Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
131 registered members (Animisha, AWilley, ahoffmann, AZNpiano, anotherscott, accordeur, ajames, akc42, 43 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2805286
01/23/19 02:56 AM
01/23/19 02:56 AM
Ireland
Sibylle Offline
Sibylle  Offline

Ireland
I know the definition of a "pianist" is strictly speaking simply someone who plays the piano, but I've always associated it with professionals, so I'd never call myself a pianist.

It's not particularly logical, I realise that smile But "playing the piano", in my book, is what you do as soon as you practise your first piece. It's more a technical term, describing what you do, rather than how well you do it, whereas "pianist" to me has the ring of mastery.

Sibylle

My piano background

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2805298
01/23/19 03:48 AM
01/23/19 03:48 AM
Toronto, Canada
T
thepianoplayer416 Offline
500 Post Club Member
thepianoplayer416  Offline
500 Post Club Member
T

Toronto, Canada
There are several people at home who took music lessons and passed a few conservatory levels. Their pianos sit at home like a piece of furniture and they haven't touched it for at least 5 years. Do you consider someone like this being able to play? Probably not.

Someone like myself I'm not a good sight-reader and tend to play a lot of intermediate pieces from memory. I got a few friends over for the holidays. Played some Christmas tunes and asked them to sing-along. Nothing too complicated. I'm not at the level of playing Beethoven Sonatas. They know I can play at an intermediate level. Once I played the first movement of the Bach "Italian Concerto" in F at a Christmas gathering from memory. The piece is about 4m long. Haven't touched it piece for a while.

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Sibylle] #2805309
01/23/19 04:44 AM
01/23/19 04:44 AM
America
J
Jitin Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jitin  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

America
Originally Posted by Sibylle
I know the definition of a "pianist" is strictly speaking simply someone who plays the piano, but I've always associated it with professionals, so I'd never call myself a pianist.

It's not particularly logical, I realise that smile But "playing the piano", in my book, is what you do as soon as you practise your first piece. It's more a technical term, describing what you do, rather than how well you do it, whereas "pianist" to me has the ring of mastery.

The thing is , all pianists practice, all professionals pianists also
Even masters practice routinely

So essentially you play you learn , and overtime you get better.
The key though is masters have better analytical skills interns of theory that led them to become a master typically and are able to pick up things faster , because they recognize things better and are typically well in reading and ear because they practice repertoire and transcribing

I can play pretty nice pieces , and have been told by professionals that I’m an intermediate,
But I still feel not as such in my arranging skills and theoretical , and improv ,and transcribing skills but that is cause I don’t analyze harmonic and melodies but at same time I am a Full time working adult with responsibilities and have only so much time ,

I often run into dilemmS do I want to learn some reportiore or transcribe , I often don’t pick the latter

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2805352
01/23/19 07:27 AM
01/23/19 07:27 AM
America
J
Jitin Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jitin  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

America
Also I tend to memorize , but so do the masters and pros, especially when things are tricky

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: lunobili] #2805439
01/23/19 11:13 AM
01/23/19 11:13 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by lunobili
4) At any given time I will be practicing two, maximum three pieces. This means that I can only "play" two/three pieces badly, because they are work in progress. Those learned in the past are forgotten.

That sounds like you may be stuck in the trap of muscle memory. Ask your teacher about how to put a few short pieces into permanent memory. One thing that helps is to memorize the sequence of chords away from the piano, in alphanumeric form.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2805448
01/23/19 11:24 AM
01/23/19 11:24 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pittsburgh,PA
I think it means many things because there are many aspects to music and different types of musicians.

As far as “classical” piano, I have the opinion that if you start late, although you may play well with practice, it’d be quite a feat to play like someone who has played since childhood.- akin to learning a new language;
[Adults can’t learn a new language as well [as a child] because there are formants they lose the ability to speak. - An adult loses the ability to distinguish in hearing those subtle sounds spoken of a foreign language.]

But - as far as composing and appreciation for music, that’s completely a subjective experience more relying on the learning of composing and what one was exposed to in life to direct their tastes.
I like to think myself as someone who plays an instrument whether it’s “well seasoned” or not.
For the same reason that tastes in music are different to everyone and that there are many types of music.

So march to your own drummer… hahaha..

Even so , I still get envious when I see/hear someone playing fantastically!
And too I think there may be medicinal,- meaning therapeutic- benefits to playing an instrument and/or appreciating music on a deep level.

Cheers!!!

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2805717
01/24/19 12:41 AM
01/24/19 12:41 AM
Detroit
F
Fidel Offline
Fidel  Offline
F

Detroit
When you can sit in front of an audience and play a piece from start to finish, you're a piano player. Ditto if you post your reordings on the www.

A pianist is similar but does it for a living.

"the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." -- Chaucer.
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: JohnSprung] #2805721
01/24/19 01:10 AM
01/24/19 01:10 AM
Japan
L
lunobili Offline
lunobili  Offline
L

Japan
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Originally Posted by lunobili
4) At any given time I will be practicing two, maximum three pieces. This means that I can only "play" two/three pieces badly, because they are work in progress. Those learned in the past are forgotten.

That sounds like you may be stuck in the trap of muscle memory. Ask your teacher about how to put a few short pieces into permanent memory. One thing that helps is to memorize the sequence of chords away from the piano, in alphanumeric form.

Thinking of it, you are probably right. Thanks, I will look into this.

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: patH] #2805728
01/24/19 02:27 AM
01/24/19 02:27 AM
Phoenix
tbonesays Offline
tbonesays  Offline

Phoenix
Originally Posted by patH
An interesting question.
In my opinion, if there's one piece of music you can produce on the piano the way you want, then you can play the piano. Even if the piece is 4'33" by John Cage.

It's like with other skills, like chess. If you know the rules of the game, then you can play chess. Even if most of your opponents checkmate you in less than 10 moves.

I'd build on this to demark the line at knowing the basic rules unique to the game. You can play chess once you know how the pieces move and what "castling" is. You can play the piano once you can read the notes and know how to strike the appropriate keys, regardless of how long it takes you to do that well.

"Motivation is simple, you eliminate anyone who isn't motivated." - Lou Holtz.
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Fidel] #2805729
01/24/19 02:34 AM
01/24/19 02:34 AM
Portland, OR
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
tangleweeds  Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

1000 Post Club Member

Portland, OR
Originally Posted by Fidel

That would mean there are precious few pianists in the world.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Fidel] #2805731
01/24/19 02:50 AM
01/24/19 02:50 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
When you can sit in front of an audience and play a piece from start to finish, you're a piano player. Ditto if you post your reordings on the www.

Nonsense!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: BruceD] #2805795
01/24/19 08:10 AM
01/24/19 08:10 AM
In the Ozarks of Missouri
NobleHouse Offline
2000 Post Club Member
NobleHouse  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

In the Ozarks of Missouri
Originally Posted by BruceD

Nonsense!

I must agree with BruceD! thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Jitin] #2805833
01/24/19 09:50 AM
01/24/19 09:50 AM
The Netherlands
K
Keselo Offline
Keselo  Offline
K

The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jitin
Also I tend to memorize , but so do the masters and pros, especially when things are tricky

They memorize, but I would think most professionals rely on their reading ability to get a piece into their fingers. Memorizing from the start makes little sense to me from a time perspective.

I've started playing January 2017, Nothing is too easy is where I keep track of my progress.

[Linked Image]
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Keselo] #2805844
01/24/19 10:02 AM
01/24/19 10:02 AM
Georgia, USA
Sam S Offline

3000 Post Club Member
Sam S  Offline

3000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Keselo

They memorize, but I would think most professionals rely on their reading ability to get a piece into their fingers. Memorizing from the start makes little sense to me from a time perspective.

Actually, memorizing from the start is a very good technique. Break it up into sections, do whatever it takes to memorize a section, using as many different techniques as possible, and divorce yourself from looking at the music as soon as possible. Don't look at the music while practicing, except to refresh or check on problems. I also go back occasionally and play it from the score to make sure errors are not creeping in. I memorized my "half" recital for school this way, and am now working on the "full" recital. Of course, I am 65 years old - maybe this is an old man's technique...

Sam

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Fidel] #2805851
01/24/19 10:19 AM
01/24/19 10:19 AM
Maine
Peyton Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Peyton  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Maine

I would differentiate between an amateur pianist and a professional pianist. I would call both "pianists".

"Nothing moves...where would it go?"
www.youtube.com/Biffer5
www.peytonart.com

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2805859
01/24/19 10:35 AM
01/24/19 10:35 AM
Pittsburgh,PA
piano_primo_1 Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano_primo_1  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Pittsburgh,PA
it means you have restless arm and hands syndrome and found an outlet.! smile Otherwise you'd be playing the air and people would get all nervous and stuff around you! crazy

Last edited by piano_primo_1; 01/24/19 10:37 AM.

Cheers!!!

Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Fidel] #2805867
01/24/19 10:48 AM
01/24/19 10:48 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California

As I've seen them used, the term pianist leans mostly classical, while piano player leans the other way. A piano player may work for tips in a brandy snifter in bars and restaurants. Some friends of mine put one with a couple bucks in it on my piano at home.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Sam S] #2805982
01/24/19 01:24 PM
01/24/19 01:24 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

Midwest USA
Originally Posted by Sam S
Originally Posted by Keselo

Actually, memorizing from the start is a very good technique. Break it up into sections, do whatever it takes to memorize a section, using as many different techniques as possible, and divorce yourself from looking at the music as soon as possible. Don't look at the music while practicing, except to refresh or check on problems. I also go back occasionally and play it from the score to make sure errors are not creeping in. I memorized my "half" recital for school this way, and am now working on the "full" recital. Of course, I am 65 years old - maybe this is an old man's technique...

Sam
Hmm, I would say memorizing from the start has some merit for an experienced player, but not for a rank beginner. At some point (early on is better), one needs to be able to read from a score and find one's way around the keyboard without looking at the keyboard.

[Linked Image]
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: Stubbie] #2805990
01/24/19 01:36 PM
01/24/19 01:36 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content

5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Stubbie
Hmm, I would say memorizing from the start has some merit for an experienced player, but not for a rank beginner. At some point (early on is better), one needs to be able to read from a score and find one's way around the keyboard without looking at the keyboard.

I would say a good memory can even be more a hinderance than a help at the beginning. I've found myself staring intently at the score yet realizing I see nothing... Because I actually am playing it from my head! Which is why I think people with good memories need to actually make a special effort on sight-reading as I mentioned above.

across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: What does it mean - to be able to play piano? [Re: PianoStartsAt33] #2806030
01/24/19 02:34 PM
01/24/19 02:34 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Victoria, BC
As music becomes more complex, one has to develop the skill of looking alternately both at the music and at the keyboard. It's often the case with beginners (and I've seen it even in those who are early-intermediate (whatever that might mean)) that they can't do both. One player I know who passed an intermediate examination in piano because of the requirement to memorize, still cannot continue to play while s/he looks at the score. The pianist looks at the score, plays a measure or two and then stops while looking back at the score to find the place. There is no small amount of skill involved (geographical memory?) in being able to glance away from the score and then return to the correct spot two or three measures later and continue without interruption.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Song to the Moon
by bennevis. 07/16/19 02:04 PM
Faster, more precise action-
by Sanfrancisco. 07/16/19 01:45 PM
Apps and MIDI Comtrollers for a Yamaha P115
by Rick.Prenzl. 07/16/19 07:50 AM
Yamaha YDP-164
by Avalanch. 07/16/19 07:10 AM
Caramoor Festival - Messaien
by LXXXVIIIdentes. 07/16/19 01:07 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,032
Posts2,848,999
Members93,895
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission