2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
90 members (Beemer, aphexdisklavier, AndrewJCW, anotherscott, 36251, Anglagard44, 21 invisible), 994 guests, and 540 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
An Internet-based Classical Piano Competition
#2791352 12/14/18 05:53 PM
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Just wanted to announce that Reddit's r/piano subreddit and the Discord Pinano Server are currently hosting an Internet-based classical piano competition and anyone/everyone is welcome to enter. Deadline for submission is December 31. Contest rules are here. Submission is via video recording and posting of one's entire program taken in one unbroken take. All official video submissions will be available for viewing after the competition runs.

BTW, one Reddit r/piano member has already created a first draft video recording of her program which I linked to in this other PW post over there, so her program is a sample.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: An Internet-based Classical Piano Competition
Tyrone Slothrop #2791471 12/15/18 04:12 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice! One other place to waste time online... I mean, educate myself further, because that's totally what I'm doing when I'm in front of the computer. Yes yes *nods*

-Nah, seriously, this looks very promising. Thank you smile

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Sibylle #2791963 12/16/18 11:55 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sibylle
Nice! One other place to waste time online... I mean, educate myself further, because that's totally what I'm doing when I'm in front of the computer. Yes yes *nods*

-Nah, seriously, this looks very promising. Thank you smile

LOL, that is how I feel very often as well. whome

[Linked Image]
Tyrone Slothrop #2802805 01/16/19 04:57 PM
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
And the winner of the Classical Division of the First Pinano Discord Piano Competition was just announced by the jury:

vevurka of PianoWorld, Reddit, Twitch, and Discord (@NPhardness)!

And her winning performance is this one which starts with a marvelous performance of Chopin's Ballad No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23:

(I can only imagine that this is difficult for an Internet competition as the competition rules required the entire performance of all consecutive pieces be played in one continuous take without a break in the recording, so correction of errors could only be accomplished through making another ~30 minute recording.)

Here's a Youtube list of all the winning performances in both the Classical and Free Divisions. There will be Gala concert coming up when schedules of the winners are worked out.

Congratulations vevurka! Look forward to your Gala concert! thumb thumb thumb

P.S. A shameless plug for vervurka's live stream: She runs a livestream on Saturday afternoons at 3pm EST at this Twitch link where she takes requests of viewers via her Discord channel and some online request queue. I attended the one on 5 January and she very willingly played my requests which included my favorite piece (La Campanella) and also another wonderful performance of this same Chopin Ballade No. 1 she had entered into the competition.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2802893 01/16/19 08:31 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
And the winner of the Classical Division of the First Pinano Discord Piano Competition was just announced by the jury:

vevurka of PianoWorld, Reddit, Twitch, and Discord (@NPhardness)!

And her winning performance is this one which starts with a marvelous performance of Chopin's Ballad No. 1 in G minor, Op. 23:

(I can only imagine that this is difficult for an Internet competition as the competition rules required the entire performance of all consecutive pieces be played in one continuous take without a break in the recording, so correction of errors could only be accomplished through making another ~30 minute recording.)

Here's a Youtube list of all the winning performances in both the Classical and Free Divisions. There will be Gala concert coming up when schedules of the winners are worked out.

Congratulations vevurka! Look forward to your Gala concert! thumb thumb thumb

P.S. A shameless plug for vervurka's live stream: She runs a livestream on Saturday afternoons at 3pm EST at this Twitch link where she takes requests of viewers via her Discord channel and some online request queue. I attended the one on 5 January and she very willingly played my requests which included my favorite piece (La Campanella) and also another wonderful performance of this same Chopin Ballade No. 1 she had entered into the competition.

YES, congratulations!!

[Linked Image]
Tyrone Slothrop #2802995 01/17/19 06:59 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Huge congrats!

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
Tyrone Slothrop #2803031 01/17/19 08:27 AM
V
V
Thanks so much guys! I am very happy that the reddit/discord communities are starting to host such events for the community. It makes classical piano music more approachable. That is also the reason why I stream on Twitch - some people may say that it is a very weird platform for playing classical piano... But I want to change how young people see the classical music - that it can be performed not only in the concert hall, but it can be also performed at home in a more relaxed fashion. And to make them see that the themes from movies/games/anime have roots there. Since I'm streaming it was quite challenging for me to change my mindset to make my competition recording, because when you stream, mistakes happen, but they just pass through. With the recording they stay... But you all know that. I hope more people will join next community events, the bigger community we have, the more people will come and share passion with us!

Tyrone Slothrop #2803143 01/17/19 01:01 PM
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Excellent performance, vevurka, very impressive!!! Thanks for sharing! You're clearly very experienced and have lots of hours behind you. Looking forward to hearing more, and how I'd love to hear you on a big 'ol concert grand!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Tyrone Slothrop #2803510 01/18/19 10:12 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Read the requirements and looks like this is the kind of piano competition to look forward to.

A few years ago, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. (CBC) hosted a Piano Hero competition 2 years in a row. The contest was open to anybody who is a citizen of Canada regardless of their level of playing. The main problem with the contest was the different levels of playing. There were people who played less changing pieces like "Minuet in G" and similar pieces from the Notebook for Anna M Bach. And people who submitted short pieces like Bach Invention #8. Here you have the top 10% of the group who submitted videos of Chopin nocturnes, Beethoven sonatas or even a movement out of a Rachmaninoff concerto were guaranteed to be in the final. And the ones at the intermediate and the lower levels had no chance of even an honorable mention except their videos are accessible to the public. A contest with different levels of playing should be divided into at least 3 categories (beginner, intermediate, advanced) to give everybody an equal chance of getting a prize.

thepianoplayer416 #2803520 01/18/19 10:32 AM
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Read the requirements and looks like this is the kind of piano competition to look forward to.

Well, since this was the "First" Pinano Discord Piano Competition, I'm hoping for a second one myself. But first for the Gala Concert of the winners of this first competition, which is coming soon I imagine. I'll link it here when that happens.

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2805488 01/23/19 11:58 AM
V
V
The gala is actually split, since the winners don't have a common timezone (US, EU and Asia...). So the winners will play during the weekly recitals of reddit \r\piano discord.

I think that might be a very good idea to do split categories, I will point that out to jury. There were people who did great job with their level, but they could not make it. It was the first time, so there is a lot of room to improvement... I guess they were more like trying the idea, if it could work out for the society we have on reddit \r\piano and its discord.

vevurka #2805497 01/23/19 12:11 PM
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by vevurka
The gala is actually split, since the winners don't have a common timezone (US, EU and Asia...). So the winners will play during the weekly recitals of reddit \r\piano discord.

In this very next recital in 3 days? Don't these recitals overlap with the time of your own Twitch sessions?

Originally Posted by vevurka
I think that might be a very good idea to do split categories, I will point that out to jury. There were people who did great job with their level, but they could not make it. It was the first time, so there is a lot of room to improvement... I guess they were more like trying the idea, if it could work out for the society we have on reddit \r\piano and its discord.

It certainly makes a lot of sense to me to split the Classical and Free Division recitals. They have different audiences.

Were you able to fix your computer?

[Linked Image]

Tyrone Slothrop #2937416 01/23/20 04:34 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wow, at first I couldn’t believe a computer programmer can play that well! I am myself a computer programmer and I also play this ballade but seeing someone play it hundreds of times better made me feel miserable and I experienced such a big envy 😤 But then I read that vevurka actually studied music and has MA in piano and so it makes sense now and I won’t need to abandon my hobby 🥳 Congrats for the well deserved award!

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/23/20 04:35 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Searching for my first piano
by AndresVel - 01/16/21 03:34 PM
Tuning pin video
by accordeur - 01/16/21 03:22 PM
Concert pianist opintions regarding DP actions
by Marc345 - 01/16/21 02:50 PM
Size, placement, brand
by Anjru - 01/16/21 02:31 PM
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,299
Posts3,047,439
Members100,079
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission