Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
121 registered members (anotherscott, Aimer, AaronSF, b3maniac, astrotoy, Avalanch, aphexdisklavier, beeboss, ando, 36251, 22 invisible), 3,403 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Debussy plays Clair de Lune [Re: prout] #2805365
01/23/19 08:13 AM
01/23/19 08:13 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
bennevis  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by prout
bennivis: The techology of Voyager is 47 years old. It classifies as 'antique' and yet, reproduces a useable signal from the original sensor data.

The Voyagers were launched in 1977, and used the most up-to-date computer technology then available. Computers have been around since the Second World War. Apollo 11 sent men to the moon in 1969. How many years of refinement in technology is that?

When 78s and piano rolls were born, no-one even had an inkling of computers.

As a scientist I would be happy to compare and discuss the commonalities between chalk and cheese. Both contain calicium, chalk in the of calcium carbonate, and cheese in the form usually of calcium lactate. Both are readily absorbed by the body and contribute to several areas of human health. Regarding apples and oranges, both are excellent sources of potassium and vitamin C, so, not a lot of difference. I am not sure why you used such similar items to try and discredit my observations.

If you still want to keep on that tack, I could go on & on, because part of my study & training for my job includes the workings of the human body, health and nutrition - as well as several science subjects -, but I won't, because it's really getting silly.

Let's just say that cheese is an organic substance made from milk, and contains fat, casein and lactose. Chalk is none of that. Any similarity is purely coincidental.

I do have an agenda to push. It is to encourage people to experience new things. .

That is very commendable, but you're going about it by adopting a totally unfounded air of superiority (if anyone disagrees with me, they are uneducated/stupid/asleep, blah, blah) and using spurious arguments - including the selective use of 'evidence' to back up your arguments. Why do you think that everyone else have closed minds?

I suggest you listen to the recordings of Ricardo Viñes, who was the favorite interpreter of both Ravel and Debussy, if you want some idea of how their music was played during the composers' lifetime, rather than keep looking around for more fake videos where the playing is unrhythmic, just to back up your agenda. Viñes recorded quite a lot of Debussy. There is also a video of him talking about his friend.

BTW, if you've read some of my past posts, you'll know that I'm all for freedom of interpretation - which was why I mentioned Raoul Koczalski (have you listen to his playing yet?), Alfred Cortot and the like.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Debussy plays Clair de Lune [Re: NobleHouse] #2805551
01/23/19 03:45 PM
01/23/19 03:45 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by GoldmanT
I don't have time to dig up the relevant thread at the moment (will find it later) but it's pretty much accepted Debussy didn't record Claire de Lune on the piano roll system - he recorded maybe ten (?) pieces, mainly later pieces like the preludes, but not this one.

This whole thread is based on a fake recording?? grin

Well then, never mind my comments cool

Can we say for sure if it's real or fake? So far the arguments against this being real are that it's not part of another group of Debussy's Welte rolls that have a good provenance, and that the solo doesn't sound like the way he comps for singers.

But does it sound like anyone else who was actively making Welte rolls? Granted the chronology issue does rule out Christopher Marlowe.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Debussy plays Clair de Lune [Re: prout] #2805604
01/23/19 05:43 PM
01/23/19 05:43 PM
G
GoldmanT Offline
GoldmanT  Offline
G

From this link: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...e-lune-very-interesting.html#Post1312325

"According to the above, the only person ever to record Debussy's Clair de lune on the Welte-Mignon system was Cecile de Horvath. Five pianists recorded it on other types of piano rolls; in alphabetical order: George Copeland, Herbert Fryer, Walter Gieseking, Yolanda Mero, and Olga Samaroff. My guess is that the link starting off this thread is a recording by Walter Gieseking. It sounds like he might have played that way in his youth (sorry if that sounds rude, hehe), and I also notice that the works on the "Masters of the Piano Roll: Debussy plays Debussy" CD that were not (apparently) recorded by Debussy, are listed as recorded by either Gieseking or Rudolph Ganz. So maybe at some stage a mixture of Debussy, Gieseking and Ganz recordings were mistakenly attributed exclusively to Debussy?"

This link has a list of piano roll recordings: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...e-lune-very-interesting.html#Post1312325

Never tried searching for recordings though.....

To be honest though, a lot of the comments in this thread probably still stand when listening to the Debussy piano rolls he actually made, a lot of the nuanced notation and dynamics/tempo marks aren't followed as much as you might think by a composer who obviously put so much time into notating them that way.

Re: Debussy plays Clair de Lune [Re: prout] #2805639
01/23/19 06:57 PM
01/23/19 06:57 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Reseda, California

OK so the thing we're listening to exists. But who created it? Walter? Cecile? Rudolph? Claude? Somebody else? Has anyone heard the known Cecile version?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brass lick
by fatar760. 09/15/19 05:59 PM
Was Rachmaninov really a "triple threat"?
by pianoloverus. 09/15/19 05:31 PM
In ear headphones
by KevinM. 09/15/19 04:16 PM
Using an Institutional Piano at Home?
by navindra. 09/15/19 04:12 PM
Yohan Kim
by pianoloverus. 09/15/19 03:54 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,055
Posts2,869,751
Members94,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission