say that I enjoyed watching it. It left me feeling just a little uneasy, thinking, perhaps, that the emotion of the pianist is private and that shouldn't be up for public display. I think I understand outo, however. The tune itself is somewhat innocuous; a pop tune that just keeps repeating, and while it may be charming, initially, it soon cloys.

Perhaps the tune had special meaning for the performer and perhaps that's why the video was labelled "most moving performance." It didn't particularly move me as a performance, however.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
It is an Elegy for the victims of the tsunami in Japan that he wrote.

Q
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
we were taught: 'don't put the music into the piano but ease it out of it', and: 'don't get emotional, let the audience get emotional', that kind of serious stuff. Whenever I was in a concert of one of the teachers, they took 'swan dives' or looked into the skies, or had seemingly a lot of pain/grief/joy...The teaching was fine, it meant: don't do any unnatural histrionics, it's cheap, I agree. Whenever I see myself back on recordings, I see me biting my lips, looking at the ceiling, eyes shut or face in rapture, it is the music, the scene, the moment, we pianists are living beings living the art we are performing 'live', that is just natural, but if,in the audience listening to a 'collegue', I don't like his or her expression, I close my eyes and just listen more intensely. There are some exceptions though, as to facial histrionics and dress, and these exceptions you all know, and to my taste these pianists have gained popularity more because of that than because of there exceptional musicality and that I dislike.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission