2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello all:

I am new to the forum. I don't play the piano myself, but my wife and daughter does. I have been reading much about pianos and trying to learn as much as I can.
We are trying to replace our current upright Yamaha. We have been going to different showrooms and have played many pianos. The ones that she really likes are the Bosendorfer 225 and the 185, Schimmel K195 and K219 and the Fazioli F212 and the F228. She loves the action of the Fazioli and the way the sound just carries for days. She loves the warm touch of the Bosie. But she loves the bang for the buck of the Schimmel. We were thinking about getting the Schimmel. However, for the price of a new Schimmel, I can get a used Fazioli or Bosie. We are particularly interested in the 2004 Fazioli F212 that was posted. Knowing that Fazioli constantly always trying to perfect their grands... has there been any significant changes to the F212 since 2004? If so, what are they? If this was you, would you prefer the Schimmel K series or buy a used Bosie or Fazioli?

Thanks in advance for you input!

It will be going into a room that is about 18'x40' with 10' ceilings that is gabled to about 19'. The entire room has wood floors and is furnished with a large sectional sofa. On the far end of the room is a very large breakfast island and kitchen cabinets. We plan to keep this piano indefinitely and probably set up a good schedule maintenance. We are located in Dallas.

Bosendorfer 225
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
How about a used Schimmel for serious bang for the buck.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Fazioli, Schimmel and even Bösendorfer continue to refine their designs over time. Used Fazioli and Bösendorfer are very rare, and Schimmel Konzert models are still fairly rare used. How long are you willing to wait and how far are you willing to travel while looking?

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Why don't you email the company and ask?

info@fazioli.com

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Learux
How about a used Schimmel for serious bang for the buck.

We have a set budget and we want to get the best we can for that amount of money. Unfortunately, the budget is not big enough for a new Fazioli or Bosie.

I actually looked for a used Schimmel, quite rare.

Bosendorfer 225
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by PianoWorksATL
Fazioli, Schimmel and even Bösendorfer continue to refine their designs over time. Used Fazioli and Bösendorfer are very rare, and Schimmel Konzert models are still fairly rare used. How long are you willing to wait and how far are you willing to travel while looking?

I can wait... no rush here

I am willing to travel anywhere within the continental US. I am avoiding anything international so i can avoid taxes, tariffs, customs, extra cost in shipping.

Bosendorfer 225
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
The usual advice applies. Pianos are not like electronics. With electronics, the revamp of a product or the replacement of a product (usually) results in a faster, more efficient product with a far greater amount of processing power for the same money as last season's equivalent, and the product of 15 years ago pales into insignificance in comparison to what we have today.

Pianos are different. There are refinements in the design that might streamline the manufacturing process, or refine the sound, strengthen the sound, make the action faster, improve the tuning stability, and whatever else you can imagine. At the end of the day though, you have to go with the *individual* piano that speaks to you. A Fazioli from 2004 is already an exceptionally high quality piano and if the piano is in good condition it would be good enough for any pianist to practise and record on, and they have exceptional tuning stability, the highest quality action parts, the highest build quality, and it will have a good resale value. What it comes down to is, does your family like the 2004 Fazioli and do you have a good technician who can service the piano for you?

I wouldn't worry two hoots about the piano being superseded by something else. Some people on this forum prefer the newest pianos from a maker, some prefer pianos from 100 years ago that have been fully rebuilt, some prefer hybrids where the piano is an old instrument but has been modified significantly beyond the original design and build.

YAMAHA Artist
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you so much Joe. That is exactly what i want to read.

Bosendorfer 225
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I'm just finishing an excellent book recommended in this forum called "The piano shop on Left Bank." Thad Carhart, the author devoted a chapter to his visit to northern Italy and his afternoon at the Fazioli factory with Mr. Fazioli. Mr. Fazioli's thoughts are very interesting. They only make 30 pianos a year and they have produced less than 1,000 pianos since their existence.

Steve

Bösendorfer 170
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
Their production is a bit higher now. I believe they are at ~110 grands per year.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Their production is a bit higher now. I believe they are at ~110 grands per year.

I could be wrong but I think since that book was published they introduced more models, which could account for the higher production? Certainly in the earliest years they only made concert and semi concert grands.... Or have I got that wrong?

YAMAHA Artist
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

Thank you. The book was published in 2001. Steve

Bösendorfer 170
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't know much about Fazioli. I get mixed reactions from various techs and pianists though. One thing i was curious about is; i heard Fazioli started out making rib crowned soundboards and later switched to compression soundboards. Anyone know if that's true? And the story behind it, if it is true.
Thanks,
-chris

Last edited by Chernobieff Piano; 01/23/19 09:17 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Chernobieff Piano
I don't know much about Fazioli. I get mixed reactions from various techs and pianists though. One thing i was curious about is; i heard Fazioli started out making rib crowned soundboards and later switched to compression soundboards. Anyone know if that's true? And the story behind it, if it is true.
Thanks,
-chris

I service a 3 year old Faz 212, and I am quite sure it is compression crowned by the obvious telltale signs

Steve

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Have you seen the Pianomart listing of a 2004 Fazioli 212 in northern Virgina for 60K?

https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=35002

If I were looking for a used one that might be where I would start.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Rich D.
Have you seen the Pianomart listing of a 2004 Fazioli 212 in northern Virgina for 60K?

https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=35002

If I were looking for a used one that might be where I would start.

Rich

I have reached out to them without a reply.

Bosendorfer 225

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission