Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
131 registered members (Animisha, bearbate, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, A441, 36251, anamnesis, 39 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hailun & Room Size #2804861
01/21/19 10:52 PM
01/21/19 10:52 PM
K
Katie-eights Offline OP
Katie-eights  Offline OP
K

I’m new to Piano World, but my husband and I have found it SO helpful as we’ve been researching piano info over the last few months. So thank you to all of you for your insights. In my search for a new piano, I’m hoping to get some insight into Hailuns and some help with the right size in our space.
My background: back in my college days, I was a piano major for my first 2 years before changing to Education, and I was actually good. A couple decades later, I only play for fun now—and never as much as I’d like—and I’ve lost my chops. But I’d like to get a little more serious with my playing again. I have an old lousy Wurlitzer spinet from the 60s that I’ve had for 15 years, and we finally decided it’s time to upgrade. As we’ve been researching and shopping, I gradually moved from considering an upright to considering a grand. I moved from trying used Yamahas and Kawais from the 70s and 80s to trying some new Hailun baby/medium grands. My husband and I have read a lot about Hailuns. We like the excellent warranty that comes with a new Hailun. As I began to realize that a new Hailun grand was not much more than a 40-yr-old Yamaha, I began trying the Hailuns. I really like the feel of the Hailuns and they seem to have a nice rich sound. Any additional insights into Hailun? I loved the sound of the HG-178 (5’10”). I also played the HG-151 (5’) and HG-161 (5’4”) and had a hard time distinguishing much difference between the two, so if I went smaller, I would probably stick with the HG-151 at a lower price. What’s holding me back from the 178 is the concern about whether the piano would be too big, space-wise and sound-wise, and the price is a little more than we originally planned on spending.

We have a formal dining room that we made our “music room.” It is 10’x15’. One of the 10’ sides is not walled and opens to a large entryway. There is also an opening along one of the 15’ walls that leads to the kitchen. We borrowed a piano pattern from a local piano store and created a homemade piano model with the pattern and card tables to try to get a feel for the 178 vs 151 in the room. Here is a photo of our lovely model based on the 178 (5’10”). [img]https://imgur.com/a/Ay0zIjX[/img] As you can see we have some things on the walls, furniture in the room, a rug on the tile floor, and some curtains (though thin), so that might help absorb some sound. We’ve read a little about the appropriate size for the best fit and sound in a room but would love any additional thoughts. Thanks!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2804950
01/22/19 09:08 AM
01/22/19 09:08 AM
H
Hakki Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hakki  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
H

I would not consider any grand below 5'8". Go with the 178. You must protect the piano from sun light. You must use blinds and keep them shut all the time.

Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Hakki] #2804953
01/22/19 09:18 AM
01/22/19 09:18 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by Hakki
I would not consider any grand below 5'8". Go with the 178. You must protect the piano from sun light. You must use blinds and keep them shut all the time.

I would agree with this. Get as large a piano as you can for the space. You will thank yourself later.

[Linked Image]
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2804963
01/22/19 10:01 AM
01/22/19 10:01 AM
Indianapolis
G
GC13 Offline
500 Post Club Member
GC13  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Indianapolis
I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the piano. I think your space can handle the 178 just fine. The quality of the bass gets really poor in the smaller grands. You tend to get more overtones than the fundamental tone. I've seen several online videos made by Hailun dealers singing their praises. Personally, I would want to talk to a couple of independent concert-level technicians to get their opinions on durability and serviceability over time and what issues they see 5-10 years out, based on the number of hours a week you plan on playing. Hailun may be fine in the home environment with only a few hours a week of playing, but they might not hold up in a professional environment or in the home of a skilled player who spends a lot of time playing or someone who plays more aggressively.

Based on what I've read here on PW, just be aware that piano warranty claims can often end up in finger pointing to issues of improper care or humidity control. Hopefully, others will chime in here on this and maybe correct my line of thinking, but personally, I wouldn't make too much of a decision based upon warranty. But that's just me.

Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: GC13] #2804972
01/22/19 10:29 AM
01/22/19 10:29 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by GC13
The quality of the bass gets really poor in the smaller grands. You tend to get more overtones than the fundamental tone.
Although it's true that shorter pianos tend to have poorer basses, this is not the reason.

Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: GC13] #2804973
01/22/19 10:31 AM
01/22/19 10:31 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by GC13
The quality of the bass gets really poor in the smaller grands. You tend to get more overtones than the fundamental tone.
Although it's true that shorter pianos tend to have poorer basses, this is not the reason.
Any given note has the same overtone series on any piano.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/22/19 10:33 AM.
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2804990
01/22/19 11:16 AM
01/22/19 11:16 AM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
I’ve heard good things about Hailun pianos. I wouldn’t worry about buying a bigger piano because it should be as controllable in volume as a smaller grand. The warranty on any piano is really only as good as the dealer. Ask several independent piano technicians about their experience with Hailuns as far as the piano’s stability and long term durability and maybe their experience with that piano dealer.
Perhaps PW’s Norbert might chime in on your post. I believe his dealership sold Hailun.
Best of Luck!

J & J
Yahama C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2804992
01/22/19 11:18 AM
01/22/19 11:18 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California

Go ahead with the 178, no problem in that space.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805008
01/22/19 11:53 AM
01/22/19 11:53 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Offline
Rickster  Offline

Georgia, USA
Welcome to Piano World!

The larger 178 (5'10") would be a good choice and not necessarily too large for the room. But the 161 (5'4") could also be a good choice, depending on your ear, your wants, needs and budget. The larger model, 5'10", would likely have a richer low bass, which I like. And, the 6" difference between 161 and 178 ain't a huge amount but would likely have a slight difference in tone, particularity in the lower bass section. It's a tough choice, I agree.

As far as the warranty goes, and some may disagree with me on this, but it (warranty) is more or less only as good as the dealer you buy the piano from. Typically, if you have a warranty issue, the manufacturer will not even talk to you, the purchaser/consumer; they will tell you to contact the dealer you bought the piano from. There may be some manufacturers who have a different policy and deal directly with the consumer, I'm not sure. So, that's my view on new piano warranties. If the warranty is important to you, choose the dealer wisely.

Hope this helps!. smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805074
01/22/19 03:02 PM
01/22/19 03:02 PM
Southwest
j&j Offline
1000 Post Club Member
j&j  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Southwest
To add to Rick’s informative post, it’s the dealer’s piano technician’s that do the initial prep when the piano is uncrated and set up. Dealers that skimp on the initial prep for their pianos also tend to skimp on other things regarding selling you your new piano. Do some research regarding where and from whom you intend to buy your new piano.

J & J
Yahama C3 PE
Casio Privia PX-330
Pianos - the reason God made trees!
[Linked Image]
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805084
01/22/19 03:28 PM
01/22/19 03:28 PM
Chicago Suburban
M
MarkL Offline
500 Post Club Member
MarkL  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Chicago Suburban
I'm not familiar with the Hailun, but in that price range you might also look at the Kawai GL-10. I got mine for $9500, I've seen other people on the forum indicate purchase prices as low as $8300, which I believe puts it in a comparable price range as the HG 151. I would echo the importance of the dealer you buy from, the dealer I bought from showed me their shop and how long it takes to setup and prepare a new piano.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805091
01/22/19 03:42 PM
01/22/19 03:42 PM
J
Jack Knuckle Offline
Jack Knuckle  Offline
J

Would agree with others above that the 178 has to be the Goldilocks of grand pianos - not too big, not too small, not too expensive but pretty good quality. I've played several 178s side by side with the the 151 and 162 and would agree not to go with the 151, it's too small. The 161 can be nice but I wonder if you got it that you wouldn't get buyer's remorse once you realised you could have fitted in the 178, which ought to fit in a room the size you describe.

If you see them, don't discount the Feurich 179 too as it is virtually the same piano and also made by Hailun but just with another brand name and lacks the hydraulically-assisted piano lid (the lid that covers the strings, not the fallboard that covers the keys). Or for that matter the Zimmerman 175 or 185 which since 1992 has been made under licence for Bechstein in the same what Kawai makes Boston-branded pianos for Steinway. The 175 is similar in price to the Hailun and Feurichs, the 185 is a fair bit more expensive. All lovely instruments.

Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805245
01/22/19 10:51 PM
01/22/19 10:51 PM
Kentucky
M
MH1963 Offline

Silver Subscriber
MH1963  Offline

Silver Subscriber
M

Kentucky
I think the card table mock up is a great idea. I suggest that you consider turning it around so that when sitting on the bench you aren’t facing the corner.

I’ve had several pianos in a space of a similar size. It’s more pleasant for the pianist to face into the room, and I think it’s better acoustically, since the sound doesn’t bounce immediately off a wall. Putting the tail in the corner is the first ‘what can I fit here’ thought but avoid it if you can.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A
[Linked Image]

Working on: Chopin - Mazurka 7 No. 2 / The Prayer - Coates Arrangement / Einaudi - Nefeli
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: MH1963] #2805273
01/23/19 01:29 AM
01/23/19 01:29 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by MH1963
I think the card table mock up is a great idea. I suggest that you consider turning it around so that when sitting on the bench you aren’t facing the corner.

I’ve had several pianos in a space of a similar size. It’s more pleasant for the pianist to face into the room, and I think it’s better acoustically, since the sound doesn’t bounce immediately off a wall. Putting the tail in the corner is the first ‘what can I fit here’ thought but avoid it if you can.

I agree with the two advantages mentioned here that will be gained by repositioning the piano as suggested.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: BruceD] #2805394
01/23/19 09:14 AM
01/23/19 09:14 AM
Richfield Springs, New York
E
Eric Gloo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Eric Gloo  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by MH1963

I agree with the two advantages mentioned here that will be gained by repositioning the piano as suggested.

Regards,

You will actually lose space if you put the keyboard in the corner, rather than the tail. If the keyboard is in the corner, you must leave extra room for the keyboard/action to be pulled out and serviced by your piano technician.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Eric Gloo] #2805422
01/23/19 10:33 AM
01/23/19 10:33 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo

You will actually lose space if you put the keyboard in the corner, rather than the tail. If the keyboard is in the corner, you must leave extra room for the keyboard/action to be pulled out and serviced by your piano technician.

That or just plan on moving the piano 2-3 feet farther into the room when you need to pull the action. Two people can do it.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805694
01/23/19 10:08 PM
01/23/19 10:08 PM
Ohio, USA
M
MainevilleMike Offline
MainevilleMike  Offline
M

Ohio, USA
I would recommend going with the 178 over the 161. About 4 1/2 years ago we decided to replace our Wurlitzer spinet. We first purchased a Hailun 161. When we got the 161 in our home, my wife was not thrilled with it. To her, the tone of the piano was very different in the lower portion of the piano with the copper wound strings as compared to the rest of the piano. About 6 months later, we decided to upgrade to the 178. The sound of the 178 is so much better than the 161. The bass is so much better on the 178 than the 161. I am really glad that we made the upgrade to the 178.

I don't think the volume of the 178 will be that much different than the 161. Also, it may take you a while to find the perfect position for your piano in your home. We have our piano in its 3rd position in our home and I think we have finally found the best location for our piano. We first had it in a 10 x 12 room that has openings on two walls to other spaces but it was pretty loud to my sensitive ears. I had to add acoustic panels to help temper the volume. We then moved it to a 14 x 19 room but I was still having some issues with my left ear because my left ear faced a corner and the volume was too loud in that corner. We recently moved the piano to the opposite end of the room that is open to another room and I really like it in this position. There are no walls close to either side of me when sitting at the piano for the sound to bounce off.

Hailun HG 178
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805700
01/23/19 10:38 PM
01/23/19 10:38 PM
K
Katie-eights Offline OP
Katie-eights  Offline OP
K

Dear EVERYONE, thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge, experience, and insights. It's been fun checking in every day and finding new posts. Sounds like a 178 size shouldn't be a problem. And now I know to play around with some different positioning in the room. I'm adding to my list of questions to ask the dealer based on what you all have shared. And now I have some additional research to do. We have been happy with this particular piano store. The other two dealers we visited, we quickly ruled out. The first one because my piano tuner said some of his clients had had issues with them, and the other because we were totally turned off by the owner's overpowering and obnoxious sales tactics. The third dealer we've been visiting almost every weekend. They were recommended by both our piano tech and, oddly, our financial advisor. They haven't been "salesy" at all and have a large selection. Deciding on a piano has been a slower process than I expected, but I'm learning so much along the way and getting a better idea of what I really like in sound and touch.
One more question: I know that Hailuns haven't been around a long time and one of the primary hesitations from many is not knowing how they'll hold up over time. But isn't there anyone out there that by now has had a Hailun for a number of years that can give their 2 cents? Or is Hailun still considered too new of a manufacturer?
Thanks again, everyone!
(MainvilleMike, I just saw your post after I wrote this. One of the first times I've seen someone say they've had a Hailun for a number of years (not just weeks), even if you did upgrade to a different model. Must be happy enough with them? Thx for the insight!)

Last edited by Katie-eights; 01/23/19 10:45 PM.
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Katie-eights] #2805891
01/24/19 11:21 AM
01/24/19 11:21 AM
Louisiana
Jolly Offline
Jolly  Offline

Louisiana
If you live on the East Coast, try a Cunningham. Made by Hailun for them, it's got a different tone. Darker. Bit better base.

Alternatively, since you're looking at Chinese grands, do not buy without trying out a Perzina and a Brodmann if you can find any in your area.

www.coffee-room.com

Over 1.4M (and counting) posts where pianists discuss everything. And nothing.
Re: Hailun & Room Size [Re: Rickster] #2806548
01/25/19 12:14 PM
01/25/19 12:14 PM
Seattle
Campanella12 Offline
Campanella12  Offline

Seattle
Originally Posted by Rickster

As far as the warranty goes, and some may disagree with me on this, but it (warranty) is more or less only as good as the dealer you buy the piano from. Typically, if you have a warranty issue, the manufacturer will not even talk to you, the purchaser/consumer; they will tell you to contact the dealer you bought the piano from. There may be some manufacturers who have a different policy and deal directly with the consumer, I'm not sure. So, that's my view on new piano warranties. If the warranty is important to you, choose the dealer wisely.

Rickster – please allow me to disagree with you in this matter. I cannot speak for other manufacturers but when there is a technical warranty issue we at Hailun want to speak to the Registered Piano Technician (RPT) who has been servicing the instrument. Just as one has to bring a car into the shop when there is an issue, we need an RPT to assess the piano (as it is somewhat cumbersome to get the piano into to a piano workshop for an initial assessment). We want to talk to a RPT who has inspected the instrument because it is the best and most efficient way to get to the bottom of an issue.

We, of course, want to hear from our customers directly and ensure that any legitimate concern is promptly resolved and any of our customers is welcome to call our company or me directly if there is an issue. My direct number is 312-282-3657 and any customer is welcome to call me or Eric Zehr, our Customer Service Manager, at 312-608-1177. Our office number, which is the best to call into for a prompt response is 509-946-8078.

When you call in our process will ask you who your Registered Piano Technician is and then contact him or her to assess the issue and work along with our Authorized Dealer who knows the piano best and is familiar with its history and all relevant details pertaining to it. We will always inform our customers of where we are in the process.

We are also very proud of our Hailun Authorized Dealer Network. Every Hailun Dealer is carefully picked on key criteria one of which is service. We sometimes have small Hailun Dealers who have just a few instruments (and not the impressive large stores) but that does not matter to us as long as our final customers get great service. Hailun Merchants who repeatedly provide underwhelming service are dismissed.

Also, it does not matter if you are close to an Authorized Hailun Dealer or if you move. Your warranty for every Hailun instrument is with Hailun USA. We work with our Dealers because as part of our agreement with them and their financial benefit from carrying our products, they are obliged to provide and cover some of the service costs. But even if a customer is not close to a Dealership or has moved in US or Canadian territory, we will completely honor and provided excellent warranty and service support (It might just take a bit longer….some of our customers in Alaska come mind…).

www.petrof.com - www.hailun-pianos.com

Office: 509-946-8078
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
the amazing thumb
by Manne janne. 06/24/19 12:13 PM
Warner Bros intro
by Lachawiec. 06/24/19 08:39 AM
The only way to read Metronome Markings
by acortot. 06/24/19 07:40 AM
Help Me Decide Between CA78 and VPC1
by xhivo. 06/23/19 08:49 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,680
Posts2,841,529
Members93,693
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission