2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#2806189 01/24/19 07:57 PM
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
This is just the first day of owning it and I've been to work all day, so had the chance to play it for just a few hours. I know maybe nobody needs just another review, but it's probably curious to know that I've been one of the big haters of NU1 due to the loud note issue. Yet, I've always liked how it feels otherwise.

Let me start with the most important topic: the loud note issue. Unfortunately this is a prominent issue and I've hit it so many times in the last few hours I simply couldn't count it frown Sometimes it would manifest really unexpectedly and would annoy, sometimes it's rather subtle and even feels kind of natural given the circumstances. I can reproduce it 100%, however I am not sure I can avoid it 100%. I need to decide for myself but indeed it's annoying. I still believe one can live with it, but I need to do a higher mileage to know better.

That issue aside, the very first impression is of a keyboard that simply feels real. I've sold my ES7 a few days ago but my memories are fresh since I've had it for a few years. The Kawai keyboard is very light and smooth feeling, soft bottoming. The NU1X is entirely on the contrary, it feels very heavy and substantial, hard bottoming, with lack of smoothness (due to moving hammers underneath which creates so various sensations in the fingers). But ultimately the heavy keyboard really helps me to achieve much better control over dynamics. And the feeling of the hammers, combined with the key to sound connection absolutely fools the mind that it's a real instrument rather than a digital piano.

However, with all that being said, I still need some time to get 100% accustomed to the keyboard feel, the half-pedal point, etc.

Moving to the sounds. I believe it's very important to note those are best suited to play with the built-in speakers. IMO Yamaha spent quite some time to sample the original pianos and EQ the samples + EQ the speakers in a way that makes it feel absolutely real! There's no booming bass as in the Kawai CA-pianos. That being said, the samples probably don't sound as good on headphones although that's rather subjective. The binaural one (CFX) is great when played live, although it's a bit muffled and a better clarity would have worked best.

The VRM is so convincing that I actually changed the way I played some of the pieces I play just to enjoy and listen the rich resonances! Commendable job by Yamaha.

Oddly enough, the Bosendorfer which so many people hate, including me when tested on Clavinovas, feels very good through the speakers of NU1X, so much better than on Clavinovas, and so is certainly more than usable, very dark and woody. On headphones though it's absolutely rubbish.

I'm also very impressed by the upright piano sample. On speakers it creates this intimacy and slight imperfection that is so warm! I will definitely use it to play on speakers. Not on headphones though.

Rhodes is top class! And finally I can play an unearthly GORGEOUS harpsichord! I'll definitely record a piece soon to show it. Kawai, take a note here, the harpsichord in all Kawai pianos up to now has been a joke frown

The two pipe organs, and especially the principal, are also AWESOME!

Needless to say the piano looks fantastic and inspires me to play, I've already pasted this in the other thread:
[Linked Image]

And finally, I tried to record a piece I learned soon. I haven't practiced it a lot and so I did maybe 10 takes, all of which with so many mistakes frown Anyway, I chose one of them to finish my review. It's recorded with the binaural CFX sample, so it's recommended that you use headphones too. The video is from an old Fuji camera and unfortunately at the end it lags behind the audio that was exported as a WAV file on a thumb drive. Not sure why the un-sync, couldn't fix it with iMovie.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/24/19 08:00 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Let me start with the most important topic: the loud note issue. Unfortunately this is a prominent issue and I've hit it so many times in the last few hours I simply couldn't count it frown

I'm sorry to hear that frown Regularly playing an NU1, I can understand that it is a 100% reproducable artifact (which occasional NU1/NU1X players often deny). That said. it doesn't bother me that much, because I can internalize the fact that it should be a silent note, rather than an outstanding note....

Yamaha has done well with the AG-series and I hope you are able to make the NU1X work. I couldn't get it to fit into my home,but it definitely has that feel that a typical DP is lacking, so I hope it works out for you!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Let me start with the most important topic: the loud note issue. Unfortunately this is a prominent issue and I've hit it so many times in the last few hours I simply couldn't count it frown Sometimes it would manifest really unexpectedly and would annoy, sometimes it's rather subtle and even feels kind of natural given the circumstances. I can reproduce it 100%, however I am not sure I can avoid it 100%. I need to decide for myself but indeed it's annoying. I still believe one can live with it, but I need to do a higher mileage to know better.

It sounds like you bought it with an option to return it if you cannot get used to the loud note issue? Is that true?

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Osho
It sounds like you bought it with an option to return it if you cannot get used to the loud note issue? Is that true?

Yes, I bought it from Thomann and they offer 30 day money back guarantee. I think that's plenty for me to decide. If you ask me now, I'd say I'll keep it. It's something that I think I can live with, and if I can learn to somehow ignore it, the piano is so much better than any other digital piano I've played so far (except for grand hybrids) that it's not worth it to return it.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Regularly playing an NU1, I can understand that it is a 100% reproducable artifact (which occasional NU1/NU1X players often deny).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the loud note issue doesn't occur on the other Avantgrands (N1, N2, etc), right?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Regularly playing an NU1, I can understand that it is a 100% reproducable artifact (which occasional NU1/NU1X players often deny).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the loud note issue doesn't occur on the other Avantgrands (N1, N2, etc), right?

Yes, that is correct.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nice playing CyberGene.

How does it work with your favourite VIs?

Any views on how your DIY grand compares?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats CyberGene!

Thanks for your review, and for posting the lovely photo and nice playing!

Good stuff!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Congrats CyberGene!

Thanks for your review, and for posting the lovely photo and nice playing!

Good stuff!

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks, James!

Originally Posted by newer player
Nice playing CyberGene.

How does it work with your favourite VIs?

Any views on how your DIY grand compares?

Haven’t tried it with Garritan CFX yet but I will do! As to my own controller. It’s a 100 years old and not regulated action, however it’s a proper grand piano action and that’s already apparent in the touch, I dare say I prefer it to the upright action wink But I’ll still need to finish it in order to be able to compare. So for now can’t say much else.

M
M
Nice review - I only had the chance to play it for a few minutes sometimes, but yes: the action is AMAZING! And exactly in the way you said, its not comforting, I rather had the feeling I had to fight with the action, but in a positive sense.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Nice one! Aren't you going to want the N1X now? smile

I feel like Yamaha missed the boat on the NU1X key materials though. My immediate thought was that the keys had a plasticky look/feel and it ruined the "real" piano illusion for me. Just a first impression, probably takes some getting used to it.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by navindra
Nice one! Aren't you going to want the N1X now? smile

I feel like Yamaha missed the boat on the NU1X key materials though. My immediate thought was that the keys had a plasticky look/feel and it ruined the "real" piano illusion for me. Just a first impression, probably takes some getting used to it.

I have a Yamaha U3 upright acoustic. It has plastic keytops. It's normal. There is nothing wrong with plastic keys. I think the digital piano industry has encouraged an obsession with fake ivory keys. A lot of high quality acoustic pianos have smooth plastic keys - not fake ivory. So it's a myth that digital pianos with plastic keys are less authentic or have cheaped out on their keytops.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

I agree with this. Many top of the line concert grands have ordinary plastic resin key tops, just like the NU1X.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I haven’t even noticed the key tops are plastic and not an ivory imitation. I usually have overly dry palms so I don’t care. Even on the contrary, the ivory imitations kind of stick to my fingers in a bad way.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The NV10 also has plastic keys (acrylic for the whites), same as the NU1X. I'm referencing the NV10 because that's navindra's piano. So navindra, if you thought that the NU1X's keys looked "plasticky", then the NV10's should look "plasticky" too. wink
Maybe the surroundings/lighting where you tested the NU1X was contributing to giving you a "plasticky" feel?

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
To my eyes, the NU1's keys ARE more noticeable plastic than the NV-10's. I think it's because they have a glossier finish, which gives them a nearly clear-coated appearance. I've also never minded plastic keytops, as those are on nearly all the piano's I've played, including larger grands.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are you saying the NU1’s keys are more noticeably cheaper than the NV-10’s, or did I misread that? grin

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apparently they must be more noticeably acoustic grand-like. smile

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I haven’t even noticed the key tops are plastic and not an ivory imitation. I usually have overly dry palms so I don’t care. Even on the contrary, the ivory imitations kind of stick to my fingers in a bad way.

Isn't the ivory imitation just some kind of synthetic (plastic) material too? What's the actual difference? Just the texture?

Yamaha P-515
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoeT

Isn't the ivory imitation just some kind of synthetic (plastic) material too? What's the actual difference? Just the texture?

To my understanding the ivory imitations use a plastic material that is porous and thus absorbs the moisture preventing slipping, similar to real ivory. I believe this is important more to people who have sweaty palms.

Second day of owning it, started playing the Chopin's Barcarolle and expectedly, lots of loud notes in the trills, as well as some really unexpected ones in moments where I've been holding a key for some time, then just repeating it softly without releasing it fully. I'll see if I can get used to it smile My mother in law who is a piano teacher tried the piano and was very enthusiastic about it. Of course, I haven't mentioned the loud note issue and she hasn't played a lot.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission